• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I've missed so much fuckery not keeping up with things here it seems. Smash community is really making it hard to not have a consistent =/ face on between this top player dodging bullshit and the Hyuga shit.

wow, smash community just

WarmheartedRealBat.gif

NEO0MJ

God damn it, Smash community. Guess they really want to hold on to their terrible image.

In other news I'm digging Eyedol in KI so much. Character feels like he was made for me. Felt excited enough to try and gif something.

28558549766_34151c7ffe_o.gif

Instant gif feels terrible for screen captures. Not smooth at all and the gif comes out of frame. Didn't bother to retry or do one for mage stance ( ._.)

Horseress

- someone creates a FGC related thread about some shit someone did
- someone posts something really weird and gets heated on
- someone posts something disturbing and gets banned

just another day at neogaf

CO_Andy

The Smash community really does live in their own lil' world.

Every other fighting game community has no trouble getting along, but these days it's just Smash and only Smash that paints a bad picture on the community at large.

NEO0MJ

Every other fighting game community has no trouble getting along, but these days it's just Smash and only Smash that paints a bad picture on the community at large.

Other fighting game communities barely exist.

Chris Ceglia said that the ESPN thing was something Mr.Wizard put together, not Sony. Good shit EVO.

Not that this might mean that Capcom Cup doesn't necessarily have anything in the works with ESPN.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It only takes one person to split up a community. EU community is garbage for even saying something as stupid as that. We won EVO so hold it EU.

- someone creates a FGC related thread about some shit someone did
- someone posts something really weird and gets heated on
- someone posts something disturbing and gets banned

just another day at neogaf

we cleaning house here on gaf. we should just be the mods instead

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's definitely not just the Smash community, and it's definitely something the FGC(s) never takes a hard enough stance on.

Noel is the perfect case. He has long set the precedent of putting "aw, I know the guy, he's such a good guy to me, let's give him a slap on the wrist" before the reputation/integrity of the community.

I know he's a community darling to some, but Aris is a massive part of that. The shitty comments and even shittier clarifications he made have doomed the community in most people's eyes and people in general don't care enough to learn about what surrounds the dumpster fire, just enough to know there is one and to stay away from it,

Imagine if you read this about some other community:

Rea: Can I get my Street Fighter without sexual harassment?

Bakhtanians: You can’t. You can’t because they’re one and the same thing. This is a community that’s, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community--it’s StarCraft. There’s nothing wrong with StarCraft if you enjoy it, and there’s nothing wrong with anything about eSports, but why would you want just one flavor of ice cream, you know? There’s eSports for people who like eSports, and there’s fighting games for people who like spicy food and like to have fun. There’s no reason to turn them into the same thing, you know?

Rea: When I go to SoCal regionals and I see a Phoenix [from Marvel vs. Capcom 3] on main stage getting blown up and there’s some dude in the audience just yelling “Bitch! Bitch!” every time she gets hit and then she killed and goes “Yeah, rape that bitch!” Yeah, that’s totally acceptable! Really? Really? You’re going to tell me that’s acceptable?

Bakhtanians: Look, man. What is unacceptable about that? There’s nothing unacceptable about that. These are people, we’re in America, man, this isn’t North Korea. We can say what we want. People get emotional.

I wouldn't expect a sudden desire for context or investigation about the rest of the community.

notworksafe

I think the Noel Brown thing was handled well and shows how the FGC has grown as far as dealing with these issues. You can talk about Aris and post comments he made four years ago but I imagine 2016 Aris would have different responses than 2012 Aris.

The community has really changed in many ways in the past four years, in most ways for the better.

I do miss arcade culture. The general sense of competition from the average player is waning.

SF25 was probably the point when I noticed people weren't doing side bets anymore, that it's legitimately a spectator sport. Before that you could expect 90+% of the people in the room to care on some level about competing.

We used to walk around in circles at EVO insulting top players until we had a hotel room with money matches set up. I don't see that sort of attitude anymore. The Clockwork vs Neo attitude.

CO_Andy

Seems like Aris really loves his female derogatory insults. I never noticed it before but he does yell out "bitch" a lot on his stream.

Then again, I have spent a disproportionate amount of time in the past at tournaments with FChamp and Fanatiq, so my memory of the scene might be biased.

Dahbomb

People used to go ham on the insults whenever Phoenix showed up or got killed. It's very rare to see a community so actively hate on a character like that. That sentiment still holds to some extent in today's age, people can't help but get hyped when Phoenix gets clapped.

mbpm1

high profile money matches this past year was krone vs champ and champ vs kbr. Idk if anything like clock vs neo is gonna happen for a while. That mm closed the mvc2 chapter of the fgc

The Ghost of Marvel 2 tried to bring it back when he got on stage with Chris G

Horseress

It's definitely not just the Smash community, and it's definitely something the FGC(s) never takes a hard enough stance on.

Noel is the perfect case. He has long set the precedent of putting "aw, I know the guy, he's such a good guy to me, let's give him a slap on the wrist" before the reputation/integrity of the community.

I know he's a community darling to some, but Aris is a massive part of that. The shitty comments and even shittier clarifications he made have doomed the community in most people's eyes and people in general don't care enough to learn about what surrounds the dumpster fire, just enough to know there is one and to stay away from it,

Imagine if you read this about some other community

Aris has definitely grown up from that terrible interview. I think hanging out with people like MarkMan and watching the community grow and realizing how him alone almost fucked everything up for everyone helped him change his behavior and shitty ways.

Seems like Aris really loves his female derogatory insults. I never noticed it before but he does yell out "bitch" a lot on his stream.

You can use "bitch" to insult anyone, being male or female, tbf

Dahbomb

Nemo was one of the best things to happen to Marvel 3 when he went ham with the money matches.

I miss some high stakes MM. It's sad that the only high stakes MM we have to look forward to is the Yipes vs Mike Ross FT100 in Marvel 2 where Mike Ross has to win like 8 games. Not actually high stakes unless you are talking about Mike's ego.

ShinMaruku

I think if you need these outside things to bring a game to relevancy, it's time to leave it. But that's just my view.
Let mahvel go it's time is done, there are so many other games to try.
tumblr_maymk1pYFg1r1am60.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom