• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

Game is surprisingly fast paced but more importantly a lot of anti airs aren't as good or don't deal as much damage. Risk/reward ratio is in favor of guy jumping in which is why at least early in this game's cycle you will see a lot of people jumping more frequently.

Though what you are describing isn't random. You pressed a button and you got punished for using the wrong normal at the wrong time. Two things had to have happened for this situation to occur : 1) You pressing that exact normal at that exact time and 2) The opponent jumping at that time.

Your first paragraph is my issue, I think. Sticking with the Chun example, my most reliable anti-air (in most situations) seems to be st.LK which does 40 damage. You can go for dash under shenanigans and possibly reap a greater reward than the raw damage, but all you're guaranteed is the 40. On the other hand, a successful jump in into a proper full combo yields the opponent 300+ damage and put you one bad guess away from combo into stun in possibly GGs. If you anti-air somebody 80% of the time, the math is still in favor of jumping around like a nut. You have to be really consistent with anti-airing in order to truly force your opponent to play a more grounded game.

Gimme a break, GG one knockdown from a bunch of characters and the round is pretty much over.

I mean, I play xrd and I still love marvel 3 and play it constantly to this day. Both of those games have an uncomfortably high chance of ending because you got outplayed just a single time or you made just one small mistake- it's one of my biggest issues with both games. That being said, the sequence of events that lead up to that hit feel more calculated/less random than in SFV. Of course, doing random crazy stuff exists xrd and marvel (nobody can deny that!). Example: Doom is in the air, has already used his airdash, and they does not have x-factor, but they do YOLO footdive and you get hit because you really didn't expect them to bet the match on it. In xrd, Sol does 99 second grand viper in round 2 w/o burst or any meter. These things can and do work sometimes in practically any fighting game ever. SFV just feels like it has more of those moments, relatively speaking.

Infinite

Sticks too expensive
Madcatz got that small budget one if you still care. Don't know how much it is but should be cheaper
I'm really frustrated with this. Have a crappy situation at home and wanted to dig into this game at least. Oh well life sucks

Dahbomb

Most characters have more damaging anti airs than a 40 damage st.Lk though.

Though in general characters don't have great anti airs in this game. No character in this game quite has the anti air suite of characters like Balrog, Fei Long, Guile etc.

ac416c7305bf226467df6da93a5de5178ec6c956.jpg

MAGfest is lit

Zissou

Anyone got any good SFV bison guides? Preferably something not outdated.

This just came out. (cannot vouch for quality!

Most characters have more damaging anti airs than a 40 damage st.Lk though.

Though in general characters don't have great anti airs in this game. No character in this game quite has the anti air suite of characters like Balrog, Fei Long, Guile etc.

Yeah- I wonder if this deliberate.

Ferrio

Banned
why does mike ross keep getting opponents that have way lesser points than him? is matchmaking busted?

It probably prioritizes ping more heavily, especially if you set your connection to 5 only. They could make it so they only match you up with people that are right along the same points, but then matchmaking would probably take forever.

Your first paragraph is my issue, I think. Sticking with the Chun example, my most reliable anti-air (in most situations) seems to be st.LK which does 40 damage. You can go for dash under shenanigans and possibly reap a greater reward than the raw damage, but all you're guaranteed is the 40.

b HK?

Zissou

Slower start-up and more specific spacing required (at least based on my limited testing). st.LK seems to work at the same ranges b.HK works PLUS from substantially further out. The 4F startup (as opposed to b.HK's 8F) can really be the difference between cleanly anti-airing instead of (unfavorably) trading or getting stuffed.

Sayad

Your first paragraph is my issue, I think. Sticking with the Chun example, my most reliable anti-air (in most situations) seems to be st.LK which does 40 damage. You can go for dash under shenanigans and possibly reap a greater reward than the raw damage, but all you're guaranteed is the 40. On the other hand, a successful jump in into a proper full combo yields the opponent 300+ damage and put you one bad guess away from combo into stun in possibly GGs. If you anti-air somebody 80% of the time, the math is still in favor of jumping around like a nut. You have to be really consistent with anti-airing in order to truly force your opponent to play a more grounded game.
You get 40 damage, and air reset thus a chance for mixups. And if we're still talking about them randomly jumping from a distance where st.HP should reach, then st.HK will stuff their jumping attempt or even better could get a CC.

Also, an obvious jump in from that distance could easily be dealt with with an air throw for better damage and knockdown, or if you react fast enough, j.mp xx ex legs for 220 and a knockdown.

Worst case scenario, if say, someone have the read on you and will jump every time you attempt st.HP, just use tiny step forward > st.MP, same reach but slower(counting forward walk time) and less damage but recover in time to deal with jump ins.

Clawww

IMO AA potential is there in this game. it just takes work. I wish it were a little easier (AAs felt more generous in some of the betas), but overall I usually feel like there's an answer even if it's a little more effort than it should be. I'm pretty satisfied with nash and vega's air throws, they're my most comfortable characters for having one. lots of decent air to air normals across the cast, and if you get a read there are some damaging juggle options everywhere, too.

Slower start-up and more specific spacing required (at least based on my limited testing). st.LK seems to work at the same ranges b.HK works PLUS from substantially further out. The 4F startup (as opposed to b.HK's 8F) can really be the difference between cleanly anti-airing instead of (unfavorably) trading or getting stuffed.

Looked into air to air?

Zissou

You get 40 damage, and air reset thus a chance for mixups. And if we're still talking about them randomly jumping from a distance where st.HP should reach, then st.HK will stuff their jumping attempt or even better could get a CC.

Also, an obvious jump in from that distance could easily be dealt with with an air throw for better damage and knockdown, or if you react fast enough, j.mp xx ex legs for 220 and a knockdown.

Worst case scenario, if say, someone have the read on you and will jump every time you attempt st.HP, just use tiny step forward > st.MP, slower(counting forward time), less damage but recover in time to deal with jump ins.

Thanks- I think I need to cut back on st.HP use in general (hard though because it's still pretty great, haha).

Looked into air to air?

Air to air is solid, but still requires time. I do think it'll be one of the go-to methods of dealing with jump-ins spaced to cross up.

mbpm1

Thanks- I think I need to cut back on st.HP use in general (hard though because it's still pretty great, haha).

Doesn't seem that great. That range is good but then that long recovery and very specific effective range.

Then again I always overestimate how good running bear grab is now so what do I know

xCobalt

Did pretty terribly against your Laura, Count. I think you were probably the second laura I've played lol. Took awhile for me to figure out the right button in the mid range. Just gotta make sure i have charge ready to cancel mp into slash.

So were tickets going to be on sale for Evo seats today? Does gaf want to have a meetup again sitting together?

edit: Also anyone want to face my Fang? I need to get more matches with him in. CFN SixMachine.

kitzkozan

Been a while since I laughed so much watching a stream.

Mike Ross is at his trolling peak, channeling his inner Ono. :p Still, Final round is going to be an absolute blast if SonicFox is going to enter the SFV tournament. I want to see what the young prodigy can do in a stacked player pool, especially against legends such as Infiltration or Daigo (or the other top international players).

So were tickets going to be on sale for Evo seats today? Does gaf want to have a meetup again sitting together?

edit: Also anyone want to face my Fang? I need to get more matches with him in. CFN SixMachine.

I was going to buy a dedicated seat at first but now I'm going to go with GA. Sunday Finals are cool and all but I have more fun on Friday/Saturday. Would rather hold my extra funds and enjoy a bit more of Vegas.

If other gaffers are doing GA then I'd totally be down for another meetup.

GG Cobalt. Canadian shimmy too strong. I live in TX, so it's gonna be quite jumpy.

Fang's super is hilarious, I threw it out for shits and giggle and it being invulnerable on startup and it seems pretty safe.

Beckx

So if your CFN name starts with "_", then when someone searches for you, it seems to return all names starting with that character. Great.

Marz

Mike Ross is at his trolling peak, channeling his inner Ono. :p Still, Final round is going to be an absolute blast if SonicFox is going to enter the SFV tournament. I want to see what the young prodigy can do in a stacked player pool, especially against legends such as Infiltration or Daigo (or the other top international players).

Dont want to spoil it for you but:

he'll get bopped

Infinite

Hey, can anyone tell me if the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 is modable? I wanna put my sanwa and seimetsu parts in it if I can get my hands on one.

Tripon

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=195842903#post195842903

Fighting Tournament Weekend is back. A bunch of smaller, regional tournaments this week, plus a big Smash tournament in Europe that will likely get its own thread by a person who has a better understanding of Smash than I do.

The reason why I put the Wizard World Portland one up first is that they seem to have both Spooky and Chris Ceguila running the stream, so if they're able to hire known mercs like them, they should at least have a good stream going. Dream Cancel Cup (Colorado FGC, and KOF centered) and Undefeated 2016 (Angelic's tournament, and UMVC3 centered) are also this weekend.

Marz

The SFV Brady guide is worth it if anyone was wondering.

Its just like the SFIV Bible with a tad more content and its a hardcover.

Did anyone else get the floor seats or no? They sold out right after we managed to grab a pair

Edit: also, no preferred name option and I'm hella pissed about that.

Did anyone else get the floor seats or no? They sold out right after we managed to grab a pair

Edit: also, no preferred name option and I'm hella pissed about that.

I choose the 1st option, best ticket available and I got into Section 5.

edit: Also is Row A in front? Because that's what I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom