• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Holy shit at Disney closing Avalanche studios. All those jobs...only interesting thing is that Disney has stated they will now move entirely to a licensing based model for videogames.

Disney...is looking to license their properties again. Just let that one sit in the back of your mind Marvel fans.
I'll be looking forward to Disney doubling their output on iOS

Tripon

Netherrealm's games have sold like gangbusters though. At last, we can get a DC vs. Marvel.

Not at the level that Disney apparently wants.

They had 1st place in the Toys-To-Life category and decided that it made more sense to exit out of the business.

This was posted Jan. 2nd,

Catapulted by both anticipation and Star Wars: The Force Awakens' release in December, Disney Infinity Star Wars games and toys have raked in over $200 million in sales this fall.

Thanks to revenue from the Disney Infinity: 3.0 The Force Awakens play set, released on the same day as the film, the franchise has now passed both Skylanders and LEGO Dimensions in the toys-to-life category, according to Fortune. In December, John Vignocchi, VP of production at Disney Interactive Studios, confirmed the game's number-one ranking in the genre.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01...lar-toys-to-life-series-thanks-to-star-wars-2

A DC vs Marvel game greenlit today would still take years to make and even if there's no development time was committed on Disney's side, it probably wouldn't make sense to tie up the Marvel franchise up like that especially since Injustice 2 is slated for release either this year or next year.

Not at the level that Disney apparently wants.

They had 1st place in the Toys-To-Life category and decided that it made more sense to exit out of the business.

This was posted Jan. 2nd,

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01...lar-toys-to-life-series-thanks-to-star-wars-2

A DC vs Marvel game greenlit today would still take years to make and even if there's no development time was committed on Disney's side, it probably wouldn't make sense to tie up the Marvel franchise up like that especially since Injustice 2 is slated for release either this year or next year.

I still believe

shaowebb

I'll be looking forward to Disney doubling their output on iOS
This more than likely would be the way they'd go. Unless Sony or Microsoft decide they wanna start shelling out for licenses to get the series exclusive to their console (not likely).

Netherrealm's games have sold like gangbusters though. At last, we can get a DC vs. Marvel.

I would be down for that. It'd be something new. Yeah yeah yeah, its not MVC style gameplay. Not everything needs to be. Injustice and MKX are damned fun and their rosters are pretty fucking viable all the way across the cast. Very few duds. Plus a string based Marvel fighter would definitely give a more cinematic looking fight. I still remember how awesome it was seeing Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, and Lobo doin their things in Injustice. Really cool shit that was true to their characters and powersets. Some goofy stances (I'll never forgive them for that Batman idle stance), but the game was fucking great.

I'd love to see it if for no other reason than getting to see how they'd handle Ironman and Captain America in string based NRS combat styles. Sixteen Bit you gotta be feeling me on this one. :)
Oh baby talk dirty to me... :p
Bring it on. I am more than ready for more Injustice.

shaowebb

lmao @ mvc4 being a thing.
let it go guys
just give me a spiderman game by rocksteady

I'd be down for anything with a swing mechanic at this point. I fucking adored the movement and combat in Bionic Commando and it was always fun swinging in Spidey games. I miss that style of play.

shaowebb

Come to think of it has there ever been an all Spiderman comic fighting game? Dude has a ton of cast to draw from...he sure had the beat em ups.

Thores

What if Injustice 2 was Marvel vs DC? Lego Marvel Super Heroes means that WB Games and Disney/Marvel have already collaborated, and that started development before Injustice 2 did, which means that the potential is there for them to have a working relationship that lets this happen. Marvel mentioned that we'd start hearing about console games with big developers sometime this year. Plus Injustice was about the DC heroes stumbling into an alternate universe anyway, imagine if the second one was them going to the Marvel universe.

Do I think it's likely? Nah, I don't think I could confidently make that bet. But it maybe, just maybe, could happen, and I wasn't able to say that 2 years ago.

Anyway whatever NRS' next game is, it's probably a March/April 2017 release. A new fighting game in one of those months, every two years, is the pattern they've been following since MK9.

shaowebb

What if Injustice 2 was Marvel vs DC? Lego Marvel Super Heroes means that WB Games and Disney/Marvel have already collaborated, and that started development before Injustice 2 did, which means that the potential is there for them to have a working relationship that lets this happen. Marvel mentioned that we'd start hearing about console games with big developers sometime this year. Plus Injustice was about the DC heroes stumbling into an alternate universe anyway, imagine if the second one was them going to the Marvel universe.

Do I think it's likely? Nah, I don't think I could confidently make that bet. But it maybe, just maybe, could happen, and I wasn't able to say that 2 years ago.

Anyway whatever NRS' next game is, it's probably a March/April 2017 release. A new fighting game in one of those months, every two years, is the pattern they've been following since MK9.

Yeah the Lego relationship with WB and Disney is one that makes a lot of fighting game folks excited. That game needs to happen at some point. Its too big a thing not to. Could you imagine the comic book series tie in and all the milking they could get outta that thing? Heck the Injustice mobile game is still doin well. They'd likely do another tie in as well.

BTW the Injustice comic is still goin and its still great. Considering Injustice is all "what if" dark stuff it'd be fun to see Marvel treated similarly and have folks go through loss and deal with the same kind of god complex stuff that DC did. Thing is Marvel does that all the time already lol.

Either way game would be great to see. I'd really love to see how Cap would be handled. Hell I mained Hawkgirl and Bane after Arrow's damage was too little for me...that makes me curious how Hulk would do in NRS hands.

shaowebb

Jesus Christ. NRS doing marvel would suck. imo of course.

But hell naw. I don't need the stiff dark injustice treatment on Marvel people.

Ever read Age of Apocalypse? Marvel has done dark.

I think NRS and Marvel is fine. They did fantastic by DC. They won awards, had huge profits, great comic book tie ins, solid continuing content revenue and lots of hype tournaments and competitive gameplay. NRS doing Marvel isn't "NRS attempting to do MVC gameplay" its just NRS making an NRS title and using Marvel cast. NRS using DC worked out great and they captured a lot of the characters and combat well. The Shazam stuff was great, Bane was a treat, and all the DLC was super fun (yes post patch LOBO was awesome). Like I said, some goofy stances (batman/flash) but whatever. Gameplay was fun and all the gimmicks fit the characters and was stylish and awesome.

It'd just be a fresh take is all I'm saying. NRS was fun and fine with DC in Injustice and if they were ever so lucky to get Marvel for anything I for one would think it'd be damned hype. Could you imagine the "Super" for someone like Wolverine or The Hulk? We had an orbital punch from Superman, Bane Broke your back, Doomsday tore you through the planet, and Batman hit you with the Batmobile! It'd be hype to see what they'd do for Marvel supers.

Perro

I hope the new NRS/DC game is not grimdark. Get rid of injustice and go for a more cartonish style also try to make the game to not look like a MK game.

Did they talked about the CB numbers at Ultrachen?

shaowebb

I hope the new NRS/DC game is not grimdark. Get rid of injustice and go for a more cartonish style also try to make the game to not look like a MK game.

Did they talked about the CB numbers at Ultrachen?

If ANY comicbook fighting game looked like the stuff that Platinum is doing with cel shading in games like Transformers Devastation of that new Ninja Turtles title I would be all for it. Those look amazing.

Ever read Age of Apocalypse? Marvel has done dark.

I think NRS and Marvel is fine. They did fantastic by DC. They won awards, had huge profits, great comic book tie ins, solid continuing content revenue and lots of hype tournaments and competitive gameplay. NRS doing Marvel isn't "NRS attempting to do MVC gameplay" its just NRS making an NRS title and using Marvel cast. NRS using DC worked out great and they captured a lot of the characters and combat well. The Shazam stuff was great, Bane was a treat, and all the DLC was super fun (yes post patch LOBO was awesome). Like I said, some goofy stances (batman/flash) but whatever. Gameplay was fun and all the gimmicks fit the characters and was stylish and awesome.

It'd just be a fresh take is all I'm saying. NRS was fun and fine with DC in Injustice and if they were ever so lucky to get Marvel for anything I for one would think it'd be damned hype. Could you imagine the "Super" for someone like Wolverine or The Hulk? We had an orbital punch from Superman, Bane Broke your back, Doomsday tore you through the planet, and Batman hit you with the Batmobile! It'd be hype to see what they'd do for Marvel supers.

I don't mean tone. I know marvel can go dark.

I mean how the game looked. moved and animated.

I disagree with you on this other stuff. I didn't feel the supers were that exciting and movement felt stiff to me. Nobody felt like a superhero to me really.

We all have different opinions though :)

I just like Capcoms's take on super heroes better than NRS's. Glad a bunch of people enjoyed it of course.

Speaking of fresh takes, I would love for Capcom to make a DCAU fighting game and what they would do with the move sets for everybody.

Spuck-uk

Banned
If ANY comicbook fighting game looked like the stuff that Platinum is doing with cel shading in games like Transformers Devastation of that new Ninja Turtles title I would be all for it. Those look amazing.

You're aiming too low. Imagine a comic book game with the Xrd art style..

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

oneida

Also, I hate to say it but I can't make Toryuken this year. Graduation is May 21st, prolly can't miss that.

Will try to make it to Canada Cup, all depends on the work situation

Nuu

Banned

AAK

Also, I hate to say it but I can't make Toryuken this year. Graduation is May 21st, prolly can't miss that.

Will try to make it to Canada Cup, all depends on the work situation

:'(

I definitely am not gonna be able to make it to CanadaCup. In case we don't meet again, thanks for keeping the VF spirit up. I can safely say the sets I would have with you, Luke, and the rest of the Toronto VF community were some of the best times I had those entire weekends. Good luck in MA!

oneida

Skipped my graduation. /shrug

university graduation ceremonies stink and are boring. i skipped both of mine, i did go to the smaller one just for my college though.

I skipped mine, but I only went to a tech school for a 2 year degree. Saw 0 reason to go

My whole family is coming up for it, 7 hour drive, so I've definitely gotta be there

:'(

I definitely am not gonna be able to make it to CanadaCup. In case we don't meet again, thanks for keeping the VF spirit up. I can safely say the sets I would have with you, Luke, and the rest of the Toronto VF community were some of the best times I had those entire weekends. Good luck in MA!

mannnnn :(
ggs for sure AAK, if PSN ever stops being terrible (PS4 port? PC port?) we should get some sets in.

Neoxon

I don't even think I'd want a new Marvel vs Capcom game by Capcom.

People said this about Marvel 3 which looked even more hopeless for a new entry before it was announced.

Skullgirls has an impressive showing. So does Vampire Savior. Where's Capcom vs SNK 2?
He's right, you know. That being said, Capcom isn't exactly in the best of financial shape. Granted, they aren't doing terribly per-say, but not well enough to pay whatever premium licensing fee that Disney is asking for. Could Disney lower the licensing fee to encourage more developers to take on their properties, certainly. But if that will happen remains to be seen.

Stunfest updated the pre-reg list. It bumped up from 347 to 425 players already signed up. Not sure when it closes and if there is on the day registration (there was last year).

Korea's road to evo has 86 players signed up thus far.

Sayad

People said this about Marvel 3 which looked even more hopeless for a new entry before it was announced.
Really don't remember that being the case, especially after SFIV's success and TvC giving people hope for another MvC. Not to mention that was a time when Capcom was still giving their old IPs a chance, hell they even entertained the idea of an MML3
lol

What is Bhalla?!

shaowebb

Holy shit this is a good morning. Culdcept Revolt puts out a ton of new card info, and after years I find something worthy of avatar status. Mother Fucking Kaiser Penguin!

My love of penguins can now be realized in card form. There really REALLY needs to be a penguin themed fighter in a fighting game for me to main someday. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom