• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I get the direction NRS is going. If the consumer and userbase is mostly casuals anyways and you can take steps to retain them over a long period of time via loot, you might as well mitigate the NRS cycle as much as you can and keep people playing those games longer than a month or whatever the average is now.

NRS is taking risks, I like that. Can only hope the combat is good, but I've got no reason to hold my breath really.

Nightii

Banned
I had a very silly hope that NRS would try to go for something different from their usual edgy ass schtick, given the characters they have access to, you know, DC characters looking more like they are supposed to...

It was a very silly thing to hope for, I admit.

The loot stuff seems like a design decision meant to give the game more longevity, and it isn't really out of line with most of the big games in the industry. Also it's not like Injustice 1 wasn't full of bad ideas. Maybe moving forward MK will be their serious competitive franchise while Injustice is just their silly flashy comic book game with dumb mechanics (basically just be an American Capcom).

shaowebb

I can't wait to see some gameplay. They do radically different movesets on folks. Just look at the two Kryptonians Zod and Superman in Injustice 1. I can't wait to see what they do with Supergirl! Superman had box dashing, frame pressure and then dive punches alongside of shuma beam stuff and armor breaking. Zod played Zod ball and mixups with a demon for screen control and full screen setups. Maybe Supergirl will be a grappler?

And with the new RPG and sp mode for casuals players injustice 2 guaranteed another 10 million sales. Capcom should learn something from NRS on how to make money.

NEO0MJ

a lot of them, what are you talking about? but for a game with both street fighter and tekken, sfxt did so poorly its hard to believe.

I'm thinking recently. Did TTT2 cross it? I don't remember first month sales being that great. How about DOA 5 LR? Blazblue? Guilty Gear? Other than Capcom & NR and I don't think many cross it these days.

shaowebb

And with the new RPG and sp mode for casuals players injustice 2 guaranteed another 10 million sales. Capcom should learn something from NRS on how to make money.
This honestly. Its no secret NRS has known and shown how to make money in fighting games for a long while now and that is beefy single player content and variety. Hell Smash Bros showed that ages ago too.

Capcom doesn't have a lot of money to work with though. SFV wouldn't have even gotten this far without Sony backing it. Fact is it takes money to do this stuff. I know Capcom keeps failing and failing but at this point they dont really have the starter funds to do certain things. However, they straight up admitted they underestimate the importance of single player in fighting games so they are just as guilty as you say. When they tried to add customization it was with a gems system and it was really really player punishing. We still need to see how NRS is handling their own gear system, but so far no mention of microtransactions is a good sign. If they're talk on modes means a base mode of standard gear variations and then other modes for crazy go nuts anything goes gear then its a great stride in this model.

Capcom could do better if they paid more attention, but they probably couldn't take things too far given their budget even if they knew what would draw folks in.

notworksafe

I'm thinking recently. Did TTT2 cross it? I don't remember first month sales being that great. How about DOA 5 LR? Blazblue? Guilty Gear? Other than Capcom & NR and I don't think many cross it these days.

First month TTT2 was poor but according to wiki it had sold 1.35 mil as of Jan 2013. Not sure about the others but I know DOA5 has some insane buy rate on DLC so even if sales were poor, they are still making money.

According to wiki, DOA5 has 6 million downloads. So if even a small percent of those people are buying DLC that is great money.

Skilletor

Tekken
SoulCalibur
MK
Smash
SF
SFxT
MvC
DoA5 (1.5 as of the ultimate update, and that's not including the F2P stuff)

Less "traditional"
Naruto
FF: Dissidia

ShinMaruku

DOA5 has around 1 million people buying dlc packs after every dlc release pulse, also look at the game is nearing 1,000 costumes and the best selling costumes are not the bikinis as people always assume but it's the collabs or unique costumes which are higher priced. DOA5 makes a stupid amount of money and their next thing is now the DOA5 and DOAX3 have a tied costume pipeline where even more money will be made.

There are very few fighting games that will make money like DOA, matter of fact nobody else is equipped to follow their model.

Skilletor

DOA5 has around 1 million people buying dlc packs after every dlc release pulse, also look at the game is nearing 1,000 costumes and the best selling costumes are not the bikinis as people always assume but it's the collabs or unique costumes which are higher priced. DOA5 makes a stupid amount of money and their next thing is now the DOA5 and DOAX3 have a tied costume pipeline where even more money will be made.

There are very few fighting games that will make money like DOA, matter of fact nobody else is equipped to follow their model.

I would LOVE to know where you get your numbers.

Didn't the latest Soul Calibur bomb? And Smash isn't a fighting game.

Nope.

And whatever regarding the latter portion of your statement.

notworksafe

Didn't the latest Soul Calibur bomb? And Smash isn't a fighting game.

And those aren't God of War numbers at all!

The latest Soul Caibur was a free to play single player game lol. And those not being God of War numbers was the point of my first post. :p

Hey Skil, you going to Hyper Battle? I'm out of town for a couple weeks but I'll be watching the stream heh. New Mexico gonna come wreck yall lol.

Skilletor

The latest Soul Caibur was a free to play single player game lol. And those not being God of War numbers was the point of my first post. :p

Hey Skil, you going to Hyper Battle? I'm out of town for a couple weeks but I'll be watching the stream heh. New Mexico gonna come wreck yall lol.

I'm not. Still getting settled into my new place.

I was super sad when CO let you guys when your own tourney. That's the first time in years. :p lol

I'll be stream monstering for sure.

And SC5 sold 1.7 million:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/09/nam...s-for-soul-calibur-5-tekken-tag-tournament-2/

Given its dearth of content, lack of characters and the fact that it's a miracle the game got made at all, I'd guess it had a meager budget compared to the likes of TTT2 and SC4.

notworksafe

Let us win? LET? Maybe y'all should send people who aren't free af next time lol.

Or we should run Tekken so Saeng can come and actually show how good CO can be :p

Skilletor

Let us win? LET? Maybe y'all should send people who aren't free af next time lol.

Or we should run Tekken so Saeng can come and actually show how good CO can be :p

YUP!

Saeng and Smilez are monsters. Saeng did so well at EVO last year after barely even touching T7. He'll be a beast when he's got access.

I watched the SF matches, though, and it was good stuff. Zak is young and still getting over tourney nerves. Shogun is now thinking about picking up another character, but that probably won't be until after EVO.

notworksafe

Probably helps that we're getting CO people to move to NM too. First Chavelo, now maybe Ryyudo. We'll just take everyone good soon.

Zak did real well, he's damn good. When T7 comes out I'm gonna get Garrett and Quasimoto to just put me through boot camp so we can all come wreck yall

Skilletor

Probably helps that we're getting CO people to move to NM too. First Chavelo, now maybe Ryyudo. We'll just take everyone good soon.

Zak did real well, he's damn good. When T7 comes out I'm gonna get Garrett and Quasimoto to just put me through boot camp so we can all come wreck yall

Garrett was up here in May bodying me. :(

Played a really long set. I started learning the FANG stuff toward the end of it, but then he stopped playing. I'm sure it has everything to do with him being afraid of me and nothing to do with wanting to relax and chill after being at a tourney all day.

You can tell him I said he's scared.

Ryuudo is a beast in anime games. That'll make NM a threat to CO, but we'll claim him anyway.

Where are these numbers and sales data from?

notworksafe

Garrett was up here in May bodying me. :(

Played a really long set. I started learning the FANG stuff toward the end of it, but then he stopped playing. I'm sure it has everything to do with him being afraid of me and nothing to do with wanting to relax and chill after being at a tourney all day.

You can tell him I said he's scared.

Ryuudo is a beast in anime games. That'll make NM a threat to CO, but we'll claim him anyway.

G came back from CO with a big wet spot in his pants so I believe the fear :p

Skilletor

Really? I thought V didn't perform up to expectations.

And I was just joking about the Smash part! Though Smash is in a league of its own regarding sales.

Oh...yeah, hard to tell who is joking. :p

And yeah, SC5 sold really well. Just makes it that much worse that we don't have an SC6 and that they dropped support for the game just months after it released.

I can't wait to see some gameplay. They do radically different movesets on folks. Just look at the two Kryptonians Zod and Superman in Injustice 1. I can't wait to see what they do with Supergirl! Superman had box dashing, frame pressure and then dive punches alongside of shuma beam stuff and armor breaking. Zod played Zod ball and mixups with a demon for screen control and full screen setups. Maybe Supergirl will be a grappler?
Radically different movesets, in an NRS game? I think BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are the only series that can claim that on the individual character level.

This honestly. Its no secret NRS has known and shown how to make money in fighting games for a long while now and that is beefy single player content and variety. Hell Smash Bros showed that ages ago too.

Capcom doesn't have a lot of money to work with though. SFV wouldn't have even gotten this far without Sony backing it. Fact is it takes money to do this stuff. I know Capcom keeps failing and failing but at this point they dont really have the starter funds to do certain things. However, they straight up admitted they underestimate the importance of single player in fighting games so they are just as guilty as you say. When they tried to add customization it was with a gems system and it was really really player punishing. We still need to see how NRS is handling their own gear system, but so far no mention of microtransactions is a good sign. If they're talk on modes means a base mode of standard gear variations and then other modes for crazy go nuts anything goes gear then its a great stride in this model.

Capcom could do better if they paid more attention, but they probably couldn't take things too far given their budget even if they knew what would draw folks in.
From what Thomosaurus said, Capcom spent a lot on SFV. Like, more than any reasonable number you might expect for what we got.

Even if Capcom was low on money, it would be solely due to consistent incompetence.

Csr

Mistook the huge sale number as meeting expectations.

The SF and Tekken franchises have apparently shrunk to a point where those numbers are now considered good but they weren't at the time. If you check old threads discussing those expectations most people considered the 2 million expectation number for sfxt and sfv to be very modest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom