• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

friendly reminder

CkXYvQhUgAQcaHd.jpg

Slaythe

Don't forget the ps4 version being region locked online for no reason.

(some americans delude themselves into thinking it was to prevent lag, but they put french people with AUSTRALIA, and XBOX one version is region free, so bullshit)

shaowebb

Sounds like they're doing something like Rising Thunder or Heroes and Heralds mode with this loot crate thing. Not certain how the hell this is meant to translate to tournaments though if you gotta grind and unlock your stuff for each character. How are you supposed to run a tournament if thats a time sink you got to go through per every setup at the event?

Gonna be fun as fuck for single player and casual online though. Playtime for a loooongtime. I'll need to know more on how they're taking care of tourney folks though because thats a single player casual feature only IMO. A goof off mode idea. You can't throw the main tourney folk under the bus for it and I know they are super tight with tourney folks so I need to hear more on the gameplay specifics soon to know whats up here because this seems sorta out there for their current mode of operation to go full casual with a mechanic that'd prevent fair playing field at tournament.

Dahbomb

Teaser should've been Batman soloing all the DC universe with prep time.

Have to see these customizations in action before commenting on them.

shaowebb

This idea came up and after thinking about it this seems like a solid possibility for how the gear may work in Injustice 2.

What if the characters have standard gear variations instead of MKX variations? In other words, you still get to do the lootcrate and all that other stuff, but the main game has several premade gear sets for each character to choose from. This would mean its still tourney worthy, you still have different playstyles per character, and if they needed to buff or patch someone the simplest thing would be to change their gear loadout standards.

It could work well and this gear loadout system would really promote exploring gear available only in other modes too.

This idea came up and after thinking about it this seems like a solid possibility for how the gear may work in Injustice 2.

What if the characters have standard gear variations instead of MKX variations? In other words, you still get to do the lootcrate and all that other stuff, but the main game has several premade gear sets for each character to choose from. This would mean its still tourney worthy, you still have different playstyles per character, and if they needed to buff or patch someone the simplest thing would be to change their gear loadout standards.

It could work well and this gear loadout system would really promote exploring gear available only in other modes too.
How isn't that Smash 4 customs?

shaowebb

How isn't that Smash 4 customs?

I never brought up whether it was or not. That was something seperate from my post.

I'm kind of wondering if gear is an idea that they got trying to come up with a way to keep folks playing longer after seeing the retention rate for Splatoon. If your gear could be worn with no perks in a "Main mode" it'd be nice and outside of that tourney mode if it worked like the Splatoon gear grinding addiction to keep folks playing for stat increases and new abilities it'd be really good at keeping the numbers up. It'd also be a really easy way to do continuing content in the form of gear updates.

If they make this work for tournies and online modes just for tourney folk to grind in then all this gear ability stat grind stuff could really be a way to keep interest alive over a long period. Hell I still play Splatoon for gear, weapons and map stuff. If a fighting game could achieve that without throwing tournament play away it'd be a nice thing.

"Heroes and Heralds" mode would attract casual players much like "For Fun" mode did and Tourney mode would attract "For Glory" style stuff is how I see it.

pizzacat

Banned
It doesn't sound good, whatever it might be. I'm skeptical, I like dc enough to buy it anyway.

At least with smash 4 customs they made characters play like old ones that didn't return (ness to lucas) but even then, thinking about the grind that smash 4 customs and how they can make or break a character (palutena) doesn't make it sound any better

pixelish

the brackets for cpt taiwan this weekend is up on challonge (http://twfightermajor2016.challonge.com/)

notable players in each pool
pool a: tokido, sako
pool b: go1, jiyuna's best friend aka daigo, shiro
pool c: mago, ksk, mov
pool d: eita, tonpy, bonchan
pool e: kazunoko, reiketsu, chris wong, nishikin (who does he play in sfv?)
pool f: stormkubo, dogura, fuudo, rb
pool g: dark jiewa, hsien chang (sole american rep), itabashi zangief
pool h: haitani, poongko, human bomb

crazy to think that a number of these players will not be able to make it into top 16

shaowebb

Weren't we speculating on a League of Legends fighter made by Seth Killian's bunch using custom moves and gear loadouts recently? If NRS makes this work for tourney crowds with gear loadout variations or gearless standards for tourney and online tourney modes then they may just be a solid prototype to test that model for Seth Killian if they are working on what we speculated. Lord knows if they get the gear and loot grind addiction from Splatoon happening in fighting games that it'd be big for casual player retention and sales numbers. So long as their is a tourney worthy base game the FGC would play it.

Hell you could do new seasons for the game by changing the loadout standards every year in an update. It'd be like Ultra SFIV modes with 2017 mode, 2018 mode, etc just being the different loadouts of gear that became standard in the updates for those years.

Folks have been trying to breath bigger numbers and retention of casuals into fighting games for a long time as well as come up with a way to make titles last longer amongst its fanbases at tournament so that entry level and scenes dont dissappear. This has potential to do that if they get the balance on how to handle this stuff right.No one has yet, so a lot of eyes will be on this title as a business model experiment for fighting games.

the brackets for cpt taiwan this weekend is up on challonge (http://twfightermajor2016.challonge.com/)

crazy to think that a number of these players will not be able to make it into top 16

Damn that is a stacked as hell tourney for a non-premier event.

totally stream monstering this

Injustice 2 has a loot system in it? ...This makes me hesitant to play the game. Injustice 2 also has Gorilla Grodd and Atrocitus in it as playable characters? ...This makes me want to play it.

If the loot system is purely aesthetic and only works for single player, then that's fine. Like, if NRS is going to make a Soul Calibur 2 "Weapon Master" mode where you get all sorts of gear during a big campaign, then that would be neat! If this loot system actually effects multiplayer, then I don't think the game will be taken seriously.

Malice215

CPT Taiwan is hella stacked. And will Spooky handling the stream, I'll definitely be tuned in. Definitely looking forward to seeing him stream more Asian events now that he's in the xsplit.

Hopefully NRS learned some lessons from SFxT and doesn't screw up whatever loot crate/microtransaction system they plan on implementing. Sounds like it will play a great role as they're playing up the every character being unique angle through loot crate powerups that change your approach/strategy and doesn't sound purely cosmetic.

No PC version sucks, but after seeing what happened to MKX on PC, they're better off focusing their attentions on the console versions.

Injustice 2 has a loot system in it? ...This makes me hesitant to play the game. Injustice 2 also has Gorilla Grodd and Atrocitus in it as playable characters? ...This makes me want to play it.

If the loot system is purely aesthetic and only works for single player, then that's fine. Like, if NRS is going to make a Soul Calibur 2 "Weapon Master" mode where you get all sorts of gear during a big campaign, then that would be neat! If this loot system actually effects multiplayer, then I don't think the game will be taken seriously.

From the NeoGAF OT

The Gear System uses RPG-like mechanics to reward you with loot drops every time you play the game. With each loot drop, you will earn character-specific gear to outfit and power up your roster – changing not only the look of each character, but your fight strategy and your personal approach to every match. As you gear up your characters, you’re building a roster of DC Super Heroes and Super-Villains that reflects your choices, and your preferences, which can be vastly different than your opponents. A few play sessions in, you can expect your Aquaman to look and play different than anyone else’s Aquaman you may come across.

Sayad

Yet another tournament where pongko wont make it out of pools. :(

From the NeoGAF OT

That doesn't really tell me much. It implies that the gear will be used in multiplayer, but it doesn't outright say it.

The biggest question is how the gear actually effects your play. Does gear just give static damage/defense buffs? Or are we seeing things like certain pieces of gear giving brand new moves or brand new mechanics? Will Superman need a piece of gear in order to do air dashes like he could in the first game? Will Solomon Grundy need a piece of gear in order to do chain grabs?

Expanded further, will local multiplayer have pre-made gear sets, ala MKX variations? Or will it not effect local multiplayer? I'd hate for the idea of tournament matches being decided by what console has what gear unlocked for [X character].

Right now I'd just like to see how the gameplay looks. I think by that point, some of these questions will get answers.

shaowebb

Check out what someone found in the blueprints that flew by in the Injustice intro.

5a778a208c3e4e6161c16806941ee0fe.png

Captain Cold's gun. Character tease? Gear tease? Shit if you could equip sub zero style freeze moves on anyone with that gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom