• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gives the game personality.

I like that they're all good in their own way, but down the line I think some will shine more than others.

Like how FANG/Vega's can be used to punish attacks that keep you in block stun for a long time vs characters that'll just straight up hit you out of that block stun and get a knockdown/back to neutral position.

GorillaJu

Takin notes on DaFeetLee's Laura. He's making her look a lot better than I ever do hahahaha

Anyone else feel vindicated about telling people to calm their tits over 1 frame links being removed now that it's apparent there is some high execution stuff like meaty-only combos, late cancel-only combos, just frames, etc? Watching videos from people like Max and other content creators who bemoaned the lack of execution barrier was infuriating because these guys just didn't give anyone time to figure out what's possible.

New game, same shit. "It's just too simple! We've already mastered it and it's only in beta!" Etc....

Tripon

12377963_10207255499959151_1474074632819974111_o.jpg

Cannes Winter Clash is this weekend. 3v3 SFV on Friday, Ultra on Saturday, SFV on Sunday.

Smash Wii U and Melee also alternate on days.

After one week, what's the consensus among y'all on progressing in SFV? Good? Shit? Outsiders be damned because I want to learn my character?
Still some glaring holes in my play style, but I made Ultra Silver and broke into the top 800 after some improvements in other areas. Not that LP really means anything. Some real close calls against better skilled players too thanks to decision-making, but it's frustrating that I then subsequently psyche myself out against more straight-forward players. Puts me on tilt when it really shouldn't.

Being in the middle of learning how to play with an arcade stick is going to be painful for a while when it means I can't reliably pull off instant-air Yoga Gales yet...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
12377963_10207255499959151_1474074632819974111_o.jpg

Cannes Winter Clash is this weekend. 3v3 SFV on Friday, Ultra on Saturday, SFV on Sunday.

Smash Wii U and Melee also alternate on days.

I'm gonna assume the Ultra in the middle was a typo on their part, unless they are out of their minds and plan to run all of 5 on one day.

Sayad

If that was the case, then why did Capcom give investor guidance for 2m shipped copies by the end of the fiscal year?

They are two different things, though -- it's possible that they thought the game would sell 2m units but given the budget 500k would be profitable. I guess the question is then where the hell did Capcom get that 2m number from, as I can't see how they are going to get anywhere close to that outside of some insane channel stuffing.
The 2m figure was given a long time ago at the start of the fiscal year, at the time they obviously didn't know about the state the game will ship in. If you check the gaf thread, most people thought it was a tame forecast for SFV. At the time it was SFV with the best features for the competitive scene Capcom have ever done, a real story mode for casuals and a system easy to pick up for new comers.

Sorry about all the questions about learning stick. :/ I've got a question I'd like to ask.

When using stick am I supposed to hit the edges of the gate for guidance or outside of the gate. I don't ride the gate. I'm very delicate. But I'm not sure I'm supposed to hit the gate to learn where my stop points are.

Also any tips with dashing? Trying to dash like Gootecks. It's hard though.

After one week, what's the consensus among y'all on progressing in SFV? Good? Shit? Outsiders be damned because I want to learn my character?

Decent? I honestly haven't played online yet since buying the game.

I've gotten maybe ten hours in of playing with live opponents in casuals, and I'm doing okay. I'm losing hard to rushdown, and my footsies need work, but most of my matches are pretty close. So, I'm doing decently despite not putting in serious practice time.

With MKX Season 2 and KI Season 3 coming out, I don't know how much of my fighting game time will be spent on SFV.

Shun

Sorry about all the questions about learning stick. :/ I've got a question I'd like to ask.

Tekken is the best game to learn how to play stick and learn movement. It makes you break bad habits you make with certain inputs.

It's a square gate, you shouldn't have to ride or rely on the gate for guidance and where to move.

It's really as simple as a flick of your wrist/palm, finger, or thumb in the direction you want to go.

If you want to do a 623 on the 1P side, you would use your palm to move forward, (5/Neutral if you want), then your fingers down, then fingers down-forward.

P2 side, it's thumb back, finger down, then finger towards your palm for down back.

For 236, it's the same deal, you get your fingers to bring the ball/stick down, then your palm to 3 then 6.

The only issue may be 360 inputs where you need to learn the proper timing to buffer the input so you don't jump on accident. I still have issues with Bullet and her 720 input because I do not really play grappling characters at all. I'm still practicing getting her Distortion working for combos.

Wallach

I generally use the gate. I think if you don't you may not consistently get your diagonals (particularly on a square gate), which is whatever for circle motions but is important for DP motions.

As far as dashing, I think it depends on how you hold the stick. Mainly you just want to avoid trying to dash through arm movement when it comes to fast dash inputs. Going left you want to be mainly using your thumb with most grips, and going right it mostly seems like your index and middle finger (or maybe the part of your palm near the base of your fingers depending on your hand size).

Tekken is the best game to learn how to play stick and learn movement. It makes you break bad habits you make with certain inputs.

It's a square gate, you shouldn't have to ride or rely on the gate for guidance and where to move.

It's really as simple as a flick of your wrist/palm, finger, or thumb in the direction you want to go.

If you want to do a 623 on the 1P side, you would use your palm to move forward, (5/Neutral if you want), then your fingers down, then fingers down-forward.

P2 side, it's thumb back, finger down, then finger towards your palm for down back.

For 236, it's the same deal, you get your fingers to bring the ball/stick down, then your palm to 3 then 6.

The only issue may be 360 inputs where you need to learn the proper timing to buffer the input so you don't jump on accident. I still have issues with Bullet and her 720 input because I do not really play grappling characters at all. I'm still practicing getting her Distortion working for combos.

I could practice on Tekken Tag 2 on my PS3 but my copy was stolen when I was robbed a year ago. Is it worth getting cheap just to master stick? I would think GG is the pretty good no?

Shun

I could practice on Tekken Tag 2 on my PS3 but my copy was stolen when I was robbed a year ago. Is it worth getting cheap just to master stick?

Other than being a good and fun game yes.

I mean you can master stick on other games too, I just think Tekken is better at it because you need to learn how to movement in a number of different ways and you can learn most inputs with Tekken. It might not be applicable to other games you play but it sure will make you comfortable with playing on a stick layout.

You can learn stick and learn movement with any game, Tekken just catches you trying to bullshit and you just learn stick better in my opinion.

Other than being a good and fun game yes.

I mean you can master stick on other games too, I just think Tekken is better at it because you need to learn how to movement in a number of different ways and you can learn most inputs with Tekken. It might not be applicable to other games you play but it sure will make you comfortable with playing on a stick layout.

You can learn stick and learn movement with any game, Tekken just catches you trying to bullshit and you just learn stick better in my opinion.

I'm going to record audio of me playing my stick. Gootecks says that if they can hear you on the stick on the mic you're doing it wrong. I need constructive criticism since you guys are more aware of how good stick play sounds. Keep in mind this is a Hayabusa.

I think GG and BB are the best games for really feeling a stick

I'm doing GG Millia challenges now!

vocab

I'm going to record audio of me playing my stick. Gootecks says that if they can hear you on the stick on the mic you're doing it wrong.!

Sticks are very loud in general. Watch valle or floe play. All you here is stick movements and buttons. Gootecks is probably referring to moving the stick erratically or big movements in general. You should hear buttons over stick movements most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom