• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

Balance seems great so far overall, even the top players are choosing a wide variety of characters when it comes to maining.

CO_Andy

Farms legit rage quit? NO, I refuse to believe it. It can't be true.
I can confirm it was Farms despite Max not keeping stream archives. Looked at Farm's CFN profile and yup, he's got 20+ wins and plays the same character that disconnected on Max's stream (Vega).

Incidentally he lost a match in his previous two sets, and since he disconnected a few seconds into his second match with Max, it may have been a legit disconnect.

Still suspicious.

K.Sabot

The way SFV's budget has always looked, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if SFV selling 500,000 copies would be considered a moderate success.

Edit: this is barring the marketing budget, which was probably handled by sony anyways.

Ryde3

I was wondering if anyone could help - I got a TES+ and a TE2+ that I am trying to configure to work on PC with either JoyToKey or x360ce, and I want to play Marvel vs Capcom 2 with them.

What's the best way to play MvsC2 on PC? It's not on the PSN is it?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What's the best way to play MvsC2 on PC? It's not on the PSN is it?

You'd have to emulate either the arcade version of the Dreamcast version.

I think it used to be on PSN but was pulled when Capcom lost the rights. I could be wrong about that though.

Ryde3

You'd have to emulate either the arcade version of the Dreamcast version.

I think it used to be on PSN but was pulled when Capcom lost the rights. I could be wrong about that though.

Thanks for the fast reply! Is there a typical consensus on which versions better? Which would be easier to map the arcade sticks to? Which would look better on a LCD tv? It's like the only fighting game I LOVE, I have the 360 version but these are PS3/PS4 sticks. sigh.

Line_HTX

After one week, what's the consensus among y'all on progressing in SFV? Good? Shit? Outsiders be damned because I want to learn my character?

Kumubou

The way SFV's budget has always looked, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if SFV selling 500,000 copies would be considered a moderate success.
If that was the case, then why did Capcom give investor guidance for 2m shipped copies by the end of the fiscal year?

They are two different things, though -- it's possible that they thought the game would sell 2m units but given the budget 500k would be profitable. I guess the question is then where the hell did Capcom get that 2m number from, as I can't see how they are going to get anywhere close to that outside of some insane channel stuffing.

Beckx

Thanks for the fast reply! Is there a typical consensus on which versions better? Which would be easier to map the arcade sticks to? Which would look better on a LCD tv? It's like the only fighting game I LOVE, I have the 360 version but these are PS3/PS4 sticks. sigh.

A PS3 to Xbox360 converter might also be an option. http://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-converter-various-configurations?variant=11824551233

Arcade emulators like FBAlpha allow for directinput devices (at least when they are run through Retroarch). I don't know whether NullDC does or not.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The DC port is pretty close to arcade perfect, so visually there wouldn't be much difference, nor would I think there would be any difference in regards to mapping your stick to either emulator.

Marz

Yea seems to be a lot of frauds like FindMyFarms in ranked right now. Im not sweating it too much though since i didnt play any of the betas im still learning how to fight all the characters.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If that was the case, then why did Capcom give investor guidance for 2m shipped copies by the end of the fiscal year?

They are two different things, though -- it's possible that they thought the game would sell 2m units but given the budget 500k would be profitable. I guess the question is then where the hell did Capcom get that 2m number from, as I can't see how they are going to get anywhere close to that outside of some insane channel stuffing.
I don't think 2 million is that unreasonable of an estimate or a final sales number, really. Plus, publishers frequently inflate their goals, that's nothing new, and is very human, really.

Hard to tell if it's going to underperform right now or not from the small/difficult-to-extrapolate information available. My gut tells me it's going to underperform but only marginally, but I don't see this as a game that's a bomba, nor a game that won't see success outside of the launch period due to a number of factors like people openly waiting for more content later, Season Pass characters being announced ahead of launch, etc.

GorillaJu

After one week, what's the consensus among y'all on progressing in SFV? Good? Shit? Outsiders be damned because I want to learn my character?

The only thing I can say is that it's awkward being put in a position where I'm 100% certain I'll win Evo if my main (Urien) comes out before the tournament, but I'm not confident Capcom will release him before then so I'm holding off on buying plane tickets/booking a hotel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only thing I can say is that it's awkward being put in a position where I'm 100% certain I'll win Evo if my main (Urien) comes out before the tournament, but I'm not confident Capcom will release him before then so I'm holding off on buying plane tickets/booking a hotel.
Do we have an idea of EVO's stance on SFV DLC characters yet? Where the cutoff will be in terms of characters/versions or at least how they intent to approach that?

Beckx

Do we have an idea of EVO's stance on SFV DLC characters yet? Where the cutoff will be in terms of characters/versions or at least how they intent to approach that?

Has Capcom said what their stance for the tour will be? I wonder if EVO will just follow that.

March, April, May for the first three? Yea, they'll be allowed

The others start in July, so I'm assuming after Evo making them a nonissue

pizzacat

Banned
Yea seems to be a lot of frauds like FindMyFarms in ranked right now. Im not sweating it too much though since i didnt play any of the betas im still learning how to fight all the characters.
If you really don't care about points head to casual match, filled with dudes too scared of losing their points and/or just trying out tech

Infinite

I don't think 2 million is that unreasonable of an estimate or a final sales number, really. Plus, publishers frequently inflate their goals, that's nothing new, and is very human, really.

Hard to tell if it's going to underperform right now or not from the small/difficult-to-extrapolate information available. My gut tells me it's going to underperform but only marginally, but I don't see this as a game that's a bomba, nor a game that won't see success outside of the launch period due to a number of factors like people openly waiting for more content later, Season Pass characters being announced ahead of launch, etc.

Now this big the question, why would capcom front load their sales goals in the first two weeks of the game's release? Aren't they also expecting it to pick up some steam once more characters and content comes out?

I don't post over here often, but I've had a lot of time to play this. Here's what I think:

S: Sim, Chun, Mika
A: Everyone else not listed below
B: Gief, Cammy, Laura

Yes, I think FANG is better than Cammy.

Kumubou

Here's the issue: that estimate wasn't for the lifetime of the game (which is can hit, and easily if Sony starts throwing it in PS4 bundles), but rather for sales at the end pf this fiscal year. That would be about six weeks. Even if they only sell through half of the shipment then they would still need to hit 1m worldwide, which they probably won't even come close to doing.

Now this big the question, why would capcom front load their sales goals in the first two weeks of the game's release? Aren't they also expecting it to pick up some steam once more characters and content comes out?
Because that's how big retail releases are typically sold.

I really think Capcom's inability to decide if this game is a traditional front-loaded retail game or a long-term Games As A Service project and their attempt to grab at both pies is what really fucked the game, at a fundamental level. if this was a free-to-play game that soft-launched in December with a beta that ramped up capacity as issues were cleared, none of this crap ever happens. Make it Free To Shoto and put up a $60 Pro Tour pack with the other 14 initial launch characters (plus some other goodies, maybe some outfits, fight money or zenny to let people pick up a couple other things) and I think at worst they would be in the same position they are now.

Anne

I agree with Kumu, had the same thought while reading threads today. Dunno why they went half assed on the esports front and no assed on the SP content. Both ended up disappointing to me, luckily I like the game enough to play it but it's still shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think part of it is to flex the strength of their IP. And TBH the sheer strength of that IP and several betas that have all been pretty well received (and connection issues considerably limited in subsequent betas) might just carry it to that 2 milli still. They're fighting bad word of mouth now, though, and that's never been more important in selling anything than it is today with social media.

That's why I really can't call how well it will do, but I would have never expected this to be a concern in the first place because of their Story Mode promises. It's a fight between some extremely bad word of mouth and brand strength.

Infinite

Here's the issue: that estimate wasn't for the lifetime of the game (which is can hit, and easily if Sony starts throwing it in PS4 bundles), but rather for sales at the end pf this fiscal year. That would be about six weeks. Even if they only sell through half of the shipment then they would still need to hit 1m worldwide, which they probably won't even come close to doing.

I really think Capcom's inability to decide if this game is a traditional front-loaded retail game or a long-term Games As A Service project and their attempt to grab at both pies is what really fucked the game, at a fundamental level. if this was a free-to-play game that soft-launched in December with a beta that ramped up capacity as issues were cleared, none of this crap ever happens. Make it Free To Shoto and put up a $60 Pro Tour pack with the other 14 initial launch characters (plus some other goodies, maybe some outfits, fight money or zenny to let people pick up a couple other things) and I think at worst they would be in the same position they are now.

No agree with thats kinda what Im getting at here. they wanted to have it both ways.

Kumubou

I agree with Kumu, had the same thought while reading threads today. Dunno why they went half assed on the esports front and no assed on the SP content. Both ended up disappointing to me, luckily I like the game enough to play it but it's still shit.
I suspect that a lot of the missing e-sports integration/structure is a combination of the development team not knowing better and not having the time to fully implement it. It's like they saw the functionality in something like LoL or CS:GO and decided to try to implement things like that (such as leagues, watching top players, tournament integration) but they didn't really understand what all that entailed. (Or they do and they just didn't have the budget and time to implement it at launch.) Thankfully that's the sort of the thing that can be addressed after launch (assuming that Capcom sticks around long enough to both attempt to do so and to get it right).

The messaging has been horrible, though. You have Ono and Ayano talking about how the casual market is important and then you give them precisely zip. Good job, good effort Capcom.

Anne

The online stuff needs a lot ;w;

Better menus (lol only being able to accept invites from the main menu)
Decent in game messenger?
MMing stuff I already talked about?

Like CFN atm feels like just a leaderboard. I'm going to go more with the side of they wanted these things but did a terrible job of implementing it (because who at Capcom would know these things). It's all super fixable though so I hope they see it through.

GorillaJu

That's really well put. The messaging was off. Those of us who just care about playing the game online and having a good training mode aren't put off by the mixed signals since we know what we want.

petghost

Banned
I don't post over here often, but I've had a lot of time to play this. Here's what I think:

S: Sim, Chun, Mika
A: Everyone else not listed below
B: Gief, Cammy, Laura

Yes, I think FANG is better than Cammy.

What's wrong with cammy??? I think she has a bunch of great tools maybe just not the tools people would expect. Like I don't think she is a mixup or gimmick character just a very strong footsie character. Her v skill is quite good too

Anne

Verdict's out on Cammy. She's got everything she needs to play and win, but I'm of the opinion she doesn't get to do things as well as the better characters. Lots of people with varying opinions on her.

I am just excited we will get urien and alex. Juri can jump in a hot DLC fire.

I wish I could Gief well. I am actually interested in almost every character except Fang and Chun.
Snake is so freaking good.

Numb

I am just excited we will get urien and alex. Juri can jump in a hot DLC fire.

I wish I could Gief well. I am actually interested in almost every character except Fang and Chun.
Snake is so freaking good.

Actually more hyped for Alex than i thought i would be
Unless they just don't go fresh with him

Infinite

Verdict's out on Cammy. She's got everything she needs to play and win, but I'm of the opinion she doesn't get to do things as well as the better characters. Lots of people with varying opinions on her.

This makes sense and explains why I like her lol I also played Yang in SSF4 and you can say the same thing about him. Jack of all trades master of none

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom