• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

Those kind of # mean nothing.

But that many people could have seen the Tekken commercials.

Kappa.png

Line_HTX

Looks like I finally got the media's attention about Central Fiction's dub. 'TheGG' made an article about it.

Let's see if they respond now.

Haha, wow. A banned site, really? It figures. Wonder why.

Well, it should start a snowball effect at least.

Hopefully it'll get ASW to not skimp out like cowards with no English audio.

You mean shit independent from the VGBC channel getting bodied for trusting someone else with it? What's the deal?

he's talking about the stupid tweet GimR made in response to the equally stupid editorial.

Seems like Neoxon really wants us to talk about the drama

Nightii

Banned
wait this is news to me

I was grinding training mode then took a nap and saw the other shit like wut
Yeah, dude wanted to please the people asking him to do instant uploads, but since he couldn't do it, he let a friend of a TO that "knew about that stuff" do it.

Now all of his videos have the same title, and the search engines will fuck him over even if they rename it all back, costing the channel revenue.

he's talking about the stupid tweet GimR made in response to the equally stupid editorial.

Can't let the "main FGC" outdo them in saying dumb shit, I guess?

Neoxon

I was just providing context to someone's post on the thread. I didn't want someone else to be in the situation I was in when you all were talking about tweets that I wasn't able to track down.

Rhapsody

Banned
I like the JP voice cast much more for BB, but I think it really sucks for the BB dub fans. GG is sort of whatever to cut it on the second game, but BB's on its last game that concludes Ragna's story. To have people that enjoyed dub only for a few years and be gone for the last one kinda sucks.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I mean if the leader of the Smash community says something. I'm all for Smash being out of EVO completely and giving more spotlight to other games. Both communities do not need each other and this is going to be an ongoing battle of egos.

Kalamari

As entitled as the Smashers sound, I think it's only a matter of time before they leave on their own accord, even if TOs bend over backward for them.

As entitled as the Smashers sound, I think it's only a matter of time before they leave on their own accord, even if TOs bend over backward for them.

It's not like the Smash community has never had their own tournaments. I think even one of the Smash commentators kept confusing EVO for Genesis during the Melee top 8. He would say things like "This match for top 8 here at Genesis 2016!" to which his partner would quickly correct him saying "It's EVO 2016."

I don't really have any big investment into whether or not the Smash community continues to be a bigger part of the current "FGC", as it were, but it's seemingly inevitable that they may try to break ties. Though again...I don't know if this is *just* the Smash 4 community or the entirety of the Smash community, including Melee.

MrDaravon

It's not like the Smash community has never had their own tournaments. I think even one of the Smash commentators kept confusing EVO for Genesis during the Melee top 8. He would say things like "This match for top 8 here at Genesis 2016!" to which his partner would quickly correct him saying "It's EVO 2016."

I don't really have any big investment into whether or not the Smash community continues to be a bigger part of the current "FGC", as it were, but it's seemingly inevitable that they may try to break ties. Though again...I don't know if this is *just* the Smash 4 community or the entirety of the Smash community, including Melee.

I don't follow things super closely unless there's some big drama/blowup, but it seems to be more and more Smash 4 people whining than Melee; not sure if they have inferiority issues because of Melee like I see suggested by some folks or what, I only watch Melee/Smash 4 super casually at best.

In any case I'm increasingly more and more in favor of a formal split; Smash most definitely doesn't "need" traditional FG tournaments and have been running their own majors for years and years now on their own. And any legitimate criticisms they have about some things like how it ran at Evo under time/space constraints and getting Saturday finals despite having the 2nd most entrants etc are completely drowned out by a lot of their top players and prominent community members being total shitlords, making unrealistic demands (the amount of people I see demanding 3/5 for the entire tournament and every match in top 32/64 being streamed at Evo is beyond fucking dumb) and external drama (see Hyuga situation etc).

I feel bad because I personally know people who play Smash 4 on a regular basis at tournaments and I'm sure the overwhelming majority of their community is totally fine. But at this point I'm just tired of hearing about their constant whining and drama, and if they're going to keep insisting on not going to Evo and/or splitting off from the rest of the FGC scene then just fucking do it.

The smash tournament this weekend had 370+ smash entrants, 12 for SFV, and 6 for Marvel according to the brackets. Definitely crossover in the communities.

Honestly if TO's will just say it's about the money that would be the best thing to do instead of just having this excuse of growing the scene when significant elements of both scenes are at each others' throats. Doesn't seem like there are actual in person blowups at tournaments though, mostly sniping from far away on twitter.

CurlyW

Attempting to run a 2,500-man tournament in a total of 20 hours is pretty damn inconsiderate to the people attending for that specific tournament. I guarantee that a good portion of the Smash 4 community would've been significantly happier had Smash 4 Top 8 been Saturday night instead of Saturday at 12noon or whenever it was.

Also remember it was the Melee community that was significantly more mad after CEO (when Melee had Saturday finals), not the Smash 4 community (who had Sunday finals there). Though Melee's complaints were more about Jebailey announcing his intention to run 2 out of 3 until finals for both games at CEO 2017.

Attempting to run a 2,500-man tournament in a total of 20 hours is pretty damn inconsiderate to the people attending for that specific tournament. I guarantee that a good portion of the Smash 4 community would've been significantly happier had Smash 4 Top 8 been Saturday night instead of Saturday at 12noon or whenever it was.

In Ponder's attempt to reach out for feedback from the Smash 4 community, he never mentioned the timeslot.

2 years in a row. 12 pm on saturday.

Expect it to happen again next year.

Line_HTX

Everyone knows what happened at CEO with what the Melee crowd was doing to Xrd Revelator.

I want to know did anything happen with Smash 4 since its Top 8 was after Tekken 7? I'm pretty sure Tekken 7 ended earlier than expected and I only saw one idiot on Twitter complaining that there was too much time at the end delaying the start of Smash 4.

Slaythe

Not me, what happened?

Impatient entitled brats happened.

Being disrespectful and shitting on everybody in chat for 2 hours. Because KI and MKX ran late or something, so GG started extremely late and it delayed melee.

Commentators had to start ignoring them, mods had to turn on sub mod and whatnot.

A shit show.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Being disrespectful and shitting on everybody in chat for 2 hours. Because KI and MKX ran late or something, so GG started extremely late and it delayed melee.

Commentators had to start ignoring them, mods had to turn on sub mod and whatnot.

A shit show.

No, the crowd. As in actual humans that attended the event.

Rhapsody

Banned
Not me, what happened?

Apparently the person on stage tried to hype up the crowd a little too early supposedly by asking who's ready for some Melee, so we had Melee chants going on in the venue during Guilty Gear's award ceremony was just going on. At the very least, the part about the Melee chants is true, not sure about the beginning part. Regardless, not a good thing to do.
Oh, then from what I recall the crowd was booing Guilty Gear and chanting over Melee, something like that ?

The whole community, live and online was fucking shit from what I remember.

I don't think there was any booing according to Guilty Gear players. Just people being unhappy about the Melee chants during awards.

miku

A shit show.

Apparently the person on stage tried to hype up the crowd a little too early supposedly by asking who's ready for some Melee, so we had Melee chants going on in the venue during Guilty Gear's award ceremony was just going on. At the very least, the part about the Melee chants is true, not sure about the beginning part. Regardless, not a good thing to do.

I don't think there was any booing according to Guilty Gear players. Just people being unhappy about the Melee chants during awards.

Wow, thats pretty disrespectful, I know Melee is a bigger game but jeez...

pixelish

with so much animosity between the smash community and the """fgc""" lately (prob at an all time high since melee became part of the lineup in 2013), it's only a matter of time they'll leave us and grow by themselves.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like all the different fighting game communites (NRS, Anime, 3D etc) have that much overlap, why is Smash such a problem? Because they think they should be the headliner?

.la1n

It's not like all the different fighting game communites (NRS, Anime, 3D etc) have that much overlap, why is Smash such a problem? Because they think they should be the headliner?

They are relatively new to "traditional" FGC tournaments so there are some growing pains there. To go from having your own events where your community ran the show to having TOs shuffle your community around to attempt to make it fit has be a bit of a shell shock.

Having said that, I think if any community wants to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to rule sets and block times then you need to go run your own tournaments.

I also hate how tournaments are having their slotted times for each game blown to oblivion and back because of how long it takes for a Smash game to finish. I'm not aware of any tournament that has effectively meshed Smash into its regular rotation without suffering more than the usual "tournament standard time."

Don't even get me started on how long Pokken sets can take.

It's not even about being welcoming to all communities, I'd do that anyway. I'm just saying that if I knew KI, for example, took 4 hours to get through a top 8 then I wouldn't be in shock to find myself getting less than optimal stream time or early blocks. Something has to give.

Slaythe

That's not the only issue.

It has an extremely big community.

Besides SFV, those FGC communities are within the same range.

And they are used to it, they respect one another. And they usually take turns.

There is also another trivial issue that I think mattered at CEO, Smash players, since they are so many, decided to sit through previous games to make sure they get good seats. This clogs the room and makes it difficult for the other games' communities to get in.

For GG, you had all the front row with people playing 3DS and what not, not giving a shit, even though GG had a big participation, those people had been there since KI and also gave no fuck about it.

Then there's the booing rumors (from reddit and several users) that I can't confirm as I wasn't there, but the chant was definitely true.

They are so many, so nobody can tell them anything. They're like 3 times the size of anything else besides SFV, it's a bullying situation really. They have no respect for other communities and I don't see why the FGC puts up with it TBH.

There's space for everybody but they don't want to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom