• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes it different from SFV? Isn't it 6, 6 in both games?

Xrd has air dashing and I-no in particular has a float dash which is helping me adjust to learning how to hold the stick in place during dash. Doing her float dash to air dash is a skill that you're not going to use in SFV which should help with execution.

CurlyW

Small bit of news: CEO 2016 will use smash.gg for registration for all games, even non-Smash games. (via Twitter)

Alex Jebailey
‏@CEOJebailey
Great team over at @smashgg. Gonna use their system/site for #CEO2016 registration. Love the ease of use, tracking, setting up doubles etc.

Alex Jebailey
‏@CEOJebailey
@shoujozenzen All games, we're gonna use CEO to help implement more games into their system for other TO's that are interested.

Playing Metal Slug with a stick with the lights off FEELS so right. It's like I'm back in the arcade in the 90's at my skating rink. OMG.

RWBeDPJ.jpg

Touchpad integration hasn't slowed the new MCZ models. From Teyah:
Teyah said:
Quick and dirty results for the new MCZ sticks: TE2+ is about as fast as the Xrd pad (A+), TE-S+ is about as fast as the Hori pad (B-).

Rhapsody

Banned
For the topic of throws, I'm definitely willing to take the throw if I'm super unsure.

It's not like SF4 where throws lead into some really nasty 50/50 or unblockable at times.

I think Capcom fucked up with the Capcom Pro Tour points distribution. I thought it was bad last year and I think it's bad this year. I don't like how points double as you place higher and the weighting is just off.

For example, Brazil's ranking event is taking place on the same weekend as Evo. Whoever gets 1st gets 128 points. That's the same amount as Evo's 4th place, yet the difficulty to achieve the 4th place is much much more difficult. Last year it was smarter to just attend ranking events because it was really difficult to do well at the premier events. Making top 4 at a premier event was harder than winning a ranking event.

Anne

I miss having a color in street fighter :< I could usually count on a set up letting me have a color but now I feel like there's no point in picking one because no set up on earth is going to have it outside of my home one.

For the topic of throws, I'm definitely willing to take the throw if I'm super unsure.

It's not like SF4 where throws lead into some really nasty 50/50 or unblockable at times.
Yeah they do what are you talking about? This game is all about 50/50s especially off throws. You can literally react to your opponents wake up in this game and go for a meaty 50/50.

The throws that leave some chars minus and most in a situation where they can't force a mix up?

Okay.

Oh boy a few characters don't have strong mix ups off one of their throws, JUST like SF4 imagine that. You heard it here first, throws suck and there are no mix ups after them.

CO_Andy

Why you gotta blow up my man Farms?

Also why you gotta watch trash streams like Maxs'?
If Max keeps a stream archive i'll double check to make sure my eyes and ears weren't deceiving me.

Also Max isn't THAT bad. He bodied JaycetheAce tonight.

Getting used to the stick is my issue. I've got a good grip. Playing matches with a friend is helping but it's still infuriating because I feel like I could do so much better, but can't. So I get swept even though I thought I was holding down back but I was actually holding back or just regular down. I'm getting used to it, but it's aggravating seeing my play reduce to this. The only thing I can rely on now is anti-airing and footsies, and even footsies aren't reliable because a lot of my moves change depending on direction, and I'm getting used to putting the stick to neutral after walking. I can't do Karin's st MK without it turning into that one kick special she has, because I have to adjust to going back to neutral every step.
It'll get better over the next few days. I've already made some significant progress in a week (like being able to semi-consistently pull off instant-air Yoga Gales from both sides in Training) but I still have a long way to go to get back to where I was with a normal gamepad during my heyday in IV. I've been tempted to try going back once out of curiosity to see where I might be worse at by comparison, but I'm going to persevere with it regardless since I already noticed big improvements in my ability to combo vs standard controller. Just need to grow muscle memory for both sides, which I have been making strides in too during this short timespan. Basic movement getting tighter as well, but still prone to making accidental jumps (which hurts on Dhalsim and Birdie) albeit at a lower frequency.

Juice is saying the truth about throws lol sometimes youll just get thrown 7 times and lose a round. Its going to happen. Other times youll throw somebody 7 times or just land a CC.
This makes me feel a little bit better about being a failure at teching!

Well, not really.

Any arcade games like Hard Corps Uprising on ps4?
Nothing like what you asked for, but Pix the Cat might be good for practicing basic movement since it's Pac-Man CE mixed with Snake on crack.

Also shout-outs to Eri being the best Metal Slug character.

Rhapsody

Banned
If Max keeps a stream archive i'll double check to make sure my eyes and ears weren't deceiving me.

Also Max isn't THAT bad. He bodied JaycetheAce tonight.

Justin also bodied JaycetheAce tonight. JaycetheAce pls.
Unless it was some guy that stole his name

NEO0MJ

I have no idea how to make the best use of Vega's forward fierce after a crash counter. I m also too afraid to use it as a meaty as I feel it's too easy to stuff.

Numb

I have no idea how to make the best use of Vega's forward fierce after a crash counter. I m also too afraid to use it as a meaty as I feel it's too easy to stuff.

Always use it to fish for trigger into super .Randomly works
If you hve all that meter

NEO0MJ

Always use it to fish for trigger into super .Randomly works
If you hve all that meter

I didn't think there was any time to follow it up with anything considering how far an opponent often ends up. I'll try that. Any other tips with the character?

Xrd has air dashing and I-no in particular has a float dash which is helping me adjust to learning how to hold the stick in place during dash. Doing her float dash to air dash is a skill that you're not going to use in SFV which should help with execution.
play Millia, she will really make you learn your stick. Her challenge combos have whats worth learning, one of her BnBs is in there, but what you can do is, starting from the left side of the screen

2S > 2HS > jc(9)> j.S > j.D > IAD(69 or 99 work) > j.S > j.H > dash > 236H

between the jump cancel, instant air dash, and dash to place a ring its a good way to really get a feel for a stick. And of course reverse sides and practice from 2P

Numb

I didn't think there was any time to follow it up with anything considering how far an opponent often ends up. I'll try that. Any other tips with the character?

Dudes trigger is fast. My fav in the game so far. Basically hit it anytime a button connects and works more than expected if you weere fishing and if you have super on deck then it's even better

It'll get better over the next few days. I've already made some significant progress in a week (like being able to semi-consistently pull off instant-air Yoga Gales from both sides in Training) but I still have a long way to go to get back to where I was with a normal gamepad during my heyday in IV. I've been tempted to try going back once out of curiosity to see where I might be worse at by comparison, but I'm going to persevere with it regardless since I already noticed big improvements in my ability to combo vs standard controller. Just need to grow muscle memory for both sides, which I have been making strides in too during this short timespan. Basic movement getting tighter as well, but still prone to making accidental jumps (which hurts on Dhalsim and Birdie) albeit at a lower frequency.

play Millia, she will really make you learn your stick. Her challenge combos have whats worth learning, one of her BnBs is in there, but what you can do is, starting from the left side of the screen

2S > 2HS > jc(9)> j.S > j.D > IAD(69 or 99 work) > j.S > j.H > dash > 236H

between the jump cancel, instant air dash, and dash to place a ring its a good way to really get a feel for a stick. And of course reverse sides and practice from 2P

Dashing is still taking getting used to the most: I'm tying to not ride the gate or do it too hard. I don't think I am. Last night before bed to test what Gootecks said what a lot of new players do while dashing - hard and imprecise - my office desk shook. It never shook during play, so I think I'm on the right track.

On GG, I'd input my combos and they'd come out like a second later. Is that input lag? I'm not sure. I should do the challenges with my DS4 to see if it's the case.

Tripon

41.990 on Media Create for Japan week 1 for SFV. Even if we're assuming a high digital download rate for Japan (we shouldn't since Japan on a whole still likes buying physical media), that's about as well as Ultra did 18 months ago.

Fighting games have a uphill slog, guys.

GorillaJu

Stop doing unsafe slides... Stop doing unsafe slides... Stop doing unsafe slides...

*slides*

*punished for 30% dmg*

FUCK!

^^ me playing Dhalsim.

Japanese players have insane defense. Every jump in anti-aired, every throw teched, every overhead blocked, and with unerring patience. One guy ran the clock down for 65 seconds crouching patiently, waiting for me to attack. (I had a sizable life lead) (he didn't move until there were 5 seconds left) (he lost that round)

41.990 on Media Create for Japan week 1 for SFV. Even if we're assuming a high digital download rate for Japan (we shouldn't since Japan on a whole still likes buying physical media), that's about as well as Ultra did 18 months ago.

Fighting games have a uphill slog, guys.

I wonder if they're gonna retool their stance on no arcade version in Japan now, considering performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom