• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
late

To be fair, I'm not sure how mcuh of a gauge combo breaker is for general popularity.
I too wish that Skullgirls was significantly more popular than Marvel 3 and was a staple fighting game, and that Vampire Savior still had an active community. Alas those numbers don't reflect reality.

Mortal Kombat X is usually around Marvel 3 entrants, so if you're going to say MKX is dead then...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
To be fair, I'm not sure how mcuh of a gauge combo breaker is for general popularity.
I too wish that Skullgirls was significantly more popular than Marvel 3 and was a staple fighting game, and that Vampire Savior still had an active community. Alas those numbers don't reflect reality.
then consider CEO preregs where it's head and shoulders above KI, USFIV, marvel and Xrd.

game is gonna be okay and if you're interested in it you should play it.

Nuu

Banned
I never said I believe Mortal Kombat X is dying or dead. I just said that I felt that Combo Breaker wasn't the best barometer.

oneida

I never said I believe Mortal Kombat X is dying or dead. I just said that I felt that Combo Breaker wasn't the best barometer.
Nah but Gunslinger is treating it like it needs an autopsy when its scene is still very active.

shaowebb

I think we all know every game that isn't SFV or Smash is dead lets be real here

Yeah, theres always a lot of heresy that this is the case on message boards lol.

Honestly, I've played so many anime fighters in the past year that I'm really really missing string based NRS stuff. I used to lab a lot in Injustice and hanging with the Bane counsel was always fun as we'd find ways to break rules with his venom shit. Heck I remember labbing ex arrows with Green Arrow forever trying to get more damage out of his feather touches.

BTW I still hold that had Green Arrow's fire arrows exploded on impact and blown you TOWARDS HIM like Reptile's balls it would have done wonders for him. He lacked starters due to his range and was completely reliant on ice arrows both for damage and openers most times. Not like his wakeup options were slaying it for him so the dude needed an opener. Problem was he had little tiny pokes with bad range and his other stuff knocked folks full screen. I get this was to setup a guy who was meant to corner pressure to death but his two best strings were fast to scout. He needed an option to pull guys into combos and to extend them. Fire arrows changing in utility to blow folks towards him would have fixed that and given him far less of a predictable pattern out there.

As history has proven you cannot rank a character's Tier in NRS by how well Chris G performs with them. Reason being is that he's Chris Fuckin G lol.

Hoping we get some arrow changes in the sequel.

oneida

I think MKX does a lot of interesting stuff and I find it really fun to watch, although I never got good at it. I just went online and did that one Jason low-overhead string which combo'd into itself like 4 times and did a shitload of damage.

shaowebb

I think MKX does a lot of interesting stuff and I find it really fun to watch, although I never got good at it. I just went online and did that one Jason low-overhead string which combo'd into itself like 4 times and did a shitload of damage.

Try out D'vorah bug stuff sometime. The stun she induces allows for some crazy link ups and she's got a shitload of launchers to play with. Whole cast has fun stuff. My favorites were:

• Flame Fist Liu Kang's insane chip damage
  • D'Vorah's stun from bugs allowing me to get creative and have fun
  • Puggles the bat flying around making things safe for Quan Chi.
  • NO YOU GONNA LEARN TODAY from Justin Wong to like an 8 year old as he bazookas the kid over and over to death with zoning from Jax.

Shun

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

When reality doesn't meet your preconceived expectations. But you put up with it anyway.

Fp7lhmi.gif

cross post from SFV thread tbh

Back in Canada from my trip to Japan.

Went to the E-Sports Cafe on Wednesday to see how it is and its really nice. You pay the entrance fee for how long you're staying then get a coin (poker chip) thats worth one drink on the menu.

Competition is very high level. I played against Kazunoko & Itazan
got bodied by both.
There was a Birdie player there who I think might've been crusher going by his twitter but not 100% sure. Kichijoji Ken and Supersantarouman was there too.

They had a few setups that were split up by LP. For players that had 2000 LP then another for players that were at 4000LP.

Mostly head to head setups, mostly ran on PC but they had a few PS4's going.

Really nice place, wish I could've stayed longer :(

Cool beans CountBlack. Do you feel like you leveled up? Also how did they treat you as a foreigner? Was it chill?

I didn't get to play long enough to really level up. I only got to play SFV on two different days. I did learn a bit about the Sim MU from a JP player which should help me a bit.

As a foreigner in Japan or in the E-Sports place? The answer to both: They're very nice to everyone lol. It was chill but at the same time since I wasn't able to communicate with anyone it's hard to ask questions about a MU and such.

Beckx

cross post from SFV thread tbh

Back in Canada from my trip to Japan.

Went to the E-Sports Cafe on Wednesday to see how it is and its really nice. You pay the entrance fee for how long you're staying then get a coin (poker chip) thats worth one drink on the menu.

Competition is very high level. I played against Kazunoko & Itazan
got bodied by both.
There was a Birdie player there who I think might've been crusher going by his twitter but not 100% sure. Kichijoji Ken and Supersantarouman was there too.

They had a few setups that were split up by LP. For players that had 2000 LP then another for players that were at 4000LP.

Mostly head to head setups, mostly ran on PC but they had a few PS4's going.

Really nice place, wish I could've stayed longer :(

Nice, in Tokyo the whole time? Dying to go. Someday I'll be able to take the family and do Tokyo/Sapporo/Okinawa.

Nice, in Tokyo the whole time? Dying to go. Someday I'll be able to take the family and do Tokyo/Sapporo/Okinawa.

Yea just Tokyo. I didn't make any reservations for anywhere else and didn't want to end up stranded

Just realized the Birdie player that had a long winning stream at the E-Sports Cafe was Inco. It was at a FT1 station and I was so close to winning a match but made one mistake ;-;

If you only knew how crazy profitable mobile gaming is. The only reason I see them allowing the digital re-release is increasing mindshare of the marvel universe.

That said, imagine MvC3 with the addition of Black Panther and Thanos and WarMachine and Black Widow. The problem, knowing about working on old code-game, it takes a lot of dev time to create new assets and figure out the quirkyness of an old engine. I was brought in to work on a Wii port. It was tough to go back. Its tough to go back to PS3/360 now lol.

I would be happy with a re-release of old titles. Cheaper for Capcom.

shaowebb

It's probably the only way the can use X-Men anf FF characters.
Yeah, really. The mutants and FF are on hard lockdown and then some according to reports in the media.

If you only knew how crazy profitable mobile gaming is. The only reason I see them allowing the digital re-release is increasing mindshare of the marvel universe.

That said, imagine MvC3 with the addition of Black Panther and Thanos and WarMachine and Black Widow. The problem, knowing about working on old code-game, it takes a lot of dev time to create new assets and figure out the quirkyness of an old engine. I was brought in to work on a Wii port. It was tough to go back. Its tough to go back to PS3/360 now lol.

I would be happy with a re-release of old titles. Cheaper for Capcom.
I know the profitability of mobile. Its pretty crazy lucrative for Disney to stay there. Thing is I dont ever see MVC as something Disney would be approaching Capcom to do. I see it as something Capcom would have to approach Disney for permission to do and licensing talk. Thats only even a remote possibility now due to Disney saying they are getting out of development and going full licensed game mode with Marvel.

I dig what you're saying about going back to old code though. I've been through a couple of engines already and you always feel like you're starting over with nothing. I can only imagine what a shift it'd be to go back and try to find your way around through the completed work of another title meant for last gen tech. This is a big reason why I admired the work of Project M so much. They did a helluva lot with old code.

Something odd that sits in my mind lately about Marvel in general though...its an airdash fighter, with wavedashing and potential for Touch of Death and rampantly long combos, mixups, and unblockables.
Yet it has no combo breaker system to keep it in check and people are rabidly in love with it.

Does this mean people prefer to be allowed to "let it rock" to such an extreme degree for hype in sacrifice of game balance or is it just because its Marvel heroes that it gets that kind of sticking power even after the balance goes out the window? Im not saying design away anything powerful because thats wrong and you need to let folks have good tools to abuse and feel cool with, but I am wondering if Marvel is an anomoly due to the license or if this is indicative of something people prefer...the ability to have overwhelmingly broken tools with multiple characters. I see some similar reverie from Jojo and Hokuto no Ken folks...

Something odd that sits in my mind lately about Marvel in general though...its an airdash fighter, with wavedashing and potential for Touch of Death and rampantly long combos, mixups, and unblockables.
Yet it has no combo breaker system to keep it in check and people are rabidly in love with it.

Does this mean people prefer to be allowed to "let it rock" to such an extreme degree for hype in sacrifice of game balance or is it just because its Marvel heroes that it gets that kind of sticking power even after the balance goes out the window? Im not saying design away anything powerful because thats wrong and you need to let folks have good tools to abuse and feel cool with, but I am wondering if Marvel is an anomoly due to the license or if this is indicative of something people prefer...the ability to have overwhelmingly broken tools with multiple characters. I see some similar reverie from Jojo and Hokuto no Ken folks...

Even before you fight, there is a lot of appeal.
I think MvC superficially works because you choose a team and they all have a role in the fight, as a team. People choose bigs or smalls or pick a team based off of lore and the most underrated option "random"

The large cast and how they factor in terms of point, anchor, assist allows you to create synergy and playstyle on a novice level. Movement and the variety of it become more apparent.

Team order, meter management, incoming mixup is something a more advanced player will start getting into, creating 50/50s, resets and max damage combos.

TODs, pushblock setups, mixups into mixups and XF to flip from offense to defense or use it to kill is more of an expert player skill and where I start falling off on the game. Neutral and movement become even more apparent.

If I had a simple wishlist, I would add more costumes, colors and dial a combo EVERY character. I would also add hooks to make the game where you would push the Dailiy Active Users (DAU) up and give bonuses. Also, the card game was super interesting BUT didn't allow you to do LOCAL.

shaowebb

Still begs the question though...do people prefer to just have the whole cast allowed to have unbalanced powerful stuff with no breaker system on deck to reign it in and balance be damned because its fun to make everything feel powerful or do they like it better when you spend more time balancing such tools, toning it down some and adding other systems like breakers to keep things from getting as harsh as Marvel's level of TOD?

I'm honestly not even certain there is a way to answer this question honestly. One, its hard to determine if its preferrable to let it rock to players or if its just because its the Marvel license they enjoy that style of play because its fitting. Two, it comes down to player preferences which vary.

Its just something I find hard to nail down in regards to this game. I know Skullgirls lets it rock but put in an infinite protection and unblockable protection system.

Still begs the question though...do people prefer to just have the whole cast allowed to have unbalanced powerful stuff with no breaker system on deck to reign it in and balance be damned because its fun to make everything feel powerful or do they like it better when you spend more time balancing such tools, toning it down some and adding other systems like breakers to keep things from getting as harsh as Marvel's level of TOD?

I'm honestly not even certain there is a way to answer this question honestly. One, its hard to determine if its preferrable to let it rock to players or if its just because its the Marvel license they enjoy that style of play because its fitting. Two, it comes down to player preferences which vary.

Its just something I find hard to nail down in regards to this game. I know Skullgirls lets it rock but put in an infinite protection and unblockable protection system.
I think the answer is that Mahvel is Mahvel and having the name and the Marvel characters matters a huge deal. There isn't going to be a gameplay-related answer for why those players don't also play GG/BB/SG or even HnK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom