• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could...I find that games that dont have a lot of information available are games I don't spend any real time playing. I enjoyed Nitro+ blasterz, but couldnt find any real info on Saber so I just gave up. Didnt have time to pour through videos and find answers.

my backlog is too stronk

This is how I feel with Guilty Gear, despite it being orders of magnitude more popular. You have to search Twitter for finding viable information which I find absurd. With Dustloop being dead, information for fighting games is harder to come by, despite potentially being more abundant. Frustrating.

This is how I feel with Guilty Gear, despite it being orders of magnitude more popular. You have to search Twitter for finding viable information which I find absurd. With Dustloop being dead, information for fighting games is harder to come by, despite potentially being more abundant. Frustrating.
it helps when your character has dedicated players putting info out. Noel has always had that for BlazBlue

I watch videos of good players for combo's/what to do in general.
for combos I need a list to take back and practice. So with videos I generally have to spend time transcribing them. It works, but its added effort when the info isn't there.

Though when it does come to that I will usually post the transcriptions somewhere (dustloop) so others don't have to do the same.

Kumubou

I dont have time for discovery, I just want to play
And I'm not interested in just playing to set plays 24/7 -- I may as well roll dice at that point.

I don't just mean learning conbos and setups (that stuff matters too, but lord knows I am the exact opposite of a lab monster). I mean things like how to approach match-ups, optimal spacing, moment to moment decision making. Why go through learning all of that when you can watch someone who has been doing that for the last two years execute a gameplay far better than you, I or anyone here ever could.
People just want to drop things on Twitter or Facebook to get their 30 seconds of burn and then be left to the ether. Hell, even with things like labeling YouTube videos, what gets you hits today can make it very hard to find three months or three years from now.

One thing I like that a lot of Japanese communities do and I wish more western communities would get do is the concept of having character-specific sites, like wikis and forums and whatnot. However, it's not something I have seen happen yet and I don't expect that to change anytime soon (or ever, really). Too bad Capcom honked the release of SF5 as that could have been a decent monetization opportunity otherwise.

And I'm not interested in just playing to set plays 24/7 -- I may as well roll dice at that point.
I don't set play, well, except as millia

I don't just mean learning conbos and setups (that stuff matters too, but lord knows I am the exact opposite of a lab monster). I mean things like how to approach match-ups, optimal spacing, moment to moment decision making. Why go through learning all of that when you can watch someone who has been doing that for the last two years execute a gameplay far better than you, I or anyone here ever could.
you are always better practicing this stuff *edit in matches* than just watching video though. So much doesnt come through in video. Combos are the main shit I dont want to be bothered labbing

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
its a good thing that my connection is shit and i have no one to play with offline* because i do really enjoy lab time, finding new ways to deal with things and not only collecting things here and there from jp archives

*lmfao fuck no its not

Sayad

I'm going to remember this post when the Korean gawds conquer this game

I DEFINITELY believe the US is going to be the best in KOF though.
The Korean already dominating, an arcade presence speak more to the Japanese scene in general, Tobanga guys and other top tiers groups wont be affected much. It's the guys who made their name in the arcades and the general player base level that will take the hit, things like names you barely ever hear of out side Japan get to beat players like Justin Wong at CPT finals is what will be missing due to this.

As for the KoF thing, does Reynold have a US citizenship?!

Stylish mode was added to Revelator. Should be the same as latest BB stylish mode I think, auto blocking, mash button to combo, press button for specials.

Xrd R stylish mode is actually waaaay better than the one in Blazblue, since it doesn't lock you out of doing stuff normally. Just adds an extra button you can -also- do specials/supers with, and of course it does give you the automatic confirms and all (they're largely pretty good instead of poor in this as well).

On the downside, you do get a defense penalty.

I think it's actually quite a valid choice for new players now, but still fair due to the def penalty.

Sayad

Xrd R stylish mode is actually waaaay better than the one in Blazblue, since it doesn't lock you out of doing stuff normally. Just adds an extra button you can -also- do specials/supers with, and of course it does give you the automatic confirms and all (they're largely pretty good instead of poor in this as well).

On the downside, you do get a defense penalty.

I think it's actually quite a valid choice for new players now, but still fair due to the def penalty.

What's the defense penalty?

for combos I need a list to take back and practice. So with videos I generally have to spend time transcribing them. It works, but its added effort when the info isn't there.

Though when it does come to that I will usually post the transcriptions somewhere (dustloop) so others don't have to do the same.

I actually find transcribing it myself is better. When I see combos written on a wiki there's usually no video reference so I have to work it out visually myself while with a video I can check to see the timing I need to get it down.

Of course there should still be combos written somewhere for people who want them.

Anyways, when's new Es footage coming out?

I'm with Shadow Soldier. I benefit from having the proven transcription, verified by myriad eyes. Sometimes, there's details you just can't garner from a video that are vital to the execution of something. Guilty Gear is notorious for this. That's what made the forum culture of the FG community so fruitful in the 00's - in this way, every game was treated like a science. Now, it's just a bunch of figure heads ejecting into a social media miasma, as Kumubou described.

Maybe I'm just old school, but when discussion was consolidated into one or two websites, it made learning things much easier.

I'm with Shadow Soldier. I benefit from having the proven transcription, verified by myriad eyes. That's what made the forum culture of the FG community so fruitful in the 00's - in this way, every game was treated like a science. Now, it's just a bunch of figure heads ejecting into a social media miasma, as Kumubou described.

Maybe I'm just old school, but when discussion was consolidated into one or two websites, it made learning things much easier.
Blame SRK for screwing it all up.

I'm with Shadow Soldier. I benefit from having the proven transcription, verified by myriad eyes. That's what made the forum culture of the FG community so fruitful in the 00's - in this way, every game was treated like a science. Now, it's just a bunch of figure heads ejecting into a social media miasma, as Kumubou described.

My friend never showed me how he did zangief's SPD in the 90s and said if you don't block the entire singleplayer, you can fight shen long. That is old school.

Blame SRK for screwing it all up.

I don't see why only SRK is to blame. It's really the migration to social media that changed things. Even Smashboards, probably the most prolific forum from that era, is relatively dead compared to how it was back in even 2010.

My friend never showed me how he did zangief's SPD in the 90s and said if you don't block the entire singleplayer, you can fight shen long. That is old school.

Nah, son.

In my youth, I got locked into a room full of literal thugs that threatened to annihilate me if I attempted to leave, because one of their friends were determined to beat my Guile in Street Fighter 2. Had to jump out a window to escape!

That's old school!

Skilletor

Had a new player over my house this past weekend. Has only played SF4, and decided he wanted to learn Guile in SF5.

He was trying a combo, and he kept jumping u/b. He would do: j.hp, and then he would jump u/b. I thought maybe he was trying to do a flashkick and missing a c.mp, so I asked him.

He said:

I'm charging u/b for a sonic boom.

And, like, I couldn't understand those words. For a good minute I said, "Why would you charge u/b?" He broke me for a second.

So I explained to him d/b, and he understood, but he'd been practicing u/b charge for hours apparently and still messed it up because of muscle memory.

Where do new players learn this? I don't even understand why you would charge u/b, where a mistake nets you a jump, over d/b, where a mistake nets you a crouch.

I don't see why only SRK is to blame. It's really the migration to social media that changed things. Even Smashboards, probably the most prolific forum from that era, is relatively dead compared to how it was back in even 2010.
Smashboards is still pretty popular. I know a lot of folks that peruse it on a daily basis. SRK looks like a clickbait site now.

Had a new player over my house this past weekend. Has only played SF4, and decided he wanted to learn Guile in SF5.

He was trying a combo, and he kept jumping u/b. He would do: j.hp, and then he would jump u/b. I thought maybe he was trying to do a flashkick and missing a c.mp, so I asked him.

He said:

I'm charging u/b for a sonic boom.

And, like, I couldn't understand those words. For a good minute I said, "Why would you charge u/b?" He broke me for a second.

So I explained to him d/b, and he understood, but he'd been practicing u/b charge for hours apparently and still messed it up because of muscle memory.

Where do new players learn this? I don't even understand why you would charge u/b, where a mistake nets you a jump, over d/b, where a mistake nets you a crouch.
Maybe someone told him to always stay moving, or he thinks it's safer to be jumping away?

I know when I was a kid, everyone jumped everywhere. If you were in danger, you held up back and just kept going until you were a respectable distance away...

Smashboards is still pretty popular. I know a lot of folks that peruse it on a daily basis. SRK looks like a clickbait site now.

Maybe someone told him to always stay moving, or he thinks it's safer to be jumping away?

I know when I was a kid, everyone jumped everywhere. If you were in danger, you held up back and just kept going until you were a respectable distance away...

Smashboards is relatively popular, yes, that's my point. But it's nowhere near as busy as it was in the mid-late 00's.

is this the first confirmation of KOF14 PC version?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETA9WPU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
91e87mBA5kL._SL1500_.jpg

Anne

you are always better practicing this stuff *edit in matches* than just watching video though. So much doesnt come through in video. Combos are the main shit I dont want to be bothered labbing

Yeah but even that you can see in videos. Like the dsicovery aspect is learnign tools and match ups and I don't really get to do that much or come to my own conclusions sometimes. I just see the tool applied optimally or close to optimally in JP play and there it is.

Kumu is right, I can deal with it a bit better personally but I also play catch up extremely quickly if I have info in front of me.

play catch up extremely quickly if I have info in front of me.
I think thats what I like though. I just dont have the time I wish I had, so I am able to get competitive much faster using other info rather than trying to get there on my own with the herd.

Granted I'd still be all for getting rid of early arcade releases and playing the games much sooner. Considering how much bigger games ASW console games are than their arcade versions though...I dont see it happening with them. Those arcade releases help fund the console releases

Messiah

Anne

I think thats what I like though. I just dont have the time I wish I had, so I am able to get competitive much faster using other info rather than trying to get there on my own with the herd.

Granted I'd still be all for getting rid of early arcade releases and playing the games much sooner. Considering how much bigger games ASW console games are than their arcade versions though...I dont see it happening with them. Those arcade releases help fund the console releases

Eh at some point it's not very fun and it creates other problems. Personally I'm tired of the game showing up a year late, a few players get close to optimal in a week or a month, everybody else who can't do that gets dusted and quits, and then we play the waiting game again.

Eh at some point it's not very fun and it creates other problems. Personally I'm tired of the game showing up a year late, a few players get close to optimal in a week or a month, everybody else who can't do that gets dusted and quits, and then we play the waiting game again.
itd be great, I just dont see it happening, at least for a while. Arcades in japan would have to die down quite a bit, and if that happens I would also worry about ASW pulling a capcom and releasing barebones games on console to make up for the lack of dev time and revenue source.

Anne

itd be great, I just dont see it happening, at least for a while. Arcades in japan would have to die down quite a bit, and if that happens I would also worry about ASW pulling a capcom and releasing barebones games on console to make up for the lack of dev time and revenue source.

I'm not expecting it to change, but I am still saying it is supper shitty. It's the kind of thing that significantly stunts a community's growth and people like me and Kumu show exactly why that happens on the upper end.

Aside from Jystin and Du the Americas will always get washed. Infiltration never had too much of the arcades to help him dominate, it is how he trains, other regions have always been good at practicing smart and I don't expect that to change.

I never mentioned anything about arcades or Infiltration or whatever, I'm just saying Justin is probably competitive internationally atm or at least has potential to be. I'm actually on the side of things that thinks arcade advantage is minimal and the other community effects are worth talking about more right now.

I know, I'm not arguing with you I'm just yelling at clouds.
ok then, I'll yell with you...or move to chicago...or maybe a round 1 could open in pittsburgh...thatd be cool

Despite arcades being a complete nickel and dime scheme, it is a really fun experience to just sit down and play at a cab for hours, getting random no lag matches with whoever while in an atmosphere that really promotes it. Its like casual play rooms at tourneys, but available every day. I wish we could see a resurgence in the US more than anything. Then we could have our early versions and compete. However our country is also just too big for that to work for all players.

I'm also probably one of the few that would feel that way too. Considering how much money it can eat to play at a cab all the time. Ironic too since I despise mobile gaming

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I should have turned off the stream after Justin won. What was said after made me think about the last few years and it's just making me more mad. Blegh, sorry for clogging up the thread.

What was said? Slash's headphones for me were going in and out, so I barely heard commentary for SFV. :-/

It's all good, lol. It just sort of solidifies my resolve to not be involved with the community up here or attend local events again. I'll just play with folks on an individual basis when I have time or maybe attend the events that the communities I'm OK with run.

Noooooo don't leave meeeeeeeeeeeee. I can' t be Slash's lackey and your replacement for Chris and such, lol.

Hah! They were patting themselves on the back about the event and thanking a bunch of folks for making it happen. I thought about the last few years and I realized I've never been publicly acknowledged by them for what I did. Not just with the international players but how much work I had put in, in general.

It's shocking how one revelation really leads to a bunch of others, lol.

I don't think I was publicly acknowledged fwiw - just a lot of thanks on Sunday from Deniz and Dugg. But that's something I am hoping to fix if I decide to get involved more.

gamers taking things for granted is nothing new

sorry about all that, man

People taking things for granted you mean, lol

Yeah. I guess it's a good thing you haven't really hopped into the FGC up here, lol.

Wait, is Beef a local???

lol, thanks man

If you're specifically talking about NWM though, I found out about it months ago when I was flat broke so I wasn't too interested in it. Then I forgot about it entirely until one of my roommates reminded me because she's been bugging me to help her train in Smash 4, and I found out from one of the Smash TOs that friendly stations were $30 and I laughed and stayed home.

I get done with training at Nintendo sometime next week so I'll have a better idea of what my general schedule will be like going forward, so maybe we can work something out to have a session or something.

Ahh fun fun.

Just other events in general, not NWM, hehe. Yeah, that casual/friendlies price was silly and it went up compared to last year for no real good reason, tbh.

Let me know when that schedule solidifies.

Prices went up because we're already capped on people at the venue. :/ I'm not sure having people come from casuals would have been a good thing (venue had someone on site frequently checking to make sure we didn't go past the limit from what I can tell). I am gonna ask how many casual badges we sold though; I don't think there were many.

Would folks be interested in an event recap / breakdown from a volunteer perspective on here, or just Shouta? :D

phone coaching is absurd, but I always like coaching at tournies. Ive had friends say random shit in my ear, and it adds a layer that I just find interesting when watching streams

FACE

Banned

I have a twitter account exclusively to follow JP elphelt players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom