• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I don't think anyone doubted ChrisG as a highly skilled, top player in the game (except for people who don't understand the game and think he coasts off of Morrigan spam). He was never considered worse than top 2 in the game. And he got numerous #1 placements so it wasn't like he was getting just top 8s consistently.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless of that opinion, in a system where a single win is valued so much, I'm saying you're better off being Misterio than Flash because you probably wasted less of your free time and energy. That's not something you can argue with.

Well yeah, it's better to win tournaments than not. I don't think Flash set out to not place higher.

Tripon

Again a single first place finish being worth more than consistency is your own opinion. Although that wasn't a common opinion back when ChrisG was winning everything in marvel except for Evo. Or when Infiltration never won a premier event last year.

Regardless of that opinion, in a system where a single win is valued so much, I'm saying you're better off being Misterio than Flash because you probably wasted less of your free time and energy. That's not something you can argue with.

And that's why it's being discussed? Because players don't carry the same opinion?

Some players. But the Capcom Pro Tour organization at the moment thinks tournament winners should be awarded before anyone else.

They the people that matter because they they are the ones setting up the tournament.

My opinion at the moment coincides with theirs. I don't care if you want to disagree with opinion, but you shouldn't disregard what is actually there.

I don't think anyone doubted ChrisG as a highly skilled, top player in the game (except for people who don't understand the game and think he coasts off of Morrigan spam). He was never considered worse than top 2 in the game. And he got numerous #1 placements so it wasn't like he was getting just top 8s consistently.

You know what I mean

Do you want a closer comparison?

Do you think Baxter is better at Marvel than Neo because he won a single tournament?

My opinion at the moment coincides with theirs. I don't care if you want to disagree with opinion, but you shouldn't disregard what is actually there.

Uh, how am I disregarding it?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Just like everything else it's who's the better player/team that given day. The better isn't usually the winner.

Dahbomb

You know what I mean

Do you want a closer comparison?

Do you think Baxter is better at Marvel than Neo because he won a single tournament?
I know what you are saying and see your point. I think things get muddled when you are comparing international tournaments versus one and another. A 200 man bracket in Japan isn't really comparable to a 1000 man bracket in Pakistan even though on paper the Pakistani bracket would yield more points because it was a bigger tournament. Ultimately it's up to the main company holding these events to accurately rate the events. I don't think much can be gained from players attacking other players over sniping points and such... a system is set and you do whatever to optimize through it.

It was pretty easy to call Chris the best/most dominant during his prime since he was winning practically every major. The list of majors he didn't win was pretty damn short, and it happened to include every Evo.

Edit: Has anyone here either dealt with Marvelous Customs or used one of their sticks? I got a quote from them for a dual-mod hitbox and I'm curious about the comfort/utility of those acrylic cases they use. Do they have any issues with sliding around on a flat surface or using them on your lap? For reference, what I'm used to is the original Mad Catz TE, which is pretty dang comfy.

I've got one other noob question before I order this stick - I'll have to update the firmware on it for ps4 sometimes, right? Do I need any special equipment for that or do I need to make sure the stick uses a certain type of ps4 board?

This is a ps4 stick, not ps3. The dual mod is for ps4/360.

mbpm1

tumblr_ms9mqg5pOk1qk3kq5o1_250.gif

I've got one other noob question before I order this stick - I'll have to update the firmware on it for ps4 sometimes, right? Do I need any special equipment for that or do I need to make sure the stick uses a certain type of ps4 board?

This is a ps4 stick, not ps3. The dual mod is for ps4/360.

youll most likely need some software theyll provide and the code. For the ps360+ you have to get a softwarae called atmel

kirblar

It does reward tournament winners, but it is highly dependent on region/country. I think Daigo's 2nd place and 3rd place finishes in Japan were more impressive than his Australian and Portugal wins, yet he has way less points for the 2 Japanese events combined against just one of those wins.

Beating Nemo (2x), GO1 (2x), MOV, Haitani, Kazunoko, and John Takeuchi gave Daigo 96 points. Beating Ryan Hart, CCL, and Digos gave Daigo 128 points. How do you know which events should give out more points for a certain region/country? Well, which tournament would you assume would be harder before the tournament season was announced? Japan or Portugal? Everyone would say Japan.

Either Capcom need to change the way points are in certain countries or regions, or they need to give some countries more events. You may say everything is fair due to the equal amount of events, but some tournaments are flat out much harder to win.
How MTG does it is that they have a shared pool of points, but certain regions are guaranteed their top X players in the finals. That way, you ensure representation. It's a much better way to do it than the current over-complicated way.

shaowebb

OMG Orochi 4 is Musou All stars and now I can fight Toukiden and Atelier enemies in my musou. Shin Maruku where you at son its party time. Heres hoping movesets are like those in Hyrule Warriors with a dash button for cancels again. Also hoping for Gauntlet mode and the fighting game mode to return.

Sayad

Not sure why anyone would want to see average players who can't even win regular ranking events make it to CPT finals because they were grinding it out!

Ranking events points distribution is fine, what needs fixing is point distribution in bigger more stacked events. There also need to be more CPT events tiers, that Brazilian event being as legit as Combo Breaker is just silly!

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216776203]Japanese tournament players should have to fight with the nico nico chat overlay on their stations.[/QUOTE]

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Are there any TO's or players here who know whether hitboxes still require a SOCD cleaner to be tournament legal? Last I heard, people were expected to use them but I want to make sure that's still the case.

Edit: I've checked the written rules for Evo, CPT, and SCR and so far haven't found any mention of it either way.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
a bunch of Yakuza 6 demonstrations at TGS this week. Hoping we get some more information on the inclusion of VF5FS because there are many unanswered questions.

Worst case scenario:
Offline versus / arcade modes // 720p

Best case scenario:
Offline versus / online versus / training mode / costumes / arcade modes // 1080p

Likely scenario:
~somewhere in between~

pizzacat

Banned
Worst case scenario is having to play like 60 hours of the game just to reach it

Or like you have to beat the game by percentages to unlock characters

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Worst case scenario is having to play like 60 hours of the game just to reach it

Or like you have to beat the game by percentages to unlock characters

It'll probably be like VF2 in Yakuza 5: accessible from the root menu!

If players like Flash decide that it's not worth it to travel to tournaments where, for example, Justin Wong is there to cockblock, then has something gone wrong with the points system? Maybe you can argue that this type of player doesn't deserve to go to Capcom Cup, (I don't necessarily agree, given the inequity in strength of tournament fields), but surely one of the reasons to have the CPT points system in the first place is to incentivize more tournament participation, not discourage it.

If players like Flash decide that it's not worth it to travel to tournaments where, for example, Justin Wong is there to cockblock, then has something gone wrong with the points system? Maybe you can argue that this type of player doesn't deserve to go to Capcom Cup, (I don't necessarily agree, given the inequity in strength of tournament fields), but surely one of the reasons to have the CPT points system in the first place is to incentivize more tournament participation, not discourage it.

If you're supposedly one of the best US players but you're still ducking events Justin is at, you probably don't belong at Capcom Cup. I don't really see an issue with that.

I don't care who belongs in Capcom Cup. Well, not for the purposes of this discussion. The point is, how much does Capcom care if these players start dropping out of tournaments. Capcom should want more stars playing in more tournaments across the board, right? Generally in sports/games, one of the benefits of a points system is that it encourages participation. Like, The FedEx Cup gives Jordan Speith a reason to play in the Tallahassee invitational.

You could only put winners in the Capcom Cup, but, they're not doing that. So what is the need to use points instead, and, are those needs being met.

I don't care who belongs in Capcom Cup. Well, not for the purposes of this discussion. The point is, how much does Capcom care if these players start dropping out of tournaments. Capcom should want more stars playing in more tournaments across the board, right? Generally in sports/games, one of the benefits of a points system is that it encourages participation. Like, The FedEx Cup gives Jordan Speith a reason to play in the Tallahassee invitational.

You could only put winners in the Capcom Cup, but, they're not doing that. So what is the need to use points instead, and, are those needs being met.

If you're traveling purely for profit or points and aren't likely to get either at a tournament, I don't know how Capcom can possibly remedy that. Even if they move to a system that strictly rewards people who show up to the most events (giving a point for every CPT event someone enters + extra for doing well), it still wouldn't necessarily benefit someone in Flash's position.

In professional sports people get paid just for showing up (you make like 5 digits just by qualifying for the US Open in Tennis) and have salaries/sponsorships on top of that, it's not something that's relevant for second-tier Esports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom