• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightii

Banned
Does Twitter and/or r/Kappa really have that much of an impact though?
Depends on the scope. It clearly has the most impact here, where it's the only thing driving lasting discussion, given that the people that do play and talk about fighting games here are so few and play games that get mocked (all games).

Dahbomb

God culture is garbage, fighting games are not prowrestling. If the game can't become interesting to casuals on it's own then tough shit.

"Stories", give me a break.
God culture exists in a lot of games not just fighting games.

It may not be for you but other people like it and care for it which was the point they were making.

Nightii

Banned
God culture exists in a lot of games not just fighting games.

It may not be for you but other people like it and care for it which was the point they were making.
I'm aware, and other game communities are stupid as hell too for it.

People enjoying worshipping people and being treated poorly because "muh villains", I'll never respect it at all.

Tripon

If the person makes a concerted effort to attend tournaments (local or major) and in general become a more skilled player, then they're clearly not a stream monster. Wins or losses don't matter in this, only the effort does. Conversely, if they're content to just stay home and spew memes then that's all that needs to be said about them.
Hmm, okay.

Does Twitter and/or r/Kappa really have that much of an impact though?

They even mentioned, twice, how overblown Kbrad's reaction video was. Fighting games are his way of making a living but it didn't make him immune to stupid knee jerk reactions.

The individuals who made up the discussion aren't the most active players, if at all. They're just well adjusted people.

I really enjoyed the latest episode of UltraChen. Very interesting to get insight on what goes on in the Smash scene and even to hear how it compares to the FGC with perspective from Smash reps themselves.

And I'd like to see SFV at Genesis. It's gonna suck getting completely trounced by Smash in terms of numbers. Melee will probably have 2k+ while SFV gets maybe 300(since this is NorCal). Oh well, give us main stage at the Civic Center even if it's at noon with very little support from the Smash community in the crowd.

Boy do the guns suck in DMC3. Not that I was expecting much tbh (they're clearly not meant to be the primary source of attacking) but wow. I don't think I'll be doing any Gunslinger leveling until everything else is maxed. Gonna try out Royal Guard tomorrow when I get home from work.

Sayad

If the person makes a concerted effort to attend tournaments (local or major) and in general become a more skilled player, then they're clearly not a stream monster. Wins or losses don't matter in this, only the effort does. Conversely, if they're content to just stay home and spew memes then that's all that needs to be said about them.
This make it sound like stream monster and FGC member are mutually exclusive! Watching a lot of streams make you a stream monster, regardless of your position in the FGC, a lot of players fit the part for both! Though I guess most stream monsters don't actually play the games they're watching competitively, which is where the stigma comes from.

Dahbomb

Has anyone actually been floated in a tournament or is this a bunch of bitching about nothing?
It was done in a Smash tournament where the top 64 ranked players were floated directly into top 256 (out of like thousands of entrants).

Wasn't there a floating incident at Final Round a couple of years ago in Marvel?
I think it was rearranging top 32 or something so that certain players wouldn't have to play each other.

Dahbomb

Boy do the guns suck in DMC3. Not that I was expecting much tbh (they're clearly not meant to be the primary source of attacking) but wow. I don't think I'll be doing any Gunslinger leveling until everything else is maxed. Gonna try out Royal Guard tomorrow when I get home from work.
Guns usually have support purposes rather than being main damage dealers. You can chip off the armor from Cerberus with guns, take out Vergil's swords, turn Bloodgoyles into stones. But they are mainly for extended style meter by throwing in some gun shots during combos here and there. In Gunslinger mode they become better damage dealers due to better charged attacks (which you can charge during any action) and have better style gain.

Royal Guard is like gaining 3Rd Strike parry, each successful parry stores energy and you can release it. If you time the release with an enemy attack then it will do even more damage and you do an invincible dash through. It's the most powerful style but also the one with the highest skill requirement.

Malice215

Tournaments would sometimes move someone to a different side of a bracket. There's been a couple of tournaments that completely rearranged the brackets coming out of pools. The bracket shenanigans that I was used to seeing stopped once Capcom started getting involved with the pro tour and where we saw ECT banned for a year for the float that happened there.

What some of the larger Smash events have done is float the top 32 or 64 Melee players automatically into the next round after pools for arbitrary reasons. The floating plus preferential treatment has people outside of Smash riled up about it.

ShinMaruku

An alternative to floating is have invitationals where the top talent come and compete, if they think their fanbase can carry them through that have that where you don't have to float you cut the lower profile players out and you directly monitize the fan base.

That would put your money where your mouth is.

Dahbomb

A side effect of CPT is that tournaments are less likely to experiment with formats and rules for SFV. No one wants to lose the CPT support so they will follow the exact specifications of CPT.

Want to have FT5 Grand Finals in SFV? Nope can't do it.

Kinda glad that stuff like the Pasadena Regionals still exist. That's what makes FG events interesting beyond just the actual game play.

Tripon

Has anyone actually been floated in a tournament or is this a bunch of bitching about nothing?
SHINE. A Smash tournament in Boston floated top 32 this past weekend.

Edit: oh, you mean FGC tournaments. Nope, havent happened yet.
______

A side effect of CPT is that tournaments are less likely to experiment with formats and rules for SFV. No one wants to lose the CPT support so they will follow the exact specifications of CPT.

Want to have FT5 Grand Finals in SFV? Nope can't do it.

Kinda glad that stuff like the Pasadena Regionals still exist. That's what makes FG events interesting beyond just the actual game play.
CPTAsia Finals did qualifiers and a round robin tournament with a last chance play in tournament last year. However with the change in formats this year all CPT regional finals are invitonals with one open spot for last chance qualifiers.

Even before CPT was a thing tournaments were very inclined to follow the Evo standard.

One of the greater points made last night is that the traditional FGC is very resistant towards experimentation in rulesets

Edit: oh, you mean FGC tournaments. Nope, havent happened yet.
______

Well there was one time that I remembered this happening. I believe Daigo, Justin, Mike Ross, and the rest of the Americans that made it to top 16(I think) at the Gamestop tournament bypassed pools at EVO 2009. I can't recall any other time though, that may have been the last.

Line_HTX

Well there was one time that I remembered this happening. I believe Daigo, Justin, Mike Ross, and the rest of the Americans that made it to top 16(I think) at the Gamestop tournament bypassed pools at EVO 2009. I can't recall any other time though, that may have been the last.

EVO 2009 had floating, eh?

BWONG!

Last Blade is one steam now?

How is the netplay?

Valle said it was the SNK game with best netcode currently

EVO 2009 had floating, eh?

BWONG!

Yeah actually a lot of people, particularly Sabin, made a huge stink about Daigo getting floated. Especially since it was also up for question why he was at the Gamestop exhibition in the first place. Iyo was the actual player who won the Japanese National tournament at the time, and Daigo was just invited. So it wasn't just being floated, but that he didn't earn being floated on top of that.

The talk didn't stop until Daigo won Evo again in 2010 without floating.

You used to float all the time before the pool era. In fact it was part of the double jeapordy rule. Double jeapordy rule was you were not allowed to fight the same player twice unless there was no other option. So if you ran into the same person you lost to they would simply float you to the otherside of the bracket & vice versa. Now that shit is common as hell.

CurlyW

There was a Big E tournament (I wanna say either NEC 2011 or WB 2012) where they swapped opponents in the losers matches of the Marvel Top 8 bracket to avoid regional matchups. I believe the original bracket was supposed to be Unkn0wn vs. DJ Huoshen (both MD) and RayRay vs. somebody else from NYC, but they switched it so Unkn0wn played RayRay and Huoshen played the other person.

notworksafe

Swapping to avoid regional matchups is fine with me, except when its top 8. If y'all both made it to Top 8 congratulations...now play your friend. It is the way it is.

This of course depends on the size of the event. If it's something like EVO, I'd expand that to no swapping at top 32 or 64

Dahbomb

I feel like we need to make a distinction here because it seems like floating (where top players get to skip pools or rounds) and swapping brackets (to avoid certain players playing against each other due to whatever reason) are being mixed together.

The Smash thing is referring to the former ie. top players being allowed to skip pools.

I feel like we need to make a distinction here because it seems like floating (where top players get to skip pools or rounds) and swapping brackets (to avoid certain players playing against each other due to whatever reason) are being mixed together.

The Smash thing is referring to the former ie. top players being allowed to skip pools.

Why should they be allowed to skip pools & who determines who is a "top player"? Why should some people have to fight more matches just cause? So Top Players want to ho to tournaments with a built in advantage, only play like 4 or 5 sets, & sit in a VIP room away from everyone else?

Dahbomb

This is mostly for Melee as even Smash players agree that there's no need for floating in Smash 4 as the game is still new so top players are less established.

Smash has their own in depth ranking system for Melee. From what they were saying, they believe it to be very accurate and it's widely accepted within their community.

In addition , Melee is in a state where you aren't going to have Joe nobody beating Mango in pools. Hell even Mango vs a top 70 player is a 3-4 stock beat down (quoted almost exactly from last night's discussion). It makes pool sort of a slog through because it's not interesting watching these top players beat down lesser players.

They also brought up the aspect of newer players going to a tournament and then having to face a top Smash player first round of pool and get crushed with impunity. With top players skipping pools it makes pools more interesting because there's more of a surprise as to who will make it out of pools.

From TOs perspective that's less matches they have to worry about. For top players they can focus on the bigger matches (and I mean it's an obvious advantage so why wouldn't top players take this gift).

Of course I personally don't agree with it but that's their argument for it.

The VIP room thing is an over blown myth that was created from Twitter knee jerk reaction.

mitchlol

I don't believe any game should have floating... Fighting games and any game in general really are about how well you can play on the given day. Seeding I think is fine so that you don't have unfair stacked brackets/groups but simply granting a pro player immediate top 64 or whatever is a joke.

Tripon

Capcom has given up on console exclusivity for Street Fighter.

CrKoAapUsAERTbZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/771014820707524609

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom