• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, congrats and good luck in the finals. From what they said in ATP Live, you can't enter any more T7 tournaments that have qualifying spots unless you forfeit yours, is that right? Kind of a brutal way to prevent gate-keeping, and can't imagine it applying to bigger tournaments like EVO and what not!

It applies to any tournament on the Tekken Tour which is every tournament that Tekken 7 is at which is not EVO. I'm not going to EVO for multiple reasons so I'm pretty much done for the whole year.

Tricky part though is

1.) There is no way to practice for the tournament at the end of the year other than going to these events.

2.) Finals will be on FR not normal Tekken 7.

pizzacat

Banned
So a few days ago I uploaded a video of a comeback I made against a Necalli player just because I thought it looked kind of cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPdhXgQHGFQ

I didn't pay any attention to who the guy was. But when I went back and watched it again today I thought the name seemed kind of familiar. So I went back and looked at matches that I've uploaded in the past. And I come across a old match that I uploaded 5 years ago during the SSF4 AE era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLRPjbO0Pk

Dude has almost the same name. It looks like he has a new crew now I guess. So yeah I just wanted to post that because it's such a coincidence to randomly upload a match against the same guy again after so many years.
I haven't watched the videos yet but I hope that guy didn't realize he's still getting bodied by his sfiv demons :(

Oh you took the win after all those years cool, also you had a clean ass e ryu

shaowebb

Pokken bombed in arcades, the game got middling reviews, and the Wii U is at the end of its life.

Still has one of the best 1st party libraries in Nintendo history though so I know I had fun with it.

In the end though whether its SFV or Pokken or some other game who cares? Just ask yourself if its fun and are people out there enjoying it and supporting it in the FGC. If the answer is yes then screw the numbers unless you are the person in particular trying to make a living making the title. We're gamers. Lets just enjoy things and forget about the numbers. Seems like so many titles have people enjoying them till they are told they are a minority then they just sheepishly quiet down and leave the scene. Feels like a disservice.

Maybe its just me getting old and deciding I'll like what I want and feel others shouldn't be influenced by whats popular either. Let the developers worry about all the numbers. Our job is to force opponents to produce more salt :)

The King of Europe is back.

ep511-18.PNG

FACE

Banned
It applies to any tournament on the Tekken Tour which is every tournament that Tekken 7 is at which is not EVO. I'm not going to EVO for multiple reasons so I'm pretty much done for the whole year.

Tricky part though is

1.) There is no way to practice for the tournament at the end of the year other than going to these events.

2.) Finals will be on FR not normal Tekken 7.

Are there any casual setups in those events where you can practice?

Are there any casual setups in those events where you can practice?

Yes there are but of course you need to go to these events to practice & that costs money. I'm planning to try & hit up a few of the closer events to practice. I am playing a brand new character & I need to gain as much situational awarness as possible before finals.

Revelator top player long sets with English commentary (dunno if these were ever linked here)

Mike (Jack-O) vs Hase (Slayer)
Samitto (Chipp) vs FG (Jack-O)
310 (Venom) vs Jonio (Johnny)
Karinchu (Johnny) vs Nakamura (Millia)

Two more ft7s coming up this weekend ; En (Slayer) vs Mocchi (Sol) and Rion (Ky) vs Endou (Chipp)
How exactly do Jack-O's little guys work? I see the player doing some pretty solid, consistent, and planned resets and strings, which means they must be figured out.

Sayad

How exactly do Jack-O's little guys work? I see the player doing some pretty solid, consistent, and planned resets and strings, which means they must be figured out.
Not sure what you mean exactly, but it's not as technical as it seems to implement ghosts into combos since Jako's confirms are easy, even from weird situations, same goes for block strings. That and the ghosts are basic enough to know/predict what they'll do, especially during rush-down mode when they're more aggressive.

Basically, setting up and protecting the ghosts until they level up is a struggle, but once they're out there, working with them to pressure/combo/reset is simple enough.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but it's not as technical as it seems to implement ghosts into combos since Jako's confirms are easy, even from weird situations, same goes for block strings. That and the ghosts are basic enough to know/predict what they'll do, especially during rush-down mode when they're more aggressive.
Do they attack on a timer once they reach proximity, or do they attack solely based on proximity? I notice there was an aerial throw loop at one point in that first set. Jack-o threw her opponent, the little guys juggled, and then re-throw. So I'm wondering if those guys wait until the opponent is near to attack, so the reset is reliable, or if they just poke poke poke and the player got a bit lucky with the timing.

Beckx

this is pretty wild. 4 games eat up 65% of all twitch viewing time. the remainder is left for everyone else to fight over.

it helps put fighting games as esport into perspective because you can see what you're up against to get real money/exposure.

Sayad

Do they attack on a timer once they reach proximity, or do they attack solely based on proximity? I notice there was an aerial throw loop at one point in that first set. Jack-o threw her opponent, the little guys juggled, and then re-throw. So I'm wondering if those guys wait until the opponent is near to attack, so the reset is reliable, or if they just poke poke poke and the player got a bit lucky with the timing.
Pretty much that
- They are set to attack once target within a certain range from them(mages won't attack unless thr target is in the air, backdashes don't trigger them though)
- The moment you're in that range they will start the attack
- After attacking there's a cool down before the same ghost attack again

So yea, they're easy to work with, mages work really well to confirm from throws, just throw them toward a far enough mage so by the time it attacks you recovered and have enough time to confirm.

this is pretty wild. 4 games eat up nearly 80% of all twitch viewing time. the remainder is left for everyone else to fight over.

it helps put fighting games as esport into perspective because you can see what you're up against to get real money/exposure.
That's how it has been for the past decade in general(and the past 5 or so years for streaming), with CoD on consoles compared to everything else, and at one point LoL had about 30 million active monthly users when the highest steam game had less than 2 million active monthly users(this was before or during Dota2's early beta).

It's actually refreshing to see other games climb that list instead of just lol hugging the viewers.

Pretty much that
- They are set to attack once target within a certain range from them(mages won't attack unless thr target is in the air, backdashes don't trigger them though)
- The moment you're in that range they will start the attack
- After attacking there's a cool down before the same ghost attack again

So yea, they're easy to work with, mages work really well to confirm from throws, just throw them toward a far enough mage so by the time it attacks you recovered and have enough time to confirm.
That is so well-designed! Thank you!

Kalamari

this is pretty wild. 4 games eat up 65% of all twitch viewing time. the remainder is left for everyone else to fight over.

Seems to pretty much mirror the popularity of real sports. You have your Baseball, Football, and Basketball garnering most of the attention of the public while you the less popular sports like Bowling, Ping Pong, and Billiards left struggling for attention.

Seems to pretty much mirror the popularity of real sports. You have your Baseball, Football, and Basketball garnering most of the attention of the public while you the less popular sports like Bowling, Ping Pong, and Billiards left struggling for attention.

Is SF the boxing of eSports?

Nuu

Banned

I only see one legitimately good game out of those four games.

What sport is fighting games in this comparison? Hockey? No that's too regional. Oh boxing! Ehh that's too cultural as it varies country to country. Umm...Martial Arts tournaments? Popular in Japan, but has following world-wide despite not being that "mainstream" while an off-shoot MMA (Smash Bros.) is far more popular with the younger crowd?

Street fighter have 0 chance to get as big as those 4 games. If any fighting game can do it it's MK. Which is a shame because imo none of those top 4 are interesting to watch.

Zissou

More players = more people who understand the game at some level and are more likely to become spectators. Need to be F2P to get those kinds of numbers (with the exception of CS:GO which is inexpensive)

Dahbomb

Look at what those 4 top games have in common then realize FGs aren't getting there anytime soon until they change up their models.

Swarna

Street fighter have 0 chance to get as big as those 4 games. If any fighting game can do it it's MK. Which is a shame because imo none of those top 4 are interesting to watch.

MK's initial launch viewership isn't the type that is retainable like the audience of the top 4. Console gamers who buy a $60 title and are engaged for a few weeks before moving on/getting bored are not part of the long-term live streaming audience. CoD's popularity on Twitch relative to its size should illustrate this.

Regular viewership has to be grown and nurtured over time even if you've got the concurrent population in-game. In terms of regular fighting game viewership, Melee and SFV are farther along than MKX. When comparing year-on-year viewership (SFV with USF4 previously) at the same events there is nothing but growth for both of these games.

MKX charting in that graph is due to it being the AAA hit release of the month for the month in question (April 2015). Nothing more, nothing less. It's hard to pinpoint exactly how much initial launch success/sales carries over to regular viewership as the only real points of reference we have is the MK series and Smash 4. Smash 4's launch (which had insane launch viewership, btw, 100k+ consistently in the first week) has definitely had a positive impact on even Melee's viewership but it's still a weak point of reference to use since it's not the same game.

The way everything around a traditional fighting game is designed is also not conducive to retaining players themselves.

Capcom's fucking dumb, seriously. They're adding single-player content NOW after they already missed the time frame to capture that audience. All focus should go towards adding on to/improving/fixing the multi-player aspects, tbh. That they're spending time on extra single-player shit now beyond the planned aspects just makes me think they are incompetent as fuck like all the rest (pre-launch before I learned about the pricing/content I thought they were set).

Kumubou

no current fg developer will ever get it right.
And people thought I was joking when I said that Capcom has been killing e-sports for years. Basically until a fighting game developer can actually implement structures and systems that are used by successful games nowadays, the entire genre isn't worth any sponsors time or energy.

I really don't think Capcom is going to get another shot at this, especially if another developer (like, oh, I don't know, Riot?) comes and eats their lunch.

NEO0MJ

Fighting games will never get there period no matter what model they take.

As much as I hate to admit it I'm with ZTS. Fighters just never had that kind of popularity. I mean even if we go back over a decade ago strategy games like Warcraft were super popular, much more so than even Tekken 3.

As much as I hate to admit it I'm with ZTS. Fighters just never had that kind of popularity. I mean even if we go back over a decade ago strategy games like Warcraft were super popular, much more so than even Tekken 3.

They are too hard to play, they cost too much to make, and they aren't a team game.

Nuu

Banned
Fighting games will never get there period no matter what model they take.

Fighting games biggest strength is their biggest weakness. It is a genre that you will only do as good as your skill. There are no other players to help you out defeat your opponents. There is no map where you can find and sneak up on enemies. There no skills and levels to go through to gradually unlock abilities. You have what you get and you will only damage your opponent to the extent of the two of you.

It is probably the most high learning curve competitive genre out there, as it takes three digit hours of practice to just not suck. I've put in hundreds of hours into the genre since getting into it, and I am only now getting at the point where I can fight random people online and not always get bodied, as well as being able to somewhat hold my own in tournaments.

Meanwhile, I haven't played a mutliplayer first person shooter in years, band I consistently got in the top two or three players on my team in the Overwatch Beta. To be fair some of this could be due to the player base, as game's like Killer Instinct and Smash aren't as unforgiving when playing others due to their being more casuals playing those games. But even in those games, it's tough for a newbie to get some licks, which is a huge turnoff in an era where every gamer essentially wants a "win" button or else the game "sucks".

stn

Capcom's fucking dumb, seriously. They're adding single-player content NOW after they already missed the time frame to capture that audience. All focus should go towards adding on to/improving/fixing the multi-player aspects, tbh. That they're spending time on extra single-player shit now beyond the planned aspects just makes me think they are incompetent as fuck like all the rest (pre-launch before I learned about the pricing/content I thought they were set).
Agreed. I do believe that the casual players who would have bought SF5 for single-player have now moved on. No doubt there will be some casual players who decide to invest in the game after a story mode release and/or price drop, but the "day one hype" sales are probably over. The best thing now would be to introduce character DLC containing every fan favorite. As much as the hardcore might hate shotos, the casual market would probably love the chance to play as Akuma right about now (I know I would).

What I'd do is something like the following:

-Announce 12 characters for season 2, release 6 at the beginning and then 6 at the end of 2017
-Announce a gameplay expansion (ex. multiple v-triggers)
-Gift the colors (seriously, survival SUCKS!)
-More skins, stages, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom