• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
OrakX5o.jpg

Pretty sure MVC4's coming

So there's videos of FourWude going against Tokido's Dhalsim online on youtube. I wonder how good the connection was? I don't think replay mode captures any rollback that happens?

Horseress

So there's videos of FourWude going against Tokido's Dhalsim online on youtube. I wonder how good the connection was? I don't think replay mode captures any rollback that happens?

Well, he posted this

Adeel
@FourWude

Capcom pulled it off. We finally have offline quality netplay from America to Japan.

Replay mode probably doesn't capture rollbacks but they were doing combos, so it was probably at least acceptable

BadWolf

Really? can you posts videos of these or something?

Might be the crouch tech Momochi was talking about in his new lecture series vid.

He did it by entering the throw command after inputting a crouching MP. You have a 2 frame window to do it or something such.

Infinite

But it's like I don't think you can stop people from discovering OS because of input buffering but if you don't want OSes to influence your game you sort have to plan on addressing the problematic ones once they come to fruition.

Manbig

I wonder if this is still in the game.

It's not new. Nerdjosh found it during E3 last year so Capcom had to know about it.
http://shoryuken.com/2015/06/17/tsn...-option-select-variation-in-street-fighter-v/

I meant new as in new to SFV. Sorry for not being clear.

Nice, I love crouch teching. I hope they don't mess with this.

No thank you. I'd rather people learn mind games instead of being gifted strong defensive options due to some unintended input allowance. Option selects make these games less fun more often than not.

Sayad

1 week since release and we've already got crouch techs and OS' for days

what a time to be alive

Might be the crouch tech Momochi was talking about in his new lecture series vid.

He did it by entering the throw command after inputting a crouching MP. You have a 2 frame window to do it or something such.
You have to leave two frames(or more) between the attack and the throw tech, if you blink it only the throw comes out. If you leave too many frames the throw will come out after the attack thanks to the generous buffer.

Here's Momochi showing off the new crouch tech stuff.

https://youtu.be/iwFg6belTVs?t=7m50s

Shit is wack. Hope they don't sit on that one for a year. Get rid of it ASAP.
I meant new as in new to SFV. Sorry for not being clear.
He's saying Nerd Josh found in E3 SFV build last year. It was one of the first thing I tried in the game, it's not going away any time soon. Also, it's not as good as it was in SFIV, in this game with crush counters, you're adding few more frames to get countered before the actual tech, against some characters, it's much safer to just do delayed throw tech.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think people that used UNIEL throw OS probably thought of doing the same input for SFV lol

The input window kind of messes me up though. Still pretty strict.

Sayad

You can OS V-Reversal/Throw tech.

the option selects keep rolling in whew
Chun can do it with a delayed EX SBK, it's really good against Bison. If he goes for a frame trap you're still blocking, if he goes for a throw you tech it and if he goes for HK Knee, dash teleport of some other v-trigger shenanigan EX SBK comes out.

Manbig

...Also, it's not as good as it was in SFIV, in this game with crush counters, you're adding few more frames to get countered before the actual tech, against some characters, it's much safer to just do delayed throw tech.

Not really about being able to punish it though. They have made no secret that they wanted this game to be more friendly to newer people, and having to learn how to beat option selects that give strong (at certain levels of play) automated defensive options is just adding more arbitrary hurdles for them.

I also don't really like the answer of just using crush counters to blow it up. I feel like the basic mechanics, at face value, give the game a great fast pace offensive flow with a great mixture of mind games. The only thing an option select like this does to the pace is make you use less throws and use more normals overall. I like throws being a very serious threat with a nice amount of risk/reward attached to them. For me, as of right now at least, I don't want anything messing with that flow.

Not really about being able to punish it though. They have made no secret that they wanted this game to be more friendly to newer people, and having to learn how to beat option selects that give strong (at certain levels of play) automated defensive options is just adding more arbitrary hurdles for them.

I also don't really like the answer of just using crush counters to blow it up. I feel like the basic mechanics, at face value, give the game a great fast pace offensive flow with a great mixture of mind games. The only thing an option select like this does to the pace is make you use less throws and use more normals overall. I like throws being a very serious threat with a nice amount of risk/reward attached to them. For me, as of right now at least, I don't want anything messing with that flow.

It's not like a crouch tech or throw tech OS automatically makes the game worse, and it seems like something like this might be difficult/impossible to remove because of the input buffers in this game. Option selects aren't inherently bad, if anything they introduce a second layer of mindgames. It's just that some of the ones in SF4 were specifically problematic, and even that game turned out mostly alright. It's too early to say how this option select specifically affects the game, imo.

Sayad

I'm not saying use crush counter to blow it, I'm saying how good counter hits in this game automatically make this tech not as good as it was in SFIV. You also wont be seeing it as much because it's kinda require precise timing:
- Your attack must come out after the throw land, otherwise you can't throw tech.
- Your throw tech must come out two frames after the attack but still within throw tech window

It's way harder than just delayed throw tech option select, has a smaller tech window and more susceptible to frame traps, it's a higher risk higher reward thing, not the answer to all.

It's not like a crouch tech or throw tech OS automatically makes the game worse, and it seems like something like this might be difficult/impossible to remove because of the input buffers in this game. Option selects aren't inherently bad, if anything they introduce a second layer of mindgames. It's just that some of the ones in SF4 were specifically problematic, and even that game turned out mostly alright. It's too early to say how this option select specifically affects the game, imo.

This is of course not a counter argument to what you quoted in any way what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom