• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long cancel window doesn't have much to do with recovery animation, seems to be intentionally implemented in specific attacks. Things like Ken's b.MP, st.HP, while having long recovery animation have very short cancel window after HP. Probably to prevent from doing a delayed Hadouken, taking advantage from the push back to make it safe/less punishable.

Thanks for focusing on something that wasn't at all relevant, sorry for mentioning it.

Up to you, don't respond unless you want to.

Specifically I was talking about Ryu's heavy punch. Which has an additional recovery animation that can be freely cancelled into anything. It's just there purely for looks and shouldn't have any impact on gameplay.

Tripon

Up to you, don't respond unless you want to.

Specifically I was talking about Ryu's heavy punch. Which has an additional recovery animation that can be freely cancelled into anything. It's just there purely for looks and shouldn't have any impact on gameplay.
I think Sayad is confused because your previous post reads like you were annoyed with him for clarifying the active frames.

GorillaJu

I'm probably wrong here but I thought Ryu's standing fierce couldn't be canceled? Or are you talking about his crouching fierce?

You could also make a claim that in that case, the extra window for special canceling makes the execution slightly easier.

I'm probably wrong here but I thought Ryu's standing fierce couldn't be canceled? Or are you talking about his crouching fierce?
It's not special cancelable. It can be cancelled into HK because of the target combo. But there are additional frames of recovery animation which can be cancelled into anything. Unless there is a specific term for this because it's an animation that plays after the move is performed but you can't be punished as the animation will be cancelled into something else, actually I am not 100% it can be cancelled into block but it probably is right?

Sayad

But there are additional frames of recovery animation which can be cancelled into anything. Unless there is a specific term for this because it's an animation that plays after the move is performed but you can't be punished as the animation will be cancelled into something else, actually I am not 100% it can be cancelled into block but it probably is right?
That small animation at the end isn't part of the move actual recovery, by then you can block, jump, move, etc... Basically the move have fully recovered and that animation is just there to make the transition from HP animation to idle animation look smooth.

That small animation at the end isn't part of the move actual recovery, by then you can block, jump, move, etc... Basically the move have fully recovered and that animation is just there to make the transition from HP animation to idle animation look smooth.
Ok then what is it called.

GorillaJu

It's not special cancelable. It can be cancelled into HK because of the target combo. But there are additional frames of recovery animation which can be cancelled into anything. Unless there is a specific term for this because it's an animation that plays after the move is performed but you can't be punished as the animation will be cancelled into something else, actually I am not 100% it can be cancelled into block but it probably is right?

I imagine that there is some overlap between the animation transitioning to neutral and a time period where you can cancel into HK or block yeah.

Sayad

Ok then what is it called.
In 3D animations it's called animation blending, it has no effect what so ever on the gameplay so I doubt it has a FG terminology. You usually see it in 3D fighters only, SFV is the first time I noticed it in a 2D fighter.

From the OT:
ICYMI

From the Street Fighter twitter:

http://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/700783628012290048?p=p

screen_shot_2016_02_20_at_9_34_40_am_by_emezie-d9sg281.png
Nice, guess we should start complaining about unlocking colors/survivor mode if we want it fixed.

GorillaJu

I truly hate survival mode. I wish hard mode were 10 battles with hard CPUs, not 25 battles with brain dead fuckballs, then 25 hard ass fights with enemies who V trigger to extend combos and do 40% dmg to you and shit.

It's dumb as fuck, I'm not touching it again until something changes.

Dlent

I truly hate survival mode. I wish hard mode were 10 battles with hard CPUs, not 25 battles with brain dead fuckballs, then 25 hard ass fights with enemies who V trigger to extend combos and do 40% dmg to you and shit.

It's dumb as fuck, I'm not touching it again until something changes.

Judging by the 0.1% of the population that has the hard mode trophy, virtually everyone agrees with you. I made it to round 47 before being scummed out, and I might even be masochistic enough to try again.

This doesn't even feel as hard as something like Unlimited Mars in Blazblue, but the sheer quantity and the whole one round format combined with the healing RNG make it way less fair,

In 3D animations it's called animation blending, it has no effect what so ever on the gameplay so I doubt it has a FG terminology. You usually see it in 3D fighters only, SFV is the first time I noticed it in a 2D fighter.
But it's not blending animations. It's an additional animation that moves away from the idle stance before returning to it. It doesn't smooth it out.

Astarte

I'm spending more time with Blazblue and GG than SF5 :/
I don't know why, but the hype deflated straight out of my system after 5's release. Birdie is still really fun, can't seem to get any matches though.

Sayad

But it's not blending animations. It's an additional animation that moves away from the idle stance before returning to it. It doesn't smooth it out.
Baked blending animation! It's a continuity to the HP animation that leads into the idle animation, just done manually.

pixelish

apparently xian inspired the capcom dev team to create the variable system in sfv
http://geekculture.co/interview-with-street-fighter-5-tomoaki-ayano/

“During gaming events prior to SFV’s announcement, we would be getting feedback from professional gamers in the fighting game community from time to time. The most interesting one I got was from Xian. He casually mentioned that the next Street Fighter that there should be another resource meter that fills up as you take damage that’s similar to Street Fighter IV’s Revenge gauge, but with a different spin.

That got our team thinking: instead of a killer combo, why not have the character power up to heighten their fighting style and trait, or even have a one-shot special to get out of a bind? This led to the eventual creation of the V-Gauge and V-Trigger; players are given more freedom in doing combos or playing defensively when V-Trigger is activated.”

NEO0MJ

I'm spending more time with Blazblue and GG than SF5 :/
I don't know why, but the hype deflated straight out of my system after 5's release. Birdie is still really fun, can't seem to get any matches though.

Yeah, lack of matches really kills any motivation. It becomes even worse when after finally getting a match the connection is bad.

Seems like Laura and Necalli blow up Dhalsim.

I have beaten more Lauras and Necallis than I have lost but I do think once people figure it out it can be real big trouble for Dhalsim. He has no reversal option and v-reversal can get blown up by command grabs, so if they just jump one limb or get a dash in, they are pretty much in his face. Necalli stomp pressure is a guessing game if you have no invincible reversal once he is in, because you can jab out the heavier stomps but the light stomp will counter hit a jab. But if you block a non-light stomp, he has frame advantage (I think he might be negative on mk but still safe). Also they can run meaty setups if they get a knockdown, so that's another scary thing.

It's a delicate balance from what I can tell. Necalli looks to be about even and Laura is easier to zone out. Dhalsim is in for a world of hurt however if they get in and guesses incorrectly with the threat of command grabs, or cannot shake them off with V-Reversals.

GorillaJu

Basically yeah. I've cheesed a few wins against Necallis, but you can't go toe to toe with either of them (or Mika, though not quite as bad). Dhalsim has a way higher jump than Necalli, so I just jump and V-skill at the peak of the jump to stay away. If they try to DP or jump and hit you, you just j. HP from above them and it'll hit because j.HP has like a 270-degree arc for a hitbox.

Grakl

I have beaten more Lauras and Necallis than I have lost but I do think once people figure it out it can be real big trouble for Dhalsim. He has no reversal option and v-reversal can get blown up by command grabs, so if they just jump one limb or get a dash in, they are pretty much in his face. Necalli stomp pressure is a guessing game if you have no invincible reversal once he is in, because you can jab out the heavier stomps but the light stomp will counter hit a jab. But if you block a non-light stomp, he has frame advantage (I think he might be negative on mk but still safe). Also they can run meaty setups if they get a knockdown, so that's another scary thing.
Necalli only has frame advantage on stomps in v-trigger

GorillaJu

Sim has trouble dealing with Laura's fireball. Its just one big hitbox where if he tries to throw a punch at it, he'll get hit.

Yeah but her fireball is suuuper easy to punish with a teleport since the charge telegraphs it. If she's using a fireball from stretchy-limbs distance, then she'll probably be far enough away to want to charge it a little. Just teleport behind and smack dat ass

Necalli only has frame advantage on stomps in v-trigger

Even the heavy one? I know that one has slower startup, but if it is 0, I might try something after blocking it, though I think it might push me back far enough for a jab to miss. Need to check it out when I get a chance later today.

Grakl

Even the heavy one? I know that one has slower startup, but if it is 0, I might try something after blocking it, though I think it might push me back far enough for a jab to miss. Need to check it out when I get a chance later today.
Yes, heavy is 0 when not in v trigger

Sim has trouble dealing with Laura's fireball. Its just one big hitbox where if he tries to throw a punch at it, he'll get hit.
Standing fierce punch cleanly goes underneath it, as does his roundhouse slide. Not without its risks mind you, so you have to examine how the Laura behaves after charging up her projectile. On-reaction teleports are also an option, like GorillaJu pointed out.

Yeah but her fireball is suuuper easy to punish with a teleport since the charge telegraphs it. If she's using a fireball from stretchy-limbs distance, then she'll probably be far enough away to want to charge it a little. Just teleport behind and smack dat ass

You're right. The fireball has super slow recovery. I've been punished multiple times for using it.

Astarte

Yeah, lack of matches really kills any motivation. It becomes even worse when after finally getting a match the connection is bad.

Getting the achievement for waiting over 30 minutes in the waiting for opponent menu made me sad. Thanks capcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom