• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

I'd believe it. Why would retailers want more copies of a game that didn't sell well on the first round?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there's still loads of SFV retail copies in physical stores. Capcom needs to create demand by offering content that people want. The game as a consumer product is not where it should be.

This is all of the result of releasing the game too early.

----

On a unrelated note, what causes people to try to catfish FGC people? There's no money in it. We're all broke assholes.
CoEuUuwXEAAWddm.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Just look at the Steamspy numbers. Even with all the DLC characters, all the updates, the story mode and several sales, the game has barely moved a couple of thousand copies in the last few months.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
On a unrelated note, what causes people to try to catfish FGC people? There's no money in it. We're all broke assholes.

It's common on the internet, I wouldn't be shocked if there was a small handful on gaf

Some people want attention, to manipulate others to feel smart, or get free stuff from desperate dudes

Kumubou

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there's still loads of SFV retail copies in physical stores. Capcom needs to create demand by offering content that people want. The game as a consumer product is not where it should be.

Is there any instance of a retail game flopping at launch at recovering? The only examples I can think of were games that had poor marketing/reception at launch but kept interest due to ridiculously good word of mouth... and it's pretty clear SF5 does not have that benefit, at all.

The window for mindshare from the buying public has come and gone. The only way that stock is clearing out is by hitting the bomba bins. While I think the focus on the core audience was a mistake a launch, it makes sense for Capcom to try to market and grow that core player base now because those are he only people that are going to care.

notworksafe

Closest example I can think of is Destiny, but even that sold well at launch. Then people complained and stopped playing, then all came back with each expansion to buy more.

So actually that's not similar at all.

Just look at the Steamspy numbers. Even with all the DLC characters, all the updates, the story mode and several sales, the game has barely moved a couple of thousand copies in the last few months.

according to steamspy, Dragon's Dogma (a port of a last-gen Capcom game) which was released around the same time is beating SF5's ass.

Tripon

Is there any instance of a retail game flopping at launch at recovering? The only examples I can think of were games that had poor marketing/reception at launch but kept interest due to ridiculously good word of mouth... and it's pretty clear SF5 does not have that benefit, at all.

The window for mindshare from the buying public has come and gone. The only way that stock is clearing out is by hitting the bomba bins. While I think the focus on the core audience was a mistake a launch, it makes sense for Capcom to try to market and grow that core player base now because those are he only people that are going to care.

Final Fantasy XIV is the only one that immediately comes to mind, and that was years of intense messaging that Square-Enix realizes the mistakes they made, they will make it work, and didn't charge monthly fees for the base game until they relaunch it about 18 months later as A Realm Reborn.

Which is part of the reason why I think there will be a "Super" version or whatever they call it. Fuck promises made, if you need to relaunch a game to save it, do it. SFV as a consumer product already has a reputation of not meeting expectations, acknowledge it and move on if your goal is to keep supporting the franchise for years. If this is a single retail product, then you cut your losses and move on to the next thing.

JeTmAn81

----

Technology will save us

https://github.com/mlpoll/machinematch/issues/1
Anonymous text series in (such as a Reddit or Amazon (review) account), authors real name out.

MachineMatch utilizes deep learning techniques to analyze blog posts, articles, papers and comments where the identity is known.

The same analysis is used on anonymous posts, such as Reddit comments, (fake) Amazon reviews and anonymous blog posts.

The resulting text analysis is then used to identify who wrote the anonymous post. The principle is similar to that of identifying plagiarism, but with more advanced deep learning techniques.

Final Fantasy XIV is the only one that immediately comes to mind, and that was years of intense messaging that Square-Enix realizes the mistakes they made, they will make it work, and didn't charge monthly fees for the base game until they relaunch it about 18 months later as A Realm Reborn.

Which is part of the reason why I think there will be a "Super" version or whatever they call it. Fuck promises made, if you need to relaunch a game to save it, do it. SFV as a consumer product already has a reputation of not meeting expectations, acknowledge it and move on if your goal is to keep supporting the franchise for years. If this is a single retail product, then you cut your losses and move on to the next thing.
I'm sure there's going to be a Super version down the line that's the base game + season 1 dlc + whatever other goodies capcom wants to include

I'm not as sure it's a good idea to do so considering prior messaging, what Super Street Fighter has traditionally meant, and that Capcom still doesn't seem like they have their shit together in terms of making an appealing game for the causal audience.

Might be a better idea to start bundling some/all season 1 characters/costumes with all new SFV copies sold, which would let them use existing stock of the game, and save a Super version for late 2017/2018.

Capcom, just drop the season 2 bomb.

Q, Ingrid, Akuma

Shit is over. You get the meme character, the waifu character, and the edgy/fan favorite character.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any players from the 90s, early 00s that haven't done or said embarrassing stupid stuff. Myself included.

Just know that in 10 years from now the language you use now will be seen as offensive.

Like the 40-year old virgin came as recently as 2005 and its full of jokes that wouldn't be cool today. "you know how I know you're gay..."

Line_HTX

Closest example I can think of is Destiny, but even that sold well at launch. Then people complained and stopped playing, then all came back with each expansion to buy more.

I kept hearing that Destiny consistently got bad press, and yet it kept flying off the shelves in record numbers. I didn't understand it.

Pompadour

Destiny's marketing budget likely exceeded everything spent on SFV, including the CPT, combined.

Topanga have updated the team list. There are about 112 (about 600 players) teams signed up thus far, excluding the main 4 or so teams composed of the various members from topanga and kachitagari. I won't list all of them, but here's a sample.

1. Tachikawa Fighting Gamers (daigo manga) - Tachikawa (jpn tomo ohira like legend), Muteki Guile, Kurahashi, Andou, Sasori
2. Tachikawa, Nauman, John Takeuchi, Zunpoi, Otani
3. Crusher, Anton, Marko, Taro, Gunfight
4. Vanao, Kokujin, Atsushi, Match (macchi), Saru
5. Nuki, Cojiro, Major Boy ibuki, Kentaro gief, Daichan
6. Korea - Verloren, Xyzzy, MurderK, Saulabis, BigDanmul
7. Ebi, Poongko, Nia, Uriajjo gief, Youshikibi
8. Gods Garden - KSK, Kazunoko, Itazan, Souji, Ren
9. Death Gods Garden - Machabo, Pekosu, Ohsu Akira, Hirota, Kamizono
10. Osayu, Inoue, Itsuki, Reiketsu, Aqua
11. Inco, Kyabetsu, Kyoku, Nishikin, Shiro

Kumubou

Capcom needs that ActiBlizzard money
SF5 had a Super Bowl ad -- it's not like they made or marketed the game on an indie game's budget.
Neoxon thinks otherwise.
Gee, I wonder who I would go with -- the service that has been proven to be accurate for what it is (within a reasonable margin of error) multiple times or someone who loves acting like an insider who keeps sourcing himself for his speculation?

Rhapsody

Banned
Some people seem to think there is at least one more character to be revealed for BBCF since there's a missing space in the upper right corner (Es fills the upper left spot).
For sure another character. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another one on top of that tbh.

My bet's on Mai for one of them.
Is "Attention!" the new overhead marker? No more red exclamation marks?
Attention means Active Flow is about to activate soon for the character.

notworksafe

Gee, I wonder who I would go with -- the service that has been proven to be accurate for what it is (within a reasonable margin of error) multiple times or someone who loves acting like an insider who keeps sourcing himself for his speculation?

P A T T E R N B O I Z

man all the new bbcf characters sprites and animations are a mile ahead of the rest

The new GG characters too. Arc really upped their animation department in the last year, this is really incredible.

I'm sure there's going to be a Super version down the line that's the base game + season 1 dlc + whatever other goodies capcom wants to include

I'm not as sure it's a good idea to do so considering prior messaging, what Super Street Fighter has traditionally meant, and that Capcom still doesn't seem like they have their shit together in terms of making an appealing game for the causal audience.

Might be a better idea to start bundling some/all season 1 characters/costumes with all new SFV copies sold, which would let them use existing stock of the game, and save a Super version for late 2017/2018.

That's the best way to do it. Or do another disc containing everything and sub it Season 1 complete. Final Fantasy XIV had a disastrous launch and is now fine but they did what needed to be done, aka revamp the whole game and experience.

Well--
It's common on the internet, I wouldn't be shocked if there was a small handful on gaf

Some people want attention, to manipulate others to feel smart, or get free stuff from desperate dudes
Yeah, basically
I kept hearing that Destiny consistently got bad press, and yet it kept flying off the shelves in record numbers. I didn't understand it.

It got bad press with nerds. Everyone else didn't care.

Tripon

SF5 had a Super Bowl ad -- it's not like they made or marketed the game on an indie game's budget.

Wonder if the marketing budget was larger than the development budget due to Sony's influence.

Kumubou

the future of the FGC will be nothing but Nintendo and NRS fighting games
You're severely underselling Riot's fighting game unless you think Tencent makes them shitcan that game for only making hundreds of millions of dollars instead of billions.

Besides, you could probably still join the Evo Senior's Tour and play ST or enter the Melty Blood tournament being run in the parking lot.

Tripon

You're severely underselling Riot's fighting game unless you think Tencent makes them shitcan that game for only making hundreds of millions of dollars instead of billions.

Besides, you could probably still join the Evo Senior's Tour and play ST or enter the Melty Blood tournament being run in the parking lot.

Wouldn't Melty Blood be Mini Golf in that analogy?

I'm sure SF6 will be a massive hit that will bring in a new generation of fighting game players into the community in 2026. In the mean time we can sustain ourselves with nostalgia and marvel money matches like we did the last time around.

I'm sure SF6 will be a massive hit that will bring in a new generation of fighting game players into the community in 2026. In the mean time we can sustain ourselves with nostalgia and marvel money matches like we did the last time around.
odd-numbered SFs confirmed cursed, Capcom skipping SF7 and going straight to 8

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

no, play anime and 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom