• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemstar

I'd be really interested to see how a 'introductory' air dasher would do. Like if you take Xrd’s system mechanics and:
-remove Blitz Shield
-remove Instant Block
-remove Negative Penalty
-remove Danger Time
-buff Bursts (increase the hitbox of blue burst so that they can only fail if the opposing player makes a hard read and stops their combo early, which is fine)
-(maybe) auto FD in the air if meter is available and auto FD to prevent chip death
-(maybe) remove instant kills: they have esoteric rules for comboing into them, and they don’t matter too often.
-(maybe) standardize wake-up timings: character-specific timings just unnecessarily forces memorization of a bunch of extra stuff. If oki gets too strong, nerf oki tools on a character-by-character basis.

...and then design and balance the game around those things, what would you end up with? (especially if your aimed at character designs with a bit more universal appeal than you often see in the sub genre) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
61ov-BGBmlL.jpg

Kikirin

Agreed. Ibuki and Balrog players have to learn matchups to 20 other characters. Everyone else only needs to learn 2.
I do look forward to the new characters being shown off and the tech that emerges from this small window.

This, albeit with some caveats below.

if Kazunoko can get Raven tournament ready as fast as he did, then there are plenty of people that will get rog/ibuki ready

I feel like a big part of that was also due to Raven having simple yet strong and effective high-low mixups on oki when using even the most basic of stuff though. A character that can effectively win rounds starting from one knockdown - akin to the likes of Zato and Milia and such - seems more likely to steal matches from matchup inexperience than those with weaker oki potential / less ambiguous stuff.

IMO, SFV mostly isn't the same sort of game, or at least one where ambiguous mixups off knockdown is as rampant. I'm not concerned about Boxer introducing this problem. Ibuki has potential though. Keeping an eye out for the tech found and shared would combat this some, or at least help against the basic scrub-killing stuff.

A: Subject to certain conditions and restrictions, eligible partnered broadcasters get a revenue share from Bits used to Cheer for them.

I like how this sentence is full of ways you can basically end up being told to fuck off lol

I like how this sentence is full of ways you can basically end up being told to fuck off lol

i can see the future already:

"cheer Bit revenue can be used to purchase upcoming benefits such as being feature in the front page for X amount of cheer points or raise the number of icons for your channel!*"

*cheer bit funds can only be used on Twitch.com™ and cannot be converted to actual monetary funds unless a sponsored partnership of Twitch™ is established**

It's likely that SFV may not surpass last year's EVO GF numbers when Momochi and Gamerbee were playing.

That top 3 was absolutely insane, it's unlikely that SFV can follow up with that anytime soon.

That was the best top 3 ever, and, yes, not the most fair data point to compare to.

But compared, it will be.

peter0611

I only know of two people in the Melee community who dislike the long hand warmers: Mango and Scar. Scar is more of a personality now, but I remember him having to stop commentating for a second so he could tell M2k and someone else (Armada?) to start their match, after spending a week warming up. Most everyone else seems OK with it. :/

I think at a big top 8 like EVO, it's reasonable to want to warm up somewhere before you play. But once you're on that stage, there definitely needs to be an enforced time limit.

Malice215

This cheer thing is just a way for Amazon/Twitch to bring the money that people are using 3rd party services for in house. The problem is they're being so vague on who gets what from the split if any, and really benefits the streamers who are already huge on Twitch and have followers with hundreds of dollars to blow on tips. I'm watching one right now to see this feature in action.

Hand warmers are fine. The problem is you shouldn't have all the time in the world to practice combos, look at notes, talk to a coach, stare at the character select screen, view a laptop, etc. The TO/judge needs to keep things moving.

ZTS is right, I do remember CEO hitting 100k during SF4 last year.

The situation is different this time, though. Game was preceded by a break and Smash 4 as opposed to Melee (which gets way more people watching) last year. Overall, though, definitely can't say the viewership grew and the Japanese stream probably saw a drop for obvious reasons.

This is the first major SFV's gotten less viewers at than SF4 has last year, though. Every other one's been an improvement compared to last year so I wouldn't worry just yet.
I remember ceo getting 82k last year. Meanwhile both European premiers did better this year than last year.

Swarna

I remember ceo getting 82k last year. Meanwhile both European premiers did better this year than last year.

K nvm I remembered wrong.

I looked up my post history and it seems like CEO hit around that amount last year.

I would chalk it up as a net growth since that's excluding the additional melee viewers SF4 had the luxury of last year.

Shouta

Was there a JP FGC calendar that was being maintained? I want to see if I there are any events the week I'll be there or if I need to pester some people.

vulva

have you seen bone tomahawk

yeah! that movie was a great time.

Now that I'm a moviepass boy I've seen the following movies since last wednesday at theaters:

A Bigger Splash 6.5/10
The Conjuring 2 6/10
The Shallows 7.5/10
Independence day 2 4.5/10
Les Cowboys 8.5/10
Neon Demon 3.5/10

No that means you take each situation with its context, be reasonable and make assumptions with the things you seen. One of things is i belived owned by fox the other is owned by capcom features sakura in a game has been long speculated to share the same universe and exists ina time where characters like linn wouldnt show up in backgrounds

One thing is different from the other thing.

I know sass is hard, but im sure you can try again

Linn's owned by Fox? I've been trying to get confirmation of this to know how possible it is to get her in SFV. Link?

Btw your example of X from 20 years ago doesn't count because it was different then but Y from 18 years ago does count doesn't make a lot of sense.

Linn's owned by Fox? I've been trying to get confirmation of this to know how possible it is to get her in SFV. Link?

Btw your example of X from 20 years ago doesn't count because it was different then but Y from 18 years ago does count doesn't make a lot of sense.

Welcome to arguments with Village.

Brutal 1-2 from Beef and NWS.

Watching T7, how do you know when to combo, if its counterhit, what is safe or not?

There are a few basic guidelines to Tekken that if you know you can pretty much know how punishable most moves are.

Counter hits that are worth anything always have some sort of property change on CH that's how you know.

There are a few basic guidelines to Tekken that if you know you can pretty much know how punishable most moves are.

Counter hits that are worth anything always have some sort of property change on CH that's how you know.

I just don't want to look the fool. One programmer and one sound engineer that used to be an astrophysicist play Tekkan. I want to learn and play with these guys.

AAK

I just don't want to look the fool. One programmer and one sound engineer that used to be an astrophysicist play Tekkan. I want to learn and play with these guys.

The best Tekken player in America works at a bakery. Tekken's is a much easier game to learn and play than something like Blazblue or Guilty Gear. You don't need anything special to get good, just enjoyment as you would any other hobby. For all the fear mongering over its move-lists there are set number of rules you can apply while playing that helps you understand the logic of the strings instead of memorizing things one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom