• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Somebody found a canceled 3D fighter board. A game called Kenju.

In development at Dream Factory (of Tobal and Ergheiz fame), KenJu was one of the many fighters being developed for Sammy’s Atomiswave arcade board. The game was to feature cel-shaded 3D graphics and 2d gameplay on a 3D field–similar to Capcom’s popular Rival Schools games. Work on the game seemed to have proceeded as far as location testing outside Japan (with the game being seen in London, of all places) before it was cancelled.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/08/02/lost-atomiswave-arcade-fighter-kenju-found-by-collector/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOYSo9qGxM0
kenju_750.jpg

YoungOne

Thanks guys I did a bit of youtube searching and found this guys video which helped explain some of the main mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CGXgxeCkX0

Jesus christ this game is deep...... I guess it's really good that my friend and I are learning at the same time so one isn't bodying the other.
If you need anymore help and you have a twitch give this guy a follow https://www.twitch.tv/shinkensou he does a GG stream mostly every night where he breaks down matches, mechanics, and will answer any questions that you may have.

Shouta

Tier talk on Ultrachen tonight. Generally agree with them on the Top 8 or so. I definitely don't agree with ultradavid on Birdie being bottom 5 though, lol.

Tripon

What's going on this weekend?
Topanga Charity League, VS Fighting (CPT ranking and KI ranking event), and two CPT online tournaments for Asia and Latin America.

I'll try to have the thread up Thursday night since I'm going back to work full time now. (My charter school demands like two weeks of training before the actual school year. Womp womp.)

---------

Co6aXFAWAAAG18T.jpg

Alien is the top player in SFV as well.

So Haitani is #1 now? Xyzzy is grinding too. I think he's a little underrated in SFV right now. His Birdie is ridiculous. He doesn't play much outside of Korea though.

Dahbomb

Hey, you're not NWS!

Can you recall it?
Tier Lists and top 8s.

FChamp (in order):

Ryu
Chun Li
Cammy
Ken
Karin
Nash
Necalli
R Mika

PRBalrog (also in order):

Ryu
Chun
Ken
Necalli
Cammy
Karin
Mika
Nash

Steva (no order):

Ryu
Chun
Ken
Karin
Cammy
Necalli
Nash
R.Mika (though he thinks last spot of R.Mika is variable)

James Chen (in order):

Chun
Ryu
Ken
Necalli
Cammy
Karin
Nash
R.Mika

(He said Cammy and Karin are a bit interchangeable)

Ultradavid (in order):

Chun
Ken
Ryu
Nash
Necalli
Karin
R.Mika
Cammy

They all literally had the same top 8. Man not even Marvel 3 has a defined top 8 like that (top 5 yeah is kinda set but there's quite debate over spots all the way until top 20).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I would kickstart an current gen Marvel 3 remaster with updated visuals and other added goodies. Game could play the same for all I care. The number one thing is to add a robust online play.

Dahbomb

You're right we should debate marvel top 20 right now
Top 5: Zero, Vergil, Morrigan, Dr Doom, Magneto
Top 6-10: C.Viper, Wolverine, Strider, Phoenix, Dante
Top 11-15: Nova, Spencer, Dormammu, Firebrand, MODOK
Top 16-20: Amaterasu, Akuma, Rocket Raccoon, Spider Man, Sentinel
Top 21-30: Hulk, Haggar, Hawkeye, Storm, Trish, Deadpool, Wesker, Taskmaster, X23, Viewtiful Joe, Shuma, Dr Strange, Super Skrull

It's like 3 AM right now, those last few groups probablyare something completely different after like 5 hours when I wake up.

Notes:

*Nova and Spencer used to be in top 6-10 but are moved down because they have trouble in neutral against the top 5 characters (minus Nova vs Magneto). They are still extremely strong point characters.
*C.Viper is a character that can crack the top 5 but like ONE person is playing her at near her potential. Character is just really hard to play and I think just on the point of her having some bad normals she probably will not be top 5. Forever theory craft tier.
*MODOK is very good, obviously. Many EVO top 8 someone manages to get a MODOK in there. I think if Vergil and Wolverine didn't exist then he would be top 10.
*Spider Man is a ridiculous point. If the top 5 didn't exist he would crush a lot of teams. He's kinda like Deadpool where he just needs the right player to really push him to that level (I always thought Deadpool was good too).
*Trish and Storm are about the same, while they have very weak zoning pressure they get carried by their mobility and support capability. Over the course of the game's cycle, it has been shown that if your character has strong mobility then you can make stuff happen and you can sort of neutralize the effect of tiers and character strengths.
*Amaterasu, Akuma, RR are in the category of "good anchor, great support". Excellent 3rd character options when you don't need to use Vergil or Strider.
*Sentinel would be as high as those characters only he is not as good of an anchor though that is some what nullified by him having Hard Drive which is very relevant on incoming and as a crossover counter. He can easily be 5 spots up depending on how you rate the tools but he just has a lot of bad match ups.

Last group I just threw in a bunch of characters I thought are still well within the viable slot. Not to say that characters below them can't win majors (they have already) but most of those characters have to show a bit more.

If the zoning pressure of Morrigan/Zero was different and Vergil's SS worked differently... that tier list would look A LOT different obviously. I would have Spider Man above Spencer. I would also have the big bodies a lot higher (imagine Kaneblueriver without having to deal with Zeroes and Morrigans).

Dahbomb

Tiering individual characters in MARVEL? Come on now.
I knew someone was going to come in with this statement.

It's not that hard. Like people don't make team tier lists in MOBAs or other team based games... they make tiers on individual characters. When looking at a character you just analyze its strengths/weaknesses as point AND support, match them up with other characters for synergies and then see how they match up against other characters with synergies. Think of it as assigning an overall value to a character based on their attributes.

Like clearly Dante is not a top 10 point character but as a support he's damn near Dr Doom level. That's why he's a common pick in various teams and why he is in fact a top 10 character.

If someone told me that they think Dr Doom is the best character in the game, then I can't even argue that to be honest because they would be correct in some way. Like if you random select two characters in Marvel 3, chances are if you slap Doom on to that duo it will become a team that you can win a tournament with.

CO_Andy

I would kickstart an current gen Marvel 3 remaster with updated visuals and other added goodies.
but we're only months away from the next gen :p

Marvel 3 still looks great today. Don't think there would be too many complaints should a remaster or a sequel that recycles the character models appear.

NEO0MJ

If someone told me that they think Dr Doom is the best character in the game, then I can't even argue that to be honest because they would be correct in some way. Like if you random select two characters in Marvel 3, chances are if you slap Doom on to that duo it will become a team that you can win a tournament with.

Too true. You really can just slap him on any team and it would work.

but we're only months away from the next gen :p

Marvel 3 still looks great today. Don't think there would be too many complaints should a remaster or a sequel that recycles the character models appear.

Who should handle it, though? Isn't Eighting busy with that oculus game?

When players like Justin and FChamp make tier lists they always leave Doom out of the top 5, since they seem to ignore support factor. Seems silly in a game like Marvel. Doom is incredibly valuable for what he adds to a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom