• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

I see the same trend with purposefully designed addictive attributes in games, it's like developers don't think people will play their game unless it's addictive in some fashion. I think many have forgotten that good gameplay is it's own reward.
It's not just about playing the game vs. not playing the game at all. It's about increasing engagement, not just forcing it. Putting in those variable reward mechanics doesn't do much for someone who has no investment in the game to begin with. However, it can get people who have some interest in playing to keep playing far more than they would have otherwise. This has a couple of additional effects -- since they're playing your game more often, that's less time people spend playing competitors games. Then if they're spending less money on new games, that's then more disposable income to roll for gear/waifus/whatever.

I know from my experience from some mobile games, putting systems like that in games are the only way people actually get into the mechanics.

They would have learned their lessons from Injustice 1 though right

right
But they improved the netcode in MKX so hopefully you don't have to fight him underwater. They can't screw that up now... right? Right???

U league matches in 6 hours

Xiaohai vs humanbomb
Daigo vs Abao
RB vs Infil
Xiaohai vs Daigo

Humanbomb vs abao
Xian vs VR
Xiaohai vs Infiltration
Xian vs humanbomb

Daigo vs RB
Xian vs Abao
Humanbomb vs VR
Daigo vs Infiltration

Schedule
All star battle 12:30 am pacific 3:30 am eastern
5v5 Team Xiaohai vs Team Daigo
Round Robin 3:30 am pacific 6:30 am eastern

Standings:
Infiltration 4-0
Xiaohai 4-0
Daigo 3-0 +14

U league matches in 6 hours

Standings:
Infiltration 4-0
Xiaohai 4-0
Daigo 3-0 +14

Is this round robin Topanga style where the guy with the best record(with game differential being the tie breaker) wins the event. Or is it more like CPT Asia which has the two guys with the best record go on to face each other in a final set? I prefer CPT Asia style, to me it gives a tournament more closure and is just more satisfying.

Is this round robin Topanga style where the guy with the best record(with game differential being the tie breaker) wins the event. Or is it more like CPT Asia which has the two guys with the best record go on to face each other in a final set? I prefer CPT Asia style, to me it gives a tournament more closure and is just more satisfying.
I think its like Topanga. I enjoy that method tbh. At topanga world league, the winner wasn't decided until Daigo beat Xian in the last match. In the last Topanga League, the winner came down to who would win between daigo and momochi. So it isn't like topanga leagues don't have a final battle to decide the winner.

Impossible for Daigo to win now as he has 2 losses and it is impossible for Xiaohai to have 2 losses. Either Infil or Xiaohai will win.

Last time Daigo failed to win the whole thing wss in 2013's Topanga League 3.

I wonder why Daigo isn't performing as well as he used to. Guess he should have spent more time outside the lab.
He seems the same as in sf4. If this were sf4, these finishes would be completely believable. It is just a smaller sample. Last year he finished 5th in SEAM, 17th at CEO, 9th at Evo, and then like 30 something at TGS. Of course before that, he had just won 3 majors in a row.

I think with the competition in SF, it is extremely difficult to be really consistent, and thus it is better to measure performance over a year.

As for round robins, Daigo didn't win one until 2014, 5-6 years into SF4.

Didn't get to see it live, will have to catch it on YouTube later. But just knowing that makes me more bummed out that he dropped two matches to Xiaohai and Abao. Especially the match against Abao since it was a mirror match.
r60reb2.gif

infil fell asleep partway through the match. its a real issue with sfv.
lDPxQm2.gif

Abao did really good. Why isn't he traveling the world trying to collect points instead of Jiewa who seems to be in a new location every week. As for the VR guy, I kinda feel sorry for him. Not only did he go 0-7, he only won 4 of his 35 matches. Still a pretty cool to be a part of the event with the best of the best if he wants to a positive take from that experience.

Sbbao did really good. Why isn't he traveling the world trying to collect points instead of Jiewa who seems to be in a new location every week. As for the VR guy, I kinda feel sorry for him. Not only did he go 0-7, he only won 4 of his 35 matches. Still a pretty cool to be a part of the event with the best of the best if he wants to a positive take from that experience.
He was in sf crash. i think he got bodied.

pixelish

wow daigo got 3rd in a league filled with underachieving players and he beat infiltration who's clearly sandbagging. what an accomplishment!!!

DAIGOAT
DAIGOAT

LordJim

I knew that Cammy was strong, but I am surprised that she is not as popular as say Necalli.Technically Laura has more top 8 appearances, I think

Tripon

wow daigo got 3rd in a league filled with underachieving players and he beat infiltration who's clearly sandbagging. what an accomplishment!!!

DAIGOAT
DAIGOAT
DAISALT

Infiltration said he would be practicing his sub characters to get ready for Evo.

Anyway, sounds like U League needed a topanga league like rule for character locks.

Not a big deal, that was a team tournament where one loss gets you kicked off the machine. I'd like to see how well he'd fare in a singles tournament.
He is Dakou's student. I would not doubt him getting the chance to play overseas. If jiewa can get that sponsorship, then he can too.

Line_HTX

It's just some tournament in China. It's not like Infiltration is all washed up or anything. Besides, beating Daigo at EVO would be more satisfying.

#NotGOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom