• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Everyone suggests you play people at your level when learning a fighting game but I feel like the only person who enjoys playing people who are BETTER than me. Like, considerably better. Anyone else?

Used to only add people on friend's list who beat me hard
The harder the better

Everyone suggests you play people at your level when learning a fighting game but I feel like the only person who enjoys playing people who are BETTER than me. Like, considerably better. Anyone else?

It's depressing to constantly lose even if you're only playing people better than you. I like a mix of higher/mid level to know what I am doing wrong and being able to adjust my game against people on my level to see progress.

Nothing's worse than fighting people really below you though. Even though I don't mind helping out people that don't know what they're doing, depending on how they play, I don't think it's doing much for them to get completely bodied by online strangers.

Playing against better opponents is important but u also gotta analyze where u went wrong and how to improve.

If you're OK with long-winded rants pattheflip talks about this kinda stuff a lot on his twitch and youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk2SPDYw-KM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MVOnppOag

Also read his e-book
http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/lea...ng-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/

Depends on the game I'm playing, the character I'm using and my mood that day. If I'm using VSav Lei Lei I can deal because she is pretty good and I like VSav. Third Strike is fun, but I don't want to be a masochist with Alex since he's not nearly as good in his own game.

Line_HTX

Roughly same level or better than me. I don't get too worked up on losing a lot because I'm expecting it, however my goal is understanding certain points and decisions which led to my defeat and what I should look for at certain moments of the game.

While it's fun to sort of show off against those that are lower than me, nowadays I'm only playing to learn to see situations, the game flow, and improvement and I find it way less stressful than to have the mindset of I gotta beat somebody just to feel good. Learning and constantly improving is a long process, but a really fun one in my eyes.

*Obligatory BUFF (some character or RIOT and other trash talk

;P

Playing against better opponents is important but u also gotta analyze where u went wrong and how to improve.

If you're OK with long-winded rants pattheflip talks about this kinda stuff a lot on his twitch and youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk2SPDYw-KM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MVOnppOag

Also read his e-book
http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/lea...ng-games-with-our-free-beginners-guide-ebook/

I've read his book and watched his videos. He posts in my thread lol.

Also, playing better opponents still allows you to analyze. If anything, playing better opponents allow you the best opportunity to see your flaws than anything.

Also, playing better opponents still allows you to analyze. If anything, playing better opponents allow you the best opportunity to see your flaws than anything.

Depends on how many flaws you have. Someone good blowing you up 100 different ways isn't the easiest thing to swallow when the time comes to fix it.

mbpm1

So long as you're not guard crushed by how much better they are at some aspect of the game and can't understand what they're doing.

BadWolf

In a later piece of art of Sean in Laura's story mode, Sean looks darker. Not as dark as he used to be but darker. I'm not using Bengus' art as a measurement of how Sean will look when he eventually joins the cast. In one part, Birdie looks pale as hell, and almost as white as Nash's new friend, and we know that's not the case in-game. Essentially, don't use the art as a measuring stick for how these characters will actually look. It's just bad art.

In a later piece of art of Sean in Laura's story mode, Sean looks darker. Not as dark as he used to be but darker. I'm not using Bengus' art as a measurement of how Sean will look when he eventually joins the cast. In one part, Birdie looks pale as hell, and almost as white as Nash's new friend, and we know that's not the case in-game. Essentially, don't use the art as a measuring stick for how these characters will actually look. It's just bad art.

What do you think of his take on the NPCs in Brazil tho? That's in-game.
https://twitter.com/neo_rama/status/699861940227604481

What do you think of his take on the NPCs in Brazil tho? That's in-game.
https://twitter.com/neo_rama/status/699861940227604481

Sounds about right.

I'm not Afro Brazilian though. So, although I'm Black I'm outside looking in regarding this. And also remember this is Capcom. So they probably just went to Brazil for location test and saw all the pretty dancers and decided to make them like they are now. In no way does the Brazil stage represent the diversity of Brazil, but I don't expect it to, which is unfortunate.

VariantX

I think it depends on the game. Playing people better than you in Marvel might not work out as well as it would for you in SF unless you play that person several times in order to paint a better picture of you're doing wrong. Its not uncommon to lose or come close to losing that character with a single mistake and lose the opportunity to learn what can you do about it with that one character. I can personally learn alot more and alot faster in SF due to the slower pace of the game and come away with something in a single match in SF in comparison.

Doesn't everyone have to play people better than they are? It seems like it's the only way to improve. I have a ton of bad habits from grinding it out with other scrubs that I might never get rid of, so definitely play better people as often as you can.

Doesn't everyone have to play people better than they are? It seems like it's the only way to improve. I have a ton of bad habits from grinding it out with other scrubs that I might never get rid of, so definitely play better people as often as you can.

I usually avoid bad habits by watching players that are better than me using the same character. I've definitely taken some Laura tech I've seen Count using.

Not sure if it has been asked, but is there a way to get Street Fighter 5 frame data on a website or something? I see iphone apps, but I am among those who do not have such a luxury.

peter0611

Not sure if it has been asked, but is there a way to get Street Fighter 5 frame data on a website or something? I see iphone apps, but I am among those who do not have such a luxury.

I don't know of a site that has all the frame data available, but SRK Wiki should have it eventually: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Street_Fighter_V
The author will be manually capturing the data instead of pulling it from guides\apps, in order for those "official" sources to make some sales. But it's not possible to keep something as basic as frame data behind paywalls. That stuff should be all over the net already. Eventhubs also doesn't have it yet.

Ferrio

Banned

I'm betting Yung Art takes it.
lBvKQXn.png

jbug617

Banned
I have enough fight money for the first 2 dlc characters and I only played 3 online matches. I don't want to grind to unlock all the colors. Needing to play 30 rounds for each character on normal is really unnecessary just to unlock colors.

Welp, tried rank for the first time and it disconnected right after I won the first round. I don't think the guy pulled the plug because he was trying to dash forward. So I guess the CFN is still wonky? Did they give an ETA on when battle lounge is available?

I guess I might just try to unlock colors if the network is still jank. My CFN is SixMachine if you guys ever want to play when it works properly.

Welp, tried rank for the first time and it disconnected right after I won the first round. I don't think the guy pulled the plug because he was trying to dash forward. So I guess the CFN is still wonky? Did they give an ETA on when battle lounge is available?

I guess I might just try to unlock colors if the network is still jank. My CFN is SixMachine if you guys ever want to play when it works properly.

arent you still vulunerable to dcs during survival mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom