• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarna

lmao You guys act like Starcraft 1/2 never existed. Shit was mega-popular multiple times through history and only dwindled down greatly recently due to MOBA's and an outdated business model. It's also much more complex and harder to learn than fighting games.

You're also not even gonna be mediocre in CS GO until you're hundreds of hours in. Please, don't use a casual shooter that hasn't even been released as some sort of metric for difficulty.

It's easy to say something can't be done if every attempt at it has been incompetent as fuck. Seriously, we've got MKX and SFV over here charging for DLC characters in 2016. lmao But please, continue to rationalize to yourself BS reasons why your favourite games aren't as popular as other ones. The fact of the matter is that everything I take for granted in popular online games is completely absent in fighting games. And no. Single player shit like arcade and story mode is not the way to build and maintain concurrent players.

Dahbomb

Well never say never, crazier things have happened.

But FGs aren't getting there anytime soon that's for sure.

I am also not 100% convinced that the team aspect is that big of a deal considering games like SC and HS do or have done really well. It really boils down to how easy it is to acquire said game and having good online on PC with a good model helps a ton.

Starcraft was only really big in Korea and it was big in for the most part a pre-twitch era. Starcraft's popularity has fallen off for the same reason fighting games have suffered.

Also you hella don't need to put in a ton of hours to be mediocre at CS. I played 1.6 for years. Shit is not hard to play & again, team game , less accountability, built in goals outside of the W.

ShinMaruku

Fighting games will never get there period no matter what model they take.
Of course not, anybody thinking that is deluding themselves.

And people thought I was joking when I said that Capcom has been killing e-sports for years. Basically until a fighting game developer can actually implement structures and systems that are used by successful games nowadays, the entire genre isn't worth any sponsors time or energy.

I really don't think Capcom is going to get another shot at this, especially if another developer (like, oh, I don't know, Riot?) comes and eats their lunch.

Nobody would make the game reach the promised land not even the cult known as riot are the bellends known as Blizzard, what makes the games tick will forever hold it back. It's not the model or the developer or the tournaments that are the bottleneck, the bottleneck is how people can learn the games at a rate that would foster that growth. Nobody will crack that nut and nobody should. I fear the corporation that figures that shit out.

Sayad

They are too hard to play, they cost too much to make, and they aren't a team game.
But all those things apply to strategy game, and those still were much bigger than FGs competitively at one point. Then again, no none Blizzard RTS game(that I know of) was big competitively, so there's that. Maybe if Blizzard made a fighting game! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nuu

Banned
"Putting in hundreds of hours just to be medicore in CounterStrike" is horseshit. I say this as someone who used to frequently play all three games. Put in a dozen hours or so and it won't take you long before you encounter servers where you will be able to hold your own. In contrast it would take well over a hundred hours to just get to that point in a fighting game. Hell CounterStrike was my first multiplayer first person shooter ever, and it didn't take long for me to not get constantly bodied in the game. I never got into Starcraft so I can't comment.

Shit is not hard to play & again, team game , less accountability, built in goals outside of the W.

This really needs to be drilled into people's heads. The comparison wouldn't be fair, even if CounterStrike was difficult to get into.

NEO0MJ

lmao You guys act like Starcraft 1/2 never existed. Shit was mega-popular multiple times through history and only dwindled down greatly recently due to MOBA's and an outdated business model. It's also much more complex and harder to learn than fighting games.

I did mention Warcraft as an example of a competetive game that was much more popular than SF.

But all those things apply to strategy game, and those still were much bigger than FGs competitively at one point. Then again, no none Blizzard RTS game(that I know of) was big competitively, so there's that. Maybe if Blizzard made a fighting game! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So just like fighting games! Well, there was Namco for a while but overall Capcom was the most dominant.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It'll be interesting to see how much traction Radiant's League of Legends fighter gets. Free to play, simplified controls and one of the biggest IP's in gaming attached, if it can't succeed then nothing will.

Nuu

Banned
So just like fighting games! Well, there was Namco for a while but overall Capcom was the most dominant.

Not entirely. Mortal Kombat stood toe to toe with Street Fighter outside Japan. Virtua Fighter was huge in Japan. Namco was the most dominant at a time. And then there's Smash, and now Pokken so maybe Nintendo's going to expand. Not to mention SNK dominating poor countries. But for the Fighting Game Community, there certain was a time period where Capcom was dominant. Outside of Guilty Gear, EVO during the 2000s really was "Capcom Invitational" for 2D fighters. This very ironic because it was during a time period where Capcom literally didn't release a single fighting game except one that no one played.

JeTmAn81

"Putting in hundreds of hours just to be medicore in CounterStrike" is horseshit. I say this as someone who used to frequently play all three games. Put in a dozen hours or so and it won't take you long before you encounter servers where you will be able to hold your own. In contrast it would take well over a hundred hours to just get to that point in a fighting game. Hell CounterStrike was my first multiplayer first person shooter ever, and it didn't take long for me to not get constantly bodied in the game. I never got into Starcraft so I can't comment.

This really needs to be drilled into people's heads. The comparison wouldn't be fair, even if CounterStrike was difficult to get into.

I'm not sure I agree with your ideas of CS's learning curve. Sure, if you have experience in FPS's it probably won't take you that long to get the hang of the basics, but if that was your first FPS it would take forever to get anywhere near decent. Same goes with fighting games. You still have to take the time to learn matchups, but fundamentals from other games seem to transfer over pretty well.

pro tour tho

Worth it for me at least. I'm enjoying the CPT so far. I mean yeah the launch could of been better but the game will have legs with their system regardless of what others think. The fighting game genre will never match the big four numbers but it's honestly popular enough plus it still gets coverage from ESPN and Yahoo sports and others.

shaowebb

I think what we need is a new tag game from 8ing. Balance issues aside they always generated excitement at tournament. I think we need a new hype game soon.

KOF 14 is one I have high hopes of filling that slot though. My god the KOF 13 hype during any tournament was incredible. Especially if you managed to score Juicebox and Hellpockets on commentary. They put on as much hype as the old Jim Ross yelling for Stone Cold announcer shit from the 90s. Damned fine work at getting matches over as well as explaining to the audience whats goin down in technical terms.

Capcom admitting that SFV was shit at launch. Should've just released it this month instead of February.

Completeness matters.

If you want to compete with MKX numbers then sure, but completeness does not matter as much as people would like to think. Would the game have sold better? Maybe a little, but that doesn't mean casuals would have clung longer to it than they would have back in February. The SP content would have lasted them a few more hours and that's probably it.

Capcom needed to do much more than release a more feature complete game if they wanna even approach the numbers that the top esports games do in terms of money and the size of the userbase.

I hope Hellpockets is allowed back on commentary at Evo. The last Evo for KOF13 commentary was a buzzkill. Tokido was giving Xiaohai a fight and they were landing confims into full combos they were just like, "Okay" and generally were monotone.

I hope Hellpockets is allowed back on commentary at Evo. The last Evo for KOF13 commentary was a buzzkill. Tokido was giving Xiaohsi a fight and they were landing confims into full combos they were just like, "Okay" and generally were monotone.

He was commentating for Xrd Top 8 last year at EVO so I'd be surprised if he wasn't allowed to commentate this year, unless something happened that I don't know of.

Dahbomb

I think what we need is a new tag game from 8ing. Balance issues aside they always generated excitement at tournament. I think we need a new hype game soon.

KOF 14 is one I have high hopes of filling that slot though. My god the KOF 13 hype during any tournament was incredible. Especially if you managed to score Juicebox and Hellpockets on commentary. They put on as much hype as the old Jim Ross yelling for Stone Cold announcer shit from the 90s. Damned fine work at getting matches over as well as explaining to the audience whats goin down in technical terms.
Wasn't there some rumor recently that someone is buying 8ing?

I wonder who it is.

BadWolf

I hope Hellpockets is allowed back on commentary at Evo. The last Evo for KOF13 commentary was a buzzkill. Tokido was giving Xiaohai a fight and they were landing confims into full combos they were just like, "Okay" and generally were monotone.

He was commentating for Xrd Top 8 last year at EVO so I'd be surprised if he wasn't allowed to commentate this year, unless something happened that I don't know of.

Iirc he wasn't allowed to commentate that year because he accidentally swore during the grand finals between Reynald and Woo the year before.

notworksafe

Sorry, that was in jest, if you still don't get it, no one but Blizzard made a successful competitive RTS game is what I'm saying.

That much is true. And then they ruined it on their second release and killed their own scene. Same is happening to their MOBA right now too

Even the "eSports Kings" can't figure out eSports. So I guess I agree with Shin when he says
I think the main message here is e-sports is blarney.

Numb

Worth it for me at least. I'm enjoying the CPT so far. I mean yeah the launch could of been better but the game will have legs with their system regardless of what others think. The fighting game genre will never match the big four numbers but it's honestly popular enough plus it still gets coverage from ESPN and Yahoo sports and others.

Alot of the hardcore guys who are into the gameplay way more than anything else share your feelings
Game launched with alot of holes still. Who buys fighting games for the story? Except MKX
Other modes i can understand

Nuu

Banned
I'm not sure I agree with your ideas of CS's learning curve. Sure, if you have experience in FPS's it probably won't take you that long to get the hang of the basics, but if that was your first FPS it would take forever to get anywhere near decent. Same goes with fighting games. You still have to take the time to learn matchups, but fundamentals from other games seem to transfer over pretty well.

It was my first multiplayer FPS ever and it didn't take me long before I would not get bodied hard constantly. Different strokes I guess.

Perro

Why is this esports shit so important anyway?
Also shitting on noobs and scrubs in CS pubs gets old fast try competitive and get bodied like Art in the Daigo show.

Nuu

Banned
Also shitting on noobs and scrubs in CS pubs gets old fast try competitive and get bodied like Art in the Daigo show.

I'm not saying that the competitive CS scene is difficult to get into, just that casual scene isn't. In contrast to most fighting games.

pizzacat

Banned
As someone has told me before it's important to the companies who make these games. I'm betting capcom sees this as a major loss seeing how they sacrificed so much to get SFV into esports land

Tripon

ESports is important if you want a game to last past the first month, even more for years and years.

Especially if you want to pull in new people over the years.

Line_HTX

People want to get in on all the Dota and League money, though I'm hearing that people are starting to complain that Riot has too much control.

aaaAAAaaa, eSports

is marvel esports?

Only when Morrigan and Vergil do their thang, ya know what I'm sayin'?

ShinMaruku

ESports is important if you want a game to last past the first month, even more for years and years.

Especially if you want to pull in new people over the years.

Actually just a strong game that brings in new people and makes learning it fun is all that is needed. Nothing about e-sports.

Again RTSes only got big with StarCraft in Korea at a different time. You gotta remember Brood War is so old now my 40 year old supervisor played it in college. It's like saying Tekken 7 could sell 9 million copies because Tekken 3 did it back in 1997. It's not comparable. StarCraft has been on the heavy decline for awhile.

ShinMaruku

so not fighting games
tumblr_n96cv1Uap21qcxbheo2_500.gif

De fleste bestemt ikke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom