• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it isn't, last year it did not hit 100k. Stream numbers were essentially the same. It hit 83k this year, last year was 80-85k. Take your nonsense elsewhere.

No it didn't. 73K was as high as it got on the main stream. Last year combined with the restreams it broke 100K this year it was at 80K with restreams.

whatever the number is, it's disappointing that a new game is treading around the same amount of last year. USF4 saw growth even without attention of a major retail release.

That's what I remembered.

Care to link or post a twitch picture?

Yeah l always take pictures of stream #s of events. Just hold your breath and I'll be right back with them, I promise.

According to Tripion's picture from CEO last year they hit 85,182 on Twitch & last year there was a Nico Restream with Japanese commentary if I recall correctly where as this year Topanga streamed Japanese commentary on Twitch which is part of that 81K.

Viewership is down. No way to BS around it.

Tripon

The evolution of Street Fighter V faces.

Cl7xXcGVYAYSd8y.jpg

Dahbomb

And so it begins... the final grind before Evolution 2016.

The stage has been set, the big tournaments have played out. We know what's good, who's good. Or at least we think we do and then EVO says "no you know nothing!"

On the SFV front I wonder how much of an impact the two newer characters will make if any. I hope PRBalrog hits the hyperbolic time chamber with Balrog and just takes EVO by storm... that would be godlike. Though players like Die and Du didn't do anything with Guile so I doubt PRBalrog can do anything with his character unless he ships really broken.

America looking pretty damn free in SFV. New game, same old crap. There are just no more excuses left now. No option selects, no vortexes, no arcades, no execution barrier, no advance releases.... this is what a level playing field (and I would argue that US still had a slight advantage because they had more events here) looks like and America continuously has failed to defend home turf. EVO is probably going to be no different.

Zackat

Yeah l always take pictures of stream #s of events. Just hold your breath and I'll be right back with them, I promise.

According to Tripion's picture from CEO last year they hit 85,182 on Twitch & last year there was a Nico Restream with Japanese commentary if I recall correctly where as this year Topanga streamed Japanese commentary on Twitch which is part of that 81K.

hype right?

Sayad

On the SFV front I wonder how much of an impact the two newer characters will make if any. I hope PRBalrog hits the hyperbolic time chamber with Balrog and just takes EVO by storm... that would be godlike. Though players like Die and Du didn't do anything with Guile so I doubt PRBalrog can do anything with his character unless he ships really broken.
Capcom have shown that they're playing it really safe with DLC characters. I doubt any of them will be on Chun/Ken/Ryu/Necalli level.

America looking pretty damn free in SFV. New game, same old crap. There are just no more excuses left now. No option selects, no vortexes, no arcades, no execution barrier, no advance releases.... this is what a level playing field (and I would argue that US still had a slight advantage because they had more events here) looks like and America continuously has failed to defend home turf. EVO is probably going to be no different.
What's more, even Europe seem to be doing better than the NA!

You think this will be the first EVO where viewship will be less than the year prior? So far every year viewers have gone up. I remember back in 09 during daigo vs Jwong the view on ustream or justin.tv(i know twitch didnt exist at that time) was around 50k. I was so hyped to see SF getting that kind of number lol. Now we have broke 200k last year. Come a long way in 6 years. You think SFV will crack 200k this year? Give me honest opinion. As for me i really can't tell. But I am leaning more towards not hitting 200k. I mean hitting 200k on the main stream not this combined crap. USFIV hit 200k+ on main stream last year. And CEO hit 85k+ on main stream last year. If do combined like last year CEO will probably be around 90k and EVO probably at 250k.

BlizzKrut

Banned
You think this will be the first EVO where viewship will be less than the year prior? So far every year viewers have gone up. I remember back in 09 during daigo vs Jwong the view on ustream or justin.tv(i know twitch didnt exist at that time) was around 50k. I was so hyped to see SF getting that kind of number lol. Now we have broke 200k last year. Come a long way in 6 years. You think SFV will crack 200k this year? Give me honest opinion. As for me i really can't tell. But I am leaning more towards not hitting 200k. I mean hitting 200k on the main stream not this combined crap. USFIV hit 200k+ on main stream last year. And CEO hit 85k+ on main stream last year. If do combined like last year CEO will probably be around 90k and EVO probably at 250k.

This year's CEO was pretty much the same as last year's, there's no BS'ing that, also this "combined crap" are streams of the official one but commentated by other languages/people, they still count whether you like it or not, not everyone likes to watch the same commentatores/hear the commentary in english.

Zissou

Question.
If a game came out that played street fighter style (ie no airdashes, no long combos, ground and neutral focused) what sorts of things would it need to really gather attention?

SF is much lighter on system mechanics than many fighters and its combos are so short. Is it the game or the name? Is it maybe the fighting style vs other fighting style martial arts theme? You can see the mind games goin on out there, but could another SF style title take off? Was Rising Thunder on its way to this before it ended? What sort of tone is needed to project this SF vibe in a successful manner?

Sorry, its late and I'm trying to chase a thought that keeps dancing around in my head but I cant nail it down. SFIV was around forever and SFV is putting up numbers. I know SFV has some bad shit goin down with it and many talk about it being capcom money that draws folks but I see genuine love for the game and its predecessor and its enough to feel that its not something folks will just let go away easily. I'm just trying to catch on to what it is that holds folks to the gameplay of this series so heavily when there are so many other things out there.

I think one of the big reasons SFV is going to stay relevant (at least in the FGC) is that despite all of Capcom's missteps, there just isn't much in the way of traditional fighters (which have an active scene) with an emphasis on simplicity/accessibility.

As you said, other 2D fighters have taken different routes to try and differentiate themselves from the competition, and these routes often (typically?) result in increased complexity. I like a lot of these games because they're mostly designed for me- somebody who already plays fighting games who is already familiar with skills needed to play them 'properly.' Of the currrent 2D fighters with active scenes (maybe best defined as having an active online community?), which are approachable to a genre newcomer?

Also, for better or for worse, many fighting games opt for an art style that emphatically appeals to a niche, which kind of mitigates the risk of the cost of making the game, as at least that niche will purchase the game and you have a small but guaranteed audience. However, this also hinders the possibility of the game expanding beyond that niche because the art style can end up being an immediate turn-off to many people causing them to ignore the game, regardless of how good everything else in the game may or may not be. (side note: I disagree with Thomasorus's assertion that younger people can't relate to the martial arts and nationality tropes that are the core of SF's design.)

Also, I slightly disagree with your premise that a game has to be grounded to be simple and neutral focused. I mean- something like Smash is gigantic and aerial combat is very important in that series. I think the issue is more that existing air dash games have a million systems and mechanics, and that leads people to closely associate the two things, but I think you could have an air dasher that's significantly simpler that what currently exists, but there just is no air dasher equivalent of SF in terms of an obvious genre entry-point for new people. (and some things, like the emphasis on chain combos over links make the combo element of air dashers potentially easier than an 'accessible' game like SF).

I'd be really interested to see how a 'introductory' air dasher would do. Like if you take Xrd’s system mechanics and:
-remove Blitz Shield
-remove Instant Block
-remove Negative Penalty
-remove Danger Time
-buff Bursts (increase the hitbox of blue burst so that they can only fail if the opposing player makes a hard read and stops their combo early, which is fine)
-(maybe) auto FD in the air if meter is available and auto FD to prevent chip death
-(maybe) remove instant kills: they have esoteric rules for comboing into them, and they don’t matter too often.
-(maybe) standardize wake-up timings: character-specific timings just unnecessarily forces memorization of a bunch of extra stuff. If oki gets too strong, nerf oki tools on a character-by-character basis.

...and then design and balance the game around those things, what would you end up with? (especially if your aimed at character designs with a bit more universal appeal than you often see in the sub genre) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know if this post is even all that coherent at this point. So many factors go into whether a fighting game is successful. We think we understand why they are or they aren't, but everybody forms their theories after the fact (myself included), crafting their hypothesis to fit the data. Hindsight bias is strong and it's very easy to think you have the answer. Regarding your original question, I think that some of the big unexplored ways of gathering attention as a new fighting game are things outside of the game itself. Free-to-play on PC from day 1 is the de facto economic model for MOBAs, the largest competitive gaming genre out there, yet basically no fighting game has attempted this (aside from Rising Thunder, which was never out of alpha(?) and was squashed when Radiant got bought out). Eventually, someone will make a fun mechanically sound fighter with excellent netcode and the DOTA 2 economic model and it could easily eclipse everything that exists right now (in terms of popularity/player base).

Skab

I have a feeling Uriens v-trigger isn't going to be aegis. I'm thinking it's going to be more like Karins powered up state and that gives him access to aegis.
and releases the thong

I'm pretty sure it's still multiple hits. The trailer didn't show it, but Balrog got launched up away from the aegis while electrified, implying that he was already hit by the aegis before getting hit by the anti-air fireball and then falling into the aegis again.

That's good to hear?

Is Rog's CA Bionic Arm?

I see you Combofiend.

BadWolf

It's kind of interesting how similar Namco, SNK and Capcom's boxer designs ended up being.

All three of Steve (T7: FR), Nelson and Balrog are in boxer shorts and a blue coat. Nelson and Balrog also have a pretty similar color scheme overall.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You really wonder how much they must be trying to one-up each other. Fighters have always released thematically similar characters within close proximity of each other.

It's like they all go drinking together and say "Hey! We're gonna make a boxer! Lets see who's is better accepted this year!" or "Here's our concepts for a new character! Think you can out-do us on this framework?!"

It's actually fun to watch the friendly jabs and (occasional lack of) reverence they have for each other.

Swarna

ZTS is right, I do remember CEO hitting 100k during SF4 last year.

The situation is different this time, though. Game was preceded by a break and Smash 4 as opposed to Melee (which gets way more people watching) last year. Overall, though, definitely can't say the viewership grew and the Japanese stream probably saw a drop for obvious reasons.

This is the first major SFV's gotten less viewers at than SF4 has last year, though. Every other one's been an improvement compared to last year so I wouldn't worry just yet.

As dumb as that Juri change looks it's nowhere near as dumb as her just having her tits out

On that note, I'm rioting if there isn't some way to make Urien show skin, whether it's V-trigger taking the suit off or charging a billion bison bucks for the classic alt.

As dumb as that Juri change looks it's nowhere near as dumb as her just having her tits out

On that note, I'm rioting if there isn't some way to make Urien show skin, whether it's V-trigger taking the suit off or charging a billion bison bucks for the classic alt.
the skintight suit under skintight suit looks super dumb. either have the cleavage or zip the outer suit. preferably the cleavage

it is never dumb to just have your tits out

i dunno guys... i kinda like the skintight under skintight.

gives it more....oomph. like, imagine an alt where she slides offjust the top...

hmm.....oh yes....

Now the real question is:

Will Urien have the metallic sounds when he blocks hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom