• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I honestly think if SFV was not the main CPT game people would have gone back to SFIV and SFV would of had the same fate as SFxTekken. The best SFV build was the beta one build. They should have kept it like that. The game was fast, super damaging, one mistake could cost you the round, jabs linking into bigger damage. Right now this game is just super one note. When Chris G said this game is not honest and rewards you for just going ham and pressing buttons I agree with him. SFV is a game of pressing buttons and just do things. While it's entertaining to play its not as fun to watch as SFIV. Also while SFV is still young I feel like this game not as good as SFIV. Which was more varied. But it also had 7 years to develop. So who knows maybe after patches SFV will get better. To me in a game where your best anti air is st.jab is trash mechanics.
I don't get how it will be less ham if the damage was much higher. If anything you would be rewarded higher for going ham. People die in this game if they take 3 back to back clean combos... you want people to be dying in two combos instead?

Sayad

To each his own. I love playing SFV and I also really enjoy watching SFV. But I find SF4 a lot more fun to watch IMO and I don't think that will ever change. The long combos, set play, character specific stuff, wonky hit boxes, and just sheer wackiness made for a infuriating experience but it was a amazing to watch at high level.
The last two or so years of SFIV were absolutely amazing for top level play, and this is from someone who only played SFIV for a while during SSFIV's days. SFV top level play is of course not there yet, but compare to SFIV's first year + first iteration of the game.... Yea, SFV is doing fine. And personally, I only find Ultra SF4 to be more enjoyable to watch than SFV, I'd say it's maybe on bar with 2012AE.

I don't get how it will be less ham if the damage was much higher. If anything you would be rewarded higher for going ham. People die in this game if they take 3 back to back clean combos... you want people to be dying in two combos instead?

It'd be more HAM with higher damage and with jabs leading to more damage it would make it even more jab centric. How does more damage make mit have it have more notes. I don't get his point here.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That happened.... 7 years after release? Sf5 is going on 4 months old? Lol

That's what I explained in my previous post. SFV gets a pass for now because it's still new. It's obvious that Capcom floundered a lot compared to SFIV in the same time frame. Some times success comes in the most simple ways. They are trying to be too complicated with SFV.

Minus the Umehara-gah moment, I don't remember any exciting Evil Ryu combo moment. Seems like once that character took off his combos became standard affair at tournaments just like every single combo on a character that ends up being despite technical requirements.

Sako? You didn't watch when Sako first showed the world how Evil Ryu should be played by making Xian his victim during one of the Topangas? The rest of the world doesn't have the mindset and discipline to really make use of Evil Ryu compared to the two though. PR Rog can be but he does it on online people.

I'm just using Evil Ryu combos as one example of why SFIV is more exciting to watch. Gen's hand combos that GAF's own Yeb started is another. The game lasted as long as it did not because it was wack. I do think SFV is the better game but SFIV just has those super high level combos which makes you go ohhhhh.

Sayad

This, one of the things people hate the most about the game right now and you see them SMHing whenever it happens is Ken making a comeback with like two combos, I don't know how someone see that and say "people will probably like the game more if everyone was like this"!!!

I want this game to be less one note. Right now its just press buttons go all out. No defensive thinking required. Even chris G is playing guile like a shoto. And he is only one finding success with that character. I want anti airs and other normals to be more reliable. Not just a jab fighter V. Make characters like Ken think about throwing out a HK for CC fishing. As of now you can just do it without much consequences. Right now look at the top characters all rushdown characters are rewarded. Even Dhalsim in this game play offensive. To me the game is just too one note. This game is a "wanna be" 3s. Really that's what it is. Just like 3s it is a very offensive heavy game but lacks the finesse and identity 3s had. Everything in this game just feels like bunch of ideas thrown in to one with no sense of direction. But Don't get me wrong the game is not bad. And i have defended this game but ultimately i still think SF2, ALpha, 4 are all better game than this.

Nightii

Banned
...you didn't explain how making the already punishing damage even higher would make it less one note, if you could die faster for making one mistake, and throwing out jabs could get you those big(ger) damage combos, how does that not reward going ham more?

I don't even get how the game allows you to "throw out stuff without consequence", am I watching a different game? Are people not getting punished for fishing for CCs and failing by getting Crush Countered and comboed themselves?

...you didn't explain how making the already punishing damage even higher would make it less one note, if you could die faster for making one mistake, and throwing out jabs could get you those big(ger) damage combos, how does that not reward going ham more?

I don't even get how the game allows you to "throw out stuff without consequence", am I watching a different game? Are people not getting punished for fishing for CCs and failing by getting Crush Countered and comboed themselves?

i just said i like beta one build the best. To me it was more fun playing. But at the time the game had what like 4 characters available? I don't know if it will be good that way now with all the characters available... who knows.....Most CC moves are almost safe on block. Bison is + on his CC for example...Also the 8f lag doesn't help either....

Shackzam

I don't know what fucking game Gunslinger is watching. I can not tell if he's trolling either because that's usually what I see him post. CC moves are not the safest move. Only a few characters have that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I remember it was either Mike Ross or Henry doing some insane Honda HHH combo. He kept extending it maximizing the amount of hits possible. Also some Japanese Chun player who did that Chun combo which even made Justin go wow. You know the context behind them with there being lots of one frame links involved and then seeing them during a tournament in high pressure moments then you really appreciate them. SFV combos are infinitely easier to do which personally for me makes me appreciate the players less when they do perform them.

Rajang

To each his own. I love playing SFV and I also really enjoy watching SFV. But I find SF4 a lot more fun to watch IMO and I don't think that will ever change. The long combos, set play, character specific stuff, wonky hit boxes, and just sheer wackiness made for a infuriating experience but it was a amazing to watch at high level.

A few days ago I decided to watch Daigo vs Momochi GF at stunfest and winners, losers, and grand finals of EVO. Still very fun to to go back and rewatch. I know SFV has a lot more room to grow, with more additional characters, balance changes, and maybe even additional mechanics. But I think they'll keep it more simple and straight forward so that's a big part of the reason why I don't think it'll ever surpass SF4.

Completely agree. I didn't like playing SF4, but watching high level play to me was way more entertaining than any sports match.

Nightii

Banned
Guess it boils down to preference in spectating fighting games.

Daigo catching Gamerbee with multiple Shoryukens in a row >>> Any 1 frame link combo

Sayad

I want this game to be less one note. Right now its just press buttons go all out. No defensive thinking required. Even chris G is playing guile like a shoto. And he is only one finding success with that character. I want anti airs and other normals to be more reliable. Not just a jab fighter V. Make characters like Ken think about throwing out a HK for CC fishing. As of now you can just do it without much consequences. Right now look at the top characters all rushdown characters are rewarded. Even Dhalsim in this game play offensive. To me the game is just too one note. This game is a "wanna be" 3s. Really that's what it is. Just like 3s it is a very offensive heavy game but lacks the finesse and identity 3s had. Everything in this game just feels like bunch of ideas thrown in to one with no sense of direction. But Don't get me wrong the game is not bad. And i have defended this game but ultimately i still think SF2, ALpha, 4 are all better game than this.
Let's be honest here Gunslinger, you have no idea what you want. You claim to hate how offensive and rushdown based the game is, how each character have a lot of safe offensive options, only to mention that the version of the game you liked the most is Beta 1, ie, the version with the strongest offence, where every one available had more safe tools to pressure than any other version of the game. Like, most of Beta 2 changes complaints were the loss of "viable" safe offense. You hate how poor ass Bison has a + on block crush counter now? Go ask Karts about all the safe pressure options Bison lost from Beta 1.

It's almost like you're just picking general SFV complaints from various places trying to present them as your opinion, except those are complaints from different people and a lot of which contradict each others!

I liked the longer combos and I think they did make the game more fun to watch. But that was just a small part of the reason why I like SF4 more as a viewer. In general I think the SF4 series just allowed for more "wow" moments because of the way it was designed. From Vanilla all the way to Ultra, players were constantly discovering new tech to surprise us. I was blown away the first time I saw stuff like Rog's armor cancel or Ken doing CH st. HK, fireball, FADC, Ultra on a crouching Rog which shouldn't work according to the frame data.

SFV is very straight forward, the game simply doesn't allow for that kind of stuff to be possible. I'm sure their is plenty more to discover. But I don't think those things will truly stand out and give us the same wow factor that new tech in SF4 did. I hope to be proven wrong though because I really do like this game.

EDIT: Still up late night watching the JPN ranking event and I see the Nash player Yukadon throw out a fireball to make Kazunoko neutral jump and he uses his V Trigger to juggle her in a air to air into Critical. Art. Stuff like that and Tokido's Ryu parrying a V Reversal with parry is the kind of stuff I hope to see more of in his game.

Sayad

When your biggest fan can't even be bothered to keep rocking your avatar, such is the life of a UMvC3 low tier.

tywjpclafpgoabumfmaj.jpg

kirblar

Consistent super safe pressure isn't that interesting. It's boring to watch.

Having the game be really aggressive is good- the issue is that the insane tension the game had early on is gone where it was really easy to lose a game you were winning w/ a big lead if you f'd up. When someone has a big life lead it's very difficult to come back due to the number of correct guesses you have to make (unless you're playing Birdie.) Stun got nerfed, damage output got nerfed - two combos into stun is no longer the norm in the game. The quick SF2-esque rounds were really appealing to me, and I suspect Capcom freaked out about the effect they might have w/ online play (simple solution: 2/3 sets dummies) and backed off of it.

On SFV, the main issue is input lag making the game feel like SF4 online. Playing it on PC with vsync off is pretty fun. Being able to whiff punish and play ranges a little better makes the game more about Street Fighter and less about MK button pressing.

kirblar

On SFV, the main issue is input lag making the game feel like SF4 online. Playing it on PC with vsync off is pretty fun. Being able to whiff punish and play ranges a little better makes the game more about Street Fighter and less about MK button pressing.
Light DPs being virtually safe online is ridiculous.

Infinite

They should probably fix this.

kirblar

SF4 was garbage. SFxT 2013 was way better.
SFV is a good game, even if it's far from being perfect atm.
I like SFxT 2013 but the game has issues with its core design issues leading to whiff punishes being the best thing possible to do in the game that you couldn't just balance patch.

They should probably fix this.

Nah, as it stands I always have 3f less lag than my opponent online, I am totally fine with abusing Capcom's idiocy as long as possible. Bear in mind I also advocate using cheats to grind through the survival mode to get your unlocks. I have few scruples about this game. It isn't Capcom's FGC, it is ours, and we should play the way we like.

It's my belief that SFV is about as good as SF4, without the hype behind it. It would have been far better if all of the wtf decisions had been looked at by a sane game developer.

If Capcom turn around and fix the latency I am also at an advantage thanks to switching off vsync, because I am used to the way the game would be played.

This is also another good reason for PC being the tournament standard in an ideal world BTW.

Kalamari

All of the discontent about SFV can really work to KoF14's advantage if SNK doesn't make any dumb mistakes (i.e. crappy netcode).

Nah, as it stands I always have 3f less lag than my opponent online, I am totally fine with abusing Capcom's idiocy as long as possible. Bear in mind I also advocate using cheats to grind through the survival mode to get your unlocks. I have few scruples about this game. It isn't Capcom's FGC, it is ours, and we should play the way we like.

It's my belief that SFV is about as good as SF4, without the hype behind it. It would have been far better if all of the wtf decisions had been looked at by a sane game developer.

If Capcom turn around and fix the latency I am also at an advantage thanks to switching off vsync, because I am used to the way the game would be played.

This is also another good reason for PC being the tournament standard in an ideal world BTW.

lol what SF4 hype? Marvel at it's peak was matching it's numbers and may have stayed that way if Capcom hadn't abandoned it. Marvel was certainly talked about more on here when it wasn't half dead.

SF4 is one of the least hype fighters in recent memory, sure it was a good game but it was boring as hell to watch outside of big tournaments with international competition.

All of the discontent about SFV can really work to KoF14's advantage if SNK doesn't make any dumb mistakes (i.e. crappy netcode).

Nah KOF14 is already dead imo, it can work for GGXrd Revelator tho' (And even Tekken if lord Harada helps us)

Xrd too
if you don't like SFV there's lots to play instead

You're absolutely right sir. I complained about this few days ago somewhere else, it's fine if you don't like SFV, but the Stockholm Syndrome is real for some people. If you don't like the game, play something else.

Skilletor

People bitched about sf4 for years.

People that play sf won't move on to another game, they'll keep playing sf and bitching about it, or they won't play anything at all and bitch about it.

lol what SF4 hype? Marvel at it's peak was matching it's numbers and may have stayed that way if Capcom hadn't abandoned it. Marvel was certainly talked about more on here when it wasn't half dead.

SF4 is one of the least hype fighters in recent memory, sure it was a good game but it was boring as hell to watch outside of big tournaments with international competition.

If that were even remotely true then there wouldn't have been much push for SF4 over SFxT heh

People obviously treasured the game in terms of spectator appeal. It's not for you to decide that.

If that were even remotely true then there wouldn't have been much push for SF4 over SFxT heh

People obviously treasured the game in terms of spectator appeal. It's not for you to decide that.

I'm not following what you're referring to in my post in regards to SFxT. That game was probably THE most boring to watch on the tournament circuit. Where did I say that was more hype than SF4?

Also, what exactly am I deciding for people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom