• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

This is Reimu. This is Reimu's Spellcard.
5urHLuO.gif

Reimu, meet Utsuho's hitboxes and damage when you use Spellcard and can't dodge much.

n78PqI7.gif

LOL!
I wasn't kidding about Utsuho's damage output in Genso Rondo. Reimu could've dodged some but it wouldn't have helped her much given Utsuho could've just point blanked that first bomb and hit even more times and faster than what she did already. Utsuho HELD BACK on that gif there.

Best bet vs Utsuho is avoid Spellcards and any moments where she can get inside on you. Keep moving and keep her away. I'm finding that not only is Marisa's star shot good to knock her away but also Sanae in general because her shots cover a ton of the screen and it death by papercuts for Utsuho if she has to keep chasing you too long... especially since Utsuho's shot range fades out at long distance and Sanae's doesnt. Sanae's special and dash special work best since you wont be using charge for spellcard and because they initially spawn a huge wall of stationary bullets so dense Utsuho can't dash fully through them then they disperse making it likely Utsuho will take even more damage on the chase. Since Utsuho's projectiles are so big you can graze against her easily for more charge even if you dont have time to use the slow dash for the big graze charges so you can keep abusing Sanae's specials in the matchup. Still rough but very close if you do this right.

Sanae Special_______________________________________________Sanae Dash+Special
o36ZmBL.gif
m1KlhyG.gif

Learning da meta and da matchups. This game is so fun.

shaowebb

Okay Touhou Genso Rondo is odd online. Connections were all fine, stable and really responsive...odd thing is there is no rematch option. You win or lose you go right back to the lobby where you create or join a room. So far I've yet to see a room with more than one person in it because of the kick back to lobby thing after a match ends.

Also you can password protect your room so only folks you give the code to can participate which is neat.

No one at all in ranked at the moment, and only a few in player. Searching for all matches at the moment.

Thing is I know I'm running into some weird shit in these rooms because one was playing as Flandre who is NOT supposed to be in the game till September 20th and I've also fought Yukari 3 times who isn't supposed to be in till October 4th. I'm not certain whats up there...playtesters maybe?

Thing is I know I'm running into some weird shit in these rooms because one was playing as Flandre who is NOT supposed to be in the game till September 20th and I've also fought Yukari 3 times who isn't supposed to be in till October 4th. I'm not certain whats up there...playtesters maybe?

Or they've come out for the japanese version already?

shaowebb

Or they've come out for the japanese version already?

When you pick up Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet, you’ll be snagging everything Japan got, plus Aya Shameimaru at release. On September 20, you’ll get a free update that will add the winner of our fan poll contest, Flandre Scarlet, and two weeks later, on October 4, you’ll get Yukari Yakumo added to your game! Once they’ve been added to the game, you’ll get to use Aya, Flandre, and Yukari in Arcade, Boss Rush, and all the versus modes.

Doesn't sound like they should be in at all yet...
On a side note something they changed from Senko no Ronde in Genso Rondo that I'm still adjusting to is the little straight meters beside my character in this game. I'm used to Senko No Ronde where the rings are the meters that show your ammo levels. You dont want to run out of a shot in these games. You need to keep from weapon recharge stuff because if you use up a weapon you can't use it again till its recharged. Shoot a little charge a little is the rhythm in these but I gotta train my eyes to look for straight lines not the rings on this one.

EDIT: There was another Flandre! sw-0418 was the user. Beat em by runaway zoning with Sanae this time. Trick is stare at your character more than their character just like in bullethell games. Unless you are dashing around your shots will aim at them and you can generally tell even if you are focused entirely on your character where the enemy shots are coming from to help you lay down setups to trap folks in corners. Course if you want up in that ass just use Utsuho.

So yeah. Another Flandre. Possibly the same one from earlier.

Malice215

I wish Kotaku was writing about the other stuff that's going on to balance out the drama that they wait a week to write about.

Nobody would be up in arms if Kage mentioned backstage area or just an area to warm up before going on stream. For a game like Smash where players take several minutes to warm up, it would be smart to have that available.

However he mentions needing an area specifically to sit back and chill as a necessity which is what your hotel room is for. Add this on top of the floating/player privilege and naturally people are going to have something to say about it.

Anyway, more important news.

http://kotaku.com/meet-kpops-answer-to-chun-li-1786307846

Beats

Translation done by SourceGaming of a column by Sakurai: http://sourcegaming.info/2016/09/07/512/

Talks about Marvel 3, Smash balance and adapting in fighters.

When you watch high level matches of Marvel, you will often see players start a combo, and keep it going until their opponent is KO’d. You can convert a single stray hit into a very long combo, and it’s not rare to see a character start with full health and lose all of it from a single combo.

Think about what it’s like to be comboed like that. Is that fun? Doesn’t that seem absurd and unreasonable? That’s what I thought, but when you get down to it, it’s not that complicated. It’s still a contest of skill between two people.

There's more in the link.

Dahbomb

That’s where my introduction about Marvel VS. Capcom 3 becomes relevant. Why is it still played at tournaments if these touch of death combos are so prevalent? I took a step back and thought about it, and came to the conclusion that it’s because that is fair, in it’s own way. A competitor has the freedom to choose the same team composition as their opponent, and pull off the same combos, if they so choose. If you think overpowered moves, links, or combos are unfair, then you should just use those techniques and win. Your opponent is doing the same thing to you. Getting hit by that combo starter is a result of the difference in skill between you and your opponent, and there’s a high amount of skill involved in converting that hit into a long combo. Watching high level matches, I didn’t feel that the character selection was particularly extremely limited, so as long as you have the freedom to choose, that’s fair.

Marvel 3 is a fair and balanced game. - Sakurai, 2016.

Doomshine

A competitor has the freedom to choose the same team composition as their opponent, and pull off the same combos, if they so choose. If you think overpowered moves, links, or combos are unfair, then you should just use those techniques and win

Pick a top tier, got it.

shaowebb

Got my first laggy set of matches off a dude named amenboy or something. I think it said california...Im in WV. I had 4 bars he had 2 showing. no frame skip. Just fade in that mentioned connection cut in a few times then cut out as the connection got better. It actually worked like slowdown in old arcade bullethells so it made the match easier. Not bad, but man they need to get a rematch option.

Starting to get the feel of the rest of the cast. Some move faster than others, some have better or worse dashes, some put out stuff to try and encase you in a sphere of bullets and others try to wall you in, while others just try to cover shit with stuff. Some are great in Boss mode, others not so much, some have strong fire rates but no spread shots and try to make up with it with homing shots.

Its a neat grab bag of styles really. The only complaint I'm having compared to Senko no Ronde DUO is that the light emission on shots is a bit too high sometimes. Makes it hard to dodge when my own shots are washing out the patterns surrounding me where as in Senko no Ronde DUO the spreads were both smaller and lower lit to allow more visibility. For that reason i'd still call Senko No Ronde DUO the king, but Genso Rondo is well worth playing and throwing down in. Too bad hardly anyone is online.

Pompadour

Got my first laggy set of matches off a dude named amenboy or something. I think it said california...Im in WV. I had 4 bars he had 2 showing. no frame skip. Just fade in that mentioned connection cut in a few times then cut out as the connection got better. It actually worked like slowdown in old arcade bullethells so it made the match easier. Not bad, but man they need to get a rematch option.

So you're the other guy in the FGC that lives in West Virginia?

shaowebb

So you're the other guy in the FGC that lives in West Virginia?

Yup. Used to be southern WV down by Huntington that had an MK/Injustice and SF/MVC crowd. Now I live in Northern WV where apparently all that exists is Smash bros and a tiiiiiiiny bit of SF. Hoping KOF catches traction soon. Not a lot of us out here sadly.

Pompadour

Yup. Used to be southern WV down by Huntington that had an MK/Injustice and SF/MVC crowd. Now I live in Northern WV where apparently all that exists is Smash bros and a tiiiiiiiny bit of SF. Hoping KOF catches traction soon. Not a lot of us out here sadly.

Yeah, I used to live in Morgantown back when vanilla SF4 came out and there wasn't really anything there except a small Smash community. I've heard the Smash community is much bigger in that area.

I live in Charleston now and there's no scene here as far as I know. Oh well, at least I have decent internet.

shaowebb

Yeah, I used to live in Morgantown back when vanilla SF4 came out and there wasn't really anything there except a small Smash community. I've heard the Smash community is much bigger in that area.

I live in Charleston now and there's no scene here as far as I know. Oh well, at least I have decent internet.

Same. I'm up by Clarksburg now. Internet is pretty good for me. Scene is pretty dead.

Least we got stuff like Tsubasacon around here to enjoy. Gameroom was fun last year with all the arcade gear. They had Senko No Ronde Duo at it. People are nice too. Not much for a scene but at least they have nice things from time to time.

Probably be better off in Ohio or Pittsburgh though for gaming scenes though.

On a side note I looked up G.Rev to see how they're doin. Looks like their current openings pay an entire whopping $1500-ish in wages. My god...no wonder they never release anything new. These dudes must be part timing it to survive out there.

Line_HTX

I wonder if Mark Cerny really had fighting game players in mind for a new DS4 pad where you'll get a more responsive and faster inputs if you hook it up via USB.

PS4 Pro with even less laggy inputs while on any game's Training Stage. BWONG!!

I wonder if Mark Cerny really had fighting game players in mind for a new DS4 pad where you'll get a more responsive and faster inputs if you hook it up via USB.

PS4 Pro with even less laggy inputs while on any game's Training Stage. BWONG!!

Weren't tests showing that DS4 on bluetooth was pretty much at the level of the best out of the box fight sticks?

Yeah, he's attending school in NY for the next 4 years.

He's on commentary right now. https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Huh would be neat if he leveled up his SF game with more talent around him now. Kid is probably the most naturally talented young player in the US since Jwong.

mbpm1

Weren't tests showing that DS4 on bluetooth was pretty much at the level of the best out of the box fight sticks?

Huh would be neat if he leveled up his SF game with more talent around him now. Kid is probably the most naturally talented young player in the US since Jwong.

the important thing is for him to come out

I don't recall him coming out for SFV lately

He doesn't show up to the tournaments then we don't see any of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom