• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been mostly out of touch with fighting game stuff for awhile, but I might want to play some again - gonna need a controller though. I heard quad mod (ps3/ps4/360/xbone) sticks are a thing now? Are they any good? I mean in terms of like reliability and lag. I ask because I'm thinking of going Hitbox and if I get one I'm gonna want it to work on everything.

This site is the first google result for "quad mod fightstick": http://www.vickomods.com/
Dunno if that guy is any good but that's the first result anyway. Thanks FGW Gaf!

Tripon

I've been mostly out of touch with fighting game stuff for awhile, but I might want to play some again - gonna need a controller though. I heard quad mod (ps3/ps4/360/xbone) sticks are a thing now? Are they any good? I mean in terms of like reliability and lag. I ask because I'm thinking of going Hitbox and if I get one I'm gonna want it to work on everything.

This site is the first google result for "quad mod fightstick": http://www.vickomods.com/
Dunno if that guy is any good but that's the first result anyway. Thanks FGW Gaf!
Look at brook universal PCBs. They around $90+ but will at any modern console.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PfKUPVp.jpg

kirblar

Huh, I guess the argument is that Puetro Rico is part of the U.S. as a territory. But then Latin America isn't a set regional area, more of a cultural identity.
Puerto Rico and the Caribbean are NA. LA effectively = CA + SA

The fixed MadCatz pad is good, it's on Amazon.

Tripon

Puerto Rico and the Carribean are NA.

The main languages for Puerto Rico is Spanish.

Yet, Mexico is considered to be part of Latin America for CPT regions.

You tell me which is physically closer to the U.S. and Canada, Mexico or Puerto Rico?

It's just Capcom making up stuff as it goes along. Capcom could have easily found another American tournament to replace First Attack as a NA ranking event, and just made First Attack as part of the Latin America circuit. Then Capcom didn't have to having SAHA run on the same weekend as EVO.

Tripon

Visa issues. Canada/USA don't require one for each other (along with some of the other Caribbean nations.)

The LA playerbase can't actually access FA easily.

Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic tournaments were part of the Latin America CPT regions though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that explanation makes no sense. The only reason they made it like it is is to have about the same amount of tournaments/points in every region and the US has a lot.

kirblar

Those players have to get Visas anyway? How many Mexican players can freely travel to Brazil?
Sure, but it's equal opportunity screwiness with that stuff in that region.

All of the NA stuff is in Canada/USA because they share a pool of players w/ free movement. Puerto Rico's part of the US- putting it in LA makes no sense, it just results in US players randomly getting LA points that actual LA players don't have access to.

Tripon

Sure, but it's equal opportunity screwiness with that stuff in that region.

All of the NA stuff is in Canada/USA because they share a pool of players w/ free movement. Puerto Rico's part of the US- putting it in LA makes no sense, it just results in US players randomly getting LA points that actual LA players don't have access to.

That happens anyway. All the L.A. tournaments near the U.S. have been won by U.S. players.

Let's assume you're right. That is the determination of why Mexico is in L.A. region vs. Puerto Rico tournaments are in N.A. region.

They're all still being won by 'foreign' competition. The only L.A. tournaments won by local talent is when U.S. players haven't flown in to snipe points. To be frank, the plan isn't working.

kirblar

That happens anyway. All the L.A. tournaments near the U.S. have been won by U.S. players.

Let's assume you're right. That is the determination of why Mexico is in L.A. region vs. Puerto Rico tournaments are in N.A. region.

They're all still being won by 'foreign' competition. The only L.A. tournaments won by local talent is when U.S. players haven't flown in to snipe points. To be frank, the plan isn't working.
Yup.

The fix is to make the tournaments a shared pool, but to have regional leaderboards that invite the top X to "CPT NA"/Asia/LA/Europe finals.

The only reason they made it like it is is to have about the same amount of tournaments/points in every region and the US has a lot.

You know, this is what I thought as well. The US has by far the strongest tournament scene for SF4 and now SFV. I don't think they wanted to drop notable US tournaments to include Mexico. Mexico would have at least 2 or 3 ranking events of their own so someone like ECT or maybe Absolute Battle would have to get cut.

I think people will continue having a problem with this next year, especially for the online events. It may not make sense geographically but I think they should keep it the same for next year. But they should divide the two LA online events into two different regions like what they've done for the Asia region to make the connections between players as good as possible.

CurlyW

Puerto Rico and the Caribbean are NA. LA effectively = CA + SA

Except the CPT event in the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks is part of the LA tour.

If First Attack is part of CPT NA, that means that if VxG still existed and was part of the pro tour, it would be part of CPT EU.

kirblar

Except the CPT event in the Dominican Republic in 2 weeks is part of the LA tour.

If First Attack is part of CPT NA, that means that if VxG still existed and was part of the pro tour, it would be part of CPT EU.
Yeah, I clarified it after, it's not all of the Caribbean.

Saw this tweet from you

https://twitter.com/CurlingW/status/772289697334763520

Very interesting and amusing. And lol at Filipinoman's response to it. The Chinese CPT event this weekend only had 50 people, but at least it has killers like Gamerbee, Humanbomb, Xian, and more. That Brazilian event was probably like a local from Nebraska or Kansas.

You have to wonder how some of these events are granted CPT status by Capcom. Or maybe Capcom just started handing it out like samples at a Supermarket so the LA region could fulfill their quota so all regions are equal.

shaowebb

Couldn't you just use a usb ethernet adapter?

I have one. And homebrew for our own server stuff etc etc and so forth. It has some different hoops on Dolphin but its still not great online for the game. It was one of the first iterations of online fighting games though. The hardware, the netcode, the hoops you have to jump through to get a quality stick on the system for the game...just all of it is rough as hell. Sucks because its a damned fine game thats hype to play. Lots of cool movesets and fun movement in that game. Its super raw on some stuff thats standard now though. The movelist in the game is chill worthy. Lots of moves for characters isn't even listed in the in game movelist like command normals or stuff for Soki's Oni Killer only Super or its unique mechanics.

If ever there was a game that would be worth seeing remastered over ported its that one. Its fantastic but its just so raw on some features. Doesn't help its a licensing nightmare as well as was likely built off of an extremely modified engine designed entirely for the Wii/PSP titles from Kamen Rider and Bleach fighting games. It'd likely only have animation files, audio, and old models as useable on any remaster project attempts.

shaowebb

FREE STUFF:

Sup folks. Got the Capcom bundle on humble bundle recently but I already own some stuff or dont care about some of it. Too lazy to modbot or even bother with spoilers so here. First come first serve. Post if gone.

PS3
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
3NNM-LNNH-LDT3

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
47GJ-R8ND-T5A4

Devil May Cry HD Collection
3MCQ-H9N7-7TQB

LOST PLANET 3
3H6Q-C3N9-NACA

PS4
Resident Evil HD
3FR6-MTNF-362H

Resident Evil 0 Remastered
3EJQ-6HN5-2CNP

PS4 sticks work fine for PC fighters right? Or are Xbox sticks definitely better? I know Skullgirls supports PS4 sticks natively but I'm not sure about other games.

NEO0MJ

PS4 sticks work fine for PC fighters right? Or are Xbox ones definitely better? I know Skullgirls supports PS4 sticks natively but I'm not sure about other games.

That depends. If it's the Mad Catz sticks there's an official downloadable driver that allows for Xinput which is what most games recognize. All other PS4 controllers generally use Dinput which isn't supported by some games, or require messing around.

Tripon

PS4 sticks work fine for PC fighters right? Or are Xbox ones definitely better? I know Skullgirls supports PS4 sticks natively but I'm not sure about other games.

Most games support D-Input (Open source that Playstation uses), but all PC games today support X-Input which was developed by Microsoft.

If you bought a new stick, they should have both.

SFV for instance still only have X-Input support and not D-Input support even after 7 months launch.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The dumb thing about all of that is that D-Input is the one any hardware and software can just use without effort. It's just that X-Input had become such a standard that many games don't.

And with fighting games that really shouldn't be the case, because those are played with all sorts of controllers.

Basically...Capcom, get your shit together.

The great thing about PC is that if it doesn't work natively in the game then you can find a program that will allow it to work. I use x360ce and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom