• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Just sick of the jumping and want real fights.

The real fights are mostly against new or "new" characters. I have no idea how to fight against Karin, Fang, or Necalli.

If you rank up to higher LP and play better players, you'll see fewer jump shenanigans. As someone struggling in the trench myself, I think it's part of the progression ladder to win those low-skill fights by relentlessly punishing the unsafe moves and jump-ins.

Throw is counter-hittable right?

yeah, but I just autopilot a safe hit-confirmable normal in case they actually block. I can probably optimize it more with a shimmy or crush counter normal, and I'm going to have to practice crush counter punishes since the other half of the people I play only wakeup with DPs.

As strange as it sounds, I need to learn to jump more. If people aren't going to AA I need to exploit that.

It's not a scrub quote. We established people are jumping in despite me lk-ing them a billion times because they're scared of the ground game. Either I keep ranking up and no more jump in people who actually want to fight and aren't playing cat and mouse or time to switch characters so people aren't as threatened of my ground game.

It's not a scrub quote. We established people are jumping in despite me lk-ing them a billion times because they're scared of the ground game. Either I keep ranking up and no more jump in people who actually want to fight and aren't playing cat and mouse or time to switch characters so people aren't as threatened of my ground game.
Why do you care that they are jumping if you aren't having any trouble stopping them?

pixelish

i'm confused. is this a secret bragging post?

i'm confused. is this a secret bragging post?

No. I've had my growing pains and losses as much as anyone. I just don't find those fights interesting. What can I learn from them? What mindset should I have when fighting people like that? I review matches like that and I can't think of something I learned, so I don't find much value in them. Maybe my mindset needs opening.

Moaradin

https://twitter.com/4Strateqy/status/701202009022734336

PR Rog posted the name of a guy who rage quited against him and the guy denined it. SFV already producing tons of salt.

I had this happen to me earlier today:

sfvsalt05rpv.png

This is the kind of salt I've been missing.

hitsugi

No. I've had my growing pains and losses as much as anyone. I just don't find those fights interesting. What can I learn from them? What mindset should I have when fighting people like that? I review matches like that and I can't think of something I learned, so I don't find much value in them. Maybe my mindset needs opening.

You just have to accept those matches as free points and move on. I think any decent player has their share of matches where they just shrug afterward because it was so bad. If someone constantly jumps, they probably aren't even considering what the ground game is... that's all they know

I love fighting Birdie's and Karin's because they generally know what they should be doing and it makes for exciting fights and especially if it's a Karin I get blown up.

Tripon

I had this happen to me earlier today:

This is the kind of salt I've been missing.
I have questions.

Why is he embarrassed for you?
Why is he telling you to get off his list when he is the one who made the request?
Why did he care about your age?

I don't really see where all the confusion comes from with the distaste of jumpers in online matches. Yes, they're easy punishes and they allow you to test your reflexes / spacing by constantly anti-airing them on a superficial level, but it's anything but interesting nor do you really learn anything out of those matches either beyond refining an incredibly basic mechanic, regardless of its actual importance. It's a dull auto-pilot affair and largely a waste of time for many reasons.

Increase walk speed then because this jump in shit makes for the most tedious of fights. So repetitive. Fight me on the ground!
Walk speed isn't the issue in this game, it's strictly a mentality problem. Those very same players would do the exact same thing in other fighting games too.

Leveling up reaches a point of diminishing returns. You're going to reach a point where it's unreasonable to expect to learn something from every opponent. Not every set is going to be a profound experience you can review.

That being said there's always value. Practice links, practice punishes, practice trip guarding and throw teching. These guys are important for staying sharp on your AA. Learn the spacing to AA with her b+hk instead of st lk. Chun Li is a footsies character, even the best players in the world are going to jump in on her a lot if it's a match where she greatly out footsies them.

GorillaJu

I don't really see where all the confusion comes from with the distaste of jumpers in online matches. Yes, they're easy punishes and they allow you to test your reflexes / spacing by constantly anti-airing them on a superficial level, but it's anything but interesting nor do you really learn anything out of those matches either beyond refining an incredibly basic mechanic, regardless of its actual importance. It's a dull auto-pilot affair and largely a waste of time for many reasons.

Walk speed isn't the issue in this game, it's strictly a mentality problem. Those very same players would do the exact same thing in other fighting games too.

Agree and disagree. Learning how to combat annoying shit is just part of every fighting game. Better learn to deal with it with unerring consistency because it's not like good players never, ever jump, so it'll, be useful knowledge even if you climb the skill ladder.

I like going through the gauntlet of shit tactics and fake "tech" because you learn well through repetition. Much better than training dummies.

Yeah I don't get it. Because anti airing is important those superficial fights are supposed to be fun?

Training mode in sfv is really annoying. I feel like the options are made to frustrate more than they should be. I really finish fighting games had standards for QoL shit like this.

I mean you're eventually going to reach a point where most opponents are "superficial".

Hopefully.

Some people don't and prefer to complain about it constantly.

kirblar

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Sim gets nerfed if the set play aspect of him gets a bit out of hand later on. The character might not even be that top tier but the playstyle is something Capcom is probably keeping their eye on.
Im shocked they let the teleports go live as is.

Agree and disagree. Learning how to combat annoying shit is just part of every fighting game. Better learn to deal with it with unerring consistency because it's not like good players never, ever jump, so it'll, be useful knowledge even if you climb the skill ladder.

I like going through the gauntlet of shit tactics and fake "tech" because you learn well through repetition. Much better than training dummies.
Practicing something with unerring consistency is what Training Mode is designed for though, and you'll be practicing anti-airing in literally every single match as it is so you're better off facing someone who does jump in with variance in his timing, his buttons and his angles. Stops you from becoming complacent and dulling your focus.

Shouta

Went 2-2 in my my first SF. Not too bad for my first tournament since Evo last year. I wasn't up to date with some of the changes and was jittery in some matches I should have done better in but oh well. That'll fix itself as I play more in those situations.

Birdie is dumb powerful and Top 5 in the game right now, no contest. He even has a low confirm into damage, lol. st.mk and is a seriously ridiculous button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom