• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
More money is still more money.
64iZdO2.gif
but it's like $5 after the Amazon cut and i don't have to deal with the post office. time is money bro

Lemstar

Still better than trading games in.
Not universally. The best option for offloading an individual item will probably change depending on circumstances; it's up to the seller to decide if the tradeoff of doing research vs finding the most convenient option is worthwhile.

Here's an example: Uncharted 2 trades in for $0.25 at both GameStop and Best Buy. At that price, you might be insulted and think that you'd be better off selling on Amazon.

As previously mentioned, Amazon charges $2.64 in flat fees as well as an additional 15% on the selling fee, which is independent of the $3.99 shipping they require for sellers without a storefront, to the best of my recollection. USPS First Class shipping for packages under 3 ounces is $2.45, so the formula comes out to:

profit = item price*0.85 (variable fees) +3.99 (shipping credit) -2.64 (fixed fees) -2.45 (shipping cost)

If you solve for the break-even price, you'd find that you need to price your item at $5.29 just to avoid losing money on the transaction. Of course, at that price, you'd have about a page of sellers who beat you on price. To make 25 cents of profit on the sale, to match trading it in, you'll have to charge $5.58.

This isn't even an example that's particularly favorable to trading in. Let me know what you'd sell on Amazon and I'll tell you what you could be doing with it.

SC2 + expansions sold comparably to SC1 + Brood Wars, that's nowhere near Tekken's current situation! That and SC2, while on decline, still got bigger esport prizes than SC:BW ever did!
Individual tournament prize money might be larger in SC2, but that doesn't really capture how prominent BW was in Korea. We're talking about a game that was pulling in six digit live crowds more than ten years ago, and that was so popular that the army decided to form a professional team so that conscripted players on their mandatory military service could keep playing on TV.

Nuu

Banned
but it's like $5 after the Amazon cut and i don't have to deal with the post office. time is money bro

And Best Buy isn't out of the way and takes time to deal with.
OqAUpnQ.gif

Not universally. The best option for offloading an individual item will probably change depending on circumstances; it's up to the seller to decide if the tradeoff of doing research vs finding the most convenient option is worthwhile.

Here's an example: Uncharted 2 trades in for $0.25 at both GameStop and Best Buy. At that price, you might be insulted and think that you'd be better off selling on Amazon.

As previously mentioned, Amazon charges $2.64 in flat fees as well as an additional 15% on the selling fee, which is independent of the $3.99 shipping they require for sellers without a storefront, to the best of my recollection. USPS First Class shipping for packages under 3 ounces is $2.45, so the formula comes out to:

profit = item price*0.85 (variable fees) +3.99 (shipping credit) -2.64 (fixed fees) -2.45 (shipping cost)

If you solve for the break-even price, you'd find that you need to price your item at $5.29 just to avoid losing money on the transaction. Of course, at that price, you'd have about a page of sellers who beat you on price. To make 25 cents of profit on the sale, to match trading it in, you'll have to charge $5.58.

This isn't even an example that's particularly favorable to trading in. Let me know what you'd sell on Amazon and I'll tell you what you could be doing with it.
The idea is to buy new games and then once they are beaten and you don't want to keep them you can a sell them for like $40-50 after taxes, fees, and shipping. Selling very old games is rarely worth it unless they are rare.

Lemstar

The idea is to buy new games and then once they are beaten and you don't want to keep them you can a sell them for like $40-50 after taxes, fees, and shipping.
I'm well aware of that; it's just that... why would you sell on Amazon of all places?

Doom just came out three days ago and there are already used listings for $54 on Amazon, which would be $41.25 after fees and shipping. It's impossible to see what price the game's sold at on Amazon, but sold listings on eBay suggests that the market value for a used like new copy is probably closer to $45-50, which would be closer to $36 on Amazon.

At that price, why not consider trading it in at GameStop, where you'll get $43.20 for it?

Dahbomb

SC2 may have had bigger prize money going into it but BW was just more popular. Game was a phenomenon.

I still have Boxer match replays on my harddrive. Legendary stuff.

Also SC1 was a heavily pirated game at LAN centers in Korea (and in other parts of Asia). Pirating games was far more common back in the day but now with Battle.net you can't do that anymore (or at least not as easily). So sales don't paint the full picture either.

Nice breakdown, Lemstar. That's essentially what I was thinking, intuitively, regarding online vs. offline. Most of the stuff that I need to get rid of is at least 2 years old. I don't buy games much.

The only stuff I might go through the trouble of taking the online route is my Nintendo stuff. But there's a part of me that thinks a Wii U might be worth something down the road, some I'm vacillating.

shaowebb

Apparently Maximillian did a video addressing the Disney licensing thing with Marvel since folks blew up his twitter when they said they would be licensing their stuff again.

I got bored and contacted Marvel to see if they could clarify what Marvel characters in particular Disney holds the digital rights to license and if there is any sort of estimate on such licensing costs available to the public if any could even be made outside of case by case scenarios.

If I get anything back from Marvel's licensing department I'll send it to Max for something to post on. If nothing else it should help paint a clear picture to fans about how realistic anything is at this point much like when Skullgirls itemized the costs for a single character to be made.

Never hurts to ask.

Dahbomb

Non-hardcore RTS people just migrated to MOBAs.
Yup. After SC1 people moved on to WC3 but that wasn't all that competitively so people just messed around with the Custom engine on it because it was rad at the time (same for SC1 to some extent). And then the custom map of DOTA was made and people started playing that more than the actual WC3.

Then Riot made their DOTA clone which resulted in people migrating from DOTA 1 to LOL because it had actual MM, good online and hack prevention (plus other fixes that weren't possible on the WC3 custom). DOTA 2 came quite a bit after LOL so people who were hooked with LOL stayed there.

If DOTA 2 came out shortly after DOTA 1 then it would've been #1 game on the planet instead of LOL.

Nuu

Banned
Apparently Maximillian did a video addressing the Disney licensing thing with Marvel since folks blew up his twitter when they said they would be licensing their stuff again.

The thing that hurt me the most in that video was how Marvel 2 sold 2 million units (actually it's 1.4 million) and there is still no scene for the game, despite it selling more than most fighting games. :(

Tripon

Are kidding me? The scene for Marvel 2 lasted a decade and only died out because of Marvel 3.

It's actually healthy for communities to move on the latest game because it helps show development there are demands for new games.

shaowebb

The thing that hurt me the most in that video was how Marvel 2 sold 2 million units (actually it's 1.4 million) and there is still no scene for the game, despite it selling more than most fighting games. :(

It is what it is. I'd just like to shed some clarity with any info they can give. Folks always say its a licensing nightmare and you cant get certain characters so I thought it'd be nice if there was a way to sum all these thoughts up with info from the source.

The direct approach helped me in the past to clarify the status of stuff with other games. Sure settled things about what happened with the localization of Culdcept 3DS when I contacted Nintendo on it. Figure that I'm not the voice that could spread that sorta info if I did get anything outta contacting marvel licensing though. So if I get it then hurray I help Max get hits and help tidy up some misconceptions for folks. He could make more use outta that stuff than me.

Nuu

Banned
Are kidding me? The scene for Marvel 2 lasted a decade and only died out because of Marvel 3.

It's actually healthy for communities to move on the latest game because it helps show development there are demands for new games.

I wish for the Marvel community to be like Smash. Have one side of the community playing the classic game (Melee, Marvel 2), while the other side plays the newest entry (for Wii U, Marvel 3).

It is what it is. I'd just like to shed some clarity with any info they can give. Folks always say its a licensing nightmare and you cant get certain characters so I thought it'd be nice if there was a way to sum all these thoughts up with info from the source.

The direct approach helped me in the past to clarify the status of stuff with other games. Sure settled things about what happened with the localization of Culdcept 3DS when I contacted Nintendo on it. Figure that I'm not the voice that could spread that sorta info if I did get anything outta contacting marvel licensing though. So if I get it then hurray I help Max get hits and help tidy up some misconceptions for folks. He could make more use outta that stuff than me.

People would be really surprised to find out just how much developers and what not will tell them about their games and answer their questions. Much of my knowledge of sprite animation and development costs came directly from me asking developers question on forums.

Dahbomb

A re-release of Marvel 2 sold as much as SFV.

When you say that out loud you realize how badly Capcom messed that up.

shaowebb

I wish for the Marvel community to be like Smash. Have one side of the community playing the classic game (Melee, Marvel 2), while the other side plays the newest entry (for Wii U, Marvel 3).

That...that would actually be pretty cool. Honestly I wish more fans of studios did that. I would have loved for Injustice to stick around alongside of MKX.

Nuu

Banned
A re-release of Marvel 2 sold as much as SFV.

When you say that out loud you realize how badly Capcom messed that up.
No, 1.4 million was SHIPPED for SFV. Marvel 2 shipped 1.4 million copies, but there literally aren't any left except like a dozen or so that go for $500.

So Marvel 2 sold more than Street Fighter V. As it likely deserves to.

That...that would actually be pretty cool. Honestly I wish more fans of studios did that. I would have loved for Injustice to stick around alongside of MKX.

I wished things worked this way. I wish that Third Strike still had a local scene. :(

To be fair this is how The King of Fighters community works.

40% of the community plays 2002. 30% play 98. 30% play whatever the newest version is.

Tripon

Until you realize how much they hate each other because they don't play the right version of their game.

Zissou

Yup. After SC1 people moved on to WC3 but that wasn't all that competitively so people just messed around with the Custom engine on it because it was rad at the time (same for SC1 to some extent). And then the custom map of DOTA was made and people started playing that more than the actual WC3.

Then Riot made their DOTA clone which resulted in people migrating from DOTA 1 to LOL because it had actual MM, good online and hack prevention (plus other fixes that weren't possible on the WC3 custom). DOTA 2 came quite a bit after LOL so people who were hooked with LOL stayed there.

If DOTA 2 came out shortly after DOTA 1 then it would've been #1 game on the planet instead of LOL.

MOBAs go to show that if good mechanics/ideas are stuck in a genre with trappings that people don't like, somebody will cherrypick those ideas/mechanics to form something new, and the original genre will decay.

Tripon

I fail to see how this is relevant.

Regardless, example 2: King of Fighters.

With competing interests and an inability to get along, the Smash community at many times have the inability to get out of their own ass and actually plan for the future.

Edit: Not to mention that Smash is one of the bigger communities out there. You mention King of Fighters, but those guys are minuscule, and it shows at how shows up at tournaments. The entries for XIII are small right now, and so far, the only official tournament for 2002UM of the year outside of the Dream Cancel Cup in Colorado earlier in the year is Combo Breaker.

The KOF community is already dormant. People should be glad that SNK is making XIV, otherwise there's a really good chance KOF community would be dead for years.

Nuu

Banned
With competing interests and an inability to get along, the Smash community at many times have the inability to get out of their own ass and actually plan for the future.

Edit: Not to mention that Smash is one of the bigger communities out there. You mention King of Fighters, but those guys are minuscule, and it shows at how shows up at tournaments. The entries for XIII are small right now, and so far, the only official tournament for 2002UM of the year outside of the Dream Cancel Cup in Colorado earlier in the year is Combo Breaker.

The KOF community is already dormant. People should be glad that SNK is making XIV, otherwise there's a really good chance KOF community would be dead for years.

I fail to see how any of this is relevant. Marvel is much bigger in the US than the King of Fighters. So I don't get why "fractionalization" is a big deal. King of Fighters was also never popular in America, just very popular overseas.

Lemstar

I'm not sure why more people aren't considering bugging Capcom/Disney for a digital rerelease of UMvC3 instead. I don't know how a previously released game would interact with the Marvel character licensing quagmire, but it still seems like less of a reach than an entirely new game.

Nice breakdown, Lemstar. That's essentially what I was thinking, intuitively, regarding online vs. offline. Most of the stuff that I need to get rid of is at least 2 years old. I don't buy games much.

The only stuff I might go through the trouble of taking the online route is my Nintendo stuff. But there's a part of me that thinks a Wii U might be worth something down the road, some I'm vacillating.
If you want some more specific input, you can send me a list of stuff you're thinking about getting rid of.

So is Amazon always a bad option? I wish I could sell my textbooks on there...
Not sure about textbooks specifically; my intuition is that selling them to students from the same school you used them at is always going to be the best option. The same problem of exorbitant fees still applies, though.

Tripon

I fail to see how any of this is relevant. Marvel is much bigger in the US than the King of Fighters. So I don't get why "fractionalization" is a big deal. King of Fighters was also never popular in America, just very popular overseas.

You're the one who brought up King of Fighters.

shaowebb

Apparently there's a Marvel 4 petition out there:

https://www.change.org/p/walt-disne...&utm_source=petition_show&utm_medium=copylink

By the Marvel reddit community.

udNWEelyjZUPxWE-800x450-noPad.jpg

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US

Huh...apparently they are only 460 away from 10000 signatures actually. Well good on them for trying to convince folks of a need. Not sure what good if any it will do, but sure. At least its scene is doing something to support it.

Like I said, I wish every scene would try as hard. I really liked Injustice and wish it had stuck around alongside of MKX. Heh...or for that matter TVC alongside of MVC3 and SFIV.

shaowebb

The community couldn't even convince Disney to release a simple balance patch.

If one ever did release it would result in chaos in the FGC. A balance patch this many years removed from the game's launch? Suppose that'd be one way to accurately gauge interest. Doubt its possible though. The paperwork on some of those characters would be a fucking nightmare. Theres a lot of mutants in there...

Even if I were running Capcom I wouldn't waste my time entertaining the notion of MvC4. Unless Marvel/Disney petitions Capcom, I don't see in what universe it benefits scarcely anyone

If you want some more specific input, you can send me a list of stuff you're thinking about getting rid of.

That would be fucking incredible! I'll take any inventory in a few days when I have time.

shaowebb

Even if I were running Capcom I wouldn't waste my time entertaining the notion of MvC4. Unless Marvel/Disney petitions Capcom, I don't see in what universe it benefits scarcely anyone

So long as it keeps Disney aware that folks want more tournament worthy fighting games with Marvel characters in them I'd be happy. I dont care what title that results in. It could be Namco, NRS, ASW, Examu , Frenchbread or even Nintendo allah Smash Bros style for all I care so long as their was any Marvel fighting games being made for FGC style play.

I just dont want the only Marvel fighting game on Disney's radar to be that mobile one. I'd like them to be reminded there are other demographics of fighting game loving marvel fans that the mobile does not appeal to.

Nuu

Banned
.... The series is basically dead in the U.S.

I already stated this.

I was referring to places as in most of Latin America which has people playing '98, 2002, and XIII.

EDIT - Realize KOFs had some following in the US during the 90s and early 2000s, but not in quite some time.

Do you actually go to tournaments?

Yes.

Tripon

Posted without comments.

Could This Be What's Holding Things Up?
Hello everyone and welcome back to the struggles of opening a small business. Throughout this ordeal I have learned many things and dealt with many issues that seem almost endless. There was always a light at the end of the tunnel that motivated me and kept me positive during this entire situation. About 2 months ago I felt like this long grind was finally coming to an end as my architect was making progress and the City Building Commission was working with us to get things finalized. I was dealt issue after issue and just did my best to comply with all their requests to avoid any more delays. I was told I had to move the front entrance, change restroom layouts, and keep everything handicap accessible on top of that. After complying to all those requests I was even dealt what seemed to be a finishing blow...... After working on plans and fighting for every inch, I was told that the building was an "Earthquake Hazard." The worst of all this is that if I was told this back in September I would have honestly just given up. I literally spent over 6 months of going back and forth with the city making corrections and adjusting plans before they dropped this bomb on me. But, somehow this issue was rectified and we pushed forward. Now that we have everything almost done again......... dun dun dun dun.......

I come to find out that the city is having plans to build some type of Family Entertainment Center. You can check the details here : http://azusafamilyfun.com/ I have kept quiet for the most part and tried to refrain from speaking publicly about any issues I have already handled just to try and keep the calm. I didn't want to endanger my business any more and I definitely didn't want to offend anyone in the city that had the power to delay my opening any further. Then I receive a call from a friend that resides in Azusa and was made aware of this project that is being presented to the city. Under normal circumstances, I would just brush this off. But as it stands, the proposed location for this place is literally right across the street from where I'm currently leasing a building for Super Arcade. I went through hell to get a business permit, I attended 2 public hearings, and I fought tooth and nail to prove to the city that our community would bring positives to Azusa. I had to endure complaints that "Arcade Culture" is dangerous, and that people who attended the arcade were "hoodlums" and would bring down the neighborhood. I was told my patrons would "pee on the walls" of the city if they allowed an arcade there. I was told men would "gawk at women and make them uncomfortable" if they brought in an arcade to this city. And this is why I am so adamant about this new situation and project.

Could this be the real reason all my efforts have been delayed? Could this be the reason I have been thrown so many issues that try to deter my efforts of opening shop in Azusa? Don't want to be some kind of tin foil hat conspiracy theorist here, but if this goes through, and it might just be the case...... There is a Public Hearing for this project at 7:30pm on 5/16/16 in the Azusa Civic Auditorium located at 213 East Foothill Blvd. This will be streamed and you can view it here at : http://www.ci.azusa.ca.us//952/Watch-Meetings-Online

I will be in attendance and if you are local to the area, feel free to join me. Thank you for reading and talk to you all again real soon.

http://superdojo.blogspot.com/2016/05/could-this-be-whats-holding-things-up.html

Dahbomb

I wouldn't either.

I would instead have them working on Capcom All Stars and DMC5.

Both of which make a hell of a lot more sense than MVC4.

Only way MVC4 makes sense is if Disney money hats it AND starts to sponsor big FG events around it including putting in big pots. Now that is something that would benefit a lot of people especially the players and the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom