• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

He -chose- not to tech 4 times in a row. This game is too simple for Art to screw that up. You're gonna see a bit more of this in the future with how simple the mixup game is in SFV.
I was watching your stream during beta and remember you saying you think most top players aren't gonna tech throws because it's better to take the damage and reset than to be under sustained pressure. The problem I see with that is if you concede every throw you're basically starting each match off with 2/3 life because they do so much damage in SF5, and if you know your opponent just won't tech, it's free damage/stun. I just can't see anyone letting that happen to themselves in high stakes matches. Maybe someone dedicated to playing the percentages and believing that in the long run you'll win more, but when it comes down to it each match is an individual beast, especially in a knockout tournament.

Infinite

I was watching your stream during beta and remember you saying you think most top players aren't gonna tech throws because it's better to take the damage and reset than to be under sustained pressure. The problem I see with that is if you concede every throw you're basically starting each match off with 2/3 life because they do so much damage in SF5, and if you know your opponent just won't tech, it's free damage/stun. I just can't see anyone letting that happen to themselves in high stakes matches. Maybe someone dedicated to playing the percentages and believing that in the long run you'll win more, but when it comes down to it each match is an individual beast, especially in a knockout tournament.

also stun

Rhapsody

Banned
Juicebox or anyone really. For people that use fireballs as a poke, what's your thought process on dealing with it?

Do you usually take the bulldog approach and start a poke when you see some hesitation from throwing another fireball? Or do you guys usually try to get a read on a fireball pattern to see when to jump?

Fraeon

Fang is one of those characters along with Dhalsim and Zangief that really require a completely different approach. I checked some Fang in practice and I feel like I have an idea what Fang wants to do but it's still challenging getting next to him with Necalli or Karin to get some actual offense going.

The poison makes me generally not want to hang back too much.

those KOF stages look a lot more inspiring than SFV

hey shouta is your CFN ID shouta? last time i checked CFN shouta he had no ranked matches under his belt

Yeah because they don't have Ono in there who loves everything silly. I love Ono, but keep him away from my fighting game stages.

dawg

When rollback netcode goes bad in SFV, it feels like it's going to give me a seizure. All the teleporting, skipping and jittering around. Gives me a headache.

if you know your opponent just won't tech, it's free damage/stun.

Sure. But eating the frame trap is probably MORE damage and stun than the throw so...

Maybe someone dedicated to playing the percentages and believing that in the long run you'll win more

Exactly.

Juicebox or anyone really. For people that use fireballs as a poke, what's your thought process on dealing with it?

Do you usually take the bulldog approach and start a poke when you see some hesitation from throwing another fireball? Or do you guys usually try to get a read on a fireball pattern to see when to jump?

Pretty much every fireball has worse startup than a heavy normal. If you anticipate one, simply walk forward and press a button to stuff its startup. If you're too far for this to work, jumping is an option as is using tools such as Dhalsim's slides or Chun's crMP on reaction.

No fireball thrower can keep you out of poke range -unless- they are constantly flinging plasma. In that case, any good appropriate EX move/Vskill/jump will ruin their day.

Lastly, with some characters, you are not under pressure to do anything about it. If you're Nash or Necalli (among others), you can discourage this strategy easily with Vskill or simply not moving forwards.

Rhapsody

Banned
Pretty much every fireball has worse startup than a heavy normal. If you anticipate one, simply walk forward and press a button to stuff its startup. If you're too far for this to work, jumping is an option as is using tools such as Dhalsim's slides or Chun's crMP on reaction.

No fireball thrower can keep you out of poke range -unless- they are constantly flinging plasma. In that case, any good appropriate EX move/Vskill/jump will ruin their day.

Lastly, with some characters, you are not under pressure to do anything about it. If you're Nash or Necalli (among others), you can discourage this strategy easily with Vskill or simply not moving forwards.

Thanks. One of my weaknesses is not taking the initiative at times. Same goes for not taking a more aggressive approach when I should. I'll be sure to keep all this in mind.

mbpm1

No Capcom Pro Talk this week?

tumblr_o2kbj0Hi4T1un7uhro2_r2_250.gif

Thores

Effie was in Rashid's story mode blowing up his twitter, right? Necro can't be far behind.

"effiepurpnight" was actually Crimson Viper, since Rashid refers to her as "Maya", which is apparently Viper's real name. Either Effie or Necro do make a cameo in his Story as a throwaway tweet about Dhalsim's stretchy arms though, along with Abel tweeting that he bumped into Sagat in the mountains and Dan tweeting that he finally paid his phone bill. I wonder if the localization messed up and accidentally gave Viper Effie's username and vice versa. (Effie's handle is FreedomTraveler_Ilya.)

Line_HTX

Transitioning to stick is aggravating. I can't do what I used to do on pad.

Oh, it was frustrating for me too. Took me a good month to unlearn my old habits on pad, but it paid off in the long run. Now I never have to worry about cutting my left thumb when I play Tekken or do combos in ASW games.

Shun

Transitioning to stick is aggravating. I can't do what I used to do on pad.

How many sticks did you buy before settling on the new HRAP4K?

Didn't you already buy a HRAP 4, return it, get a Fighting Edge on accident not knowing it was PS4, get or plan on getting a TES+?

Maybe I am just used to it but I guess one step in the right direction is just getting used to using your fingers and wrist and not your arm. Is it the stick itself, the buttons, or what general issue do you have?

It is a common problem that people have in a lot of different fields not exclusive to a fightstick. People who play percussion and drums can fall into a similar bad habit too with not using their wrist properly or people who play badminton or other sports.

Tekken teach me how to learn how to use stick properly when I learned things like sutesute and yamasute and all the moves like 6523 instead of 623.

If I was to learn how to play on arcade from scratch, Tekken would be best in my opinion.

I am surprise at so many people using their arm to play stick or play sports. I wonder how they even do that.

jerry1594

i think in karins story mode they made an allusion to oro as well.

dno how much it means tho.
Oro is in sim's story.

Stick was a pain in the ass until recently. It just clicked for me. One major problem was backdashing was so awkward. Then I stopped using my wrist and and started using my fingers to move the balltop if that makes sense. Also, I'm a slow learner. Like a heron taking 50,000 years to figure out to use bait to catch fish, but not that long. The thumb and index finger method of holding the balltop was totally alien to me until i realized I should hold it like a pen. I'm not used to that way but I'll likely switch soon. Anyway you just have to play a lot, and slow down a lot to understand what you're doing wrong and should be doing.

How many sticks did you buy before settling on the new HRAP4K?

Didn't you already buy a HRAP 4, return it, get a Fighting Edge on accident not knowing it was PS4, get or plan on getting a TES+?

Nope. Fighting Edge was the first stick I bought. I got it because SFV ps3 stick support was announced, but it turns out legacy support is a nightmare and ps3 sticks are banned at many tourneys and namely EVO, so I'd have to buy a new stick anyways. So I decided to get a ps4 stick. My first choice would have been TES+ but those are completely back ordered and I need a stick NOW because I go to my first major in a few months and I need to adjust to stick in the mean time while keeping on top of my game. I can't wait for MCZ to restock their shit, so I pulled the plug on the HRAP4Kai even though I really wanted a TES+. If there were more ps4 arcade stick options available for purchase, I would have had one a while ago. Alas. I never bought an HRAP before. I had one reserved but it wasn't available because someone bought it already.

Maybe I am just used to it but I guess one step in the right direction is just getting used to using your fingers and wrist and not your arm. Is it the stick itself, the buttons, or what general issue do you have?

Getting used to the stick is my issue. I've got a good grip. Playing matches with a friend is helping but it's still infuriating because I feel like I could do so much better, but can't. So I get swept even though I thought I was holding down back but I was actually holding back or just regular down. I'm getting used to it, but it's aggravating seeing my play reduce to this. The only thing I can rely on now is anti-airing and footsies, and even footsies aren't reliable because a lot of my moves change depending on direction, and I'm getting used to putting the stick to neutral after walking. I can't do Karin's st MK without it turning into that one kick special she has, because I have to adjust to going back to neutral every step.

vocab

I think i'm beginning to think modern SF isn't for me. 5 fixed some things from 4, but I'm not having fun playing 5.

Anne

Juice is saying the truth about throws lol sometimes youll just get thrown 7 times and lose a round. Its going to happen. Other times youll throw somebody 7 times or just land a CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom