• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish Tekken got rid of the difficult movement inputs. That's one of the main reasons I quit, I could never get good at BDC. That execution barrier is brutal. The feeling of being held back so greatly sucks.

AAK

I wish Tekken got rid of the difficult movement inputs. That's one of the main reasons I quit, I could never get good at BDC. That execution barrier is brutal. The feeling of being held back so greatly sucks.

It's only difficult once you want to get to the higher levels. You don't need to have that level of execution to enjoy aspects of Tekken. Every fighting game will have an execution barrier once you want to ascend to a certain level whether it be King of Fighters with the hyper hops, Mortal Kombat with its Run Cancels, Virtua Fighter with its fuzzy guards, etc. This isn't something unique to Tekken.

shaowebb

Ooh, neat Batman gear.

wf50Jye.jpg
bccFRId.jpg

It's only difficult once you want to get to the higher levels. You don't need to have that level of execution to enjoy aspects of Tekken. Every fighting game will have an execution barrier once you want to ascend to a certain level whether it be King of Fighters with the hyper hops, Mortal Kombat with its Run Cancels, Virtua Fighter with its fuzzy guards, etc. This isn't something unique to Tekken.

This is something as fundamental as movement though.

In MK only certain characters use Run Cancels. It's not a core mechanic. At worst you wouldn't be able to play your favorite character at a high level.

I reached mid level in Tekken and felt the execution barrier held me back from improving. That's frustrating.

AAK

This is something as fundamental as movement though.

In MK only certain characters use Run Cancels. It's not a core mechanic. At worst you wouldn't be able to play your favorite character at a high level.

I reached mid level in Tekken and felt the execution barrier held me back from improving. That's frustrating.

Okay, replace MKX with Soul Calibur 2 involving 2G and step guard or Soul Calibur V with Just Guard. My point still stands that many universal mechanics take time and dedication to master across several fighting games, not just Tekken.

You will experience frustration regardless of the fighting game in order to ascend to the highest level.

Okay, replace MKX with Soul Calibur 2 involving 2G and step guard or Soul Calibur V with Just Guard. My point still stands that many universal mechanics take time and dedication to master across several fighting games, not just Tekken.

You will experience frustration regardless of the fighting game in order to ascend to the highest level.

Yeah but I want my frustration to be due to my game knowledge or my play, not a hard execution barrier. I have reached the highest level of play in games without that happening.

Those other games should change too.

Of course I mean within reason. I don't need a one button input FG. IMO Tekken's movement isn't within reason.

AAK

Yeah but I want my frustration to be due to my game knowledge or my play, not a hard execution barrier. I have reached the highest level of play in games without that happening.

Of course I mean within reason. I don't need a one button input FG. IMO Tekken's movement isn't within reason.

Sure you're free to have that opinion. I'm open to changes in movement too, but I also acknowledge and appreciate the depth Tekken's movement introduces at the highest level while at the same time isn't a necessity in order to enjoy the game.

Xevren

I'm with you on your complaints of Tekken. This is coming from someone that really loves it but god it frustrates the ever living hell out of me.

And yooooo Balrog looks sooooo sick.

Man, there gonna be a million Balrog mains at evo.

Maybe. I think a lot of people will switch to mains that they've been playing for much longer should they lose a match with Balrog.

As was said earlier, EVO will be interesting for spectators due to Ibuki and Barlog. Competitors...not so much.

Kumubou

T7 keeps TR's backwalk, right... ?

That should help a lot already.
I think the issue there is that for players looking to play competitively, it's still suboptimal -- and the value of it also depends on the character, as the differences in backwalk speeds is noticeable between characters. However, people that want to get serious enough about the game to care about things like KBDCs are either going to put up with it anyway or not (and play something else).

Backwalk is a change that helps newer players more than anything. It really does help change a tendency newer players have where they just hold back to move back (like a 2D fighter) from being absolutely awful (as they shuffle their feet and go nowhere) to being mostly correct.

Moaradin

Did you watch the stream? He had to jump at him 4 times before they got the antiair to hit properly. That is a terrible sign.

I was watching when they were demonstrating his anti airs earlier and they're pretty damn good. He has like 3-4 buttons that are useful in different ranges.

Horseress

PR Rog impressions

Eduardo Perez @PR_Balrog
From what I saw:
Rog is very fast
His normals look very good including AA
His CA seems OP lol
His V-skill is extremely useful
Dash is fast

-----------------------------------------

Throw range doesn't seem far
Dash into vskill looks extremely good
buffer normal into stomp = beefy (I love it)
super isn't charge (love it)

-----------------------------------------

He's weak on wake up as usual. Not a problem imo

If Eduardo says it's good...

shaowebb

LOL! Started to screenshot gear drops from Injustice 2 vids and found this thing.

ErkB6YI.jpg

This is the new Tom Brady Special IMO.

Also ...
gHWdGEY.jpg

Apparently gear can drop with different abilities altogether. Additionally I found screens showing gear with the same ability and different percent modifiers to the ability. This tells me that drops will have varying stats within a certain range for the abilities they come with.

I'm excited for Friday. Balrog is turning out basically what I wanted Bison to play as, so I think I might give him a chance. Though I also told myself I was done with charge characters. -_-

Is his super really not a charge move? Just two qcf's?! If so, awesome!
IIRC, Capcom said that they would be getting rid of charge supers because the inputs are hard for newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom