• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

If I want to mess around with KoF to familiarize myself with the series before 14 hits, which one should I play (98 or 2002)? What/where are the best resources to get started?

Tripon

98 UM FE, 2002 UM, and XIII are okay as an introduction to the series, XIII long combos due to HD meter notwithstanding. You can find all three on Steam for cheap.

I also love XI, which can be bought for $2 on Amazon, but that's the PS2 version, so it obviously doesn't have online.

Zissou

98 UM FE, 2002 UM, and XIII are okay as an introduction to the series, XIII long combos due to HD meter notwithstanding. You can find all three on Steam for cheap.

I also love XI, which can be bought for $2 on Amazon, but that's the PS2 version, so it obviously doesn't have online.

I own them all :p (steam versions)

What learning resources should I be looking at? (coming from someone who knows next to nothing about the series)

shaowebb

Wait...you mean KoF XI released anywhere outside of PS2 and with online? Please tell me I'm not misreading you because that was my favorite KOF. I'm always bringing up its roster in KOF discussions.

I own them all :p (steam versions)

What learning resources should I be looking at? (coming from someone who knows next to nothing about the series)

dreamcancel.com is the kof website. dandyj I believe put out some kof13 vids. Juicebox also has some great kof13 vids to look through. The last thing I know of is ultrachen did a primer on kof13 when it first released. Outside of that I don't know if there is anything for the older games

edit: yea dreamcancel has a tutorial page w/ dandy's vids and other vids to look through

shaowebb

BadWolf

If I want to mess around with KoF to familiarize myself with the series before 14 hits, which one should I play (98 or 2002)? What/where are the best resources to get started?

If you want to prepare for XIV then XIII is your best choice.

A lot of the returning characters in XIV are built on their XIII versions as the base and XIII's combo system is very open and lets you imitate and practice the kinds of combos you will be able to do in XIV.

The resources irfaanator posted are really helpful.

Not even close. SFV actually has good gameplay, the modes are the problem right now. The only good thing about BvS was Ben Affleck as Batman.

I've read and heard about how people should appreciate Zack Synder for wanting to do change the landscape of superhero movies. instead using of the typical Marvel formula. He ended up making a boring blockbuster.

It's similar to how people feel like Capcom should be revered/unquestioned for wanting to make an esports game. They wanted to change the fighting game landscape from arcade conventionality. Whenever that 7dollarhagane guy rants about how SFV is a game made for online, it sounds like a joke.

Both underperformed, relying on the power of their ip alone to offset everything else.

Both ended up getting outdone by a cutesy, animal counterpart.

Lemstar

OMG...Hong Kong only KOF XI on PS3 playstation network for $70HKD. (roughly $9)

Time to go to play asia and get a digital points card.

Just set up an HK profile using any old HK address and get this! I setup an HK and Japanese account long ago so I'm ready to rock! I had no idea this ever released with online. Anyone here got experience with its online? Does it have all the cast unlocked like the dream match rereleases did or do I need to go and unlock them all again?
Are you sure it has netplay? The store listing indicates that it's just the PS2 game with emulation wrapped around it.

It's similar to how people feel like Capcom should be revered/unquestioned for wanting to make an esports game. They wanted to change the fighting game landscape from arcade conventionality. Whenever that 7dollarhagane guy rants about how SFV is a game made for online, it sounds like a joke.
I don't know; I get the impression that even if SF5 were universally acclaimed as far as gameplay design and balance go, the tone of GAF discussions would be virtually identical. The people who can't resist taking shots at it for ~lack of content~ won't care about any of that stuff, anyway.

shaowebb

Are you sure it has netplay? The store listing indicates that it's just the PS2 game with emulation wrapped around it.

No clue, but its cheap and its on a system I ACTUALLY have sticks for so its worth it. Forgot to activate my PS3 on my foreign HK account apparently. Just did it, logged out then in and it gave me the DL link. Its downloading now. Can't wait to find out how this port holds up. I was a big fan of Shion and Oswald. Plus it had Gai Tendo!

pixelish

I don't suppose some esportsy person could lobby Team Liquid to add a general FGC section to Liquipedia? They sponsor Nuckledu for crissake

you're in luck, curlyw and anyone else who would like an fgc-focused liquipedia. liquipedia is planning to create a wiki for street fighter and are currently looking for people to contribute. check out the r/streetfighter thread linked below if any of you here is interested in contributing to the wiki.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/4l60g9/do_you_want_to_help_create_a_sf_liquipedia/

shaowebb

Got the HK store KOF 11 game and guess what...its all in english on every menu!
It has a network option but when I click it I do get a message thats not in english that I dont understand.

CCY58Xp.jpg

Any idea what this means?
Also no one is unlocked yet. I'll have to earn them again :)

EDIT: Oh god yes B.Jenet/Duck King/Oswald on a team I'm in heaven <3

It has a network option but when I click it I do get a message thats not in english that I dont understand.

Isn't it a PS2 classic? I don't think the network works on PS3

Lemstar

Yeah, it's telling you that you can't play online because your PS2 doesn't have an ethernet card built in and that you should plug in an adapter. Which you can't do because you're on an emulator.

https://twitter.com/daigothebeast/status/735994083387154432

Daigo entering Buttons Mashers. A Tokyo CPT ranking event next week.

Either Daigo is finally feeling desperate enough to finally enter a ranking event to get them points or maybe he's going because it's basically down the road so why not. Either way I hope this means more appearances at ranking events if he doesn't win a Premier.

BTW I had no idea this tournament existed until yesterday. Their were two unnamed Japanese ranking events. I guess this is the first one, the 2nd has yet to be named as well. I thought KVO was a ranking event, but apparently it's not since their is no mention of it.

Tripon

Either Daigo is finally feeling desperate enough to finally enter a ranking event to get them points or maybe he's going because it's basically down the road so why not. Either way I hope this means more appearances at ranking events if he doesn't win a Premier.

BTW I had no idea this tournament existed until yesterday. Their were two unnamed Japanese ranking events. I guess this is the first one, the 2nd has yet to be named as well. I thought KVO was a ranking event, but apparently it's not since their is no mention of it.

http://buttonmashers-game.com/tbm_entry/

Here the entry list, besides Tokido, Mago, and Momochi. Seems like almost every notable SF player from the Ultra era entered Button Mashers.

Probably realizes that capcom fucked up with the point distribution. Rankings are a must for almost everyone. Xian just realized this.
https://twitter.com/daigothebeast/status/735994083387154432

Daigo entering Buttons Mashers. A Tokyo CPT ranking event next week.
registered players:
Yukadon, gonzalez, keiji n, anton, vx, kim1234, kindevu, shin, tonpy, daikoku, eita, GO1, yuki-hikali (hikarin), nauman, tachikawa, mov, initial kyouso, inuchiyo, nemo, koichi, kazunoko, haitani, cojiro, okkun, crusher, ppn, haneyama, souji, natsu, vanao, gachikun, inco, ren, haku, storm kubo, choco, dora, itazan, kuroda, reiketsu, sasa, aiai, shiro, dashio, meimomo, kyabetsu, santarou, and -R-.

Tripon

Wonder if Momochi and Infiltration care about seeding now or do they coast and choose to go to only large premier tournaments?

Zissou

dreamcancel.com is the kof website. dandyj I believe put out some kof13 vids. Juicebox also has some great kof13 vids to look through. The last thing I know of is ultrachen did a primer on kof13 when it first released. Outside of that I don't know if there is anything for the older games

edit: yea dreamcancel has a tutorial page w/ dandy's vids and other vids to look through

If you want to prepare for XIV then XIII is your best choice.

A lot of the returning characters in XIV are built on their XIII versions as the base and XIII's combo system is very open and lets you imitate and practice the kinds of combos you will be able to do in XIV.

The resources irfaanator posted are really helpful.

Cool- I'll mess around in XIII then. Thanks for the links/info!

Amedo310

That option is completely obsolete. It is for ps2 online play when console kof xi first came out in japan.

You are playing a ps2 classic. That online shit does not work on ps3.

shaowebb

That option is completely obsolete. It is for ps2 online play when console kof xi first came out in japan.

You are playing a ps2 classic. That online shit does not work on ps3.

Fair enough then. No online. At least I got it on a system I can use my sticks on then. Now to go unlock the hidden folks.

Malice215

The point distribution is fine. Maybe the fact that Japan finally has a ranking event on the schedule combined with the new sponsorship and Haitani digging in his ass at Stunfest is why Daigo is entering Button Mashers. Hopefully he does well.

Seeding is very important. Most won't be thinking about it in May, but come September/October with the season winding down, it's going to be a hot topic once we have a better idea of the points distribution. The top players want to be away from each other, and you don't want to be the one facing Justin/Infiltration/Momochi in first round.

What people need to be focused on right now is getting points, which are that more important this year because of the fact that guaranteed spots are no longer passed down to 2nd/3rd/4th place.

Event hubs has the worst writers/copy editors/whatever you want to call them.

Water is wet.

Man, TPain is such an amazing streamer. He should play some fighting games in addition to Overwatch, LOL

God bless whoever gave him a PC and streaming equipment. He's just amazing to listen to.

Tripon

Ah okay, I'm surprised Capcom didn't tell Avyd to pop off again
Capcom can't dictate what independent tournaments do with their partnership deals.

As a T.O, if an org offered promotional money and was able to deliver it on a timely fashion, I would be okay with Avyd.

Of course as a player, even if I win one of their spots to whatever tourney they have set up at the end of the year, I wouldn't commit to it. Are they even offering free flights and hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom