• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that since folks are getting the game early, some tags for SFV will get taken, RIP.

Not like anyone would want mine anyway. >=) I might use a different tag for FGC stuff going forward though.

Yeah even if I'm using this tag for general stuff, I already know my Evo tag/SFV tag :3

[*]true ladder system for online play - check (I think)

[*]replays - check

1) I saw an article mentioning SFV will have an online League system similar to League of Legends. I like the league system but can't find any confirmation on this?

2) How does the replay system work? does it save all of your matches in a compressed file or something on your hard drive? Will it auto-purge after X elapsed time?

Beckx

We don't know anything about the ladder system other than trophy references to things like Gold League (or similar)

Game automatically saves replays of your last 30 games, you go into the replays menu to watch them.

1) I saw an article mentioning SFV will have an online League system similar to League of Legends. I like the league system but can't find any confirmation on this?

2) How does the replay system work? does it save all of your matches in a compressed file or something on your hard drive? Will it auto-purge after X elapsed time?

1) It's true.
2) I think the game itself is storing every played match, and organizes them by players involved. It probably does purge because that's a lot of potential information. I remember saving a replay and having an error trying to load it up after a day had passed.

Dahbomb

Blizzard always nails presentation and polish plus they have cracked the code when it comes to addiction.

They ae still learning with the whole E sports thing though. They just made big changes to the tournament circuit for Hearthstone for example.

Clawww

hard for me to say, I'm not really big on shooters. it's definitely more like tf2 than UT I guess, not sure if that's helpful. here's hoping you get in too

notworksafe

I mean if Unreal Tournament is my GOAT FPS and I like Bungie gunplay, how am I going to feel about this? I already looooove the look of it.

It's a faster game than Halo/Destiny but not as frenetic as UT. Somewhere in between with a heavy "stick with the team" focus.

Infinite

I was joking, man. :(

I loved and (still love) and play Splatoon to this day (getting closer to that S ranking!), I can deal with SFV the way it is now just fine too.
I knew you was joking lol I just wanted to say although I didn't need to quote you to do so I guess.

Bizazedo

idk, if it had the content at launch I would definitely be more interested since it wouldnt be competing with revelator. Once it has the content I definitely will consider it more, but its timing gets worse. Maybe once it has content and I'm between games I'll be more willing

My problem with splatoon was more how it gates content with those awful 4 hour windows

What content are you looking for out of curiosity? Survival mode alone should substitute for old-school arcade mode.

What content are you looking for out of curiosity? Survival mode alone should substitute for old-school arcade mode.
to try and get into a game im not normally into, basically anything thats fun to screw around with as an alternative way to screw around. Story mode is the biggest, but if you look at ASW games you also get modifier based modes like golden arena, M.O.M., the best combo challenges in the business, and even things like art galleries that you unlock the items in as a fun way to just play through game modes. All of these things can help make a game fun if I can't get into it competitively, and would help a purchase.

Smash brothers is the best example. I cant stand competitive smash, but I still love the game. I can play it solo by just messing around with all the fun shit to do, then bust it out for parties for free for all with items. A fighting game offering those things means I can still get my moneys worth no matter what.

Line_HTX

Blizzard always nails presentation and polish plus they have cracked the code when it comes to addiction.

They are still learning with the whole E sports thing though. They just made big changes to the tournament circuit for Hearthstone for example.

Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

E: Wait, oh, you mean events and stuff. I thought you meant bigtime balance changes, lol

It's almost like Blizzard understands esports and engaging online content while certain fighting game makers do not.

I like that it is constantly looking for matches and I am at a .500 win/loss so i suppose the balance is there. You can bind the keys 3 ways. I had my 360 controller hooked up and played it a round before going back to mouse and keyboard seamlessly.
I like the fact you gain bonus XP for beating your personal best or your average stats on damage, kills, assists and damage output.

There are level/character stats you can get rewarded like objective points, healing, damage absorbed, specials used. Its pretty robust.

I think SF5 can scrape all that data and surface it and use it as a reward for fight money (EX bar used) v-trigger not wasted, defense, blocked crossups and overheads.

All I am saying, Overwatch, the first beta was broken, laggy and didn't hook me. What did was finding the areas where each character shines or what role they play with other players.
How's the gunplay in Overwatch?
This is where I don't feel awesome about. Its like you have to lead a target as if you are sniping someone a few hundred meters away vs under a hundred meters. And bullet speed is different for each character as well as bullet drop. I feel like the element(?)/bullet type hurt differently depending on characters? There are some near instant hit like the sniper rifle and the gorillaz electricity.
I am not a fan of the pop up and feel like some moves need more hitstun or effect walk speed when hit. Its granular stuff.
Trying to think of it as a marvel game makes me enjoy it and my co-workers who crack on DOTA like it (minus) not having more "lanes" or points of egress.

I think SF5 is a grower not a shower right now. Just remember how broken BF4 was then became one of my favorite console shooters of all time.

notworksafe

MiniBossBattle, sounds like you need to fux with my boy Roadhog. You just throw a hook and grab people Scorpion style then do a Shotgun->Melee->Shotgun combo and dead them on the spot.

jbug617

Banned
Registration pricing is out for EVO. Wonder if it still $10 per game.
@EvilMrWizard: Evo 2016 registration (Fri-Sat) will be $30 for the first week, then $40 for early bird, and then $60 for regular price. #Evo2016

Arena pricing
@EvilMrWizard: Evo 2016 Arena tickets will run $40 + tax for general admission (sit anywhere) and $85 + tax for a reserved seat on the floor. #Evo2016

MiniBossBattle, sounds like you need to fux with my boy Roadhog. You just throw a hook and grab people Scorpion style then do a Shotgun->Melee->Shotgun combo and dead them on the spot.

I played everyone now and really like almost everyone except Hanzo (hawkeye) and Mercy (TF2 Medic). I go too ham with Roadhog but he is great. I didn't know there was a dedicated melee button until last night.

Is there a Karin combo tutorial? I saw her rekka's into a whole bunch of variations.

Shouta

Maybe I'll work with Rentahamster and set up a viewing party at the Mandalay Bay with a nice stream for it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom