• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsody

Banned
Also if people are losing to Laura's stHK or stMK, saying "it's not worth bothering" playing footsies with her is ridiculous.
Some of you guys are making me roll my eyes here lol

There's spacing and whiff punishing that needs to be done.

Edit: Oops, meant cr.MK

Beckx

Also if people are losing to Laura's stHK or stMK, saying "it's not worth bothering" playing footsies with her is ridiculous.

look, you can't keep referring back to Yams and then say "some of you guys", that's a foul, that's not allowed.

PC here.

Yup. It's kind of the entire game if your opponent is any good...

Rhapsody

Banned
look, you can't keep referring back to Yams and then say "some of you guys", that's a foul, that's not allowed.

PC here.

I guess I'm also thinking about some of the stuff I'm seeing in the OT as well lol
Same with the stuff like being sad about "high commitment" moves getting punished by a jump in.

Hearing that Cammy was bad and had trouble opening people up made me want to face palm in the OT :[

Beckx

I guess I'm also thinking about some of the stuff I'm seeing in the OT as well lol
Same with the stuff like being sad about "high commitment" moves getting punished by a jump in.

Hearing that Cammy was bad and had trouble opening people up made me want to face palm in the OT :[

people have a hard time saying that "my decisions generally cause me to lose games." It's easier to blame the profound sadness of having a punishable DP than the decision to throw out the DP in the first place.

I know that's why I lose. It frustrates the hell out of me, but that's what I have to improve.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If only all of you knew what I had to go through yesterday in SFV.
;_;

:|

That doesn't make a matchup difficult lol

Its make it difficult for me ;_;

Its literally roundhouse meaty, dash in, strong strong short dash, grab or command grab. I wanna throw a fireball at a safe distance, JUMP. I try to anti air, DUR WRONG SPACING. His cr. mk is bad, like really bad. I have to get into their face to get it to work and by then I'm probably being beaten out by a better button.

Edit: Oops, meant cr.MK

You just keep on going deeper into the wound. Put in some chlorine while you're at it.

PC here.

Yo thrown under the bus again.

Yup. It's kind of the entire game if your opponent is any good...

Juicebox-senpai ;______;

mbpm1

Its make it difficult for me ;_;

Its literally roundhouse meaty, dash in, strong strong short dash, grab or command grab. I wanna throw a fireball at a safe distance, JUMP. I try to anti air, DUR WRONG SPACING. His cr. mk is bad, like really bad. I have to get into their face to get it to work and by then I'm probably being beaten out by a better button.

Welcome to every day of no reversal boys life tbh

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Basically people are telling me to go by Isai's motto, don't get hit

I'm now realizing that SF4 being my first competitive game, it brought upon a lot of bad habits. I have to build myself from the group up again and change my thinking pattern. I swear to god Count was forcing me to evolve like when you use rare candies on a pokemon. The man had no chill whatsoever, I had to learn parry timings on the spot for him to stop pressuring me.

mbpm1

Basically people are telling me to go by Isai's motto, don't get hit

I'm now realizing that SF4 being my first competitive game, it brought upon a lot of bad habits. I have to build myself from the group up again and change my thinking pattern. I swear to god Count was forcing me to evolve like when you use rare candies on a pokemon. The man had no chill whatsoever, I had to learn parry timings on the spot for him to stop pressuring me.

On the plus side, parry into super on a called out block string is just Kreygasm

It's always fun playing long sets with people that have never played against a Laura and seeing how many st.HK CCs i can get before they learn to start blocking.

and when they do stop pressing buttons you ex command throw
mqunTrN.png

Beckx

What is with every high LP Ryu I fight just running away and spamming hadouken the entire fight? It's really hard to deal with as R. Mika if they know what they're doing at controlling distance.

okay now I see why Rhapsody is going crazy, lol

Ryu has practically no range. His walkspeed is good but that's about it. His entire gameplan is about getting you to respect and/or attempt to counter hadokens.

"Running away and spamming hadoken" is more or less smart play. If it's annoying, pick up Nash/Bison or someone who has instant answers for it. Laura's EX elbow is a good choice, as is Fang who can rack up damage while Ryu is waiting around.

Rhapsody

Banned
His cr. mk is bad, like really bad. I have to get into their face to get it to work and by then I'm probably being beaten out by a better button.

First step is to learn that doing cr.MK repeatedly isn't footsies, despite how good it was in SF4. It still has its place as a button.

Laura's buttons... they're not particularly that great at a range to be honest. She shines up close, but make sure she has to work for it to get into that range. If you're looking to press buttons to just keep her out, you'll have to rethink things a bit.

If you're having issues anti-airing, rethink what buttons you're using against which angles. stLP? DP? Jump back fierce? You said wrong spacing is what makes you miss it. You should instead consider maybe a different anti air instead since good opponents will not jump in at the same angle to where you'll get your easy anti airs.

Also make sure to not have Laura push you into a corner. You need to establish space and push her back. Move just outside of her st.HK range and push her forward. Use Hadouken as a poke. If she ever does her fireball in neutral, stay at a space where you can just sweep her.

Don't be shy on using V Reversal on Laura either if things come down to it.

pizzacat

Banned
Idk about the v reversal, ryus is probably different than Karins but I did one as her and got my shit thrown, and doesn't Laura have that fast dash? She'll be in ryus face again

Right?

He seems good right now but I think he's ass. You need a damaging anti air to make your zoning a threat which he doesnt have, his v-trigger mixup is super easy to block after you've seen it 5 times, his buttons are meh, his walkspeed is ass.

I dunno about ass. The only real problem I have is the constant revolving door of antiairs you need to choose & when you choose wrong you end up getting blown up. The biggest offender being EX Sonic Scyth which should be a way better AA then it is for the meter. They could have at least given him upper body invincibility on hit so he doesn't get trades that are not in his favor.

Ryu has practically no range. His walkspeed is good but that's about it. His entire gameplan is about getting you to respect and/or attempt to counter hadokens.

"Running away and spamming hadoken" is more or less smart play. If it's annoying, pick up Nash/Bison or someone who has instant answers for it. Laura's EX elbow is a good choice, as is Fang who can rack up damage while Ryu is waiting around.

Is fireball zoning really that viable in V? It seems like the Fourwude style of abusing the dash speed and high damage confirms/punishes is more effective, but maybe I just haven't seen a really good "traditional" ryu yet

Manbig

Having played Count a ridiculous number of times, I can tell you that matchup is difficult for Ryu since he can get punished for trying to DP on wakeup. Best idea is to zone her and keep her out of your face. Sadly her roundhouse CC and crouching forward is too damn good to even bother playing footsies with her.

Edit:

Did I mention that she has a two button dash?

Honestly, if you're letting her get into cr. MK range, then you're already fucking up. st. HK I can understand, since that has a ton of range. Keep her the fuck away from you.

Dealing with her dash is like dealing with any other dash. Learn to try to react to it in some way.

When you knock Laura down, she's free to meaty pressure since her armor on EX Elbow is not instant.

I'm not 100% on her V Skill kick's frame data on normal hit, but it seems like she's either even, or negative, so you don't have to be scared to press quick buttons after it hits you.

If you block her QCF+LP, you get a free mix up on her. Go to training mode, and record her doing that and then jumping. Block it, and test your buttons. If you find one that hits her before she can jump, test it again on a QCF+LP on block into EX elbow. If your button works versus both of those options, then you're in a great spot. If not, you can grab her out of EX elbow and any other buttons that she tries to press in that situation other than her super.

If she grabs you with either command grab, or her hit throws, DO NOT STAY DOWN. The only thing that you do from staying down is giving her free 50/50s between st. MP meaty and command grab, unless of course you have a DP, which gives her a third option to think about, but you get the drift. Quick rise into block will stop her from getting anything but meaties in this situations, which forces her to change it up with a dash up or cross up attempt, which makes her have to work much harder to mix you up.

Consider jumping tatsu to close the gap on her if the opponent is just mindlessly throwing out her projectiles form far away to build meter. I haven't tested this myself, but I imagine it'll do a good job of closing the gap, and maybe even getting behind her.

Ryu's backdash is insanely good. Consider using it more on wake up from quick rise after getting hit by her her command grab and hit throws. She actually has to adjust her timing on her meaties slightly vs Ryu in these situations, and if you notice that your opponent doesn't have that timing down, you can escape for free from the bootleg vortex.

You can DP and even jump after her super flash. I just learned that the hard way last night.

Her QCF+HP anti air goes up at a super vertical angle. You can probably find a good jump arc that can sneak behind this move on cross up attempts. Test that shit out in training mode.

st. MP into cr. MP is not a true block string. It's only a frame trap.

Uhh... That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope all of this helps you in that match up. If you're wondering about some of what she can do on oki, I'll share my video again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkhR68Znn8

Ferrio

Banned
Wake up dps? Her st.HK will completely stuff those unless its EX.

Isn't the mp shoryu invul too?

I'm not 100% on her V Skill kick's frame data on normal hit, but it seems like she's either even, or negative, so you don't have to be scared to press quick buttons after it hits you.

Ya, it's 0 on hit, really negative on block. Not scary at all. Also when it CCs I have yet to find anything that follow it up with unless you're in the corner.

Rhapsody

Banned
Idk about the v reversal, ryus is probably different than Karins but I did one as her and got my shit thrown, and doesn't Laura have that fast dash? She'll be in ryus face again

Right?

Yeah, I've gotten blown up by getting thrown at times. Sometimes I just have to get a feel for the opponent on when to do V reversals at proper timing. Since I use Karin, I'm lucky that dealing with Laura's dash isn't that bad unless she's already pressuring. In neutral I just try to react to the distance shrinking with a button or maybe a sweep.

I recall her dash being a lot farther when she's in V trigger too, so if you keep your spacing right, it's not too difficult to clip her on a bad dash in.

Manbig

can y'all niggas chill with the anti laura tech??

No.

It's been a super easy road for me so far, because people don't know how to handle any of that shit. The oki is great, but I want people to figure that shit out, so I can evolve my game further and be forced to use other options. I ain't about that flowchart gimmick shit amigo!

I suck and want to be forced to play better. :(

Isn't the mp shoryu invul too?

Ya, it's 0 on hit, really negative on block. Not scary at all. Also when it CCs I have yet to find anything that follow it up with unless you're in the corner.

You get st. MK into command dash, which allows you to either cross under, or do a fake cross under depending on both your timing, and if you hold back or not.

Also, yes, Ryu's MP DP is invuln on the first frame. Test your shit, people!

Ferrio

Banned
You get st. MK into command dash, which allows you to either cross under, or do a fake cross under depending on both your timing, and if you hold back or not.

I'm never close enough to land the st.MK. I try to do her overhead at max range if I can (so just her heel is hitting), so if it's blocked they have to work to punish it. At that range the only thing that can possibly follow up a CC with is an st.HK

Manbig

Lmao the scrubs in there are lucky the thread moves too fast for me to bother going in there otherwise id be going to town on these clowns probly getting banned.

You act incredibly obnoxious. Exactly the kind of person that fighting game communities need less of.

I'm never close enough to land the st.MK. I try to do her overhead at max range if I can (so just her heel is hitting), so if it's blocked they have to work to punish it. At that range the only thing that can possibly follow up a CC with is an st.HK

I haven't done any testing from max range, but st. HK is certainly better than nothing. Have you tried st. HP? Also, try mashing that shit out after confirming the counter hit. Might just be that you're pressing it a bit too late. Also, try a slightly delayed cr. HP. I know it sounds weird, but I've seen some weird reset stuff with that thing in a few videos, and it does have decent range.

Ferrio

Banned
You act incredibly obnoxious. Exactly the kind of person that fighting game communities need less of.

I haven't done any testing from max range, but st. HK is certainly better than nothing. Have you tried st. HP?

I guess I phrased it wrong. At max range the st.HK lacks the range to follow up most times. So I know st.HP is out of the question. EX elbow hits, but that's a waste of a bar when it doesn't follow up the second hit.

Wish that overhead had a bit less recovery on hit. That and her EX throw having armor would be nice QoL changes. I still don't understand what they want us to do with the EX throw.

notworksafe

Lmao the scrubs in there are lucky the thread moves too fast for me to bother going in there otherwise id be going to town on these clowns probly getting banned.

Says the dude who used srk shortcut in sf4. shaddup son. need kuma to come in to clown your ass again

Marz

I forget why that happened. I remember that it vanished one day in the hot summer but was too lazy to check and read back all those pages.

The real reason we got moved to community is cuz people couldnt help themselves from posting anime talk every 5 seconds. Shouta gave like multiple warnings, people still couldnt help themselves and refused to stop discussing anime so it got moved.

Then the dudes who wouldnt shut up about anime wouldnt shut up about the thread being moved for 3 months.

Dahbomb

I forget why that happened. I remember that it vanished one day in the hot summer but was too lazy to check and read back all those pages.
Bakedyams and Kadey posts were cited at examples of why were are getting moved to OT. Though those posts were more bad timings than being the real reason we got moved.

Really though it was because we just ended up going off topic a lot which means anime talk, FGC gossip of the day and random not so safe for work images. Though inflammatory Marz-like posts didn't help things either.

Says the dude who used srk shortcut in sf4. shaddup son. need kuma to come in to clown your ass again

isn't it actually optimal to use the shortcut since you can DP from crouching? I didn't really play enough of IV for it to matter

I'm finding it helpful in SFV not because I can't do DP motions, but because it's impossible to accidentally get fireball or super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom