• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks. Hopefully your community is tight enough to find out who it was.

One of the benefits of having a close community and resources being shared like a cabinet or shared sticks where people don't always need to bring their own controller.

There's an ice cream shop across the street so before leaving for the night I went there. I had the pad in my purse and I was eating ice cream outside the store. It was cold as hell so I decided to finish my ice cream in my car. After finishing and answering a few texts I put phone back in my purse and it wasn't there. I'm guessing it fell out between my cold root beer bottle and fiddling with my purse but I couldn't find it. I told my local to be on the look out in the mean time. I think there's a possibility I took it out of my purse while at the table and got my phone out. Another victim of smartphones.

So technically I don't think anyone from my local store it besides this one guy we don't know who was talking on his phone outside and was in the vicinity where my pad could have fell out. But I can't just go up to him and say "I think you stole my pad."

NEO0MJ

That awful feeling when you try to introduce a new fighting game but then everyone just wants to play the old one ( ._.)

Sayad

I hear they exist. Idk what they are though.

Gief's EX grab seems to be free against AI though
At higher difficulty AI start jumping out of Mika's command grabs on reaction. :(

Wouldn't mind the bullshit if the end of round bonuses weren't random, losing while having ~350000 because you could only buy low health is the worst... Oh,wait, the worst is losing to the netcode.

mbpm1

At higher difficulty AI start jumping out of Mika's command grabs on reaction. :(

Wouldn't mind the bullshit if the end of round bonuses weren't random, losing while having ~350000 because you could only buy low health is the worst... Oh,wait, the worst is losing to the netcode.

Ah, Gief for some reason doesn't have this with his EX grab. The AI sits down and watches you throw them

of course, this needs meter so technically not free.

Survival on hard seems like a slog though. I don't even know how you consistenly get damage against an AI like that

Sigmaah

I'm tryna put in this work in ranked but once I get a match it says connection with opponent lost. Never had this issue before.

Are servers fucked right now?

Nvm got a match

I remember Diablo II launch back in the day. The servers were so bad that you would get DCed randomly, but it kept your last action as an infinite selection before doing so, and the disconnect was asymmetric. So on my screen, I got disconnected. On Blizzard's end, my character is still running in a given direction and dies. There were so many times I would DC, log back in, and be dead from an unknown source.

That's why I am not touching any single player content in this game until the servers are fixed.

I remember Diablo II launch back in the day. The servers were so bad that you would get DCed randomly, but it kept your last action as an infinite selection before doing so, and the disconnect was asymmetric. So on my screen, I got disconnected. On Blizzard's end, my character is still running in a given direction and dies. There were so many times I would DC, log back in, and be dead from an unknown source.

That's why I am not touching any single player content in this game until the servers are fixed.

Yup. I'm gonna wait a few weeks till the servers are completely smoothed over before doing the SP content. Definitely don't wanna get screwed out of fight money.

Rhapsody

Banned
So, anyone have tips for playing Vega?

Heh. I was talking about Smash, and a couple of years before Tekken. I wonder how successful SF V will be at bringing over and actually maintaining casual players.

I feel like SFV will help bring over and maintain the people that were somewhat casual competitive? That middle ground. Changes like the buffer system and other stuff are probably helpful at keeping their interest in check.

For the casual it might be small. Complaints on tactics that we've heard about for decades now are still being complained about. But at least SFV's a new game, so for those people that were waiting for a new game so everyone can start at an "even" playing ground will increase the playerbase a bit.

Sigmaah

3k+ bison gets bopped and then just rage quits..... Come on son those were some od points I didn't get. Ima save the vid and put this nigga on blast

Art is rank 3 already. Jesus. Last time I checked when he streamed yesterday he was like 10000+.
People really like to push buttons against his Sim whenever they're knocked down. Taking away half their health just off of that alone, save for the rare few legitimately good or experienced players in Ranked.

SlimXx

YWEoM5u.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Seriously though, where are all the Japanese with the game. Want to see the regulars like Bonchan, Kaz, Fuudo, etc playing it and see how they are at this moment.

GorillaJu

Why is it that properly AA-ing jumpins is something I have never managed to accomplish in the years I've been playing fighting games? I do it maybe 1/10 times, and not because I don't know the right buttons, I'm just not thinking "AA that"

Why is it that properly AA-ing jumpins is something I have never managed to accomplish in the years I've been playing fighting games? I do it maybe 1/10 times, and not because I don't know the right buttons, I'm just not thinking "AA that"

I'm kind of the same way. When playing the beta, I was getting jumped in a lot, and I play Birdie, who has one of the best AA normals in the game.

Now that I'm playing against humans, I'm AA-ing more consistently, but I still miss obvious AAs.

Marz

Anti-Airing is an art. Its something that takes a long time to get good at and its not something that you can really practice outside of actual matches.

Big key is learning situations and being able to read your opponent. Its why certain players seem so amazing with controlling the skies because they've played enough and been in enough tense moments that they know when their opponent want to jump.

Its very hard to focus on the ground game and the air at the same time, one of the few players in the world that can do this is Fuudo. But for example, you can focus on the ground game for a couple seconds, anticipate a jump..if it doesnt come switch back to the ground game.

Thats where it gets really difficult though. You dont want to get jumped on, but at the same time you dont want to sacrifice your ground game so a lot of it is simply reading sitautions and reading your opponent.

Fighting games.

GorillaJu

It's very true, you really can't practice AAs because players jump when they're triggered to jump, so to speak.

I've gotten a pretty good handle at the very start of the match. I throw out an MP and an MK (dhalsim here), and they either block or get hit by them and realize walking forward isn't going to work, so I throw out a light Yoga Fire and they invariably jump into it. Almost every match starts that way, except against Chun's (they always start with sweep) and Necalli's, who also fish for crush counters.

One way of getting better at it is the process of trial-by-fire. I've been struggling with anti-airs a lot in this game too - hell, elsewhere too quite frankly - and I've noticed an improvement in my play just by brute forcing myself to focus on it. Trying out Dhalsim's various anti-airs at different times, different positions, against different moves until it started feeling more natural. Mistakes were made and there have been moments where I've eaten big damage because of this method, but it's been helpful with how I wrap my mind around matters like these.

Another habit that I've subconsciously gotten myself into that I only really realized once I heard Arturo bring it up during his stream: you have to be regularly repositioning yourself (even if it's only slightly going backwards or forwards) and pay attention to whether the enemy player is doing this as well. Subtle movements in an opponent's behaviour can manipulate him/her into feeling they're at the right distance to jump in on you, whereas on the flipside you can also tell what their intentions are (potentially!) just by looking how they walk or which moves they're executing from a distance. With this, you can start placing yourself in a way where it's easier to respond to something on-reaction with the above in mind, whereas it tends to be increasingly more of a 'guessing' game if you move just a little bit too far away from that sweet spot. Realizing this certainly upped my consistency of landing anti-airs, albeit more refinement being in order still.

It also helps to move your vision towards the sky away from your own character to tighten up your reflexes. You can see Sako do it a few times in this match video in fact, as well as for other kind of reactions like whiff punishing.

Already posted?

@ultradavid @jchensor
SFV System: canceling late active frames of normals allows for combos that normally don't work https://t.co/9QsBAucsl5
https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/700827948492963840

@ultradavid @jchensor I explained it in the other tweet, what's happening in SF5 is that yes even though hitstun is a fixed #, the cancel...
@ultradavid @jchensor ... doesn't happen until all the active frames happen. So if you buffer normal>>special, the cancel starts at last AF
@ultradavid @jchensor so if you cancel from last AF, the hitstun dealt at that point doesn't have to be wasted waiting for initial AF
https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/700839539737305088

@ultradavid @jchensor this also applies to Bison's TC. Spacing the st. MP to hit late allows it to combo without CH. https://t.co/70PWb5Lsif
https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/700842881779683329

GorillaJu

That's the mechanic that makes it possible for Chun Li to do st.MP, cr.MK, SBK. It's some high-execution stuff.

I can't imagine it wasn't intentional.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What do you mean "take jump-ins"? Chun has one of the game's best anti-airs, right up there with Cammy and Birdie.

The only characters with bad anti-airs are Bison and Nash, AFAIK. Maybe FANG, because I still don't know his normals.

Bison is on his own tier of awful in this regard, as Li Joe showed us last night.

Vega has pretty dire anti airs

MrDaravon

I want my colors. No way I'm going to do survival to unlock everyone colors.

This. Unless some super easy way to cheese all difficulties with all characters comes out I'm not touching it ever again after getting disconnected on round 29 normal yesterday. Locking costume colors behind skill gates is super dumb, especially for brand new/terrible players.

It's probably because of the new target combos. Where the moves go through specific animations and aren't interrupted by cancels to look cool. Then again this game has some really long ass recovery animations too. Just a ton of stuff in there purely for aesthetic reasons.

Sayad

It's probably because of the new target combos. Where the moves go through specific animations and aren't interrupted by cancels to look cool. Then again this game has some really long ass recovery animations too. Just a ton of stuff in there purely for aesthetic reasons.
Long cancel window doesn't have much to do with recovery animation, seems to be intentionally implemented in specific attacks. Things like Ken's b.MP, st.HP, while having long recovery animation have very short cancel window after HP. Probably to prevent from doing a delayed Hadouken, taking advantage from the push back to make it safe/less punishable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom