• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinMaruku

So that's two behind-the-scenes members of the FGC passing away in less than a month. Yipes and others just tweeted that Daniel "Mobstazzz" Frontera passed away last night. He was one of the people at ESL behind Brooklyn Beatdown, it seems. This comes right on the heels of the passing of Christopher "NinjaCW" Harris, Flipsid3's fighting game manager and longtime member of the Midwest FGC. Very sad times.

Actually 3 a fellow named DOA- Knee who was part of the western doa scene had also passed away 2 days before NinjaCW.

kirblar

Marvel vs Capcom is free advertising for Marvel properties every time it's played onstream in a tournament. It may not make as much money as say, the mobile game, but there's other reasons to keep the franchise active.

Marvel vs Capcom is free advertising for Marvel properties every time it's played onstream in a tournament. It may not make as much money as say, the mobile game, but there's other reasons to keep the franchise active.

Well if you don't screw your in-game shop security like SF5 does and produce content for it, the Marvel universe is actually big enough to give character/costumes DLC for the game to last 30 years.

Kumubou

So we can finally talk about MVC4 ? :p
Wow, rude. Can we at least talk about a good series that will never get an update, like Virtua Fighter or Melty Blood? :(

That's assuming that the numbers fighting game tournaments draw are even remotely relevant to anyone with a product worth marketing. Maybe it if was some kind of crossover between Marvel and League of Legends, but why bother with an E-tier competitive videogame?

Wow, rude. Can we at least talk about a good series that will never get an update, like Virtua Fighter or Melty Blood? :(

Melty Blood 2 will eventually happen. French Bread was supposed to work on it but the sequel to Tsukihime wasn't ready, so they didn't have enough material to do it and went for their own IP with UNIB.

As for VF... Well.

Yeah people who already dont know about these huge ass blockbuster movies coming out featuring these 50 year old characters will find out about it by watching fighting game streams. Marvel should totally move forward with a multi million dollar budget video game for that.

yeah....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea megacorp disney is really hoping to get those 20k stream viewers eyes on their characters to help their fledgling marketing department.

What?

No seriously. What?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
And on the other hand we have...

Kabam has been offered $800 million to sell the Vancouver-based mobile studio responsible for the development of high-flying brawler, Marvel Contest of Champions.
The studio's highest profile release, Marvel Contest of Champions, is also Kabam's biggest earner, and currently pulls in monthly revenues of $25 million.

FACE

Banned
these guys make it in and Nuki, itabashi, bonchan, humanbomb etc wont :/

Gotta farm latin america events next time

Farming points in latin america >>>>>>> getting top 8 at premier events.

just put in venom

Put this Venom:

venom-x2-reload-artwoanji9.jpg

we getting Marvel? Who is paying for this? Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony?

image.php

Joke aside, am I the only one that learned a shit ton of things about the Marvel Universe because of Marvel 3? I remember expecting a lot Guardians of Galaxy just because Capcom made Rocket Raccoon so amazing in UMVC3. I'm also eager to see Dr. Strange and I didn't know anything about the character and Dormamu really impressed me when I discovered it in the game. I'm also waiting for the Iron Fist series so... Maybe doing games like these has its benefits?

Horseress

image.php

Joke aside, am I the only one that learned a shit ton of things about the Marvel Universe because of Marvel 3? I remember expecting a lot Guardians of Galaxy just because Capcom made Rocket Raccoon so amazing in UMVC3. I'm also eager to see Dr. Strange and I didn't know anything about the character and Dormamu really impressed me when I discovered it in the game. I'm also waiting for the Iron Fist series so... Maybe doing games like these has its benefits?

Totally, exactly the same case here! I'd never heard of Rocket or Strange or Iron Fist until UMvC3

kirblar

image.php

This is exactly the reason that you invest in a game like this.

Casual players picked up MvC3 and MvC2 in droves.

Dahbomb

image.php

This happened to me too. Hell it happened back in Marvel 2 as well. "Oh man this Blackheart dude looks cool, I am going to look up on it!"

I don't know how effective this is, we are still talking about only 2-3 million copies of games here.

One thing is for sure, exposure of DMC characters have gotten way up with Marvel 3. Even people who have never played a DMC game know who Dante and Vergil are. Though them being good/great characters competitively helps and lot.

the fgc isn't that big thomasorus

putting unknown characters in any marvel related media has the same benefits

Yes and no. Fighting games don't have anything else than characters so that's the type of game where you can "promote" a character with the most accuracy (and Capcom are MANIACS when it comes to details about Marvel characters). There's the 3D model and the movelist, but also the way characters play and what players will do with them that will emphasize the personality of the character and will grow its story.

I'm not saying doing it is the best way to earn money, what I'm trying to say is that even Marvel probably needs a premium type of game for elitists. Why? Because people like me, who are into details about character designs et personalities, can become hooked to the Marvel universe. People already hooked or raised with Marvel can play anything with the Marvel name on it, but people like me need more and a game like MVC provides just that.

I'm sure we're on our way to getting a new darkstalkers game because everyone knows who morrigan is thanks to chris g

Can't wait for the movie.

Oh yeah, I finally got around to beating DMC3. Vergil is boring as hell to play with. Dante...eh. His characterization still blows. It's like playing as Poochie.

Pompadour

I honestly can't think of a reason why Marvel would OK another MvC game aside from that comment that a lot of Marvel people are big fans of the series (and I doubt that matters much). Maybe Sony is throwing money at them?

Coda

I really miss the Best of III weekly talk show. It just had that perfect balance of informative and fun with great interviews each week. Any updates on if they were able to continue the show somehow?

Shadoken

image.php

Lmao same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom