• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
Eita was asking Daigo and Fuudo for advice on how to attract a sponsor. That will probably be a very difficult task. Most teams are picking up American players because they play on the biggest stage almost weekly. Most of the top Asians got picked up years ago but none have been getting sponsored nowadays. Despite Infil's dominance, he only just got a sponsor not too long ago. Tokido and Mago lost their sponsorship and neither have gotten picked up by another team yet.

So Daigo is still technically MCZ Daigo. It's just that he has a partnership with Red Bull to do other stuff? That's how I understood it.

I really don't like how there's a billion ranking events in america but nothing in other regions.

Eita was asking Daigo and Fuudo for advice on how to attract a sponsor. That will probably be a very difficult task. Most teams are picking up American players because they play on the biggest stage almost weekly. Most of the top Asians got picked up years ago but none have been getting sponsored nowadays. Despite Infil's dominance, he only just got a sponsor not too long ago. Tokido and Mago lost their sponsorship and neither have gotten picked up by another team yet.

So Daigo is still technically MCZ Daigo. It's just that he has a partnership with Red Bull to do other stuff? That's how I understood it.

It is harder for the East, but if Infiltration wanted a sponsor like Alex Myers and LPN, he could have easily gotten one.

shaowebb

Just got home and read over the past 3 pages since I brought up the let it rock damage style of marvel and TOD. Really good input from everyone. I really liked the high stakes neutral vs high neutral emphasis comments and the example of DualKevin's team setup as what marvel felt like it was intended to produce in team structure. I also agree that big damage where you spend xfactor and a shitload of bars is fair. Same as any other game and its respective resources.Combos that end with enough meter to level 3 for unscaled stuff is pretty sloppy scaling or meter output balance IMO. Thats like getting to use a KI ender in a game not built around that as the method of getting damage lol.

Anyhow good discussion. I wish we'd do more of these.

Core takeaways I think we can agree with:

1. Meter build should not be so great in a combo that it guarantees netting lvl 3 style enders or so much resource surplus that you get to abuse tools that should only be occassional rewards and not the standard status of the character.
IE-meter gain needs serious peer checking on characters in fighting games to avoid Zero UMVC3 situations.

2. Things like throws and light attacks are not things you should be able to kill off of. They're not very risky. Light attacks should always scale heavily to balance out their general safe nature and throws in general do good damage and allowing them to be followed up by long combos is a sign of a TOD in the making.
IE-scale hard on shit thats massive damage or super safe or you'll see a lot of safe tools overly rewarded or a lot of big damage evolve into TOD.

3. Neutral is exciting and if your game turns into a first to get hit loses situation then you've really eliminated one of the best aspects for players and fans. Having lots of movement options is good but if the payoff is so long off of any touch that someone has time to go make a sandwich you just cut out a lot of the gaming for half the players in the match.

Neoxon

I guess Black Panther played Sean in Street Fighter III growing up.

cdw1s8P.gif

W5vNZ6g.gif

shaowebb

Just read probably the most likely idea from a "what changes do you want in Injustice 2" thread on TYM.

Someone suggested being able to choose a custom gimmick.

Holy shit yes. Folks always had conversations about how much better their main would be if they had some other character's gimmick tool. Lots of times folks just felt some gimmicks were useless like Shazam's punch buff thing. I played a lot of Arcana Heart and if suddenly character gimmicks were like Arcanas in Injustice it'd be fucking incredible. Choose a gimmick, gain certain specials or passives (potentially even an xfactor or supers like AH3) and balance it by having each gimmick equipped change the players HP and damage output stats.

Fingers crossed we see something like Arcanas in place of gimmicks in Injustice 2. Lord knows I'd choose a better tool for Shazam or Green Arrow.

jediyoshi

She was terrible when I played as her, but there were people who played her in the beta that swear up and down that she is good.

She wrecks Winston/Reinhardt's utility. If attackers are pushing with shields in payload, she's the #1 go to.

Nuu

Banned
Looking at the gaming side main page you guys are right. It's becoming a little too gamefaqs.

NeoGaf has been going downhill for years. I feel that those that run the site always wanted it to be a place of more "serious" discussion. Thus they began banning things like the iconic large gifs, smilies, and shoot to shit topics. Ironically, rather than their new rules and what not facilitating quality discussion, it led to a "safe space" for arm chair analysts. This why the Gaming board is nothing but news and circle jerk repeat discussions.

The Offtopic board I feel is what was hit the most.It has gotten to the point where you literally can't have a different opinion without immediately fighting an onslaught of the hivemind. Political threads are the absolute worst for this. It seems that anyone who doesn't agree with "the American Democratic Party is infallible and pro-social justice is always the correct way no mater the context", and if you fall to the left or the right of that ideology than you're lunatic. The site's political discussions used to be at least somewhat insightful and informative, but unfortunately it lost a shit-ton of quality posters either from bullshit permabans from them simply expressing a different opinion or them just packing up and leaving.

If it wasn't for this thread I would most likely be done with this site.

s10satsu

Banned
Just got home and read over the past 3 pages since I brought up the let it rock damage style of marvel and TOD. Really good input from everyone. I really liked the high stakes neutral vs high neutral emphasis comments and the example of DualKevin's team setup as what marvel felt like it was intended to produce in team structure. I also agree that big damage where you spend xfactor and a shitload of bars is fair. Same as any other game and its respective resources.Combos that end with enough meter to level 3 for unscaled stuff is pretty sloppy scaling or meter output balance IMO. Thats like getting to use a KI ender in a game not built around that as the method of getting damage lol.

Anyhow good discussion. I wish we'd do more of these.

Core takeaways I think we can agree with:

1. Meter build should not be so great in a combo that it guarantees netting lvl 3 style enders or so much resource surplus that you get to abuse tools that should only be occassional rewards and not the standard status of the character.
IE-meter gain needs serious peer checking on characters in fighting games to avoid Zero UMVC3 situations.

2. Things like throws and light attacks are not things you should be able to kill off of. They're not very risky. Light attacks should always scale heavily to balance out their general safe nature and throws in general do good damage and allowing them to be followed up by long combos is a sign of a TOD in the making.
IE-scale hard on shit thats massive damage or super safe or you'll see a lot of safe tools overly rewarded or a lot of big damage evolve into TOD.

3. Neutral is exciting and if your game turns into a first to get hit loses situation then you've really eliminated one of the best aspects for players and fans. Having lots of movement options is good but if the payoff is so long off of any touch that someone has time to go make a sandwich you just cut out a lot of the gaming for half the players in the match.

I mean, you can generally look at how well regarded games like GGAC and MVC2/3 are and see that people enjoy super strong characters generally. TOD also matters much less in team games like MVC and KOF. What people generally don't like tends to be long combos that you just have to watch like TAC infinites, OG Skullgirls, or a lot of BBCS combos. This is especially true if it is repetitive and doesn't change much.

But ya, basically your 3 points are good. I think the easiest way to not worry about TODs is just to have built-in hitstun/damage/meter gain scaling and then avoid any kind of unblockables.

Sayad

Capocom should try to advertise CPT events better, just make a two minutes video mentioning the weeks events, time, stream links and maybe notable players. CPT related videos get tons of views on Capcom Fighters, would do a lot to help increase stream viewers.

Ideally, those would show up in the game, but that's kinda too much to ask from Capcom right now. ;p

NeoGaf has been going downhill for years. I feel that those that run the site always wanted it to be a place of more "serious" discussion. Thus they began banning things like the iconic large gifs, smilies, and shoot to shit topics. Ironically, rather than their new rules and what not facilitating quality discussion, it led to a "safe space" for arm chair analysts. This why the Gaming board is nothing but news and circle jerk repeat discussions.

The Offtopic board I feel is what was hit the most.It has gotten to the point where you literally can't have a different opinion without immediately fighting an onslaught of the hivemind. Political threads are the absolute worst for this. It seems that anyone who doesn't agree with "the American Democratic Party is infallible and pro-social justice is always the correct way no mater the context", and if you fall to the left or the right of that ideology than you're lunatic. The site's political discussions used to be at least somewhat insightful and informative, but unfortunately it lost a shit-ton of quality posters either from bullshit permabans from them simply expressing a different opinion or them just packing up and leaving.

If it wasn't for this thread I would most likely be done with this site.
"but guys pls, we need to be on gaming side"

Kalamari

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feel this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom