• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Vergil's campaign I outright quit because he's so goddamned boring to use. Dante's was a bit better, but his characterization and writing shits the bed so hard it overrides what enjoyment I got from playing the game itself.
Vergil doesn't have a campaign, he's just an extra character in Dante's campaign. Hell even when you are at the Vergil boss fight you fight a red Vergil (lul).

And see you when DMC5 comes out!

Exr

Vergil's campaign I outright quit because he's so goddamned boring to use. Dante's was a bit better, but his characterization and writing shits the bed so hard it overrides what enjoyment I got from playing the game itself.
Did you really expect good writing from DMC? Or any game for that matter?

Dahbomb

Weren't there a bunch of x-men in marvel heroes? I know Cable was in it.
Most of the important ones are in it. But Neoxon will come in and tell us that was before the mythical Marvel prerogative to stomp out the X Men characters from their games.

what beat 'em ups do you actually like, Beef? i recall you don't like Bayonetta either
Probably none of them if writing/story is the most important thing to him in these games.

As bad as DMC3's writing/characterization is, it's actually among the best in its genre. Ninja Gaiden, other DMC games, Godhand, Bayonetta etc. have even more nonsensical stories, characters or plot. Probably God of War does it better but then the game play is so inferior.

what beat 'em ups do you actually like, Beef? i recall you don't like Bayonetta either

I don't recall saying I disliked Bayonetta. Having time to play it is a different story, though.
Probably none of them if writing/story is the most important thing to him in these games.

I never said that story/writing was the most important in beat-em-ups. Just that the writing in DMC3 was so terrible it poisoned the entire experience.

Producer

nah God of War is pretty shit in that regard too. Angry man does angry things. Some cringe moments too. It has the worst of both worlds pretty much.

Producer

God of War 2 was the best one out of that trilogy. Damn near everything was on-point.

I cant really remember what happened, except for Kratos being Zeus son and then some time travel stuff happens with titans n shit.

I do agree that its the best game, it had a good balance of puzzle n fights.

Dahbomb

I like God of War, great presentation and spectacle. Game play is decent enough to be entertaining which is the point of the games. Too bad the new one is going the walking simulator route. RIP in peace. GoW2 and 3 are the best in it for sure, 1 wasn't too bad for its time either.

Tripon

https://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv

Ultrachen is live. The last surviving Tuesday show. (WinnerStaysOn is a weekly tournament.
3AQmK.gif
)

shaowebb

Oh yeah, I finally got around to beating DMC3. Vergil is boring as hell to play with. Dante...eh. His characterization still blows. It's like playing as Poochie.

THANK YOU. This is 100% why I just can't get into Devil May Cry. I love the combat but I just can't get past the 14 year old self insertion fanfic fapoff that is Dante's character. If they downplayed him to Nero levels then sure, but as is...I can't take him in older or newer games at all.

EDIT: Oooooooh so thats why this thread suddenly had several pages. Marvel had some dude say its happening lol. This thread only moves to talk about Marvel or SF player drama. All I'll say is that if we do get more Marvel it HAS to have its own community OT. It'd crush all other talk. Can't say I wouldn't be in on it either. It was a fun ride while it was happening.

shaowebb

Are there new MvC rumors or something?
I liked DMC but GOW2 was really good too.

A noteworthy streamer for SFV said MVC4 is happening. Its like...3 pages back then the hype cannons let off and the normal cycle of "oh the license", "DC vs Marvel", "Disney is opening up the license", "not gonna...but maybe could?" took place.Thats really the whole summary. At this point start doing character wish lists then discussing old meta and it'll have ran the usual course completely.

I really hope its true though...I miss the intensity and excitement in the FGC that Marvel brought out. A lot of the scene is IDGAF about most of whats out now or just sorta bouncing between titles without a lot of passion. Most Passion I see is generally from Smashers, and NRS folks. Everyone else seems to show up, abandon ship, get bored and show back up with a lot of the stuff thats out. It'd be nice to see Marvel unite and solidify viewers and players again. I was hoping KOF 14 would do it, but KOF is mainly just KOF it seems. I never see it grow past die hards and convert folks for some reason.

Dahbomb

Nero is like way worse than Dante. Nero is way more anime protagonist trope with an emo teenage love interest angle and it's played completely straight. Terrible writing and characterization all around and the design is very redundant to the series as well (a lot of casuals can't even tell Dante and Nero apart). I always cringe at his constant Kyrie screaming, not even JYB can sell that well enough.

Dante is way more self aware and played off as a joke especially in 4. If anything Nero is far more catered towards younger teenagers than Dante ever was, even admitted by the producer themselves.

I think DMC1 Dante was probably the best in terms of balance of personality. Too bad the plot, cutscene direction and dialogue in that game was bare bones or just straight up bad, definitely felt early game PS2 in production values (even though it was high end at that time).

But LUL @ DMC story/characterization. It's all about the combat and mechanics. Nothing has that free form level of combo control especially 3 and 4. The skill cap is insane, you can be playing DMC4 for 8 years and still find new stuff or find ways to self improve.

if you want that then you better pray for them to lift the ban. If we can get 5000 votes on a petition I'm working on, Obama has to read it. Then we can get mutants in marvel games again

also make sure to boycott anything from disney usa and only buy from disney japan. That'll show them

NEO0MJ

I play it for the plot >.>

I should watch some Saur. Sometimes I feel I end up doing a certain loop in action games of what I feel is that best combo to rack damage. Gotta expand my playstyle.

Dahbomb

I am going to learn Persona 4 (fighting game). Yeah yea it's a dead game, no one plays it etc. Guy who works near my office is into anime fighting games and I got to play a bunch of them because of him. I enjoyed Persona the most, mostly because it was the easiest to get into. I will be playing some Mitsuru.

I am going to learn Persona 4 (fighting game). Yeah yea it's a dead game, no one plays it etc. Guy who works near my office is into anime fighting games and I got to play a bunch of them because of him. I enjoyed Persona the most, mostly because it was the easiest to get into. I will be playing some Mitsuru.

You should get BBCF. I'd spar with you regularly.

Edit: While Persona 4 Arena is a great game, ASW basically abandoned bringing its latest balance patch to the west - we're always going to be playing a different game from Japan.

shaowebb

Potato Potahto. Some will enjoy his characterization. Some wont. Some can tolerate a more anime protagonist than Dante. Others wont.

Im one who just can't enjoy Dante is all. The gameplay is always spot on incredible though. Loved DMC3 combat, but I didn't really care for continuing to play with it on mute to get past the Dante stuff once he popped up and also muting to try to get out of the 900th "time has come and so have I" buttrocked stuff so I just stopped playing it eventually.

I miss Devil Bringer combos with Nero though. Fucking flashy. I couldn't stomach Dante enough to use him in Marvel, but I'd have gone in for Nero. Liking the character means a lot for me in fighters...kind of obvious since I stuck with Iron Fist lol.

I think it'd be a great fit honestly. Its a deep game and flashy as hell. Its got simple mode stuff for sure, but it has a ton of crazy that I've always felt would appeal to marvel folks. Its color palette is nuts on stages but if flashy lights and colors is your thing in Marvel then P4A certainly feels familiar. Always something loud to view. Tons of crazy movesets too. Just a bit easy to overwhelm folks though considering it suffers from severe system bloat. It even has status ailments.

Also fuck caring bout if a game is dead or not. If you can play it for fun its worth playing. There's never more than a dude occassionally to play TVC with and its still a thrill to turn it on and jam for awhile in the lab or solo. Same goes for most good fighting games that've been made.

Dahbomb

You should get BBCF. I'd spar with you regularly.

Edit: While Persona 4 Arena is a great game, ASW basically abandoned bringing its latest balance patch to the west - we're always going to be playing a different game from Japan.
I get enough ass beatings on the weekend in the game as it is.

And you would be surprised how many people keep asking me if I am going to get BBCF or not. It's like they assume I am big into Blazblue because I like fighting games and some anime.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Considering how Bonchan was straight ass the whole year and Nuki turnt up too late, it's all pretty justified.

yeah ok.

Some of those got in through early results, to be fair. Others like CCL and F Champ are just ridiculous though.

Mr Crimson has been consistently placing in EU tournaments for the entire year with Laura and Sim - hardly top characters. Problem is working with Alex and Dictator and is also placing.

Maybe they won't be able to overcome the tier list at the CPT finals, but they're far from jobbers.

I'm surprised - condidering this community, I thought you lot would have already picked teams for MVC4 given that we just got a whiff of it in the rumour mill.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
cpt latin america regional finals is live
https://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

brackets can be found here: http://arena.floko.tv/

keoma vs will2pac now
I don't see a bracket there, but from eventhubs:

Winners bracket
EG|K-Brad (Cammy) vs. Tubarão (Necalli)
SP|Crossover (R. Mika)
Innova|Keoma (Karin)
Kusanagi (Karin) vs. FCBR|RobKOF (Ryu)
F3|Brolynho (Necalli) vs. ChanchoKay (Laura)
DM|Baek (Nash) vs. GAM|DR Ray (Vega)
Brook|Misterio (Karin) vs. AAG|DidimoKOF (Dhalsim)
SFT|Dark817 (Alex) vs. MJ|Gama (Cammy)

Losers bracket
Ericke Maciel (R. Mika, Chun-Li)
Will2Pac (Laura)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom