• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Capcom bias is about coverage and discussion, not positive opinions. Everyone plays street fighter and marvel but complain about how it isn't as good as ____ game that only they play, that's how Capcom bias works and it's been that way since 1992.

Tripon

Rules
Main events (SFV 1v1, MKXL 1v1, GGXrd 1v1) are group stage into Full Double Elimination, all games are best of 3. Groups are of 5-6 players Round Robin, top-2 advances to FDE. In case of a tie we check the result of the match between tied players, after that win-loss battle ratio. If that does not break the tie, we play a tiebreaker match bo1. There is regional seeding for FDE stage (via Road to MFA events run all over Russia and neighbouring countries). Players who won a regional qualifier advance to FDE directly skipping group stage entirely.

All other 1v1 Main Game tournaments are Full Double Elimination, bo3. All featured top-8 will be held on 3rd day on main stage will have bo2 as well. Grand Finals are bo3.

MFA 2016 organizators reserve the right to amend the rules.

http://www.fighting.ru/mfa2016/?lang=en

Rules at Moscow Fighting Arena.

Round Robin, then top 8 is best of 3, including grand finals?

Throw this into the pot of SFV vs SFIV quotes.

Eduardo Perez
‏@PR_Balrog
@Filipinoman @AlexValleSF4 @Cast_Blanka while SF5 needs a lot of work it's still better than 4.
https://twitter.com/PR_Balrog/status/739223557561929730

I said there were popular discussion on Marvel which indicated it's popularity and hype, which is indeed semi-subjective. You're getting mad at both using and not using metrics.

You seem to be totally unaware of what you're actually trying to argue with me about. You seem to think myself and others are saying SF4 wasn't popular which no one has said. Let's be honest, you didn't actually answer my question on why you didn't have an issue with the other poster because he aligned with your opinion.

I think the fact that you're making a desperate effort to distinguish "hype" and "popularity" when you were previously trying to intertwine them is some sort of amazing contradiction. Saying it's my opinion doesn't really save someone from having faulty logic.

"You're getting mad at both using and not using metrics."

Nope. I got on you for your observations not being able to tell the whole story, or even attempting to, you cried immunity for claims of being it subjective argument, even though you weren't even speaking for yourself, and I said you aren't even attempting to be subjective.

It's probably why you are labeling yourself semi-subjective, whatever that means. You're the one who wants it both ways.

I think the fact that you're making a desperate effort to distinguish "hype" and "popularity" when you were previously trying to intertwine them is some sort of amazing contradiction. Saying it's my opinion doesn't really save someone from having faulty logic.

"You're getting mad at both using and not using metrics."

Nope. I got on you for your observations not being able to tell the whole story, or even attempting to, you cried immunity for claims of being it subjective argument, even though you weren't even speaking for yourself, and I said you aren't even attempting to be subjective.

It's probably why you are labeling yourself semi-subjective, whatever that means. You're the one who wants it both ways.

Haha please show me where I said SF4 was not popular. Why exactly would I compare marvel numbers to SF4 if I didn't consider that a popular title? My logic entirely makes sense, the fact you're the only one having an issue with it while ignoring the person I responded to in the first place simply because he holds your opinion about SF4 is hilarious to say the least. You still haven't exactly answered that question beyond attempting to ignore the hypocrisy.

Besides your sad attempts at trying to cite SF4 PPV pirating in pre-twitch standard in Japan era as a sign of how popular it was as a poor strawman against no one saying it wasn't popular, the fact you're continuing to get angry at me because you can't come up with a coherent argument against whatever you think you're arguing with me about is all the more telling.

But please, do continue.

Nuu

Banned
Serious question: Is there any game franchise out there that has potential of dethroning the Street Fighter series as the traditional 2D fighting game king for competitive play?

CkLzuh2VAAALieW.jpg

https://twitter.com/nobita_4/status/739421272531042305

I still want Street Fighter X Guilty Gear.

I love how the 2D Ibuki looks like she's made out of polygons more so than the 3D one. >_<

BWAHAHAHA! Just noticed that.

Skilletor

Serious question: Is there any game franchise out there that has potential of dethroning the Street Fighter series as the traditional 2D fighting game king for competitive play?

Nope. If that were the case, we wouldn't have people calling the early 2000s the 'dark ages' if people could just move on to other games.

A huge portion of the community isn't fighting games, but fighting games by Capcom.

Kalamari

In terms of popularity, nothing. In terms of competitive play, probably GG or KoF.

The franchise is so deeply entrenched as THE fighting game, with so many of 2D fighting game fundamentals and terminology coming from the franchise. Every 2D fighter seems to be fall into two camps; there are the ones that are alternate version of it like "Street Fighter but with 3 teams and hops"(KoF), "Street Fighter but SUPER VIOLENCE" (Mortal Kombat), "Street Fighter but HUUUUUUGE COMBOS!!!" (Killer Instinct). Or you got the 2D ones that go completely against the idea like Smash Bros who basically get their own community.

It helps the games are actually good. And Capcom promotes it as the competitive fighter to beat, which is more than SNK or Neatherealm or ARK-Sys has ever done, usually from a lack of money/competitive popularity.

Like remember they called the early 2000s "the Dark Ages" even though SNK put 2002 UM, GG XX was out there, plenty of 3D fighting games from Namco and Sega. The whole genre revolves around Capcom, except Smash which occupies another universe entirely which is basically unprecedented.

Pompadour

Depends on your perspective. Mortal Kombat X is a traditional 2D fighter that sold a hell of a lot more than Street Fighter V. It just doesn't get the viewership that Street Fighter V does.

Nuu said:
I still want Street Fighter X Guilty Gear.

There was an Arc System Works Vs. Capcom in development at one point, apparently. I'd really like to play both developer's interpretations of each other's works.

Zissou

No existing franchise will do it, IMO. There are a lot of high quality fighters around now, but most are made for people who are already invested in the genre (or even invested just into a specific franchise). Street Fighter is pretty good entry point into the genre for people with little to no fighting game experience. Of course, if somebody new to fighters grabs SFV and hops online, they'll get wrecked for a while, but it's 10x easier than trying to get into Xrd or whatever. Nobody else is even really trying to make fighting games that newbies can hope to learn in a semi-reasonable time-frame.

In terms of popularity, nothing. In terms of competitive play, probably GG or KoF.

I dunno- even in competitive play, there's a big gap to bridge:

ceonumbersnpkzs.png

Mortal kombat is such an odd case for me. It's sales eclipse whatever street fighter v does, but the adoption rate so to speak is so pitifully low. Are people really just in for the story mode and junk until the next Injustice comes out?

The Light

Mortal kombat is such an odd case for me. It's sales eclipse whatever street fighter v does, but the adoption rate so to speak is so pitifully low. Are people really just in for the story mode and junk until the next Injustice comes out?

Well they never really pushed the franchise in a competitive light. mk9 was the first in a long time since umk3 to make something competitive I think.

Tripon

Cammy took the Two CPT events this weekend. Does this mean the people who think Cammy is too honest and week shut up or the people who have been whinging about her declare that they have good evidence they should nerf her butt now.

The NRS community is a little more spread out geographically and the online scene has traditionally been more of an emphasis. NRS themselves have been doing a great job supporting the scene but unfortunately there has been huge drop offs for all their games after the first year.

MKX this time last year was pulling comparable numbers to SF4 in terms of viewership and attendance was really strong. A lot of the top players also stopped traveling much.

Nuu

Banned
Nope. If that were the case, we wouldn't have people calling the early 2000s the 'dark ages' if people could just move on to other games.

A huge portion of the community isn't fighting games, but fighting games by Capcom.

The 2000s is called the "dark ages" because every game but Guilty Gear was low budget and just not that good. There wasn't anything outside of Guilty Gear that could compete with even modern games like Killer Instinct 2013, SFV, Marvel 3, and the likes. Same with Third Strike, Marvel 2, and what not. Even SNK sucked as while 2002 was good, 2003 sucked, and the game's were very low budget. 2002-2008 gave us: Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, King of Fighters 2002 and.....I can't think of anything else that was of quality in terms of traditional 2D fighters. Not only that but two of those games could have been made on 20 year old hardware, and one of them wasn't even released outside of Japan officially until...like a few months ago.

EDIT - Maybe as Latin America's economy grows, King of Fighters will start to replace Street Fighter worldwide. Like the football (soccer) of the FGC. It is the top game everywhere but America.

Mortal Kombat still has quite a high mountain to climb. After for years being THE garbage fighting game meant for entertainment and not competitive play, it is difficult for people to take things seriously. Even a whole half decade after MK9's release.

Tripon

KOF 2002 was okay, 2003 was a better game though. 2002 didn't get really good until SNK rebalanced it and released it as 2002 UM.

KOF XI was released in 2005, Tekken 6 was in 2007, Soul Calibur 4 was in 2008, CvS2 was released in 2001, and personally, I find that more fun than 3S, roll cancel notwithstanding.

All were big budget titles in their own ways not made by Capcom (CvS2 being the only exception). I'm a big of a SF fan as anyone here, but you're fooling yourself if people didn't play and companies weren't trying to release other fighters during that era.

EDIT - Maybe as Latin America's economy grows, King of Fighters will start to replace Street Fighter worldwide. Like the football (soccer) of the FGC. It is the top game everywhere but America.
That's not true. It's the top game in China, and latin America. SF is bigger in Japan. Tekken is the biggest in Korea, and I'm not sure KOF is bigger than SFV in Korea now. Historically yes. However, SFV has been getting good tournament numbers compared to SF4. We'll see when KOF14 drops. I wouldn't be surprised for KOF being bigger at that point.

Nuu

Banned
KOF 2002 was okay, 2003 was a better game though. 2002 didn't get really good until SNK rebalanced it and released it as 2002 UM.

KOF XI was released in 2005, Tekken 6 was in 2007, Soul Calibur 4 was in 2008, CvS2 was released in 2001, and personally, I find that more fun than 3S, roll cancel notwithstanding.

All were big budget titles in their own ways not made by Capcom (CvS2 being the only exception). I'm a big of a SF fan as anyone here, but you're fooling yourself if people didn't play and companies weren't trying to release other fighters during that era.

KOFXI was NOT a big budget title in any realm of imagination. CvS2 was 2001, not 2002. It was the swan song of the "Golden Age" of 2D fighters. Soul Caliber and Tekken are not 2D fighters so they don't count.

Amedo310

KOFXI was NOT a big budget title in any realm of imagination. CvS2 was 2001, not 2002. It was the swan song of the "Golden Age" of 2D fighters. Soul Caliber and Tekken are not 2D fighters so they don't count.

Got any numbers to show? I'm curious.

I heard that the older kofs got popular in regions such as China and Latin America because of the pirating and bootlegs. How well did KOF13 do since it wasn't bootlegged (or at least much harder to do) in those regions? Since console ownership isn't strong in China due to their laws, it would seem like it would be quite the hurdle to get it moving a lot of copies in that region. Though if they released a pc version that ran on low end machines, I think it would help them a lot, since Xuandou Zhiwang did get support from Tencent, though that game already died so I'm unsure of the popularity of KOF wannabees in that market.

Tripon

wtf 2003 is kusoge KOF
2002 was also Kusoge. So was 2000, and 2001 was straight up bad.

On a different topic, Tokyo Button Mashers had free entry to children and Women to encourage people to come. Thought it was an interesting tack especially because I noticed the relatively high specating fees U.S. Majors have.

I feel threatened by Smash getting bigger attendance than SFV at FGC tournaments

Like others have said, it's just CEO right now. But honestly I feel threatened that this could spread to other tournaments in the future. I admire that community, they're so passionate about their game and have grown so much on their own. But if integration means that they outnumber us and take our top spots on finals day then I'd rather we just remain separate. They have plenty of their own events where they have the spotlight all to themselves.

BTW I only play Street Fighter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
haunts' latest update on SFV development is pretty sad to read. Just feels like the goalposts keep moving and at this point they're halfway out the stadium.

On a different topic, Tokyo Button Mashers had free entry to children and Women to encourage people to come. Thought it was an interesting tack especially because I noticed the relatively high specating fees U.S. Majors have.

Yeah, was a cool of them decision. Though their general advertising needs to step up, had no idea when this event was and I effin live here.

Tripon

The Chinese U league starts in 1.5 days. Why aren't the fgc sites talking about it? Lol
I tried to find info it. I don't know which douyu stream it will be on, or the time.

Edit: Here's an article by The Score report which sources Kakuge-checker.

http://www.thescoreesports.com/news/8119
http://kakuge-checker.com/memo/view/douyu-u-league-2/
-----

SEAM is taking place in Oct., Which traditionally houses Capcom Pro Tour Asia finals. I'm guessing instead they will host the CPTA Finals in Japan this year.

-----

How many KOF 97 streams can you watch?

http://www.douyu.com/directory/game/FTG

I tried to find info it. I don't know which douyu stream it will be on, or the time.

Edit: Here's an article by The Score report which sources Kakuge-checker.

http://www.thescoreesports.com/news/8119
http://kakuge-checker.com/memo/view/douyu-u-league-2/
-----

SEAM is taking place in Oct., Which traditionally houses Capcom Pro Tour Asia finals. I'm guessing instead they will host the CPTA Finals in Japan this year.

-----

How many KOF 97 streams can you watch?

http://www.douyu.com/directory/game/FTG
UmhIyub.jpg

Sayad

Common sense? The game looks slighty better than the Neo Geo games. It's the same reason why I wouldn't say Melty Blood wasn't a high budget game.
Don't know, looked like the biggest main KoF game at the time(or at least, since the last time they redrawn the cast) in terms of budget, just based on added contents for console release and higher res backgrounds.

Do you have more info on it? Seems hard to find.

These Asian tournies/events should put out press releases to western sites or something with all the vital info.

It doesn't make a difference really. When Crash was first announced, I sent eventhubs all the info possible, yet no article was written until Crash started. They do no promotion for these big tournaments so most people don't know these tournaments take place until the tournament starts.

First day is the qualifier to be the 8th player in this 8 man ft5 round robin.

Real tournament starts 12:30 am pacific, 3:30 am eastern wednesday. Following day is 3 am pacific, 6 am eastern.

http://www.douyu.com/utt

VariantX

MK to the general public has been about the spectacle of the fights, fatalities, that song from the movie, and side content rather than the mechanics. MK has always delivered on these aspects and the games sell like crazy even if they were shit games from a competitive standpoint. The last two games just happened to be good for a change and its going to take a while for that aspect to build up. I think another thing to consider is that SF games just don't get replaced like MK games, they get updated and last 4-5 years while the on the other side, they have to start from zero again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom