• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

When's that Injustice 2 reveal?

CkhVSfkUgAQiVsB.jpg

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206451977]$60 5-character pack with no balance changes[/QUOTE]
To be fair there aren't even articles about how it's a bad value proposition for casuals or how the genre is moving away from such expansions.

You know if SFV pulled this there would be a shit storm especially on GAF.

Wanna know a good fighting game update? Super Street Fighter 4.

• 10 new characters
  • new modes
  • improved online
  • extra ultras + ultra combo selection
  • UI overhaul
  • rebalancing the entire cast
  • $40
  • pathway for future updates via DLC

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206452817]Wanna know a good fighting game update? Super Street Fighter 4.

• 10 new characters
  • new modes
  • improved online
  • UI overhaul
  • $40
[/QUOTE]
UMVC3 has that beat.

*12 characters
*UI changes
*H&H mode
*Rebalances
*New stages
*Mechanics revamps/overhauls (can use X factor in air, TACs altered)
*New stages
*$40

Only 8 months after the original!

And guess what, people don't like these expansions anymore.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206452817]Wanna know a good fighting game update? Super Street Fighter 4.

• 10 new characters
  • new modes
  • improved online
  • UI overhaul
  • $40
[/QUOTE]

• Worse Announcer
  • Removal of Indestructible

2f3c03f9e546e4d9652560347210ba9d.png

To be fair there aren't even articles about how it's a bad value proposition for casuals or how the genre is moving away from such expansions.

casuals though are the ones that benefit the most from revelator.

• Extremely Detailed Tutorial
  • Character Based Tutorials
  • Challenges that range from learning special moves, to basic combos, all the way through advanced combos. 30 total per character
  • Overhauled training mode
  • Full story mode
  • Arcade mode
  • other single player modes
  • lots of avatar unlockables
  • stylish mode

Thats a pretty long list of new casual friendly items. Training mode overhaul carries over to hardcore along with the revamped online, system mechanics changes, and new characters

I think Revelator is weak compared to successive versions of blazblue, but there is still a ton there, especially for casuals

Pompadour

Fighting game expansions are in a weird area because the people who complain about them the most were never going to buy the additional content anyway regardless of what form it came in. It's the very idea that offends them.

Of course, I kind of wish ASW would follow Capcom's example and give me a base game I can buy digitally and update from there. Feel free to attach the story mode bullshit to actual updates if you want but keep updating the base game so the player base doesn't slowly diminish.

I already feel like a fool for buying Revelator digitally so I could get the early demo.

casuals though are the ones that benefit the most from revelator.

• Extremely Detailed Tutorial
  • Character Based Tutorials
  • Challenges that range from learning special moves, to basic combos, all the way through advanced combos. 30 total per character

I think Revelator does a great job in teaching people who already want to get better how to get better but there isn't much in the way to really grab a complete novice and subtly teach them how to be better without it feeling like homework. The minigame tutorial stuff is alright (and better than what most fighting games do by default) but the whole thing isn't that fun.

I'm not huge into single player content in fighting games but I think there would be some benefit to designing a story mode that is engaging, fun, and teaches the basics to players without it feeling like a tutorial (like how most games do it). Then we they get a decent handle of how things work they can move onto the extremely excellent tutorial that teaches you how to do things like meaties and tick throws and teaches you why you want to do those things.

Revelator's tutorials can bring a player up to the intermediate level probably better than any other fighting game and other games should follow it's example.

Line_HTX

UMVC3 has that beat.

*12 characters
*UI changes
*H&H mode
*Rebalances
*New stages
*New stages
*$40

They didn't do enough to make Morrigan better though. 950K HP? Psh, that's nothing.

:p

• Worse Announcer
  • Removal of Indestructible

2f3c03f9e546e4d9652560347210ba9d.png

Vanilla SF4 announcer and Indestructible were complete doo-doos and wack tracks. Ultra and now SFV at least have better songs.

Slaythe

UMVC3 has that beat.

*12 characters
*UI changes
*H&H mode
*Rebalances
*New stages
*New stages
*$40

I bought vanilla MVC3 day one and boycotted UMVC3, fuck that.

Kumubou

eSports is already here for fighting games. How long it last will depend on how long these companies have money to put out. My point is that I wouldn't be worried about ESL in this equation.
I think the concern here is that there is no value proposition for anyone involved with SF5. At least with something like CS:GO you have Valve making boatloads of money and companies like MLG and ESL are able to sell out stadiums for tournaments. It may not even be sustainable for the event companies there (yet), but it's clear there's interest. With SF5? Capcom is hemorrhaging money over the game and there is zero evidence that people will go to FG events to spectate them yet (even with Evo, there are still more people there to play fighting games than to watch) and the stream numbers are mediocre at best (compared to what the big e-sports games draw for events) and the day to day numbers are basically nonexistent. So it's fair to wonder how sustainable it is with SF5 when Capcom is basically Capcpoming up the whole release.

I think a lot of the videogame press haven't played or even seen the original version of GGXrd, so I suspect that at least some of the reviews are evaluating Xrd:R as a standalone release and not as an update to the original game (and it looks much better in that light).

Pompadour

Vanilla SF4 announcer and Indestructible were complete doo-doos and wack tracks. Ultra and now SFV at least have better songs.

The people who like Indestructible are almost as crazy as the people who like "Gonna Take You For a Ride." The fact that they used a five second song on loop as the character select screen music for a game where the players, on average, spend 30 seconds to a minute making their choices is insane game design. It's like they were trying to pull a Operation Nifty Package and intentionally drive people insane.

I think a lot of the videogame press haven't played or even seen the original version of GGXrd, so I suspect that at least some of the reviews are evaluating Xrd:R as a standalone release and not as an update to the original game (and it looks much better in that light).

I think a lot of the people shitting on Capcom's business model on SFV aren't even aware GGXrd's method is essentially the standard for the fighting game genre, let alone aware that Revelator exists. It's even worse if you're a Japanese arcade player because for most of these games you're already playing the second version of a game that's been out for a year. By the time Tekken 7 hits consoles people will be paying $60 for the 4th iteration of that game.

Rhapsody

Banned
Curious, but how much time was MKX in development? I assume much better budget than SFV, but the game seems to have a lot of stuff like characters.

As for Revelator, I'm expecting a 1.1 patch or whatever after Dizzy hits (maybe not right when she's released though). I think it's good there's no rebalance yet. Lets players outside of Japan not feel as far behind until Evo is over if they do a patch.

Nah, they are all just busy generating more Overwatch content to drive the traffic.

Man with the amount of copies MK sells their stream view presence is downright bad. 17k viewers for their cpt main event equivalent is just bad....

What is it about SF that keeps bringing in the viewers? Even though casuals despises everything capcom and SF.

Man with the amount of copies MK sells their stream view presence is downright bad. 17k viewers for their cpt main event equivalent is just bad....

What is it about SF that keeps bringing in the viewers? Even though casuals despises everything capcom and SF.

People complain because they like Street Fighter. If they didn't like the game they just wouldn't talk about it.

Line_HTX

I think it's the familiarity and presence for over two decades. Not as many people know of MK as they do SF, so in a general sense, just the reputation continues to give SF the viewers.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
UMVC3 has that beat.

*12 characters
*UI changes
*H&H mode
*Rebalances
*New stages
*New stages
*$40

If this all got sold piecemeal, which it probably would be if shuma and Jill were any indication, would be way the fuck more than$40.

I think it's the familiarity and presence for over two decades. Not as many people know of MK as they do SF, so in a general sense, just the reputation continues to give SF the viewers.
I don't agree with familiarity part. MK was just as big as SF in the 90s I know because I was there. As a matter of fact at one point capcom even made a SF game similar to MK(SF movie game). Not to mention countless of MK clones and 2 movies.

Beats

Curious, but how much time was MKX in development? I assume much better budget than SFV, but the game seems to have a lot of stuff like characters.

If I had to guess I'd say 2-3 years? 2 year gap between MK9 release and Injustice and same for Injustice and MKX. All of them were released in April too iirc. I can't find the link but they were hiring more people in 2012 for a new MK game and then they confirmed that there was a new game in development in 2013.

Tripon

ESL hasn't done the work that the Capcom Pro Tour, Killer Instinct, or the Tekken team has done promoting their tournaments. There's no dedicated channel, or weekly show, and the qualifiers aren't promoted on a updated basis. I went to ESL's website to try to find info on who won each qualifier or when the finals schedule was, but the website didn't have the information. I'm sure a fansite like Testyourmight.com has it but that point, I stopped caring and moved to the next tournament I had to highlight. Compare that to the CPT website, and they have a preview page and a results page within hours. Yes, the MKX qualifiers were at many of the same events as Capcom's Pro Tour Ranking events were, but you wouldn't know just by causally watching.

The finals are also held in a smaller studio at ESL headquarters instead of a larger event. Compare that to the CPT where this year, each ranking event feeds into a larger regional Premier event that should help build interest. There's a lot of things wrong with how SFV is at the moment, but IMO, the Capcom Pro Tour is doing really good things and should be emulated. So far, Killer Instinct, and Tekken has followed the model with their own tweaks, and MKX/ESL hasn't. I'm sure NRS/Warner Brothers has their reasons for not establishing their own version of CPT, but lower viewership and lower interest compared to other competitive fighting games is the consequence of letting ESL take so much control over the tournament scene.

TL:DR It is what it is.

Tripon

Alex Jebailey ‏@CEOJebailey 1m1 minute ago
30 hours left to reg for #CEO2016! Current #'s are:

Smash4 835
SFV 746
Melee 609
PT 256
T7 256
MKXL 160
XRD 148
UMvC3 144
USF4 110
KI 104

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/741728947583471616

I didn't know the ESL finals was today until I read the Tournament Weekend Thread. That's bad promotion right there.

I didn't know about it until right before I posted this weekend's thread and I've been making these threads!

shaowebb

Ouch. Storm just had his hitbox DIE at the ESL MKX fight after going a round each on final point. Thing is he was showing he had his rhythm coming back and was putting up more solid rounds. He just got trapped in the corner vs full auto Jacqui which is 2 combo death a round before. Dude could've ran a round back and started rallying. Could've still lost but it sucks he had to forfeit due to a technical problem with his hitbox.

One of the announcers said he had a hitbox he could run and get but I guess Storm called it quits. Sucks to see that. His Takeda is good.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
Ouch. Storm just had his hitbox DIE at the ESL MKX fight after going a round each on final point. Thing is he was showing he had his rhythm coming back and was putting up more solid rounds. He just got trapped in the corner vs full auto Jacqui which is 2 combo death a round before. Dude could've ran a round back and started rallying. Could've still lost but it sucks he had to forfeit due to a technical problem with his hitbox.

One of the announcers said he had a hitbox he could run and get but I guess Storm called it quits. Sucks to see that. His Takeda is good.
To call it quits because of a controller malfunction is probably one of the worst things that could happen. Poor Storm.

shaowebb

To call it quits because of a controller malfunction is probably one of the worst things that could happen. Poor Storm.

I know. He uses a hitbox which is why I can see him forfeiting. Odds of a replacement being there are low. It'll hurt if he comes out later and says he didn't know the announcer said they had a spare in their backpack he could use to continue.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";206451977]$60 5-character pack with no balance changes[/QUOTE]

Better than paying $60 for a game with JUST 16 characters, has shit online, no modes, looks like crap, and has bad gameplay,. Doesn't change the fact it's a way better value than SFV & does everything better. Are you honestly trying to hold the fact that Xrd was a great game full of content against Revalator because it didn't have so many things that need fixing with an update?

I gotta win 4 more tournies/be high up in points to win the trip to Santa Monica lol :(. Thanks y'all. And thanks to Vulva for the Chun experience lol

Better than paying $60 for a game with JUST 16 characters, has shit online, no modes, looks like crap, and has bad gameplay,. Doesn't change the fact it's a way better value than SFV & does everything better. Are you honestly trying to hold the fact that Xrd was a great game full of content against Revalator because it didn't have so many things that need fixing with an update?

I'm holding the fact that it's a $60 release instead of 5 DLC characters against it.

Mizerman

Because believe it or not, SF was always defined with the competitive nature of it. Even before NRS/Midway started to take the tournament scene more seriously.

I gotta win 4 more tournies/be high up in points to win the trip to Santa Monica lol :(. Thanks y'all. And thanks to Vulva for the Chun experience lol

Good luck, bruh. Seriously.

Slaythe

having a blast with XrdR

It's awesome.

What I love about Xrd, is that no player play the same character the exact same way.

It has so much freedom to what you can do with the tools of the characters.

Keeps every fight, at every level, so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom