• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

miku

SFV is too easy for Infiltration, so he plays GGXrdR now

CsIax5zUkAQSK7T.jpg

Malice215

The points system rewards people like Justin who can go to a bunch of events and actually win them. It doesn't reward someone who makes it to a few events in 7th place.

You could go with a more accurate points system like the one used for tennis, but the average person can barely understand the rules as they are. Plus Capcom Cup is about seeing the top 32 players in the world, which is why its so top heavy.

This is also why people need to get as many points as early as they can, because there's less events at the tail end to try to win, and by this time we already know who has a chance to make it in or not. Or you could try sniping points from Latin America.

The points system rewards people like Justin who can go to a bunch of events and actually win them. It doesn't reward someone who makes it to a few events in 7th place.

You could go with a more accurate points system like the one used for tennis, but the average person can barely understand the rules as they are. Plus Capcom Cup is about seeing the top 32 players in the world, which is why its so top heavy.

Does tennis have a thuggery rule?

You could look on SRK's Trading Outlet or perhaps eBay. I have a customized stick/hitbox style hybrid as well (comes with a removable Link shaft so you can choose to play either via stick or hitbox buttons). It's a custom made stick that I bought off someone else, so I don't have all the info on it. I haven't officially put it up for sale yet, but if you're interested, you can shoot me a PM.

Sent you a PM. I'll also check out SRK; already looked on ebay and couldn't find a thing.

Edit: Shit, sorry about the double post.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Infiltration could just sit in training mode in the dessert for a month and figure it all out. Dude's a lab monster.

CurlyW

This is also why people need to get as many points as early as they can, because there's less events at the tail end to try to win, and by this time we already know who has a chance to make it in or not. Or you could try sniping points from Latin America.

Ericke Maciel won the 27-man tournament in Brazil on EVO weekend and received 128 CPT points.

Itabashi Zangief placed 17th at EVO out of 5,000+ entrants and received 0 points.

SeemsGood

Dahbomb

Tennis has far stricter rules than any FG event. I am pretty sure if a Tennis player popped off then he would get fined for it.

I think cricket has even stricter rules. I remember a bowler getting warned and then fined for staring down a batsman when he bowled him out.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that tournament was a bit of a joke and Latin America as a whole is kind of a weaker region in general, sadly.

Malice215

Latin America is the weakest region by far, which is why people go there to snipe.

It's also silly that someone who places 16th at EVO earns the same amount of points as someone who places 5th at a ranking event, but I didn't come up with the rules.

I'd love to see CPT use a weighted points system, especially when a 20-30 man tournament earns you the same amount of points as one with hundreds of people, but that's not happening. I'll wait to see that CPT comes back for 2017 before I go in too much on how the points distribution sucks, but it's definitely top heavy.

Speaking of top heavy, can't wait to check out Mai in DOA5LR.

If EVO placings were more heavily weighted I feel like we'd be getting complaints about that too. Ultimately I think the problem is that there are way too many events that give CPT points/placings, when honestly it should be maybe 7 or 8, max.

7 or 8 in total over the whole year? That would be nuts.

There will still be non-CPT tournaments, but having multiple CPT events every weekend makes the whole thing meaningless.

People forget that the point of these kinds of tours isn't to just find the best players for the final bracket, but to establish a narrative for the competitive scene. Having so many events makes every event except Capcom Cup feel unimportant.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There will still be non-CPT tournaments, but having multiple CPT events every weekend makes the whole thing meaningless.

People forget that the point of these kinds of tours isn't to just find the best players for the final bracket, but to establish a narrative for the competitive scene. Having so many events makes every event except Capcom Cup feel unimportant.
I think the point of the CPT is actually to help local scenes that exist already out with money and exposure and to make them more attractive to travel to. Daigo just came to a Portuguese torunament, EG and many Japanese pros to one in Manila. None of this would happen if we only had the EVOs and Stunfests of the world with CPT points.

I think the point of the CPT is actually to help local scenes that exist already out with money and exposure and to make them more attractive to travel to. Daigo just came to a Portuguese torunament, EG and many Japanese pros to one in Manila. None of this would happen if we only had the EVOs and Stunfests of the world with CPT points.

I feel the same way as well. The CPT has been really good for smaller tournaments as far as attracting top players, more attendees in general, and viewers. And that has translated to more sponsors for them and a better overall experience for those attending and watching(well maybe except that Portuguese tourney lol).

Maybe they could lessen the number of ranking events though. Each region has 14 and their have been a number of events with barely 100 or less. They could also consider doing weighted point system but I really don't think they'll go there. But whatever happens I do think their will be more adjustments for next year instead of sticking to what they did this year.

if anyone has been frustrated with how PS4 has been handling enabling multiple fightsticks since 3.5, rejoice as 4.0 beta fixed it and that firmware is live tomorrow

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I was bored and wanted to see what Capcom Cup is looking like at the moment:

Qualified via Premieres
Infiltration
Tokido
Phenom
Xiao Hai
Momochi

Top 18 point holders
Justin Wong 980
Fuudo 804
Julio Fuentes 547
Daigo Umehara 523
Xian 510
NuckleDu 469
Chris Tatarian 382
Mago 374
Haitani 364
Go1 346
Yukadon 322
CCL 317
Mister Crimson 293
Eita 282
Ricki Ortiz 279
Brolynho 273
Filipino Champ 270
GamerBee 218

There are 9 more premiere slots open (counting the regional finals), but if a currently qualified person wins then more point slots open up. 1 Korean, 9 Japanese, 3 Europeans, 1 South American, 2 Chinese, 1 Taiwanese and 6 Americans.

Shaping up to be quite the finals.

The points system rewards people like Justin who can go to a bunch of events and actually win them

"them" implies you have to win multiple events. I can't say champ's overall record in sfv is better than flash's but by winning the online event, he jumped like 20 ranks.

you can talk down to 7th place but it doesn't really prove flash wrong. as a player you're better off focusing on a few events and sniping them. champ made the right decision skipping manilla cup and missing ect didn't cost him anything.

if I'm not mistaken, Sony's TGS conference is in about 12 hours.

Anybody expecting anything FG-related?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 7 had a checkerboard 4K upscale mode on PS4Pro or something

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"them" implies you have to win multiple events. I can't say champ's overall record in sfv is better than flash's but by winning the online event, he jumped like 20 ranks.

you can talk down to 7th place but it doesn't really prove flash wrong. as a player you're better off focusing on a few events and sniping them. champ made the right decision skipping manilla cup and missing ect didn't cost him anything.
But...Flash entered that same online tournament and only got 5th place.

But...Flash entered that same online tournament and only got 5th place.

And flash did better than champ at final round and combo breaker? what's your point? that he's a weaker player?

again, that doesn't change that you're better off not traveling and sniping a few events. in fact, weighting the winner so much encourages it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 7 had a checkerboard 4K upscale mode on PS4Pro or something

I expect Harada and co. to show off more Tekken 7 characters. I don't really know what other FG related thing to expect. Maybe SNK shows off more DLC costumes for KOF XIV.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
And flash did better than champ at final round and combo breaker? what's your point? that he's a weaker player?

again, that doesn't change that you're better off not traveling and sniping a few events.
My point is that Fchamp has won a tournament and Flash hasn't. He has done better.
Flash lost to Fchamp and Sabaody. Like...what price would he expect?

That online tournament is basically "sniping an event", too.

I don't think that was Capcom's explicit goal with setting this up, though I suppose it's what the tennis pro tour is. It depends on if the qualification process is designed to allow local up and comers (who can't travel) the opportunity to qualify for Capcom Cup, or to reward top players who make the effort to travel as much as possible.

Then again maybe they didn't anticipate the same players taking so many premier spots and making this such a points game.

Tripon

BTW, Capcom shouldn't be doing the online events. With the way online is, it's dumb to hold events like that where players can rollback, lag switch potentially just have a bad connection with each other. The infrastructure isnt what it should be to support it like Capcom wants.

_____

As for Fchamp vs Flash.

Fchamp has the better results than Flash. Even taking out the Online event win, Fchamp has multiple top 3 finished, finishing 3rd at 3 different CPT ranking events vs. Flash finishing 2nd once at Combo Breaker.

Flash just needs to win more. The fact he's complaining shows that he's coming in short for this.

And yes, a 1st place win at a tournament should mean more than 32 7th place finishes at the tournament. Unless people think finishing 7th that many times is an accomplishment?

Malice215

Previously people complained about there being too many US centric events. Now we have an equal number of ranking events across regions, but you can't have events with 27 people or flat out cancelling like GAMES16 did, so some fat needs to be trimmed from the schedule.

I wasn't expect anything FG related, but I did add the YouTube link yesterday just in case I woke up at 3am to watch it.

http://tinyurl.com/stsched

Justin winning multiple events in multiple regions means less points for others to earn. Because the points are so top heavy, it's much harder to make up ground at the end of the year if you don't win an event.

FChamp winning the online tournament yesterday bumps others out of the running with not many events left on the calendar, so people like Flash on the outside looking in are tight. He needs to git good and get out of 7th place.

My point is that Fchamp has won a tournament and Flash hasn't. He has done better.
Flash lost to Fchamp and Sabaody. Like...what price would he expect?

That online tournament is basically "sniping an event", too.

You're too fixated on flash not winning and looking at this an excuse.

1st, think of it even in a case of wasted weekends traveling to events that don't amount to change. Instead of "why bothering traveling I would have gotten into CC" think of it as "why bother traveling when I'm in the exact same place as before"

2nd, what flash is saying applies to more than him. That's why I mentioned Fchamp in my prior post.

3rd, a single first place finish being worth more than consistency is your own opinion.

FChamp winning the online tournament yesterday bumps others out of the running with not many events left on the calendar, so people like Flash on the outside looking in are tight. He needs to git good and get out of 7th place.

You mean he needs to start traveling to Latin American events.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
1st, think of it even in a case of wasted weekends traveling to events that don't amount to change. Instead of "why bothering traveling I would have gotten into CC" think of it as "why bother traveling when I'm in the exact same place as before"
So you're a player that travels to many events, never win one or atleast get 2nd regularly and want to be in Capcom Cup? Kicking out players like John Takeuchi, Misterio or MOV who cannot travel much but win whole tournaments? Nah, that would be terrible.

So you're a player that travels to many events, never win one or atleast get 2nd regularly and want to be in Capcom Cup? Kicking out players like John Takeuchi, Misterio or MOV who cannot travel much but win whole tournaments? Nah, that would be terrible.

If Misterio qualified for Capcom Cup he would be my guess for the guy who going to go 0-2

Winning a tournament isn't some sort of absolute measure of skill like you're trying to make it out to be

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Of course you picked him out of that whole argument. The whole point of Capcom Cup is to have tournaments all over the world for people to qualify locally. Someone like Misterio used his chances. He won a tournament and got second at another. Are you saying he should be overtaken by someone who attended atleast 10 tournaments and barely made top 8?

Tripon

You're too fixated on flash not winning and looking at this an excuse.

2nd, what flash is saying applies to more than him. That's why I mentioned Fchamp in my prior post.

3rd, a single first place finish being worth more than consistency is your own opinion.

You mean he needs to start traveling to Latin American events.
It's the opinion of the CPT because that's how the point are distributed.

Of course you picked him out of that whole argument. The whole point of Capcom Cup is to have tournaments all over the world for people to qualify locally. Someone like Misterio used his chances. He won a tournament and got second at another. Are you saying he should be overtaken by someone who attended atleast 10 tournaments and barely made top 8?

Again a single first place finish being worth more than consistency is your own opinion. Although that wasn't a common opinion back when ChrisG was winning everything in marvel except for Evo. Or when Infiltration never won a premier event last year.

Regardless of that opinion, in a system where a single win is valued so much, I'm saying you're better off being Misterio than Flash because you probably wasted less of your free time and energy. That's not something you can argue with.

It's the opinion of the CPT because that's how the point are distributed.

And that's why it's being discussed? Because players don't carry the same opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom