• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

What the fuck is with people on Twitter talking about Marvel 4 about? Are there any CREDIBLE reasons why there would be something there???

Marvel 3 is coming to VR

you heard it here first

How would you teleport though? :p

giphy.gif

''BREAKING NEWS: NWS can have that seat. Back to you Benny''

No lie, I would like to listen to Max do a fighting game news roundup in a newsman voice, haha

Neoxon

Their new direction aka doubling down on smartphone titles and making one Spiderman game. I'm sure this is bound to be epic news and not a rehash of the same trailer and info from E3
They're also making a new MOBA game for the PC called Marvel End Time Arena.
And for those who care, the X-Men & Fantastic Four characters are completely absent from this game (so far).

Either way, Marvel Games did specify back during the Spider-Man hype that said Spidey game would be the first of many for consoles. There's also the Telltales' new Marvel game (which some are saying is for Guardians of the Galaxy) that they could talk about at the Marvel Games panel.

kirblar

What the fuck is with people on Twitter talking about Marvel 4 about? Are there any CREDIBLE reasons why there would be something there???
No, the timings wrong for it. Capcom recently updated the CPT description in a "we're beginning prep to expand to multiple titles" move, which suggests something's in the works. But the announcement to hope for isn't MvC4, it's for a UMvC3 port.

Neoxon

It's being a realist, not being a cynic.
Fair enough, though Marvel seemed pretty serious about getting back into the console market. Plus Disney is opening up their licenses like they used to in the 90's (Star Wars aside, which EA has on lock-down) after their in-house console studio went under.

Fair enough, though Marvel seemed pretty serious about getting back into the console market. Plus Disney is opening up their licenses like they used to in the 90's (Star Wars aside, which EA has on lock-down) after their in-house console studio went under.

Yes, we all know Marvel's PR statements regarding games.

kirblar

PS4 Spiderman is slated for Holiday 2017 - a hypothetical MvC4 (PS4/PC) wouldn't show up until 2018 at the earliest.

Neoxon

PS4 Spider-Man is slated for Holiday 2017 - a hypothetical MvC4 (PS4/PC) wouldn't show up until 2018 at the earliest.
That would mean that Capcom is working on MvC4 right now. The way Marvel worded their statement about the future of MvC would indicate otherwise.

Kumubou

No, the timings wrong for it. Capcom recently updated the CPT description in a "we're beginning prep to expand to multiple titles" move, which suggests something's in the works. But the announcement to hope for isn't MvC4, it's for a UMvC3 port.
The real issue with a Marvel-licensed AAA fighter is that I don't think there's a single developer in existence other than NRS that has both the capacity and skill to make such a game (and they're owned by WB so that's out). Most developers with the experience/staff to do such a game well are way too small to make anything that would be rich and polished enough to move the needle. (And Capcom right now has neither the staff or the resources, as SF5 has illustrated.)

Neoxon

The real issue with a Marvel-licensed AAA fighter is that I don't think there's a single developer in existence other than NRS that has both the capacity and skill to make such a game (and they're owned by WB so that's out). Most developers with the experience/staff to do such a game well are way too small to make anything that would be rich and polished enough to move the needle. (And Capcom right now has neither the staff or the resources, as SF5 has illustrated.)
I mean, Capcom still has the staff to make a great fighting game (SFV turned out just fine from a gameplay perspective). It's just that a good chunk of the problems (but not all of them) stemmed from them rushing the game out for the Capcom Pro Tour & the end of their fiscal year.

Either way, you're only gonna set yourself up for disappointment if you're hoping for any MvC news to get announced this weekend. That's not to say that MvC4 or a port of UMvC3 won't happen ever, but it's too soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wouldn't expect MvC4 tomorrow, even with Max' announcement. UMvC3 port to include in CPT is way more likely than that, which I think is doable on Capcom's end because ports are almost always outsourced, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Am more interested to see if they do something in the smaller/indie games space, given that I don't expect them to have tons of console games in development and they're not all going to release around the same time.

I wouldn't say a balance patch is out of question either. It can be half assed and do it's job of revitalizing the game.

Onemic

Marvel 4 isnt happening until Capcom gets the license and if that happens you'll here about it way before an actual game announcement. This is like thinking 2K will suddenly create another NFL 2K game.

Kumubou

I mean, Capcom still has the staff to make a great fighting game (SFV turned out just fine from a gameplay perspective). It's just that a good chunk of the problems (but not all of them) stemmed from them rushing the game out for the Capcom Pro Tour & the end of their fiscal year.
You don't need a massive staff to create a fun fighting game -- boutique developers like French Bread and Examu manage it on small budgets on a fairly regular basis. However, that is not nearly enough to create an AAAAAAAAA experience the market demands from such a release, and it's that kind of production and polish that is completely missing from SF5

Neoxon

Marvel 4 isnt happening until Capcom gets the license and if that happens you'll here about it way before an actual game announcement. This is like thinking 2K will suddenly create another NFL 2K game.
You mean via leaks? Otherwise, we probably won't hear about Capcom renewing their Marvel license. Maybe a UMvC3 port could happen, which may be seen as a sign of MvC4 happening, but I'm not sure what else (besides a leak) could tip us off.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I mean people thought Ono's picture of Tiger beer was some kind of hint that Sagat was coming to SFV, so I can't be shocked that some of the thunder dunces in the FGC would interpret Ono watching Marvel 3 at Evo as some kind of sign.

Numb

How would you teleport though? :p

No lie, I would like to listen to Max do a fighting game news roundup in a newsman voice, haha
Same
Dude does way too much already tho

Why not holding breath
Still hoping to be surprised

Kumubou

People need to expect nothing and be prepared to be disappointed anyway.

It is funny watching people on Twitter foam at the mouth over nothing, though.

kirblar

That would mean that Capcom is working on MvC4 right now. The way Marvel worded their statement about the future of MvC would indicate otherwise.
No, I mean, if they were starting active development today, it'd still be two years+ out because it needs to fit in Marvel's overall schedule.

If you were planning to do it though, being in a planning/budgeting phase right now is exactly where you'd be at.
I mean people thought Ono's picture of Tiger beer was some kind of hint that Sagat was coming to SFV, so I can't be shocked that some of the thunder dunces in the FGC would interpret Ono watching Marvel 3 at Evo as some kind of sign.
"HOW ABOUT BIRDIE?"

Neoxon

No, I mean, if they were starting active development today, it'd still be two years+ out because it needs to fit in Marvel's overall schedule.

If you were planning to do it though, being in a planning/budgeting phase right now is exactly where you'd be at.
But the thing is, we have zero reason to believe that they're anywhere further than early talks for MvC4 (which is wishful thinking in of itself).

I wasn't saying anything was coming just stating what I saw during pools.
Fair enough, but it could be just Ono enjoying the show.

They were already there and purposely didn't enter just to commentate for pools.

Oh I didn't saw them. :(

Is that how an EVO commentator actually makes? I listened to ATP and Aris said he was paid very little that it was like working for free. But he didn't care because he did it for the prestige. Does EVO make so little that most of their staff are volunteers working for free and commentators making very little? Honest question, I don't mean that as an attack.

I think it's James/WorstGiefEver and Logan mentioned this on twitter? Can't find the tweets.

notworksafe

Real talk, UMVC3 port would not be surprising cause that could be outsourced to any dumb studio for cheap and sold for $40 while Capcom/Marvel are showered with praise. Anything beyond that is where my belief can't reach.

kirblar

But the thing is, we have zero reason to believe that they're anywhere further than early talks for MvC4 (which is wishful thinking in of itself).
No, but we have plenty of obvious reasons to see that if even if they were, they wouldn't be talking about it now.

Aka, there's 0 chance of an announcement, even if they ARE working on it. All the tea leaves we have would only point to a port.

Neoxon

No, but we have plenty of obvious reasons to see that if even if they were, they wouldn't be talking about it now.

Aka, there's 0 chance of an announcement, even if they ARE working on it. All the tea leaves we have would only point to a port.
Sure, but they'd be playing coy if they actually were working on something. Marvel's comments just sounded like "We're not working on anything right now, but we hear your requests".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom