• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

Catching up from the past week or so.

LOL Injustice 2 gonna be like sfxt?

Meh. Not necessarily as I keep pointing out. We know it has gear and an RPG mode. We have no idea how gear interacts with the main game mode yet or not.We do know its not microtransaction based so far as they say nothing about such a thing. That one thread has a misleading title even insinuating it. Might be a gearless main mode, might have gear variants per character, might be any number of things. We do know that NRS tries to keep things tourney level though and are loyal to their FGC and what they like though. Its doubtful they're putting the main game on a random loot drop system with stat modifiers based on leveling. Sounds like a seperate RPG and other mode tool to me.

Still, we got nothing to based either a good or bad prediction on this feature yet. We need to wait to hear how its being used and in what modes or even what gear does. We got nothing but some interesting general statements and a cool CG trailer right now. Enough to be hopeful, but not enough to condemn IMO.

jbug617

Banned
the brackets for cpt taiwan this weekend is up on challonge (http://twfightermajor2016.challonge.com/)

notable players in each pool
pool a: tokido, sako
pool b: go1, jiyuna's best friend aka daigo, shiro
pool c: mago, ksk, mov
pool d: eita, tonpy, bonchan
pool e: kazunoko, reiketsu, chris wong, nishikin (who does he play in sfv?)
pool f: stormkubo, dogura, fuudo, rb
pool g: dark jiewa, hsien chang (sole american rep), itabashi zangief
pool h: haitani, poongko, human bomb

crazy to think that a number of these players will not be able to make it into top 16

Spooky tweeted that he is doing the english stream for the tournament.

.la1n

I like that NRS is willing to experiment with their fighting games moving forward. MK X with the variation system and now Injustice 2 with armor/fighting style upgrades and customization. With the latter I do question how that effects competitive play but it would be silly to think competitive play hasn't crossed their minds so I am sure it will be addressed one way or another.

That could mean it's balanced around all the crazy customization or there is a mode within the game that keeps the characters at default.

Either way it's at least changing things up and I'm always down for that. They've addressed netcode at this point so at least we know that will be good. Seems they've also taken the route of "if we can't port to PC properly then not at all" which is a bit disappointing. I feel like it's a mistake to ignore PC as a platform at this point.

shaowebb

I like that NRS is willing to experiment with their fighting games moving forward. MK X with the variation system and now Injustice 2 with armor/fighting style upgrades and customization. With the latter I do question how that effects competitive play but it would be silly to think competitive play hasn't crossed their minds so I am sure it will be addressed one way or another.

That could mean it's balanced around all the crazy customization or there is a mode within the game that keeps the characters at default.

Either way it's at least changing things up and I'm always down for that. They've addressed netcode at this point so at least we know that will be good. Seems they've also taken the route of "if we can't port to PC properly then not at all" which is a bit disappointing. I feel like it's a mistake to ignore PC as a platform at this point.
THIS.

Not doing enough things different can really hurt a title. Hell, in an interview with French Bread they pointed out that no one really gave a shit for Melty Blood till it started getting really adventurous with its mechanics and being very different.

Something new to play is only really effective if it feels like you are offering something new.

notworksafe

NRS was always experimental, even when they were Midway. The 3D MK games were a big change for them, Konquest Modes, Create a Fatality, Create a Fighter, all the crazy mini games, and probably more I'm forgetting.

MK9 was a reset for them and very traditional, but even then the story mode in that was a pretty big change for fighters.

shaowebb

I'm just hoping as a doofball character who makes it in like Killer Frost and Ares they add The Ray. Dude survived all the DC Crisis events, is flashy as fuck and is a major tool for use against Kryptonians given his mastery of energy lets him make red sunlight. Would love to play as him in a fighting game someday.

I hope Grodd isn't a good grappler though. I love good grapplers but I hate talking monkeys on principle. However, I could go all the way out the otherside and love him for how stupid he is if they go hard enough with his gear. Like say an organ grinder or banana...little windmill beanie for his head. I'd go full organ grinder monkey on folks then lol.

I really hope Atrocitus uses Dex-Starr in his moveset like some kind of Red Lantern Ferra Torr. I'd love to see doom kitty up in peoples grill. Plus imagine the Catwoman prematch quotes vs Dex-starr.

Mizerman

People were really surprised that MK had SP related content as if it never had them in the first place. They've been doing that for years now. It wasn't a new thing Midway/NRS just up and decided to do.

It'll also be on Capcom Fighters. Expect big stream njmbers this weekend.

The biggest audience for fighters are Americans and this tourney won't be on during US friendly hours. Should still be pretty good for a night shift stream but I don't expect anymore than 15-20k regularly and then 25-30k during top 8 in the really early morning hours.

People were really surprised that MK had SP related content as if it never had them in the first place. They've been doing that for years now. It wasn't a new thing Midway/NRS just up and decided to do.

Considering how bad the MK games got before MK9, I'm not surprised that people learned that the MK games had single-player content.

Boon should've just made this a 3-on-3 like the Marvel series so we can have Suicide Squad vs. the Justice League vs. the Rogues vs. Legion of Doom vs. the Bat Family etc.

and God we don't want gems

Who really was though? It's always been that way.

I want MK chess and kart racer back.

I am one of those people that doesn't like NRS competitive gameplay. I buy the games strictly for SP content to mess around in the MK (and DC now) worlds.

Mizerman

Who really was though? It's always been that way.

I want MK chess and kart racer back.

I am one of those people that doesn't like NRS competitive gameplay. I buy the games strictly for SP content to mess around in the MK (and DC now) worlds.

Oh I know MK has always been SP focused. And yeah, I had more fun playing the chess mingame than playing the arcade mode.

Still want Shaolin Monks 2, dammit!

Xrd Rev story mode shit all over mkx so hard. Damn it was freakimg great

Heh. I keep forgetting that the GG series was story focused as hell.

Line_HTX

Xrd Rev story mode shit all over mkx so hard. Damn it was freakimg great

OMG spoilerzz! :p

I'm sure it's better than SIGN with all the backgrounds redone and all that animation.

So I tuned into Max's stream last night for the first time in forever, and I finally saw Raven for the first time through all of his trials. Raven's taunt and "Give it to me HERE" is so hilarious.

How are Jack-O and Elphelt?

YoungOne

OMG spoilerzz! :p

I'm sure it's better than SIGN with all the backgrounds redone and all that animation.

So I tuned into Max's stream last night for the first time in forever, and I finally saw Raven for the first time through all of his trials. Raven's taunt and "Give it to me HERE" is so hilarious.

How are Jack-O and Elphelt?
Two solid characters Elph has damage, can rush down, zone, amazing normals good setplay she can pretty much do it all very well. Jack o has great normals, good damage, easy inputs and ridiculous pressure with her minions.

Infinite

Superboy Prime
Everyone from Young Justice
Just hoping fluid animations, colorful visuals not this Zack Snyder bullshit, and for the microtransactions to not destroy competitive balance and tournaments. Kaldur'ahm would be nice tho.

Oh and a halfway decent netcode although I don't play online much.

Beats

Video explaining new SG tech that Mike Z used at Combo Breaker. You can reset the damage scaling on the assist character during a "happy birthday" which can let you deal a lot more damage to them if you cancel into super. This also works in MvC2 according to him.

vulva

So Eventhubs still isn't talking about U-League but are happy to put up a popoff compilation.

You'd think the event that'll feature a ft5 between Infiltration and Daigo would get some notice

So Eventhubs still isn't talking about U-League but are happy to put up a popoff compilation.

You'd think the event that'll feature a ft5 between Infiltration and Daigo would get some notice

Yea. It's kinda sucks. I wish these guys (EH and SRK) were more on top of what is going on in Asia and their events.

Dahbomb

Send them a news tip then, they will be happy to post it.

the brackets for cpt taiwan this weekend is up on challonge (http://twfightermajor2016.challonge.com/)

notable players in each pool
pool a: tokido, sako
pool b: go1, jiyuna's best friend aka daigo, shiro
pool c: mago, ksk, mov
pool d: eita, tonpy, bonchan
pool e: kazunoko, reiketsu, chris wong, nishikin (who does he play in sfv?)
pool f: stormkubo, dogura, fuudo, rb
pool g: dark jiewa, hsien chang (sole american rep), itabashi zangief
pool h: haitani, poongko, human bomb

crazy to think that a number of these players will not be able to make it into top 16
There's some more good players in there that can cause upsets, but they're not as well known.

Send them a news tip then, they will be happy to post it.

They won't. I sent them news tips for crash when it was announced, but waited until the tournament started which doesn't make sense. I sent them tips for iispo, the jpn tv show and fg tournament that was on twitch, but they never bothered. I sent them tips on news for a documentary on daigo, justin, gamerbee, etc.. and it was ignored.

There is no point. Besides, Xian and Infiltration tweeted about the event too.

shaowebb

Right now, all gear speculations aside, my top 3 hopes for Injustice are:

• The Ray makes it in as an obscure inclusion miracle
  • Tag Mode
  • Dex Starr is a part of Atrocitus' moveset like a Ferra Torr style thing.

I'm a man with simple needs. All gear hopes aside this is my hope spots. Everything else is just sorta nice as a bonus. Red Hood is probably my next biggest wish but if I got any of these I'd be damned happy. If I got The Ray I dont even know what I'd compare that joy to. If you thought I was obsessed with Iron fist you haven't seen my real obsession character yet at all...

Dahbomb

They should just go all in with Batman characters because they are all 100 times better than non Batman characters anyway:

*Red Hood
*Poison Ivy
*Two Face
*Clayface
*Mr. Freeze
*The Riddler
*Commissioner Gordon
*Alfred
*Batwoman
*Batman Beyond Batman
*The Ventriloquist
*The Mad Hatter
*Ra's Al Ghul
*Damien Wayne Robin
*Talia Al Ghul
*The Manbat
*Black Mask
*Deadshot
etc.

Perro

i like red hood when he's not trying to be edgelord, also when he's being a crybaby that's about to get sonned by batman.
batman kinda sucks, that arkham knight ending was some bs, he went supercena and won. terrible
I really wanted injustice to be more colorful, 2v2 and more campy. A man can dream.

shaowebb

They should just go all in with Batman characters because they are all 100 times better than non Batman characters anyway:
No lies detected here.
Red Hood a good character? I see this thread has hit rock bottom...

Red Hood is great. Dude soared through popularity charts when he came onto the scene. Folks begged for him to be in everything and get his own comic series. He's been in multiple things and they even fore fronted him into the games as well.

Red Hood is by and large one of the biggest characters to come out of the Batverse because essentially he's a Batman trained version of The Punisher. Character is great. I think the first time he appeared he delivered the heads of all the crime families in a bag into a meeting of their lieutenants and consolidated the crime in Gotham so it could be handled more easily. Boss as fuck.

Dahbomb

i like red hood when he's not trying to be edgelord, also when he's being a crybaby that's about to get sonned by batman.
batman kinda sucks, that arkham knight ending was some bs, he went supercena and won. terrible
Welcome to Batman.

Also it's not about Red Hood being a "good" character... it's that Red Hood is way more recognizable and in the consciousness of the mainstream than characters like Zatanna or Atrocitus.

A C tier Batman rogue villain is more known than some of the DC characters with their own full comic lines and animated movies.

Kalamari

I dread the future of games in general but it's something we have to get use to. Microtransactions up the a.

I see the same trend with purposefully designed addictive attributes in games, it's like developers don't think people will play their game unless it's addictive in some fashion. I think many have forgotten that good gameplay is it's own reward.

Lemstar

I see the same trend with purposefully designed addictive attributes in games, it's like developers don't think people will play their game unless it's addictive in some fashion. I think many have forgotten that good gameplay is it's own reward.
I mean, it's true

look at all the threads about how Overwatch doesn't have enough ~content~ to be worth paying for

pretty much everyone agrees that one of the reasons Titanfall didn't have staying power was because there weren't any longterm grinds past getting to Prestige 10

if you read any CoD discussions online you'll run into people who stopped having fun with BO3 after they finished grinding for Dark Matter (100% challenge for all weapons)

unrelated: I played Revelator's story mode on PS3 and it looked like poop

talk about downgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom