• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marz

I hate how stubby and shitty most normals are. I know Juicebox and others keep repeating that this makes for a good nuetral game as it forces you to take risks, but i dont see why every character can't have good buttons and produce the same desired result.

I feel like SFIV had much better hitbox/animation correlation. Yes, there were moves that had awful hitboxes that didn't match the animations, but in SFV pretty much every character has multiple attacks with that problem. Especially low forwards.
That definitely wasn't the case with the earliest iterations. They did improve it a fair bit come Ultra though.

I hate how stubby and shitty most normals are. I know Juicebox and others keep repeating that this makes for a good nuetral game as it forces you to take risks, but i dont see why every character can't have good buttons and produce the same desired result.
You could always main someone with great normals.

Like Nash!
Or Chun-li.

That definitely wasn't the case with the earliest iterations. They did improve it a fair bit come Ultra though.
That gives me more confidence.

I guess they didn't want another Elena cr.LP/Vanilla Ryu cr.MK situation

halle berry or hallelujah

mbpm1

I agree, that's why I'm glad Gief is a character with good ones in this game. Or at least, I've never had a moment where I'm like "that normal should DEFINITELY have hit them but didn't bc of hitboxes".

Except for Lariat, which is garbage

FACE

Banned
Earlier I punched my table and cut my hand because I got so angry after losing to a Laura that I felt I should have beaten easily. I screwed up a lot in that match. The change of scenery from SF4 to SFV has lessened the salt a bit, but I can still get unbelievably angry sometimes. Always end up scaring the hell out of my wife. She pleads me to stop but I can't help it, I want to keep player and I'm going to continue losing my cool sometimes. BTW, this is the first time in a while that I've done something like this. I'm not that crazy.

As for ranked, yes it takes way too long between matches. I miss the old way of choosing my opponents or hosting just because it was a speedier process. At the very least you knew what was going on. Either you got a match, your opponent kicks you, or he never hits ready. This waiting game can be infuriating after a loss because I'm so eager to get into the next match and redeem myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKhRzanOfQ4

Marz

I guess they didn't want another Elena cr.LP/Vanilla Ryu cr.MK situation

halle berry or hallelujah

Yea its like a delicate balance to keep a character from relying on one dominant button; i get that...but man Ryu feels so weird without having that classic cr.mk to check people low. Sweep is even worse i hate how that button even looks.

I agree, that's why I'm glad Gief is a character with good ones in this game. Or at least, I've never had a moment where I'm like "that normal should DEFINITELY have hit them but didn't bc of hitboxes".

Except for Lariat, which is garbage

Giefs awesome in this, I kind of want to play him too lol. Think im going to play most of the cast for the first couple months.

I considered Chun, but i hate having to take jump ins.

I'll have to experiment with Nash next time i get a chance to play.
What do you mean "take jump-ins"? Chun has one of the game's best anti-airs, right up there with Cammy and Birdie.

The only characters with bad anti-airs are Bison and Nash, AFAIK. Maybe FANG, because I still don't know his normals.

Bison is on his own tier of awful in this regard, as Li Joe showed us last night.

Yea its like a delicate balance to keep a character from relying on one dominant button; i get that...but man Ryu feels so weird without having that classic cr.mk to check people low. Sweep is even worse i hate how that button even looks.

Ryu's cr.MK -> Fireball has barely any pushback too lol

Wallach

What do you mean "take jump-ins"? Chun has one of the game's best anti-airs, right up there with Cammy and Birdie.

The only characters with bad anti-airs are Bison and Nash, AFAIK. Maybe FANG, because I still don't know his normals.

Bison is on his own tier of awful in this regard, as Li Joe showed us last night.

Nah F.A.N.G is really solid in AA between s.MK and cr.HP, nevermind various Nishikyu fucking up all kinds of jump attempts.

Marz

That isnt doing enough damage for me to dissuade jump ins. I need something doing 100+.

Same with Birdie's st.mp.

mbpm1

Alright, so just Bison and Nash don't deserve usable anti-airs for some unfathomable reason.

they also don't deserve walkspeed

I'm pretty sure it is. I should probably test it tbh

I know Ken's cr.mk to fireball is so bad you can get a full punish or at least a sweep on it most of the time from almost any range. sucks

That isnt doing enough damage for me to dissuade jump ins. I need something doing 100+.
Anti- airs in this game that aren't dp don't seem to do more than 100 damage. Wimpy looking/sounding ones like jab don't make people want to stop really either. Sometimes that works for you though

BadWolf

Chun's cr. HP is also very punishable on block, so are all the lightning kicks save for the ex version.

Infiltration had zero problems anti-airing with Nash yesterday, you just need to know your normals with him.

Beckx

At very close ranges, I think it is.

Alright, so just Bison and Nash don't deserve usable anti-airs for some unfathomable reason.

Vega's c.HP seems to trade a lot. At least with claw-on; claw-off is either better or I was getting the timing down better. Either way, it doesn't cover much space. His other two anti-airs are specials and both difficult to use. HP ASE has a bit of start up and I can't figure out the best way to use it. LK CT is neat but really hard to time (though it also has the chance to just take you away from the situation). I need to test jump back MK and air throw more.

Chun's cr. HP is also very punishable on block, so are all the lightning kicks save for the ex version.

Infiltration had zero problems anti-airing with Nash yesterday, you just need to know your normals with him.

isn't c.MP a good anti-air option for him? Saw infil using that a ton.

Vega's c.HP seems to trade a lot. At least with claw-on; claw-off is either better or I was getting the timing down better. Either way, it doesn't cover much space. His other two anti-airs are specials and both difficult to use. HP ASE has a lot of start up and I can't figure out the best way to use it. LK CT is neat but really hard to time (though it also has the chance to just take you away from the situation). I need to test jump back MK and air throw more.

isn't c.MP a good anti-air option for him? Saw infil using that a ton.
Vega has the air throw, though.

Oh shit, so it's just Bison without an anti-air in this game? :(

mbpm1

Vega has the air throw, though.

Oh shit, so it's just Bison without an anti-air in this game? :(

What's wrong with cr. hp? Besides the reeally slow startup

I think outside of pre-emptive fireballs FANG's AA isn't as good as it appears. There's a decently sized spot between st. mk range and Cr hp effective range where FANG just has to take it

Marz

Everyone has an "anti-air" but its an issue of whether your low damage anti-air is going to keep good players that know in what situations to jump on the ground instead of risking 50 damage for the possibility of a 400 dmg jump in combo.

Producer

I dont see why people not getting dissuaded to jump is a bad thing. They can keep getting AA'd and then take a mixup, at least with Chun. She can do several things after a AA sLK.

Beckx

Can we talk wake up options? I'm still completely at a loss what to do as Vega once I'm on the ground and near the corner.

Producer

no one has ever landed a jump in on you?

I'm talking about someone saying sLK's low damage doesnt stop people from jumping in. In my experience i've AA'd with it the majority of the time and then got a good mixup it. For me they can keep jumping, i'll just keep punishing. But maybe i just havent played real good players.

Zissou

Everyone has an "anti-air" but its an issue of whether your low damage anti-air is going to keep good players that know in what situations to jump on the ground instead of risking 50 damage for the possibility of a 400 dmg jump in combo.

This is the truth. If you have reliable anti-airs that do functionally no damage, they aren't a strong deterrent to jumping.

Rhapsody

Banned
It seems punishable

Hadoukens are -7 on block iirc

When anti airing as Bison, you're going to have to jump back jab or some other air normal a lot. If you don't have enough time to react at the distance, try to not stay in a distance to where it'll be too hard to anti-air. There are times when you just can't so you'll have to just dash under and avoid the whole situation if possible.

If worse comes to worst, you have 3 bars for V Reversal if you need it.

You could always main someone with great normals.

Like Nash!
Or Chun-li.

That gives me more confidence.

Fuck those two and Karin for this. Especially Karin and Chun's sweep. "You must commit", give me a fucking break. Being -11 or whatever don't mean shit when they do it at max distance and none of my normals will reach them. They practically get free max distance sweeps against probably the majority of the cast. Meanwhile Ryu always moves forward during his sweep and it has this huge hit stop on block. Meaning he's always punishable on block and is also letting you know for at least a couple seconds that he is.

Zissou

Fuck those two and Karin for this. Especially Karin and Chun's sweep. "You must commit", give me a fucking break. Being -11 or whatever don't mean shit when they do it at max distance and none of my normals will reach them. They practically get free max distance sweeps against probably the majority of the cast. Meanwhile since Ryu always moves forward during his sweep and it has this huge hit stop on block. Meaning he's always punishable on block and is also letting you know for at least a couple seconds that he is.

I can punish everybody's sweep (...with Chun)

Rhapsody

Banned
This game is like old SF. Not everyone deserves the same kind of really good anti-air lol. Characters should have weaknesses here and there. Giving Chun an anti air that could do 100+ damage would be ridiculous with her current arsenal lol
Did they keep delayed wakeup like in Ultra or did it go back to before when the only other time to get up was quick rise?

No delayed wakeup. There no recovery, normal recovery, and back recovery. Back is sort of like 3rd Strike, but you can't cross up an opponent by dashing over them like that game.

Marz

This game is like old SF. Not everyone deserves the same kind of really good anti-air lol. Characters should have weaknesses here and there. Giving Chun an anti air that could do 100+ damage would be ridiculous with her current arsenal lol

Yea im not saying that, im just saying the reason I dont play Chun is cuz i dont like having people play Super Mario Bros. on me lol

Tularensis

Neo Member
Can we talk wake up options? I'm still completely at a loss what to do as Vega once I'm on the ground and near the corner.

Just block. Seriously. Vega has no usable reversals, and meaties are an actual threat in this game, so you really need to tighten up your defense and trust in your down-back. If you're cornered and feeling anxious, don't hesitate to V-reversal and wall jump out. Problem with that is a lot of good players can tell when a cornered Vega is nervous and will instead meaty throw on your wake up to beat out the V-reversal. So it really comes down to keeping your composure and being comfortable on the defensive.

But the best advice for the situation? Don't get cornered.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Let's all do our best to not be like Yoshichan. It's actually my personal goal to be a lot less emotionally involved when playing this game since it tends to be too distracting and stops me from thinking practically about the game.

Yes, you keep being less emotionally involved with games. You do that.

Beckx

Just block. Seriously. Vega has no usable reversals, and meaties are an actual threat in this game, so you really need to tighten up your defense and trust in your down-back. If you're cornered and feeling anxious, don't hesitate to V-reversal and wall jump out. Problem with that is a lot of good players can tell when a cornered Vega is nervous and will instead meaty throw on your wake up to beat out the V-reversal. So it really comes down to keeping your composure and being comfortable on the defensive.

But the best advice for the situation? Don't get cornered.

Thanks, I guess this confirms that when I thought I didn't have a lot of options I wasn't missing anything, hah.

First time playing Ryu and was also shocked actually experiencing the cr. MK vs seeing it, playing against it. I love his jumping HK and his overhead. Also, cr.MP to fireball to super is never not fun. Also feels good to parry but not a good feeling to parry a jump in then get his or thrown.

Gief/Cammy/Sim for me but I really want to try every cast.

Gief feels like he is a normal monster with a sprinkle of surprise SPDs since they are no longer a fast special. I feel like standing jab and that jumpy headbut are good anti airs. Can't use air SPD to anti air to save my life. Feels weird not to have a green hand ender. Need to work on my tick throws and use cr. light punch or hardkick to prevent jumpers after knockdown.

Cammy has a great buttons but I need time to learn her combos. Having great luck with Cr MP, standing MP since they both cancel into spiral arrows but haven't figured out how to combo from her cr. light kick or cr. jab. Had no use of her CC (sweep and HK?) Back MP for anti air leads to a lot of silly oki if you choose to do that.

Sim feels like I need to learn a lot more setups and get MUCH MUCH better at instand air Flames and teleports.

Rashid looks appropriately annoying. I saw Lamerboi on CCN replays and it was inspiring.

Rhapsody

Banned
First time playing Ryu and was also shocked actually experiencing the cr. MK vs seeing it, playing against it. I love his jumping HK and his overhead. Also, cr.MP to fireball to super is never not fun. Also feels good to parry but not a good feeling to parry a jump in then get his or thrown.

Gief/Cammy/Sim for me but I really want to try every cast.

Gief feels like he is a normal monster with a sprinkle of surprise SPDs since they are no longer a fast special. I feel like standing jab and that jumpy headbut are good anti airs. Can't use air SPD to anti air to save my life. Feels weird not to have a green hand ender. Need to work on my tick throws and use cr. light punch or hardkick to prevent jumpers after knockdown.

Cammy has a great buttons but I need time to learn her combos. Having great luck with Cr MP, standing MP since they both cancel into spiral arrows but haven't figured out how to combo from her cr. light kick or cr. jab. Had no use of her CC (sweep and HK?) Back MP for anti air leads to a lot of silly oki if you choose to do that.

Sim feels like I need to learn a lot more setups and get MUCH MUCH better at instand air Flames and teleports.

If you're good with feeling out counter hits, CH LP is good into MP linked into HP. Without CH, lights I just do two into spiral arrow. Her CC isn't that bad. HK CC into crHP into super does well over 400 damage if you want something simple. Go into V Trigger if you want, but don't use both V Trigger and super since it's not worth using both in the same combo. Without resource on a Crush Counter, just do stuff like MP into HP or any other damaging BnB.

I can't remember if she can get a dash in after landing a crush counter for a full combo. Something I've yet to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom