• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're traveling purely for profit or points and aren't likely to get either at a tournament, I don't know how Capcom can possibly remedy that. Even if they move to a system that strictly rewards people who show up to the most events (giving a point for every CPT event someone enters + extra for doing well), it still wouldn't necessarily benefit someone in Flash's position.

The remedy is a flatter points system. The way it is now, only the top 2 or 3 are getting a meaningful amount of points.

I don't care who belongs in Capcom Cup. Well, not for the purposes of this discussion. The point is, how much does Capcom care if these players start dropping out of tournaments. Capcom should want more stars playing in more tournaments across the board, right? Generally in sports/games, one of the benefits of a points system is that it encourages participation. Like, The FedEx Cup gives Jordan Speith a reason to play in the Tallahassee invitational.

You could only put winners in the Capcom Cup, but, they're not doing that. So what is the need to use points instead, and, are those needs being met.

Well we have to look at the players who will get into capcom cup through points without a major win.

Rewarding consistency in Capcom Pro Tour terms currently is a player like Fuudo who played 2nd at evo and 2nd at two other tournaments that were premiers. It doesn't reward players like Flash, Itabashi Zangief or Daigo prior to him becoming a tournament sniper.

So if a tournament is held and the winner is a forgone conclusion, a player has to be sure that he can be runner up.

I think it fits their current purpose. It's to craft a narrative. Spectators are very fickle and typically only remember the 1st place winner. A difference can be made with a constant 2nd place finisher because that itself is a story.

Kalamari

No Pro Talk, eh? Mike too busy getting in that hyperbolic time chamber, gonna come back to the states with some godlike Laura play. Or maybe he's just shopping for anime stuff in his free time.

Any Tekken 7 news yet?

There's always Catherine!

But seriously, CF is easy to learn. They're having practice sessions too.
I cant learn combos in one evening, and considering ive been practicing CPE specifically for CEOtaku im too annoyed to just learn 5 second shit combos and gimp my way through a few matches.

As I mentioned on twitter though, I'm registered for catherine

cj_iwakura

I cant learn combos in one evening, and considering ive been practicing CPE specifically for CEOtaku im too annoyed to just learn 5 second shit combos and gimp my way through a few matches.

As I mentioned on twitter though, I'm registered for catherine

Who is your main? Mine didn't change that much, she just got a badass overhead(Tsubaki).

tumblr_oapg5i3Yhd1swzcd1o1_1280.png

The remedy is a flatter points system. The way it is now, only the top 2 or 3 are getting a meaningful amount of points.

That wouldn't remedy much, though, and it would arguably lead to even more complaints. If a system favors someone who consistently gets top 8/16 at the most CPT events, then someone like K-Brad would get those spots. It won't be Flash and it definitely won't be [insert your favorite lesser-known Japanese player]. Theoretically it would favor players who travel to everything (players with very rich sponsors), but realistically it favors top players in areas that have the most qualifiers (east/west coast US).

It's one thing to have a system that encourages more top players to show up consistently to big events, as opposed to something that effectively punishes players for not showing up to enough events. The tennis tour ends up being a huge grind for a lot of players which is why Serena skips a bunch of the minor events that aren't "mandatory", because she's dominant enough not to care about seeding at majors.

pixelish

evo japan press conference at tgs from 12.15-1.00pm japan time (12.15-1am est) this friday.

EVO Japan ‏@EVOJapanNews 3h
同じく9月16日(金)12:15~13:00
EVO Japanステージ(3)「本家EVO HQ特別対談」 にて、
@EVO の中心人物 @MrWiz と @MarkMan23 をお迎えしての対談。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GznFMtbgeg

Sayad

SFV regular is $59.99 and the deluxe version (season pass included) is $44.99 on PSN.

How does this make sense.....
From the guys(probably one guy) who got Juri PSN release delayed a whole week in EU because they entered a wrong date during submission! This seem fine.

Chris who? Where is Aqua and what does he think of SFV.

Didn't Aquasilk just up and quit fighting games after Sanford Kelly shamed him during the first to five they had some 2-3 years ago? Halfway serious question.

Something tells me he wouldn't like SFV, and I can't really extrapolate as to why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom