• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

People want what they want. If the people want dark/gritty aesthetics then that's what we will get.

Though we aren't at that stage yet so no need to get alarmed.

VariantX

Injustice 2 looks a lot more colorful though
much more like a DC comic

And I couldn't be happier. I grew up with sega blue skies and my eyes kind of glaze over when I see those muted and dark visuals. I never liked how alot of games at the launch of the last generation had those asthetics.

The aesthetics of MKX really put me off the game honestly. I find the colorful and fun look of street fighter v great. I suppose that may not be true for every edgy 13 year old or whatever but I think street fighter going for a dark reboot sounds horrible. Street Fighter has always been aiming for that T rating so it definitely won't be adding any kind of thing that will put it over that. Personally I think the largest factor for Street Fighter V not being a huge success is the lack of polish and completeness of the game, especially at launch. This led to many professional reviews of the game canning it, and also the steam page looking like this:
tgVDe8d.png

If only they gave SFV one more year in the oven.

shaowebb

The aesthetics of MKX really put me off the game honestly. I find the colorful and fun look of street fighter v great. I suppose that may not be true for every edgy 13 year old or whatever but I think street fighter going for a dark reboot sounds horrible. Street Fighter has always been aiming for that T rating so it definitely won't be adding any kind of thing that will put it over that. Personally I think the largest factor for Street Fighter V not being a huge success is the lack of polish and completeness of the game, especially at launch. This led to many professional reviews of the game canning it, and also the steam page looking like this:
tgVDe8d.png

Are you talking the steam page for SFV or MKX?
If its MKX the steam page looked like that because High Voltage studio shipped that port an unplayable mess. After multiple updates many of us never did recover. Well into the Jason release things were still dropping frames offline and were unplayable online even at very low settings. I know as a Radeon user I was straight up shit out of luck. It eventually became abandonware and stopped getting updates.

SFV...yeah if its that one then its what you said. Lack of polish and shipped incomplete.

Village

The aesthetics of MKX really put me off the game honestly. I find the colorful and fun look of street fighter v great. I suppose that may not be true for every edgy 13 year old or whatever but I think street fighter going for a dark reboot sounds horrible..

No, everyone likes mk, it isn't edgy 13 year old children, its ninja fighting people.

This isn't mk specific by the way, when I talk to casual people about tekken, they say they like tekken because its " more realistic" dunno how realistic satan, is but hey that's how they feel about the aesthetics.

Can we stop pretending its the mystical 13 year old edgelord, its probably your big brother and dad, your girlfriend or whoever. The concept of ninja murder is easy to get behind, not everyone likes colorful stuff.

I think MK as a franchise is self-aware enough not to be lumped in with just edgy for edgy's sake. If anything it's Injustice that took itself way too seriously.

Village

I think MK as a franchise is self-aware enough not to be lumped in with just edgy for edgy's sake. If anything it's Injustice that took itself way too seriously.

Its not about taking oneself seriously , its more about the response.

Also Injustice sold super well, it took itself seriously enough. And as super hero fan, i have no issue with super heroes telling " edgy " stories. Like i mean when you have batman v superman to compare it to and man of steel , that shit was teletubbies.

.la1n

The other thing to keep in mind is creating new characters and aesthetics has shown to be successful BUT that lives or dies based on the team you've assembled to work on it.

Imagine if SF V had gone the other direction and was more like third strike but all the characters had the same thought put into them as Ken's alternate with short hair? All the new characters in the world aren't going to push jack if random modders are more competent than your own team.

Perro

Injustice took itself way too serious? Watch batman, joker, harley or batgirl super move, straight up looney tunes.

tgVDe8d.png

The reason sfv has those reviews is because it's an early access product sold as fully finished AAA game. I think art design have nothing to do with it. MKX have very bad reviews on steam too because of the obvious reasons. And not because of its artstyle.

.la1n

I honestly didn't think prior to launch that SF V would launch at $59.99, I figured they would follow the KI method and price it cheaper, not season one KI cheap but not full price. Making the profit from individual character sales and/or season packs.

Another thing I completely glossed over but is an often overlooked part of fighting games is the sound. I feel like well orchestrated background music has taken a back seat with newer games (and never got out of the trunk in NRS' case, hell default settings in MK X are so that you can barely hear it.) Also the sound of hits, fireballs, lasers, etc. In that aspect NRS' sound effects lab did an amazing job.

KI is a love it or hate it for the most part on music for people but at least they made the effort, also has great sound effects work.

Street Fighter has always had consistently great feedback audio when you land those important hits, and that continued with SF V. I feel like the background music is a step up from IV but nowhere near approaching their 90s greats.

Tripon

So far:

Final Round: Infiltration - Nash
Norcal Regionals: Infiltration - Nash
Stunfest: Momochi - Ken
Dreamhack: Phenom - Necalli
Community Effort Orlando: Tokido - Ryu

Perro

If Capcom doesn't fix the online with this update all this hype won't mean shit. They better deliver friday or rip SFV.

Urien looking fiiiiiiiiiine

But his v-trigger needs to be him ripping the suit off!

Agreed, because it would make him the second character to get a permanent v-trigger.

Capcom made a very hype preview trailer, that's how you do it: show your next character, and then preview the next. In their case, they previewed the rest of them, which was needed. SFV hasn't been doing it for me lately, but the remaining three characters will probably get me to play again.

Kalamari

Infil was sorry that his opponent was Tokido.

James Chen sounded way too excited during top eight, like a kid riding in a fire truck or something.

Aegis seems to dissipate after 1 hit in the trailer.

I noticed that trash too. My boy De got some explaining to do telling me Aegis was his super.

Seriously I'm waiting to play Urien because of Aegis & if THAT was it for Aegis like WTF is Capcom thinking. Here's hoping that was a V-skill or some shit & he has a real Aegis as well.

Aegis seems to dissipate after 1 hit in the trailer.

I'm pretty sure it's still multiple hits. The trailer didn't show it, but Balrog got launched up away from the aegis while electrified, implying that he was already hit by the aegis before getting hit by the anti-air fireball and then falling into the aegis again.

mbpm1

I'm pretty sure it's still multiple hits. The trailer didn't show it, but Balrog got launched up away from the aegis while electrified, implying that he was already hit by the aegis before getting hit by the anti-air fireball and then falling into the aegis again.

In that case it might be two hits only

Wait and see (Urien will be playable in story mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom