• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has any big internationals said that they're going to ESL so far yet. I expect all the major NA players would show up. Wong already confirmed he's showing up.

ESL just added SFV to their line up and is throwing a event called "The Brooklyn Beatdown". It's a open man tournament with a 1024 cap and a total of 75k pay out. That's huge for a single tourney, only Capcom Cup and EVO 2016 has it beat this year for a SF tourney. I hope this attracts the top guys from all over the world to come. I don't want to see just Justin and friends in the top 8 of a tournaments of this magnitude.

http://event.eslgaming.com/esloneny/brooklynbeatdown/

Holy shit that's a big pot

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Finally switched to windows 10 and figured I'd give KI a try. The Windows Store has the slowest download speeds I've ever seen from a storefront.

Off to a good start here MS.

Finally switched to windows 10 and figured I'd give KI a try. The Windows Store has the slowest download speeds I've ever seen from a storefront.

Off to a good start here MS.

I had a hard time getting KI to run, I basically had to reupdate my OS even though I had Win10 because the download button wouldn't work in the store. I got the game working but a big problem is that in the dojo tutorial, the demonstrations won't end. So I see Jago doing shit that I can't try over and over again, until I kill the game. I've been reading support pages and other people encountered this bug in the dojo for Win10. Game does seem interesting, though I'm not a huge fan of the combo system after giving it some time. I like how they are experimenting a lot of character properties and instinct modes though.

English second language

That reminds me, when I was in elementary school back in the early to mid 90's they threw me and all the other Asian kids into ESL even though we all spoke fluent English(with a perfect American accent as well). I guess because we look so foreign or something. In a different time we probably would have felt offended. But for us it was just a fun time to get away from class and learn really really really fucking basic shit in ESL.

Line_HTX

That reminds me, when I was in elementary school back in the early to mid 90's they threw me and all the other Asian kids into ESL even though we all spoke fluent English(with a perfect American accent as well). I guess because we look so foreign or something. In a different time we probably would have felt offended. But for us it was just a fun time to get away from class and learn really really really fucking basic shit in ESL.

Holy shit, this was me in 2nd grade, hahaha

I was always like, why the hell do I have to be away for this, this is so boring. But then after a while I thought, whatever, this passes the time better than the main class anyway.

Same shit happened to me. Didn't help that I didn't have an american name...

But I can't hate, it basically was another block to waste time on mundane shit. Funny thing was all the kids in ESL came out better at English than kids in the normal class because they were mostly asian kids raised in the US, so they already knew english. W didn't spend time on the redundant shit because the ESL teacher did more hands on things with a smaller class. I remember we played lots of board and card games, felt like random game time while shoehorning in alternative education methods.

miku

I was always like, why the hell do I have to be away for this, this is so boring. But then after a while I thought, whatever, this passes the time better than the main class anyway.

But I can't hate, it basically was another block to waste time on mundane shit. Funny thing was all the kids in ESL came out better at English than kids in the normal class because they were mostly asian kids raised in the US, so they already knew english. W didn't spend time on the redundant shit because the ESL teacher did more hands on things with a smaller class.

So much shit talk 💩💩💩💩💩

But I can't hate, it basically was another block to waste time on mundane shit. Funny thing was all the kids in ESL came out better at English than kids in the normal class because they were mostly asian kids raised in the US, so they already knew english. W didn't spend time on the redundant shit because the ESL teacher did more hands on things with a smaller class.

The ESL teacher at my school tells me that, by law, if you have any non-English-speaking people residing at your primary residence, you are technically "ESL" - which they now call "ELL", actually. We have a lot of kids at my school who are "ELL", but you'd never know it if they didn't tell you...

Malice215

There are no margins in it for the people backing it. The players can make a kiling yes, this ain't sustainable.

If you're worried about sustainability, then you should be worried about it from Capcom's end of being able to sustain pumping money into events given SFV's reception and Sony cutting the check.

Plus you have other games with hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for, CSGO with $1.5 million, and with them running MKX for several seasons without any complaints that I've seen, so I wouldn't worry about ESL from one SFV tournament.

A few years ago I would be worried, but eSports is here to stay.

Kalamari

eSports will destroy us all, if only we could send someone back in time to warn of the FGC's impending doom and correct this fatal timeline.

ShinMaruku

If you're worried about sustainability, then you should be worried about it from Capcom's end of being able to sustain pumping money into events given SFV's reception and Sony cutting the check.

Plus you have other games with hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for, CSGO with $1.5 million, and with them running MKX for several seasons without any complaints that I've seen, so I wouldn't worry about ESL from one SFV tournament.

A few years ago I would be worried, but eSports is here to stay.
The esports people and fighting games is something that will never. Work out for them how the experience extra it to. CSGO is the abberatio n with how it has emerged, fighting games can't use that model.

Tripon

We must go to the top.
Dq9u3zY.png

Tripon

deejay.jpg

Name: Dee Jay
Height: 184cm
Weight: 92kg
Blood type: AB
Birthday: October 31,
Home Country: Jamaica
Favorite things: sing dance shout
Dislikes: silence

Malice215

It's going to be silly to have Tekken 7 at E3 with no release date, so hopefully one gets announced before Tekken takes so long to come out that people forget about it. Now's the right time to put the game on the market when you have nothing to compete against besides the PS2 version of KOF XIV, and before Injustice 2 steals all the attention.

Smash players are looking out for themselves by wanting to skip pools for various reasons, but it's really a terrible idea and will become more of an issue for the FGC events that run Smash and don't cater to the whims of the top Smash players and have alot more tournaments to manage over a weekend. Smash events will continue to do their own thing which is why this is an issue in the first place.

What does the BST in Daigo's name mean?

Beast.

eSports will destroy us all, if only we could send someone back in time to warn of the FGC's impending doom and correct this fatal timeline.

I've never been a fan of fighting games as eSports because with that comes additional rules, censorship, etc, but it's already here,it's not going anywhere, and the bad elements of the community will get pushed out to support it.

The esports people and fighting games is something that will never. Work out for them how the experience extra it to. CSGO is the abberatio n with how it has emerged, fighting games can't use that model.

eSports is already here for fighting games. How long it last will depend on how long these companies have money to put out. My point is that I wouldn't be worried about ESL in this equation.

ESpirts is fine as long as they allow the players to have personality and diverse commentary. Yipes and dacidbro and KBrad and Persia were the reasons why I watched a lot o matches.

what's wrong with esl? i know they have a gaming network but i'm more familiar with their offline events which are esports as hell

What is it that you hate about it?

Their constant shadiness regarding CSGO. A year or two ago it was leaked they wanted to start an exclusive league, there was backlash and teams got cold feet about exclusivity and a pro league was announced. Then they announce WESA recently, which is their next attempt.

Aside from that, out of all the big production companies in CSGO, they had the worst run tournaments by far. Rarely ever ran on time and you can kiss UltraDavid/Yipes/TastySteve or whoever your favorites are goodbye because ESL rarely uses outside talent and instead opt for their shitty family friendly commentary.

They made rule changes to the Pro League when one of their WESA boys (Virtus Pro) were in danger of being relegated. They used the excuse of a growing scene which is false because by the end of Season 2 there were more new orgs entering the scene like Renegades and FaZe. Denial eSports wasn't part of WESA so their pro league spot was taken from them, there was no "growing scene" excuse for them.

People wanted nothing to do with MLG when they were trying to pick up Street Fighter because they were afraid of being too "esports" or whatever the reason was. Whatever people thought MLG might do to the FGC, ESL will do.

ShinMaruku

deejay.jpg

Name: Dee Jay
Height: 184cm
Weight: 92kg
Blood type: AB
Birthday: October 31,
Home Country: Jamaica
Favorite things: sing dance shout
Dislikes: silence
Fuck DJ and why he born on duppy day fa?

eSports is already here for fighting games. How long it last will depend on how long these companies have money to put out. My point is that I wouldn't be worried about ESL in this equation.

You should worry because the instant there is a loss leader these guys will pull out very quick. And they react poorly to any input from people outside their bubble. Also what they want can't work with fighting games, you will never have that buy in to sustain it by itself.

ESpirts is fine as long as they allow the players to have personality and diverse commentary. Yipes and dacidbro and KBrad and Persia were the reasons why I watched a lot o matches.

That's the thing most esports don't have the personality or diverse commentary, best you get is Thorin , and the bell end Montechristo. :p

Line_HTX

Had some time yesterday so finally listened to AFGC Podcast Episode 4: Tournament Organization w/ @TheHadou.

I've felt that St1ckbug and Brett are doing a good job with this already, but this episode especially is something that a lot of people should listen to. Rick comes through and shares his experience as a TO and it's all so fascinating.

I was going to listen to maybe 30 minutes, 40 minutes of this since normally I don't listen to podcasts uploaded to Youtube all the way, but Rick's description of everything how Combo Breaker went down was so compelling that I couldn't stop listening. This particular podcast on tournament organizing was an amazing eye opener.

And shoutouts to that venue that went way out of their way to accomodate Rick and did way more than you would normally expect from venue staffers. Like seriously, installed another server just so the Combo Breaker wifi can fully work well on Sunday Finals? They better go back to that venue next year or RIOT, hahaha

shaowebb

The year when Street Fighter died?

Only after they run out of money to throw into the tourney scene will we know if that is probable. And even then its Street Fighter. Honestly, I just wish Capcom would get merged or bought out. They need money and better management of resources. Thats consistently the only thing that cripples decent games from being incredible games with them these days.

The potential is still there for them to knock things out of the park but they need better folks at the wheel with more stable funds to get their projects back on the road they used to be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom