• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes no sense to me. Smash isn't forced into anything, if Smash players don't want to be part of the FGC then they don't need to be part of it. No one is forcing anything.

TO's always bring the Smash commmunity to FGC events because they bring big entrant numbers, but the two communities always clash. They are 2 entirely different crowds that will never mesh.

Nightii

Banned
Ehh, the Smash community wants to be on all the known FGC events no matter how much they posture about not being treated right, they want that attention.

Tripon

TO's always bring the Smash commmunity to FGC events because they bring big entrant numbers, but the two communities always clash. They are 2 entirely different crowds that will never mesh.

It's also that Smashers aren't interested in hosting other games. Other than Apex, no other Smash major wants to bother hosting a FGC game.

Even pokken brings out the complaints at Smash events.

Rhapsody

Banned
https://twitter.com/UltraChenTV/status/770472969802027008
@UltraChenTV
Tomorrow night on UltraChen
-no Steves
-instead, @xD1x @tafokints join us to discuss Smash/FGC compatibility

http://twitch.tv/ultrachentv 8pm PT

Should be good. I liked how before they gave their own opinion on the matter from just a Capcom/FGC point of view, and now they'll do an indepth one with people from the Smash community. Might've been what they had in mind the whole time, or possibly thanks to CurlyW since I remember him mentioning it in the Twitch chat iirc that they should do it.

Tripon

Should be good. I liked how before they gave their own opinion on the matter from just a Capcom/FGC point of view, and now they'll do an indepth one with people from the Smash community. Might've been what they had in mind the whole time, or possibly thanks to CurlyW since I remember him mentioning it in the Twitch chat iirc that they should do it.
Cool, although hiding the support D1 and tafokints have given in support of the recent Smash events. I doubt we will see much change.

Kumubou

Ehh, the Smash community wants to be on all the known FGC events no matter how much they posture about not being treated right, they want that attention.
Do Smash players really want to be at FGC events, though? The only ones they really show up to are CEO and Evo -- it seems like an afterthought at most other FG events.

And as some other posters have pointed out, in the context of eeeeeeeee-sports its fighting games that are the anomaly, not Smash. And I think that all goes back to the arcade legacy of how everyone was only as good as your last credit and how toon players were required to deal with everyone else.

I think the language barrier with a game like SF creates a natural buffer, as well.

Nightii

Banned
Do Smash players really want to be at FGC events, though? The only ones they really show up to are CEO and Evo -- it seems like an afterthought at most other FG events.

And as some other posters have pointed out, in the context of eeeeeeeee-sports its fighting games that are the anomaly, not Smash. And I think that all goes back to the arcade legacy of how everyone was only as good as your last credit and how toon players were required to deal with everyone else.

I think the language barrier with a game like SF creates a natural buffer, as well.

Like I said, the known events, aka the "big" events, so yeah, EVO and CEO. Mark my words, if for whatever reason Wizard ends up making a separate "SMASH EVO" event for them, the community will complain about not being at "the real EVO".

Producer

All I know is that you are the just the guy that loves to argue. Not in defense of anything, not because you are passionate about a game. You just love to argue.

Do you even like to play fighting games?

Lol i noticed this a while ago. Figured it was just his schtick.

FChamp vs Iheartjustice sets from Absolute Battle 7

Must watch stuff.
FChamp gets bodied by Phoenix Wright... twice.

Just seen this, great set. Fchamp couldve used attraction though..would have blown up the defense.

mbpm1

First no Johns, then no Steves?

Dahbomb

Honest question. Do Magneto players actually remember to use that move?
It's actually pretty useful, you can make the opponent run into the assist like Drones or set up mix ups with it. There is the very basic Neo mix up of pulling someone on incoming right into Missiles, the timing of which can result in a mid screen cross up.

Players use it from time to time but because you can't use it in the air it limits its application. Magento players are usually comfortable just dashing around throwing Mag Blasts.

Sayad

It's less that the move is not good and more that Magneto doesn't need it, would probably be much better on another character, like Morrigan. :p

Would have got more use if Magneto got nerffed harder coming into UMvC, remind me of how no one put much work into Millia's Chroming Rose in Xrd until she lost her free set up after DA(alpha counter).

Zissou

This randomly popped up on my twitter feed:

ungaunga21ms90.gif

I for one welcome our new gorilla overlords.

Malice215

Outside of a couple of events, Smash is either treated as an afterthought, or it's shoved into an already crowded space at FGC events when it needs its own room to breathe because of its entrants numbers.

People are going to play up the us vs them narrative to cause drama, but there's no reason that one group of nerds can co-exist with another. It's existed at CEO for years without drama, but now the increased attention and top players receiving preferential treatment and floated from pools has raised the level of stupidity and friction. It's really on the FGC TOs who want Smash at their events to keep the conflict and friction at a minimum and to filter out the legitimate concerns from the nonsense.

People also need to stop acting like top player privilege doesn't exist in fighting games. It may not be on the level of people asking for private rooms, setups and butlers, but it's always been around.

Tripon

This makes no sense to me. Smash isn't forced into anything, if Smash players don't want to be part of the FGC then they don't need to be part of it. No one is forcing anything.

I don't think forced is the right word. Expectations on the level of support and the actual differences between FGC events and Smash are one of the main issues.

Like, we keep on hearing how Doubles (2v2) is important to keep as an official event for Smash players at FGC events but then Smash players themselves dont take it as seriously, regularly not showing up for their pools for doubles.

But Smashers still want doubles to be there at FGC events and have threatened to not show up if only 1v1 is the only tournament for Smash.

Anyway, it becomes a cost/logistics issue at one point for all these demands. Like the VIP room, who is paying for that room? Should the TO separate that area just to accommodate top players? Maybe there should be an extra fee on top of their reg and entey fee to the tournament to help cover costs. Because at that point, you are taking away space that you can use to help support the main floor.

But I don't see any of that talk, just "how can we support our top players, we already ask them of so much? yadda, yadda, yadda".

Dahbomb

The Marvel patch discussion was some of the most interesting and engaging discussion I have had on GAF. A lot of stuff was learned about the game and the complexity of balancing such a game.

Line_HTX

RΛZΞR Xian ‏@XianMSG 13h13 hours ago

A gamer's true privilege is to live his passion as a "job". Fans and game company are what makes it possible. The rest is superficial. #stop

I'm guessing this was in response to all of the Smash stuff.

pixelish

The Marvel patch discussion was some of the most interesting and engaging discussion I have had on GAF. A lot of stuff was learned about the game and the complexity of balancing such a game.

yes it was fascinating to see how fan fiction writers operate.

Line_HTX

Tekken 7’s Katsuhiro Harada talks eSports ambitions, balance and fan feedback

One major thing that has changed for fighting games is the growth of eSports. After mentioning EVO, Harada went on to talk about ambitions in the eSports space and why he feels fighting games have a natural edge over the competition.

"Well, y'know, it wasn’t called eSports at the time, but fighting games have always had their own events and tournaments that they organise themselves. It’s a natural progression for us," he explains. "Although there’s pro players and that sort of thing popping up, the way that people enjoy fighting games probably hasn’t changed that much.

"Personally, I think that eSports and fighting games are a good match. If you look at other genres, for example shooters or MOBAs, they’re largely team-based, right? A fighting game is one on one, and I think that really draws out the player’s personality and because of that it’s more fun to watch – it can end up being kind of like a boxing match or something, where you have these strong rivalries and a lot of salt when people win or lose. I think they lend themselves well to spectating and the world of eSports as a whole."

When asked if the explosion of popularity for eSports has been felt on the development side, Harada admits it has, but is also coy about what that’ll mean.

"We do hope to do as much as we can with the game to make it more eSports friendly so that people who enjoy that scene can enjoy our game even more," he says. "So please look forward to more info on that."

One day there'll be a Tekken League or something akin to International Tennis Federation, aaaAAAaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom