• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
Hi guys, just wanted to say in a sea of internet shit and trolling, thanks for the support from this community over the years. I greatly appreciate it.

Daigod stream saturday gooooo I want to bop them

miku

Hi guys, just wanted to say in a sea of internet shit and trolling, thanks for the support from this community over the years. I greatly appreciate it.

Can we expect something like this?

xKEE3xe.gif

.la1n

Does my heart good to see that much KI coverage. Always a step up to not be playing pools out of the dumpster behind the venue :p

I mean...if a TO told me that I had to play on a fuckin trash can - no, scratch that, a setup being held by two trash cans - i'd probably just tell him/her to fuck off. At that point, you need to question if your dignity is worth more than fighters.

https://twitter.com/ComboBreakerFGC/status/728300540480774144

Don't get players complaining about caps and death pools.
I wish there weren't caps but it's completely understandable. The venues are small. I think that the more entrants, the better the tournament. It builds up anticipation, and the crowd will likely be louder which just makes a tournament more fun for spetators and stream viewers.

I hope these tournaments get bigger venues next year.

Numb

I mean...if a TO told me that I had to play on a fuckin trash can - no, scratch that, a setup being held by two trash cans - i'd probably just tell him/her to fuck off. At that point, you need to question if your dignity is worth more than fighters.

OP is full of garbage
It was meant to be

CurlyW

I wish there weren't caps but it's completely understandable. The venues are small. I think that the more entrants, the better the tournament. It builds up anticipation, and the crowd will likely be louder which just makes a tournament more fun for spetators and stream viewers.

Venue size is the least of the concerns that motivated this decision.

Number of setups, Number of pools, Number of players per pool, Scheduling factors, Availability of volunteers, Availability of volunteers that know what they're doing.

I do think the bigger the numbers the more hype it brings to the event. Would have been nice to see a 600 or 700 man SFV tourney at Combo Breaker but I think they made the right decision. We don't need more tournaments running like the way FR did this year(and practically every other year I went). CEO is gunning to be the next 1,000 man tourney, we'll how smoothly that runs.

CurlyW

Here's the really crazy thing though.

Capcom Pro Tour 2016 US Events:

FR (Premier): 1024 entrants
NCR (Premier): 400
WCW (Ranking): 328
TXS (Ranking): 324
NWM (Ranking): 322
DHA (Ranking): 314
CB (Ranking): 512 (plus a wait list of 35-40)

We got more registrants than a Premier Event and registration doesn't even fully close until Monday. It's flat out nuts and completely unexpected.

That list is quite impressive. We have 9 tournaments this year that reached 300(including Winter Brawl and CEO). Last year I think only two tourney's reached 300(FR and CEO). FR reached 1,000, CB reached 500 and could have easily had much more, and CEO also has a good chance at 1,000. No SF4 tourney in its history ever reached 500 outside of EVO. And then their is EVO with their 4k announcement not too long ago. I hope the game can maintain this growth for many years to come.

BTW I do think they should reconsider NCR's status as a Premier event with Combo Breaker as the replacement. UltraChen touched on this subject a while back when the CPT 2016 was announced. CB pulls in big numbers and is in a part of the country that is far away from all the other US premier events so it fills a void for the players in that region. Probably not likely but I think CB is deserving of it.

Japan had a few 300 man tournaments in SF4 including a 1000 man tournament for the Topanga Charity. Stunfest had about 500 last year.

But yes, the tournaments have been consistently bigger this year. The momochoco tournament a few days ago also had 300 players.

So far Stunfest has 347 registered players for SFV.

http://www.stunfest.fr/competitions/registered-players/

Notables:
Eita
Go1
Dogura
Humanbomb
MBR
Will2pac
Genius
Cuongster
Valmaster
Luffy

Btw, I still don't understand why Japan only gets 3 tournements on the cpt. It's the strongest region in Asia. Their tournaments would likely all get more than 200 players which other tournaments in Asia will struggle to get.

That list is quite impressive. We have 9 tournaments this year that reached 300(including Winter Brawl and CEO). Last year I think only two tourney's reached 300(FR and CEO). FR reached 1,000, CB reached 500 and could have easily had much more, and CEO also has a good chance at 1,000. No SF4 tourney in its history ever reached 500 outside of EVO. And then their is EVO with their 4k announcement not too long ago. I hope the game can maintain this growth for many years to come.

BTW I do think they should reconsider NCR's status as a Premier event with Combo Breaker as the replacement. UltraChen touched on this subject a while back when the CPT 2016 was announced. CB pulls in big numbers and is in a part of the country that is far away from all the other US premier events so it fills a void for the players in that region. Probably not likely but I think CB is deserving of it.

Didn't a Premier spot get freed up because Infiltration won it when he already had one? It would be interesting to see that spot moved to Combo Breaker. Because it's so close, it's really unlikely something like that would happen, especially when there's a cap and people basically couldn't decide to try to enter if the status changed now, but it would be interesting to see happen.

Didn't a Premier spot get freed up because Infiltration won it when he already had one? It would be interesting to see that spot moved to Combo Breaker. Because it's so close, it's really unlikely something like that would happen, especially when there's a cap and people basically couldn't decide to try to enter if the status changed now, but it would be interesting to see happen.
That's not how it works. By freeing up a spot, they mean it opens up a qualification spot on the global leaderboards.

Originally:
12 premier auto qualification,
top 8 non-auto qualified players on global leaderboards qualify

After Infil's NCR win:
11 players can qualify through a first place finish at a premier
Top 9 of global leaderboards qualify for Capcom Cup

So if you look at the global points leaderboard right now, the top 9 players with points under Infiltration will qualify.

Owensboro

Hey Art. You seem super nice, are entertaining, and fun to root for.
Hopefully that negates some internet hate.

Bop em!

FACE

Banned
So far Stunfest has 347 registered players for SFV.

http://www.stunfest.fr/competitions/registered-players/

Notables:
Eita
Go1
Dogura
Humanbomb
MBR
Will2pac
Genius
Cuongster
Valmaster
Luffy

Btw, I still don't understand why Japan only gets 3 tournements on the cpt. It's the strongest region in Asia. Their tournaments would likely all get more than 200 players which other tournaments in Asia will struggle to get.

I don't get it, either. Specially when there seems to be a ranking event a week in the US.

Nuu

Banned

Poverty game through and through.

Here's the really crazy thing though.

Capcom Pro Tour 2016 US Events:

FR (Premier): 1024 entrants
NCR (Premier): 400
WCW (Ranking): 328
TXS (Ranking): 324
NWM (Ranking): 322
DHA (Ranking): 314
CB (Ranking): 512 (plus a wait list of 35-40)

We got more registrants than a Premier Event and registration doesn't even fully close until Monday. It's flat out nuts and completely unexpected.

Combobreaker is exploding. It's one of the few tournaments held in the Midwest. And Chicagoland, Milwaukee area, and Ohio are hungry.

I remember ten years ago or so most games at Evo didn't even break 100 entries. The scene is growing crazy fast.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I don't get it, either. Specially when there seems to be a ranking event a week in the US.

There isn't much incentive to hold tournaments in a country where paying money as a prize for winning is illegal.

shaowebb

Holy shit! I wake up and Culdcept Revolt is getting its own Nintendo Direct, Trouble Witches is hitting steam...whats next Marvel 4? Injustice 2?

Its like my day off is just making dreams come true for me today! All it needs now is fighting game news that I've been waiting for...or a musou. :D
*for the record I am a shmup fanatic, musou lover, and place Culdcept as the greatest achievement in gaming*

Are we due for more KOF news maybe?

I was already under the impression that CB was a premier event given the size and scale of the tourney. If there's any event that deserves it, it's CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom