• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Fuck, I just realized I scheduled myself for an important meeting that I can't back out now on Oct. 14th, the day SCR starts. I really hope I don't get Friday pools for SFV.

Joe helping to spread the good word

kjhlkj1ws1d.png

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here. My main game is JoJo All Star Battle. I won't be able to get at my PS3 for a while, but when I can if anyone would like to brave the terrible netcode with me, that would be cool.

In the meantime, I'd like to post some match vids here every once in a while just to share what I like about the game.

Here's Ermes vs Yoshikage Kira: (turn the sound DOWN. It peaks like crazy).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8lAv4sXhI

I also like Tekken and can't wait for Tekken 7.

pizzacat

Banned
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here. My main game is JoJo All Star Battle. I won't be able to get at my PS3 for a while, but when I can if anyone would like to brave the terrible netcode with me, that would be cool.

In the meantime, I'd like to post some match vids here every once in a while just to share what I like about the game.

Here's Ermes vs Yoshikage Kira: (turn the sound DOWN. It peaks like crazy).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8lAv4sXhI

I also like Tekken and can't wait for Tekken 7.
Thats real cool that you play that but I don't have a PS3 anymore :(, I know Astarte still plays tho

This Kira is fucking sick, but you were right on the audio especially on the ORAs

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
@Astarte: I live in Canada so I'm afraid meet-ups in person are not likely.

Maybe we played online before? I'm like, the only Kakyoin player around, lol.

There's some really cool matches for this game on NicoNico. You can learn a lot from it. I'll have to post this sick Narancia combo vid sometime.

Sorry about the sound quality, it's like that for every vid on that channel. But the content is so good.

Astarte

@Astarte: I live in Canada so I'm afraid meet-ups in person are not likely.

Maybe we played online before? I'm like, the only Kakyoin player around, lol.

There's some really cool matches for this game on NicoNico. You can learn a lot from it. I'll have to post this sick Narancia combo vid sometime.

Sorry about the sound quality, it's like that for every vid on that channel. But the content is so good.

Canada, home of Kusoge Kings. I remember playing Blade Arcus with some people from there.
I actually only played against Japanese/Korean people with Fugo/Diavolo so :V

Download better internet fam

:[

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
@Astarte: I'll take that crown, but I still think this game is legit (._.)

Also, if you only have the JP version, then I'm afraid the dream is dead anyway, since NA version can't connect with the JP version.

pizzacat

Banned
@Astarte: I'll take that crown, but I still think this game is legit (._.)

Also, if you only have the JP version, then I'm afraid the dream is dead anyway, since NA version can't connect with the JP version.
It seems like you weren't even asleep the dream never had a chance

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
Oh well. I'll still post some match vids once in a while if you guys don't mind.

Tripon

So now you’re probably wondering how the Regional Finals work, right? In short, they are the last tournament for each region to decide which player qualifies for Capcom Cup. Day one will consist of an open bracket where the top two placers go on to day two. Day two is a 16 man bracket comprised of 12 of the Ranking Event winners, two of the Online Event winners and of course the top two from the previous day.

Note that if a player wins the Regional Final and is already qualified for Capcom Cup, this will open up another spot on the global leaderboards. Also keep in mind that there is no point structure associated with Regional Finals as they only act as qualifiers for Capcom Cup.

http://capcomprotour.com/capcom-pro-tour-2016-season-details/

Flash complaining about CPT, but this one is very legitimate and Im completely behind him on this one

If they don't change the system up next year Im not going to a bunch of tournaments like I did this year. Consistency is not rewarded at all

idk make it like 2,4,6,8,10,20 or something. One first place shouldn't equal like 32 7th places

https://twitter.com/NVT_Flash/status/775187142246998016

The way the point distribution is structured right now is basically "get top 3 or GTFO". The only time getting 5th or 7th even matters is if you do it at EVO. Capcom has stuck with this structure since CPT's inception. Are they really not aware that this system isn't rewarding and people aren't happy about it? If they're willing to spread out the money, why not the points then? If you're 10 points ahead of somebody for the last spot and get knocked out in top 32, you don't even have to worry about the other guy unless he makes top 4. That's how bad it is.

Tripon

Current system rewards tournament winners. Yes, it's hard to win tournaments. It's supposed to be. There's only 32 spots and Capcom is trying to balance global diversity and having the best players possible in the tournament.

Flash lost to Anbu Punk in the Online Tournament. He has no tournament winnings, he has only one 2nd place finish. If anything, the I would argue that 1st-3rd places should get even more points than the 5th and 7th place finishers.

Flash needs to win some tournaments before he can complain about CPT points.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I thought the system was stupid the minute they announced it. People are spending so much money to go to tournaments and they actually do well but because they don't get high placing it means nearly nothing. If they are going to do things like that they mind as well only have tournaments where only the best of the best compete ala something like esports.

Hyun Sai

Current system rewards tournament winners. Yes, it's hard to win tournaments. It's supposed to be. There's only 32 spots and Capcom is trying to balance global diversity and having the best players possible in the tournament.

Flash lost to Anbu Punk in the Online Tournament. He has no tournament winnings, he has only one 2nd place finish. If anything, the I would argue that 1st-3rd places should get even more points than the 5th and 7th place finishers.

I feel bad for Flash as a former Claw player, but Tripon is right.

SmokeMaxX

Flash complaining about CPT, but this one is very legitimate and Im completely behind him on this one

https://twitter.com/NVT_Flash/status/775187142246998016

The way the point distribution is structured right now is basically "get top 3 or GTFO". The only time getting 5th or 7th even matters is if you do it at EVO. Capcom has stuck with this structure since CPT's inception. Are they really not aware that this system isn't rewarding and people aren't happy about it? If they're willing to spread out the money, why not the points then? If you're 10 points ahead of somebody for the last spot and get knocked out in top 32, you don't even have to worry about the other guy unless he makes top 4. That's how bad it is.
So a sponsored or rich player who can travel across the world to dozens of the smaller CPT tournaments only to get 8th at each one should be more highly regarded than someone who gets 2nd at Evo? I get Flash's argument, but I dunno if I'd punish players who are legit good but can't afford or take time off to go to a ton of events. That being said, it's probably in Capcom's best interest to change it because I imagine they want to encourage higher attendance in all the different events.

Doomshine

Not falling for it Oneida. Nope.

Sega is just going to announce VF figures. Styled after the VF1 models. Or PSO2 VF-related cosmetics.
The entire VF roster is being ported to DOA5, get hype.

best case scenario we're getting a standalone version of VF5 in Yakuza for ps4

So a sponsored or rich player who can travel across the world to dozens of the smaller CPT tournaments only to get 8th at each one should be more highly regarded than someone who gets 2nd at Evo?

No I don't think they should be more highly regarded. But I think the grind should count for something. If someone wins a ranking event and never attends another tournament again. I think a person who finishes 5th through 7th a dozen times should be able to pass them up at some point because they're putting in the work and finishing high consistently.

But you make a good point about how this would put sponsored player at a bigger advantage over those who can't travel. But despite that I still rather see it changed. They can still have 1st place be really rewarding without making 5th or 7th seem no different than not placing at all.

"best case scenario we're getting a standalone version of VF5 in Yakuza for ps4"

Well, you're in luck.

"I think a person who finishes 5th through 7th a dozen times should be able to pass them up at some point because they're putting in the work and finishing high consistently. "

I'd much rather have another Keoma situation than watch someone go 0-2 just because they attended every tournament.

The sponsored/traveling player already has an advantage in the current system. Daigo's in Portugal right now after traveling to NJ and losing to RayRay.

There was a ranking event in South America the weekend of Evo with players I didn't even recognize. Whoever won that event, is not going to make a difference in the big scheme of qualifications. I think Mysterio the KOF player won an early ranking event over Kbrad as well. Does he have a chance at Capcom Cup? No.

I think the point system does need to be reworked. What about the player who doesn't travel? That's what the automatic spots are for. That's how keoma got in last year.

I'm still a bit out of touch with the FGC recently so I'm not sure where is the best place to look for this. I want to get a Hitbox for 360, but Hitboxarcade doesn't sell them for last gen consoles anymore. Since it's a last gen controller, I'm thinking maybe someone has a used (or unused) one they'd want to sell, and maybe that way I could get one cheaper than buying a new one and modding it for 360.

Anyone have a suggestion for where I could look for that? Or maybe someone here has one they want to unload? I'm more interested in official Hitbox-branded ones, but an offbrand/custom made hitbox-style controller could work too.

If you're so concerned about players traveling to everything in existence and racking up points that way, you could simply take the top x tournaments for each player like the ATP rankings for tennis.

SmokeMaxX

I'm still a bit out of touch with the FGC recently so I'm not sure where is the best place to look for this. I want to get a Hitbox for 360, but Hitboxarcade doesn't sell them for last gen consoles anymore. Since it's a last gen controller, I'm thinking maybe someone has a used (or unused) one they'd want to sell, and maybe that way I could get one cheaper than buying a new one and modding it for 360.

Anyone have a suggestion for where I could look for that? Or maybe someone here has one they want to unload? I'm more interested in official Hitbox-branded ones, but an offbrand/custom made hitbox-style controller could work too.

You could look on SRK's Trading Outlet or perhaps eBay. I have a customized stick/hitbox style hybrid as well (comes with a removable Link shaft so you can choose to play either via stick or hitbox buttons). It's a custom made stick that I bought off someone else, so I don't have all the info on it. I haven't officially put it up for sale yet, but if you're interested, you can shoot me a PM.

"If you're so concerned about players traveling to everything in existence and racking up points that way, you could simply take the top x tournaments for each player like the ATP rankings for tennis."

Possibly. For a big season finale tournament, I'd still rather the points be very heavily skewed towards players who win larger tournaments. Because, solely from a spectating point of view, I'd rather just watch that caliber of player. A consistently 5th/7th place player isn't that exciting of a prospect compared to the rest of the players who make the cut through winning/placing top 3 at Evo or a Premier.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The people a flatter point rule would favour are those that are sponsored but not good enough to win tournaments. And it would become a disadvantage to players that can't travel much, but can win tournaments.
I would much rather have the latter (the John Takeuchis of the world) in Capcom Cup than someone with three team names and sponsors that can't win a local major.

I would have more sympathy if you could tell me which player is qualified that shouldn't be, because it looks like it's working out. Who should be replaced by Flash? I don't see it.

The only time getting 5th or 7th even matters is if you do it at EVO. Capcom has stuck with this structure since CPT's inception.
5th and 6th got 64 points, 7th and 8th 32 points. EVO is really the only tournament I think should have had a different point system. It has more than 10 times the amount of players even other premier events have.

And they have changed the system this year through the regional qualifiers. The absurd thing that's happening is that international players catch these spots, too.

It does reward tournament winners, but it is highly dependent on region/country. I think Daigo's 2nd place and 3rd place finishes in Japan were more impressive than his Australian and Portugal wins, yet he has way less points for the 2 Japanese events combined against just one of those wins.

Beating Nemo (2x), GO1 (2x), MOV, Haitani, Kazunoko, and John Takeuchi gave Daigo 96 points. Beating Ryan Hart, CCL, and Digos gave Daigo 128 points. How do you know which events should give out more points for a certain region/country? Well, which tournament would you assume would be harder before the tournament season was announced? Japan or Portugal? Everyone would say Japan.

Either Capcom need to change the way points are in certain countries or regions, or they need to give some countries more events. You may say everything is fair due to the equal amount of events, but some tournaments are flat out much harder to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom