• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

Damn. How do you even stay running your mouth after getting exposed like that. Not even losing a match, ragequitting in front of a live audience.

BadWolf

Sim is going to be a problem for sure.

Combine what Tokido, Arturo and FChamp have been doing and there is a lot to worry about, a lot.

El Sloth

Banned
noticed tokido isn't using those terrible SF4 normal conventions like roundhouse or short
Those are what the buttons were called on SF2 machines.

Jab Punch, Short Kick, etc. At least that's how it was on the cabinet at the pizza place I played at growing up had it!

Dahbomb

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Sim gets nerfed if the set play aspect of him gets a bit out of hand later on. The character might not even be that top tier but the playstyle is something Capcom is probably keeping their eye on.

I feel a little bit better struggling against a touch-of-death Mika now with Tokido also having difficulties. Just a little.

Tokido decided on Sim.
This isn't what I expected from Tokido. Intriguing.

Sim's definitely getting the nerf bat whenever that balance patch drops.
I don't see why. There's clear openings in between the stunts that Arturo / FChamp like to pull, but most players don't tend to recognize them yet. I've only seen a handful handle the situation accurately in between NLBC and WNF plus he walks a fine line in the neutral, so give it time.

Why are people in this game so jump in crazy? Even when I've established I'll kick you out if you try it they still keep trying it. I can't wrap my head around it. It's like their only plan of action is to jump in. Can these people do nothing from the ground?

GorillaJu

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Sim gets nerfed if the set play aspect of him gets a bit out of hand later on. The character might not even be that top tier but the playstyle is something Capcom is probably keeping their eye on.

Kind of unfair to call for nerfs on a character because one of the best fighting game players in the world is winning with him. Don't want another MvC3 Sentinel situation where people just haven't learned to deal with him and he gets nerfed out of the game.

That said, I would be totally fine with this as a Sim player provided they even it out by enhancing some other areas.

mbpm1

Why are people in this game so jump in crazy? Even when I've established I'll kick you out if you try it they still keep trying it. I can't wrap my head around it. It's like their only plan of action is to jump in. Can these people do nothing from the ground?

They're afraid of Chun's buttons/they don't feel discouraged by the damage of your AA when they know if they land the jump in they get 300 damage

Tripon

A couple of things:

Jumping is easily the easiest way to move in this game and the fastest too. Especially with the slow walk speeds.

People have bad habits built up, and even if they know that jumping in is bad, it takes a while to figure out what to do next. If we played each other right now, I would still probably jump into you even after I know you can anti air me until I make a councious effort to not jump in.

Anyway, it's not on you Cindi to fix their bad habits. Just expoilt and punish. They will learn eventually or keep on being easy prey.

He mained Sim in Alpha 3 and SFXT. I actually suspected that he would've for V.
Especially since he's got some cheap stuff unlike SFIV
Oh, I should've clarified. I meant that other characters in V specifically seemed more up his alley, since I was aware he picked Dhalsim in those games too.

Going off of Juicebox' stream among others, the majority of the players out there have a very poorly developed neutral or lack contingency plans if their initial strategy didn't pan out. So chalk it up to not knowing any better yet.

Daigo saying SFV feels KOF-like.
Coming off of IV, that's a very good thing.

Anne

Part of it is people are just bad, the other part is ground footsies in this game can sometimes be kinda whack and some players will take the risk vs it.

They dont respect your anti-air or the risk is worth to keep doing it. So they keep jumping. Anti airs seem to be wonky here and there. A jump in leads to big damage. Take the risk.

Or they dont care. People jump hella in a all sf games when they shouldn't, not just 5. People do it in 4 all the time.

Just sick of the jumping and want real fights.

The real fights are mostly against new or "new" characters. I have no idea how to fight against Karin, Fang, or Necalli.

Rhapsody

Banned

Some people can't establish a good ground game. You'll also have players that will realize that there's a greater chance for them to catch you off guard with a jump in compared to on the ground and they're willing to take that risk.

There's also the case that on the ground, it's hard for people to hit confirm if they're not used footsies (anticipating when something will hit). It's much easier for players to confirm from a jump in like it's training mode.
Just sick of the jumping and want real fights.

The real fights are mostly against new or "new" characters. I have no idea how to fight against Karin, Fang, or Necalli.

If you're ever up to fight my Karin and want practice in that MU, I'm always up for it. Granted, I'm not that amazing with her as some other people.

mbpm1

Some people can't establish a good ground game. You'll also have players that will realize that there's a greater chance for them to catch you off guard with a jump in compared to on the ground and they're willing to take that risk.

There's also the case that on the ground, it's hard for people to hit confirm if they're not used footsies (anticipating when something will hit). It's much easier for players to confirm from a jump in like it's training mode.

Some characters also can't neutral as well as others, so they jump as their best resort.

Jumping is part of real fights in FGs. A match pace not going your preferred way doesnt make it not a real fight. Make them stop jumping or just take the win.

If somebody has better neutral buttons and i have good air buttons and angles. Why wouldnt i jump in when i see a chance.

Rhapsody

Banned
Although I will say it's not a bad idea to do jump ins early on in a match to test whether they're capable of anti airing some awkward ranges. Especially considering they don't have the meter to punish your jump ins hard just yet.

Sayad

A couple of things:

Jumping is easily the easiest way to move in this game and the fastest too. Especially with the slow walk speeds.
Most people aren't used to dashing being good yet, you compensate for the slow walk speed by dashing, not jumping, it's more obvious with characters like Bison, but this is true for most of the cast.

It's sort of the interesting adjustment coming from ST, since I didn't really play much of the other SF games. The game becomes extremely one-sided if the other side chooses not to adapt, but in a different way. In ST it was always "I'm going to keep doing this til you show me you know how to stop it" but in SFV it's more like "I guess I have to meaty you for this whole match because you're always mashing throw on wakeup". It's just awkward for me since I haven't played against that kind of scrub for so long, I always get hit by the fifth jump-in because I figured they'd stand still after I AAed the last 4.

Jumping is part of real fights in FGs. A match pace not going your preferred way doesnt make it not a real fight. Make them stop jumping or just take the win.

If somebody has better neutral buttons and i have good air buttons and angles. Why wouldnt i jump in when i see a chance.

Lol I just fought a Laura who did nothing but jump. Was the most mind numbingly dull fight of all time. Real fight, whatever. Not an interesting one, that's for sure. I guess you think playing cat and mouse is a viable "real fight" as well? Shit is boring.

mbpm1

It's sort of the interesting adjustment coming from ST, since I didn't really play much of the other SF games. The game becomes extremely one-sided if the other side chooses not to adapt, but in a different way. In ST it was always "I'm going to keep doing this til you show me you know how to stop it" but in SFV it's more like "I guess I have to meaty you for this whole match because you're always mashing throw on wakeup". It's just awkward for me since I haven't played against that kind of scrub for so long, I always get hit by the fifth jump-in because I figured they'd stand still after I AAed the last 4.

Throw is counter-hittable right?

Dahbomb

Kind of unfair to call for nerfs on a character because one of the best fighting game players in the world is winning with him. Don't want another MvC3 Sentinel situation where people just haven't learned to deal with him and he gets nerfed out of the game.

That said, I would be totally fine with this as a Sim player provided they even it out by enhancing some other areas.
Not saying they SHOULD nerf him but if they nerfed him I wouldn't even be shocked. It's less about character strength.

Sims flame on block should be punishable.
He's already at a positional disadvantage if LP Yoga Flame is blocked. MP and FP have longer wind-up animations. There's openings in between raw instant-air Yoga Gales too.

Not saying they SHOULD nerf him but if they nerfed him I wouldn't even be shocked. It's less about character strength.
Eh, I think people will adapt to his 'set play' in due time. A lot of people just have a nasty habit of pushing buttons right now.

Jumping is much faster than walking in this game, which encourages newer players to jump more often to close the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom